Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3113024 - 10/11/10 08:30 PM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Josh Echo]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

Originally Posted By: Josh Echo
I don't see the appeal of flyable two-seaters at all. I thought they were terribly boring to fly and to gun from, and to fight against. And in other sims which had them, you almost never saw anyone fly them online. I'm not sure why people are excited about them here.

Ya know - not everyone likes to fly around in the latest-and-greatest-super-duper-uber-plane!

Some just want a more contiguous pilot career. Many like them simply for the challenge - heck, my current favorite is the DH2.

There are many reasons why they appeal to players, I've only named two!

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3113031 - 10/11/10 08:37 PM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Teddy Bär]  
Lukasz Offline
Lukasz  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Hello,

the list of potential 2-seaters is huge indeed. I am also a big fan of them, enjoyed flying them in other ww1 sim (RS). Here is a list of some 2-seaters which I created. I think that those are the most common ones used from September 1916 - November 1918. Yes, there are many more and I guess that you may not agree with me on this list...

Great Britain:
- BE2c - for a starter 2-seater, as the campaign starts from September 1916
- RE8 - cooperation plane for BEF through the whole 1917 and part of 1918
- Bristol F.2b - 1917/18 period. A must for me
- DH4 - advanced bomber for 1917-1918 period
- FE2b - well known pusher type plane used in 1916/17
- DH9 and DH9a - ? - that would be also some nice one

France:
- Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter - yes, this is British design, but the French also built her in pretty large numbers. Good for 1916/17 period. Can be used by BEF as well, not to mention some Eastern Front in the future... Used through 1916/17
- Salmson A.2a - great bird for the 1918 period. Also for AEF.
- Breguet XIV B.2 - already in game. 1917/18 period The A.2 would be cool, but it is only my wish. The Dev will not start building aircraft similar to the existing one frown
- Caudron G.IV - very interesting plane for the 1916/early 1917 period. Should be covered well, because of the lack of the rear gunner

Germany:
- DFW C.V - covers 1916-18 period. Already in game
- Rumpler C.IV - for the 1917-18 period - the high alt recon (the C.VII would be awesome as well, but so many planes here...)
- Hannover Cl.II or Cl.IIIa - the Germans need at least one Cl - class bird for some ground attacks - 1917-18
- Halberstadt Cl.II or Cl.IV - as above. Perhaps only one to choose - 1917-18
- LVG C.V (for 1917) or LVG C.VI (for 1918) - one of the best German 2-seaters
- some Albatros C - class ? (but there were so many of them - from C.V, C.VII, C.X, C.XII, to C.XV) 1916-18 period
- Roland C.II for 1916 ? There could be also Aviatik C.III, or Albatros C.III...

I think the dilemma can be solved only by checking the survived documentation. While I think that it is not a problem to build external models for any of them above, the problem would start with the cockpit data which is a must to sell the plane rather to have some AI-only (but AI-only for RoF would be also good IMHO)
Now, pick, let's say, four of those biggrin For me that would be: RE8, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, Hannover (or Halb) Cl.II and maybe the Roland C.II. But while there are some nice references for the first two, the German birds suffer from poor cockpit data :/

Regards,
Lucas

#3113114 - 10/11/10 09:57 PM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Mogster]  
Josh Echo Offline
Josh Echo  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bandy
It is simply another skill-set to develop and expand your experience. And yes you can engage, stay out of their field of fire, AND shoot them down.

No. Not if they do things half-way right.

Well the bold sections of your post are kinda self-contradictory aren't they??? A "well-flown two-seater" verses a well-flown scout is still a flying contest, no matter whether your
target has a sting in his tail.

Very funny. In this case, "well-flown" simply means, "flying in a constant circle at a 45 degree bank instead of flying straight and level." The status of "well-flown" for the two-seaters is infinitely easier to achieve than it is for a fighter.

Actually it is a pretty fair fight when you think about it. You still have to out fly them; it just means you can't be a one-dimensional pilot, i.e. you have to have gunnery skills as well as stick skills.

No. All he has to do is fly in a tight, slow, low-G circle, and no flying on your part will prevent you from getting hit. Which turns it into a gunnery fight, in which case you will get hit no matter how good you are, unless the other guy just happens to suck.

And what the heck is a "constant H.O." ?

I think if you were reading my posts to try to understand what I am trying to say, that this would be apparent to you already.

Originally Posted By: Mogster
Seriously when the 2 seaters start manouvering they stop firing at me as they should. With Veteran or Ace AI They fire when the pilot stops the high G stuff but not in steep turns, that's what I find anyway. I had 4 QMB's Pup against a DFW last night, mostly the DFW was manouvering so hard that the rear gunner couldn't get a shot off.

Yes, I've noticed this. In R.o.F., currently, I never die to two-seaters. In fact, I'm never even hit by them except on the very rare occasions I get impatient and screw up. But human players in two-seaters will just make tight, slow, low-G turns, and will be able to shoot directly at you the whole time. These aircraft can turn faster (and at at low G) than your aircraft can circle, meaning that you can't stay under their tail. Fighting a rear gunner, and fighting as a rear gunner, will both be very much like, as I said, a constant head-on firing pass.

#3114193 - 10/13/10 02:56 AM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Lukasz]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Lukasz
I think the dilemma can be solved only by checking the survived documentation. While I think that it is not a problem to build external models for any of them above, the problem would start with the cockpit data which is a must to sell the plane rather to have some AI-only (but AI-only for RoF would be also good IMHO)

The National Air and Space Museum has a restored CL.IV in its inventory, so that would help.

#3114300 - 10/13/10 11:23 AM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Teddy Bär]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
I know some may disagree but I'd be happy with a best guess cockpit if photos of certain areas aren't available. It used to bug me a bit in IL2 when Maddox refused to build cockpits for some aircraft because they didn't have dtailed photo's of the left side console or some such.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#3114308 - 10/13/10 11:41 AM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Teddy Bär]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I've flown the Stuka in IL-2 online wars, and that war was set up such that our ground kills advanced the front line.

What's the saying, "Fighter Pilots make Movies, Bomber Pilots make History!" Our Stuka attacks broke up a serious encirclement over a few evening's worth of missions, and that was an awesome feeling.

Also, I enjoyed offline the IL-2, switching between pilot and rear gunner.

I'm primarly interested in the Scouts these days, but the RE8 simple needs to find it's way into the game (how can there be not a single british two-seater in a game the focuses on late war aerial combat?). And I would fly it.

Especially - but that is a big order - if NeoQB manages to program an interface for doing shoots with the arty, or a system for photo recon work. Artillery was the single most powerful weapon of WW1, I'd love to see walk a line of impacts up to a specific target.

Also, weren't the german dedicated ground attack AC mostly two-seaters?

Some twin engined bombers will also be welcome, though I still think the Gotha and Handley-Page are oversized for the RoF setting.

#3115417 - 10/14/10 05:29 PM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: LukeFF]  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

Wishing I was in the La Cloche
Originally Posted By: LukeFF
The National Air and Space Museum has a restored CL.IV in its inventory, so that would help.

I'll see what I can do about getting up close for an image, I live/work in the D.C. area...
If I post from jail, will you guys bail me out? help

4x2.66 GHz Xeons, XFX 4870 1 GB, 11 GB DDR2 RAM, Win7 Pro x64, 120 GB OCZ Vertex2 (MLC, Sandforce)
26" VIZIO 1920x1200, Logitech FF 3D Pro, CH pedals, Track IR4
#3115612 - 10/14/10 09:02 PM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Josh Echo]  
Sturm_Williger Offline
Sturm_Williger  Offline

Virtual Paradise
Originally Posted By: Josh Echo
... But human players in two-seaters will just make tight, slow, low-G turns, and will be able to shoot directly at you the whole time. These aircraft can turn faster (and at at low G) than your aircraft can circle, meaning that you can't stay under their tail. Fighting a rear gunner, and fighting as a rear gunner, will both be very much like, as I said, a constant head-on firing pass.

Ah but if you bring friends as in real life, the gunner on the 2-seater will have a much harder job, as will the pilot in deciding who to attempt to evade... If you can't stay under his tail, you dive away a short distance, he'll have someone else to worry about and you can come back to ruin his day.

I think when we get flyable 2-seaters in the game, we're in for some epic online battles whoohoo No more on the deck turnfests, people will have to start using tactics, teamwork ( more than currently - not saying there isn't any ) and numbers. It's going to reflect the reality in a weird way - they'll send more, we'll send more, they'll get smarter, we'll get smarter... the future for RoF looks excellent.

Personally I can't wait ( hope hope ) for a Walfisch ( that's a really cool skin too, Bandy ). Didn't some of the RFC aces reckon it was one of the most dangerous 2-seaters to attack ? Almost the Central Brisfit of its time.

"Another glass of your loathsome, vaguely beerish frozen swill, if you please."
#3115672 - 10/14/10 10:24 PM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Teddy Bär]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

According to this exchange the Gotha will be first;

guod: "What bombers and two-seaters will be flyable?"
Jason: "Well this has been an open secret for a while, but Gotha G.V. and the Handley-Page 0/400 first then the Breguet 14 and D.F.W.CV. After that we do not know which bombers or recon birds we will build."

I do hope that is going to be the case as the Gotha would be a trip to take off and fly around. I am with the crowd that loves old airplanes and loves the beautiful models they are making for this sim. I went through the Turn and Burn stuff years ago and even though I still like a good twist and shout I also like to just fly around and take of and land these kites. Of course shooting a big Gotha down would also be a trip.

Last edited by Warbirds; 10/14/10 10:29 PM.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#3115681 - 10/14/10 10:41 PM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Teddy Bär]  
Oilburner Offline
Oilburner  Offline

Cedar Park, Tx.
I want the Gotha but then in IL2 I'll fly a mudmover any chance I get (especially the heavies).

#3116988 - 10/16/10 09:28 PM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Warbirds]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Warbirds
According to this exchange the Gotha will be first;

guod: "What bombers and two-seaters will be flyable?"
Jason: "Well this has been an open secret for a while, but Gotha G.V. and the Handley-Page 0/400 first then the Breguet 14 and D.F.W.CV. After that we do not know which bombers or recon birds we will build."

I do hope that is going to be the case as the Gotha would be a trip to take off and fly around. I am with the crowd that loves old airplanes and loves the beautiful models they are making for this sim. I went through the Turn and Burn stuff years ago and even though I still like a good twist and shout I also like to just fly around and take of and land these kites. Of course shooting a big Gotha down would also be a trip.

I have been praying every night for a year that the gotha series would make it into RoF asap. I cant wait. Sadly I wish they would have started with the earlier gothas though. I would love to see each one of the series modeled. They are basically the same so it shouldnt take too much time.

#3121503 - 10/22/10 09:21 PM Re: So no one noticed the Breguet 14 & DFW C.V snapviews? [Re: Teddy Bär]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Brisfit and RE8 are the two planes I'd like to fly...love the look of the RE8 and the Brisfit was a great fighter aircraft once they got the tactics right...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.