Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3068809 - 08/07/10 09:10 AM Bad News For The RAF  
NineLives Offline
NineLives  Offline

Shropshire UK
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsb...One-levels.html

Proposals to shrink the RAF to the size it was 100 years ago.

Quote "The entire force of 120 GR4 Tornado fighter-bombers looks destined for the scrap heap to save 7.5 billion over the next five years. The Tornado was supposed to be in service until 2025, but with a major overhaul due in the next five years costing 10 million for each aircraft, it is now under threat.

The cut will mean job losses as RAF Lossiemouth and RAF Marham totalling almost 5,000 personnel.

Under the plans, the number of Eurofighter Typhoons is likely to be reduced further from 160 to 107 planes based at a single RAF airfield to save 1 billion. The entire fleet of 36 Hercules transport aircraft, the workhorse in Iraq and Afghanistan, is to be phased out and replaced by an order of 22 new A400M planes.

The 3.6 billion project for nine Nimrod MR4 reconnaissance aircraft is also vulnerable, along with a number of other surveillance planes."

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3068814 - 08/07/10 09:24 AM Re: Bad News For The RAF [Re: NineLives]  
exhausted Offline
exhausted  Offline

none
England can enjoy it's extra 12.1 billion when it finds itself in a need to defend itself and is forced to strain a tiny force to do it.

I'm glad though, that nothing was mentioned about the F-35. I believe in that bird.... I honestly think the USA should order more then it will. I think the UK and USA will be happy with a bird like the F-35.

Words, such as liberal and liberty, all trace their history to the Latin liber, which means "free".
#3068865 - 08/07/10 01:13 PM Re: Bad News For The RAF [Re: exhausted]  
tony draper Offline
Hotshot
tony draper  Offline
Hotshot

newcastle/united kingdom
Never understood why we are so ready to scrap kit in the UK,as soon as withdrawn they are put to the gas axe,what's wrong with mothballing and storing,most of those aircraft have a good few working years in them,
We never seem to learn,Ark Royal was sold to India as no longer required and a few weeks later the Falklands thing broke out an we desperately needed a real carrier.

#3069036 - 08/07/10 07:19 PM Re: Bad News For The RAF [Re: exhausted]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: exhausted
England can enjoy it's extra 12.1 billion when it finds itself in a need to defend itself and is forced to strain a tiny force to do it.

I'm glad though, that nothing was mentioned about the F-35. I believe in that bird.... I honestly think the USA should order more then it will. I think the UK and USA will be happy with a bird like the F-35.

Well, their welfare recipients will enjoy the 12.1 billion in the mean time....

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3069038 - 08/07/10 07:21 PM Re: Bad News For The RAF [Re: tony draper]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: tony draper
Never understood why we are so ready to scrap kit in the UK,as soon as withdrawn they are put to the gas axe,what's wrong with mothballing and storing,most of those aircraft have a good few working years in them,
We never seem to learn,Ark Royal was sold to India as no longer required and a few weeks later the Falklands thing broke out an we desperately needed a real carrier.

Yea, that one amazes me...

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3069042 - 08/07/10 07:31 PM Re: Bad News For The RAF [Re: Timothy]  
Lemon Offline
Lemon  Offline

I read that article with some sadness, cuts to the carrier program, the termination of the Royal Marines, and heavy losses in the RAF... together those will shrink British influence around the globe and that's a tragedy for everyone.

#3069048 - 08/07/10 07:45 PM Re: Bad News For The RAF [Re: Lemon]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
Wasn't the Ark Royal being sold to Australia? I'm pretty sure Australia was at least in negotiations to buy an aircraft carrier, and then the Falklands broke out.

The one thing that really bothers me about current budget problems is that people are talking about reducing or eliminating Britain's nuclear capability. I've heard some really stupid arguments about that, but I don't think the talking is serious yet.

[rant]
You do have a bit of a point about the welfare system over here - it is a complete and utter bloody mess, with horrid amounts of bureaucracy, competing offices, loopholes, side paths, and general inefficiency. To make matters worse, it is very likely that if you start working, you will make less money than if you are on benefits, making finding work rather unappealing for many people. [/rant]

#3069062 - 08/07/10 08:26 PM Re: Bad News For The RAF [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
These cuts rightsize UK means with the role it plans to play in World Affairs, in the future, the days when the UK was a big player are over.

#3069190 - 08/08/10 01:43 AM Re: Bad News For The RAF [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Obviously the UK is no longer a Super Power, but I can't help but think this is a very short sighted plan. During the 20's and 30's the RAF was a mere shadow of it's former self (quite a formidable force by the end of WW1). By the time it became obvious WW2 was coming, there was a mass scramble to be ready for the looming conflict. Thankfully aircraft such as the Hurricane and Spitfire were developed in time (largely due to the foresight of Hawker and Supermarine). These days it is impossible to rustle up a new combat aircraft within three or four years (these days you need 10-20 years of development and testing), so a constant state of preparedness has to be maintained. It also seemed incredibly shortsighted when the Sea Harrier was phased out years before it's replacement (the F35)was ready.

Last edited by Paul Rix; 08/08/10 01:53 AM.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#3069197 - 08/08/10 02:04 AM Re: Bad News For The RAF [Re: NineLives]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Miltary spending cutbacks like this aren't unique to the UK and we will be seeing more of this in most First World nations. The recent and continuing global economic slowdown has meant smaller government coffers and it has affected everything from government pensions to welfare programs and military spending.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.