Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3092595 - 09/13/10 08:38 AM the future  
Icarus999 Offline
Icarus999  Offline

So what does the future hold for Yap? Have you guys given any thought to producing some quality payware that is not based on the actual stories of U.S. Air crew in Vietnam? Perhaps some what if scenarios,or missions based on different conflicts entirely.

As TK continues to work the bugs out of the strike fighter engine, and is making some real progress in the last few patches it seems it would be a shame to call it quits.

Just curious-

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3092773 - 09/13/10 03:49 PM Re: the future [Re: Icarus999]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
We have one mission set to go. It is also firmly anchored in reality.

As a matter of personal opinion, I think that history is much more interesting than fantasy. The only reason people rely upon fantasy is that they don't know the details of things that have really gone on. They have heard snippets of stories in elementary school told as boring yarns stripped of the things that interest people...blood, sex, fear, victory. By the time they can hear real history, it is usually a college course they are forced to attend that contains everything that happened from the time Homo Habilis used a rock to crack a nut to the French Revolution. The time from there to the present is usually summed up in a few paragraphs. Napolean Bonaparte gets two paragraphs. The Soviet Union, one.

As Harry Truman said, "The only thing new is the history you don't know." All history is full of stories that people would like to hear. Human stories, not just generals or leaders. In YAP, because of our stories' sources, you usually flew as a wingman, were sent where they wanted you and were challenged to do something terribly dangerous for dubious rewards. I have lived forty years beyond the sacrifice of my best friend in a secret war in Laos that few know about and fewer care about.

Yankee Air Pirate has tried to retell tales from Vietnam without political slant or too much emotion. It was our goal to have you find out more, form your own opinions and feel what there is to be felt about the event. Sometimes those feelings would be the joy of just getting through it. Sometimes, you might feel accomplishment at succeeding in a mission by flying the aircraft skillfully. And sometimes, you might feel wonder at the men to did these things and ask yourself "could I have done that?" Hollywood plays music and tells you when and what to feel. We thought that was as cheap shot considering our demographic. Our email tells us that with a large number of people we succeeded. They came back for more. Those people seeking a First Person Shooter were disappointed in the skills and time required and did not.

My favorite story in YAP is the one about Bernie Fisher...a mission that I doubt anyone flies. I heard that story while was in in flight school in Arizona and later met him in Corona(?), CA. I also heard about Pardo's Push, KC-135 pilots going into North Vietnam to refuel dying Thuds, PJ's doing the impossible, rescues in Haiphong Harbor and other acts of selfless bravery. Later reading revealed that Marine DI's say that men are very easily trained to die for their friends and are very hard to train to kill someone else. It's who we are. I concluded that ordinary people do the most extraordinary things in the most extreme situations. The answer to the question "could I have?" is: almost certainly.

As much as America has hated its enemies, its soldiers have always given the Devil his due. The Vietcong and NVA kept coming even though they knew that US firepower always wiped out their divisions in lopsided losses and that they were overwhelmingly unlikely to see home again. Study of the Pacific War might easily make you despise some Japanese leaders but reading the words of mere boys sent to fight for, as well as against, Japan reveal an amazing willingness to give it all away. Impressed and perturbed by the sacrifice of Kamikaze's? How about Torpedo Eight at Midway? Humans have amazing characteristics.

Fantasy is thin soup compared to reality.

Frankly, I think our attachment to reality is one of the things that makes Yankee Air Pirate a good (nearly unknown) work of history. When Rising Sun is out and running, I am going to sit down and fly all the YAP missions again. This time for pure enjoyment. After all, I AM a Yankee Air Pirate.

zerocinco

Last edited by zerocinco; 09/13/10 03:54 PM.
#3093549 - 09/14/10 02:53 PM Re: the future [Re: zerocinco]  
Thuddriver Offline
Thuddriver  Offline

Chicago, IL.
Looking forward to the final set - wish there were more - so many stories, so little time - thanks for giving us a taste of how things were and the incredible odds our men and women faced daily and carried out their missions without hesitation. Makes one proud to be an American!

"Short wings on a long body do not make a nimble plane, a fact that will haunt Thunderchief pilots in the years to come."
#3094821 - 09/16/10 01:03 PM Re: the future [Re: Icarus999]  
soulfreak Offline
soulfreak  Offline

Schapen / Germany (near the ho...
Well for the Future,
I think it would be worth to think about
YAP2 for Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam....

I love animals.
My favorite animals are:
Bunnys and Chicks.
#3094955 - 09/16/10 04:01 PM Re: the future [Re: Icarus999]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
We will know more about that procedure once Rising Sun is out.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.