Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2999863 - 04/23/10 01:09 AM Drones ... Droning On and On  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
I've re-updated the Drones missions I created some time ago and I wanted to make them available to everyone.

What are Drones? Well it's a special type of mission that's designed to improve your gunnery.

We're probably all familiar with the Russian Roulette missions but more often than not the shots available in those missions are fleeting snap shots and don't really help all that much when you're trying to get comfortable with the whole concept of shooting from a bucking bronco while aiming at another bucking bronco.

And, after all, they shoot back which can ruin your chances of getting a shot back.

So, using Ming's Basic Circuit template, I created a mission in which all opposing aircraft are flying a racetrack pattern around the airbase while you, in the aircraft of your choice, can fire at them to your hearts content. The program thinks all aircraft are on the same side so they won't manuver (well, anymore than all aircraft bob and weave in this game) and they won't fire back.

That means you can practice your approach and gunnery. I found it very helpful to not only improve my gunnery but also to set up joystick curves to minimize the twitchiness found in some of the aircraft.

It now contains all current aircraft (up to and including the Fokker D7f) so just download it, IMPORTANT STEP: Create a folder in your ROF/Missions folder (I call mine Drones ... duh) and extract all the files into that folder. Then, in single player mode, when you go into Missions you'll see a subfolder called Drones and within that you'll be able to choose the aircraft you want to fly.

If you already have a Drones folder ... DELETE IT ... then create another folder, you may need to name it something like New Drones to make it work ... and extract all the files into that folder.

Get it here ...

New Drones.rar

Some of the War Hawks have used it and like it, we hope you will as well.

WH_JoeBob

I'm a Chickenhawk and you're my victim, ya gonna come along quiet or do I gotta muss ya up?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3066852 - 08/04/10 04:07 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
Ikarushin Offline
Ikarushin  Offline

WH_JoeBob,

Thank you very much for these New Drones missions. For over a week I have RoF and in the last mission of the Training Campaign it became clear that I needed more shooting exercise. Your missions are giving that!

May I suggest that you upload these New Drones missions to the Airwarfare site as well? When I first searched for training missions, I downloaded the Drones missions from Airwarfare. The missions didn't work and only when searching for a solution I came across the topics about this problem here on SimHQ. The New Drones missions work fine. But maybe it is a good idea to remove the old rar file from Airwarfare and replace it by the new file?

Thanks again for providing these (much needed) missions.

Kind regards,
Ikarushin

#3071925 - 08/12/10 04:03 AM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: Ikarushin]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for the suggestion.

I've updated the Drones mission to include all aircraft as of Aug. 2010 and posted it on the Airwarfare site ...

For those who'd like the new improved version you can get it here:

New V1 Drones

Glad it's been of help, I keep going back to it and I believe it's helped my gunnery significantly ... and sometimes it's just fun to shoot down defenseless aircraft ar15

WH_JoeBob

I'm a Chickenhawk and you're my victim, ya gonna come along quiet or do I gotta muss ya up?
#3071965 - 08/12/10 05:53 AM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Thanks for taking the time to update the Airwarfare download JoeBob. thumbsup
I appreciate it.

I updated the news article on the website so everyone who reads it will know that you have updated the download.
http://www.airwarfare.com/index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=23

www.war-hawks.net.
You have to use the url tags if you want to create a link in your download page description.
Code:
[url=http://www.war-hawks.net/]www.war-hawks.net.[/url]
The same thing applies to a news article.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3073561 - 08/14/10 04:21 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
Ikarushin Offline
Ikarushin  Offline

WH_JoeBob,

Thanks for the update. With this 'extended version' the sky has become even more target rich. Great!

Kind regards,
Ikarushin

#3082672 - 08/29/10 12:08 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: Ikarushin]  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

WH_JoeBob,

I do need to improve my high speed interception and gunnery and I am sure this will be just the ticket, thanks.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

One of the stupidest things in game design is the lack of uncertainty given to the player

"beatings will continue until morale improves" brought to you by Ubisoft DRM!
#3097950 - 09/20/10 11:39 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Is this mission still available somewhere?

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3097983 - 09/21/10 12:38 AM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Originally Posted By: Barkhorn1x
Originally Posted By: Barkhorn1x

Have you tried the link posted above as "New V1 Drones"?

It looks like it still works to me but perhaps it's gone south, sometimes they do.

WH_JoeBob

#3102442 - 09/27/10 07:45 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Did not work for me before. But I'll hit it again tonight.

Thanks.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3102621 - 09/27/10 11:59 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Worked. Thanks.

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3219187 - 02/26/11 06:47 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
Murph Offline
Murph  Offline

Aurora,CO,USA
I love this set of missions! Just the thing for fine tuning my stick settings for each plane, as well as practicing gunnery.
Will they be updated to include some of the newer planes, such as the Pup and Sop Triplane or the DVIII?

Intel i5 2500K CPU @4.0,Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 MB (turbo) GTX 1060 6G, 16G DDR3, Windows 10 Home 64 bit- "N�or bhris focal maith fiacail riamh."
#3225814 - 03/06/11 01:00 AM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm glad you're enjoying them Murph.

If you want to shoot me a PM with your email I'll send you a zip file that adds the DVIII, Pup and Tripe ... I haven't yet added the HP 0/400 or Gotha ... and the skies are getting a little crowded but if you'd like them included just let me know, it's an easy fix.

WH_JoeBob

#3336102 - 07/06/11 06:32 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
WPO_Jones Offline
WPO_Jones  Offline

Would this mission work in a cooperative multiplayer server? Sounds like a good one for bringing new squad members into the fold.

I'm pretty new, so you would just drop the contents of the zip into the new Drones folder in the multiplayer section?

#3339752 - 07/11/11 07:11 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
WPO_Jones Offline
WPO_Jones  Offline

By the way, this series of missions seem to be busted in the latest version of the game. They never finish loading when trying to play them and they will crash the mission editor if you try to open them up. I tried the V1 version of the missions.

#3364781 - 08/11/11 08:10 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Okay, let's take your questions in order ...

1) It can be done, but it would take some time to create the extra aircraft for each of the missions. If you can give me an idea of which aircraft you'd like to run coops for I can throw something together. That being said, I'm going to be on the road quite a bit for the next bit so I may not be able to jump right on it. It would also help if you could give me your email address via a PM here so I can send the new missions directly to you.

2) I'll have to look into creating these in multiplayer mode and where they'd be stored but I can figure that out once I get the missions created.

2) Go into your Missions/New Drones folder and delete any files with the .msnbin extender. In the past that's been the problem and deleting those files allowed you to run the missions even after the new patch.

Joe

#3364881 - 08/11/11 09:57 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
WPO_Jones Offline
WPO_Jones  Offline

Originally Posted By: WH_JoeBob
Okay, let's take your questions in order ...

1) It can be done, but it would take some time to create the extra aircraft for each of the missions. If you can give me an idea of which aircraft you'd like to run coops for I can throw something together. That being said, I'm going to be on the road quite a bit for the next bit so I may not be able to jump right on it. It would also help if you could give me your email address via a PM here so I can send the new missions directly to you.
No need. I've been messing with the editor and should be able to do this myself.

2) I'll have to look into creating these in multiplayer mode and where they'd be stored but I can figure that out once I get the missions created.
Same as above.

3) Go into your Missions/New Drones folder and delete any files with the .msnbin extender. In the past that's been the problem and deleting those files allowed you to run the missions even after the new patch.

Joe
Thanks, hope this is it!

Many thanks for your reply.

#3374878 - 08/25/11 09:35 PM Re: Drones ... Droning On and On [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
WPO_Jones Offline
WPO_Jones  Offline

Confirmed. Deleting all files with the .msnbin extension allow these missions to function in the latest version of RoF (1.020 right now).

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.