Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3073437 - 08/14/10 10:55 AM Cable connection advice please  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
I have a nvidia GTX 280 graphics card which has a DVI output.

I know that if I use a DVI cable from it to a Monitor with DVI input I will get ( my desired ) resolution 0f 1920 x 1080 picture.

What i want to do is connect from the same DVI output to a Projector also running at 1920 x 1080. At the same time.

I was thinking that I could have a DVI splitter on the graphics card output, and from that a DVI to DVI cable to the Monitor; and also from the splitter, a DVI to HDMI cable to the projector.

Would that work, i.e. I would have a picture on the monitor and on the projector?
Most of the time I would use one or the other, depending when I'm flying the sim (PJ) or setting things up etc ( monitor )?

Or is my thinking technically wrong somewhere.

Advice would be appreciated - TIA

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3073444 - 08/14/10 12:08 PM Re: Cable connection advice please [Re: Cas141]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
You do have another HDMI or DVI on the card, don't you? Or are you already using that one?

Because when you select 'clone' for the display type, it is the same as splitting one cable. You'll get the game screen running on both displays, no matter if one is turned on or off.

[EDIT] I have not played with a DVI cable splitter myself, but AFAIK the DVI-out needs to be of the DVI-DL type (Dual Link).

Last edited by JAMF; 08/14/10 12:12 PM.
#3073498 - 08/14/10 03:01 PM Re: Cable connection advice please [Re: JAMF]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Most likely you will send half-strength signal to each display if you simply split it. Supposing you use a passive splitter and it works, it will be a device like this:

Passive Splitter

But if the image quality suffers because one DVI port from your card can't power two displays, at least the cheap price of the splitter will still make it a worthwhile venture.

Then you will have to fork over a little extra. Here is a powered DVI multiplier:

DVI Multiplier

That's a pricey one, but it gives you an idea of the type of device you might need. I advise you to shop around of course.

The exception to the rule here is when video card manufacturers purposely design a card with only one output port but provide a splitter for dual monitor output. In this case, they output enough power from one port for it to work properly.

By the way, I speak from professional experience. I've spent years installing AV equipment in university classrooms. We always used a VGA multiplier to send signal from one port to the monitor and to a ceiling-mounted projector. When you cut the power to the multiplier (thus making it a passive device) you notice the image dim considerably on both displays.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3073625 - 08/14/10 06:19 PM Re: Cable connection advice please [Re: letterboy1]  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Originally Posted By: letterboy1
Most likely you will send half-strength signal to each display if you simply split it. Supposing you use a passive splitter and it works, it will be a device like this:

Passive Splitter

Letterboy - thanks for this. Hmmm it does seem as though it might be an idea just for me to have a projector running from the graphics card - DVI to HDMI and that's it. !
It will mean running the PJ lamp longer, but I won't need a monitor nor one of those expensive Power splitters.!
( I do have another computer for internet and general use, so the PJ is really only for when I'm flying the sims.)

But if the image quality suffers

The whole venture is to get better image Quality - 1920 x 1080pHD - so I don't want any image quality suffering thru the power being split.

Then you will have to fork over a little extra. Here is a powered DVI multiplier:

DVI Multiplier

That's a pricey one,

Yes it is . Hence my Projector only option.

The exception to the rule here is when video card manufacturers purposely design a card with only one output port but provide a splitter for dual monitor output. In this case, they output enough power from one port for it to work properly.

Hmm = As I say, It is a nVidia GTX 280. How do i know if it is such a card as you refer to above?

[i]By the way, I speak from professional experience. I've spent years installing AV equipment in university classrooms. We always used a VGA multiplier to send signal from one port to the monitor and to a ceiling-mounted projector. When you cut the power to the multiplier (thus making it a passive device) you notice the image dim considerably on both displays.

At the moment I have a big CRT Monitor ( Got to go, need the room ),and a projector both connected via VGA cables, and I can switch between the two via a switch box, but I'm wanting to upgrade to a 1080pHD projector, which is what this is all about. Thought i'd get a 1920 x 1080 DVI monitor as well, hence the original question, but it seems very expensive to get both running!

Last edited by Cas141; 08/14/10 06:21 PM.

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.