Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3095033 - 09/16/10 05:56 PM New to RB3D  
Redhornet Offline
Redhornet  Offline

I have been playing IL2 for a few years and now have a hankering to fly the contested skies in WW1 again. I have a copy of RB3D and haven't played it in 9 years and now I'd like to (boxed CD 3D game that I bought in 2000, not RB2). I've read through the 2 treads that are stickied, but lots of the links are invalid and I found much of the info confusing as I have no idea what all the acronyms are, etc.

The last machine RB3D was on was a Pentium 2 with a VooDoo card but now I have a Dell, Intel Pentium 4 2 ghz, 2 gig ram, 70 gig HD, ATI Radeon 9800 gpu, Windows XP SP3 and all USB CH Products HOTAS. Where is there a simple, easy to follow guide for installing RB3D on such a machine?

Also, with regard to mods/patches, is there a mod package that enables me to use TrackIR with RB3D? I'd also love to use the audio/visual enhancement mods too, which are the most recommended ones to use?

Sorry if these requests are a bit to generalized and thanks for any assistance anyone can render!

~S~!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3095338 - 09/17/10 12:48 AM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Redhornet]  
Redhornet Offline
Redhornet  Offline

Really, no one is playing this anymore? Well I kinda expected everyone to have gone to Rise of Flight, but if anyone has suggestions/advice, I'd love to hear it!

#3095492 - 09/17/10 08:51 AM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Redhornet]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Hi RH and welcome to RB3D!

Skidmark is a bit plethoric and keeps sticky that whopping bunch of info outdated without realizing that, instead to help, just confuses newbies; sorry Skid, but someone should have made this understood, soon or later.

Well, this is my advise to get RB3D updated:

1). Start from a clean install of RB3D.

2). Download the most popular Glide Wrapper, suited for RB3D, from here
and set according instruction at following link (see: "Setting up dgVoodoo for Red Baron 3D"):
http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/dgvoodoo.htm

Note: Glide Wrapper allows you to play in Glide mode (much better graphics and even mandatory to play some unofficial game enhancements) although not having a Voodoo 3DFX vidcard. It is just a little file having a DLL extension, which replaces the stock one.

3). Download and install following utility, that also enables to use Track-IR:

ReLoad 1.166 - find it at von Oben's site at page "Red Baron 3D - Misc Files" (scroll toward bottom).

So far, the basics to play "stock" RB3D, in Glide mode and with Track-IR.

To get an excellent and easy to install set of audio and visual graphics enhancements, please download and install as follows:

a). Hell's Angels Super Patch self-extracting executable

b). Update by last "Service Pack": HASP service pack 3a self-extracting executable

c). Terrain tiles and ground objects zip file (replace files having VOL extension in your 3Dpatch folder of your RB3D installation.

I think this is enough for now. Try it and let me know. If you feel yourself confident, I can suggest latest updates to apply to above mentioned UOP (UnOfficial Patch).

Have fun!
GB

#3095684 - 09/17/10 03:00 PM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Redhornet]  
Redhornet Offline
Redhornet  Offline

Awesome! Thankyou Greybeard! I'll give this all a go this weekend!

I'll definately let you know how it all goes!

#3096322 - 09/18/10 12:03 PM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Redhornet]  
Swordfish Offline
Swordfish  Offline

Skåne, Sweden
S! Redhornet,

Greybeard forgot to mention the "RB3D First Aid Kit".

The "RB3D First Aid Kit" helps get Red Baron 3D running properly on newer, faster PCs running Windows XP. It addresses video, sound, joystick, and game speed issues. The kit contains a "wizard" program that can help you install the appropriate programs and files, based on your PC’s hardware and software configurations. The "wizard" can also uninstall "first aid kit" files and programs. The "RB3D1078.exe" patch is also included (you need this patch to see on-line servers).

On my RB3D web site, I have a tutorial describing how to get started with RB3D with download links to RB3D First Aid Kit and other useful patches. It includes instructions for how to get started in Multiplayer online flying.

S!wordfish
pilot

Last edited by Swordfish; 09/18/10 12:04 PM.
#3096439 - 09/18/10 04:46 PM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Swordfish]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted By: Swordfish

Greybeard forgot to mention the "RB3D First Aid Kit".

Please add "PERHAPS" before your sentence.

Actually, I did not forget anything.

First Aid Kit, according to people who need to use it, serves only on 64 bit systems, and perhaps for that crappy MMP, while the rest of users complained about problems added by FAK, instead to solve any.

I would suggest to RH to follow literally my guidelines, trying FAK only as "last resource" if he has some unsuited system to play RB3D (e.g.: Windows 7/64 bit).

Regards
GB

#3096501 - 09/18/10 07:01 PM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Redhornet]  
Wailwulf Offline
Wailwulf  Offline

The one thing I can add is after:

1). Start from a clean install of RB3D.

2). Download the most popular Glide Wrapper, suited for RB3D, from here
and set according instruction at following link (see: "Setting up dgVoodoo for Red Baron 3D"):
http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/dgvoodoo.htm

Test the game and if all works, MAKE A COPY. That way you will always have a ready to go, it works copy of Stock RB3D.

SO GB, did you leave patch to 1078 out on purpose, or do you have reasons to leave it out. For without it MP is un-available.

#3096841 - 09/19/10 08:07 AM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Wailwulf]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted By: Wailwulf

SO GB, did you leave patch to 1078 out on purpose, or do you have reasons to leave it out. For without it MP is un-available.

Honestly, I can't understand need of 1078, because, just from beginning, I could play MMP with my RB3D as "out of the box"; perhaps is italian version which got fixed... dunno. But I always saw listed all servers. Later I would add 1078 to only an install of mine, fashinated by all "wonders" told by MMPers about it... but no juice: I still got exactly same things previously already available. It doesn't harm, though; so, if RH want (or need) to add, please do it! Smile2

GB

#3098176 - 09/21/10 09:51 AM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Greybeard]  
Swordfish Offline
Swordfish  Offline

Skåne, Sweden
Originally Posted By: Greybeard
First Aid Kit, according to people who need to use it, serves only on 64 bit systems, and perhaps for that crappy MMP, while the rest of users complained about problems added by FAK, instead to solve any.

I would suggest to RH to follow literally my guidelines, trying FAK only as "last resource" if he has some unsuited system to play RB3D (e.g.: Windows 7/64 bit).

My experience is different, which is why I advocate the use of RB3D First Aid Kit.
It helped me to get RB3D running on my 32 bit Windows XP system, the only additional modification needed was some Glide wrapper tweaking.

I was only trying to help by offering some additional info about how to get the game going on a modern PC. I leave it up to Redhornet to decide what guidelines he wishes to follow.

As for MMP being "crappy", well that is obviously a question of personal preferences. The fact that RB3D still has an MMP community some 12 years after the release of the game indicates that the MMP mode must have at least some attractive features. I prefer MMP to SP myself, because I like to fly in teams with other human pilots and I consider it a bigger challenge to fight against human pilots. I also like the challenge of trying to find the best tactics in different MMP tournament match scenarios. But like I said, SP or MMP is a matter of personal taste.

Best regards
Swordfish
pilot

#3101560 - 09/26/10 10:05 AM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Swordfish]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
I wanted to poll about FAK question to give it some "political correctness" and did it on Delphi/SWWISA Forum. Please see attached current result.

FAKpoll

It shows so far that use of First Aid Kit either helped or was irrelevant. None voted it was "harming" installation.

Accordingly, I want correct my previous statement, sorry.

GB

#3104949 - 10/01/10 03:11 AM Re: New to RB3D [Re: Greybeard]  
Skiddmark Offline
Skiddmark  Offline

Glenville WV USA
I looked at that sticky thread with a very critical eye, prepared to do a massive re-edit. Instead I was very impressed! Some links are dead but nowhere is there more critical information about RB3D basics than in that post. It is incredibly informative and is not meant to solve all issues but to create a basis if further enumeration is needed.
If there are specific errors which need to be addressed or suggestions for improvement I am always eager to listen and make appropriate changes.

Computer = PHENOMX3
MOBO: ASUS M4A78 Plus
OS = Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Home Edition (5.1,build 2600)
Processor = AMD 8750 triple core 2.4GHz
RAM = 3328 MB
DX 9.0c
Nvidia GeForce GS 250, 512MB
Realtek HD audio
Disk Drives:
Floppy's: D: HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21L, E: ASUS CD-S480/A5
HD's: C:ST3250310AS 250Gb
F: Maxtor 6L250S0 250Gb
H: SM_USB20 flash drive 4Gb
Monitor: Proscan 32" LCD TV in VGA mode.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.