Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3055708 - 07/19/10 09:37 PM can not get past first hanger screen.  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
this was listed at ROF site.

Q: When I start the game, I get a screen where there is one airplane revolving in the center of the screen surrounded by other planes (inside of a hanger). There is no command or pull down menu and no options to start the game. Only a propeller and wings and a log out and quit button..
their reply was
A: This is because of a non standard desktop screen resolution. Please do the following to correct the issue:
1.Go to the 'Rise of flight' main folder in 'c:\program files' and then go to 'data' folder
2.There will be a file called 'startup.cfg'
3.Edit it with notepad
4.Find these lines which should be near at the top:
[KEY = graphics]
filter = 1
forest_quality = 1
full_height = 600
full_width = 800
fullscreen = 0
5.Change 'full height' and 'full width' values to the desired numbers (For example, many current widescreen monitors use 'full_height = 1080' and 'full_width = 1650'). Then make sure it reads 'fullscreen = 1'.
6.Finally, save the changes, click your RoF shortcut, click 'start game' and...good hunting!:)

I have done this . my desktop is 1600X900 and I have set my startup config to the same and changed the full screen to 1.

I still do not get any thing other than log out and exit.

Have been trying some suggestions from ROF site but nothing works. Can not run the demo at all.

my suggestion to those considering ROF iCE is ,,, don't buy unless you try the demo>

Last edited by Pawgy; 07/19/10 09:39 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3055750 - 07/19/10 10:55 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Pawgy]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

Hey Pawgy,

For what you have described as your issue, the advice given to you was good.

Many folks whom are running in improper resolution and/or not in fullscreen mode will lose the menu at the bottom of the screen.

Make sure in your ROFSettings - the upper left corner dropdown menu says 1600x900, and the fullscreen box is indeed checked as shown in this image:

Take a look at this SimHQ review to see what what proper screens should look like. ( specifically the bottom menus in the QMB, they should be the same in that Hanger screen as well)

You say you have a "log out" and a "quit" button....yet you do not mention any of the other menu items. This makes me think you do have a bottom menu...however, even in early versions, there were more than those two menu items... but I can't be 100% sure...so that almost makes me think you have never updated your demo.

Maybe take a screencap of what you are currently seeing, and maybe you can get help that is more closely commensurate with the information you provide.

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#3055912 - 07/20/10 03:20 AM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: WWBrian]  
mike1997 Offline
mike1997  Offline

check your dpi settings they should be set to normal. You may have them set larger

#3056336 - 07/20/10 06:02 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: mike1997]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: mike1997
check your dpi settings they should be set to normal. You may have them set larger

my dpi settings are set to normal. thanks

#3056356 - 07/20/10 06:20 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: WWBrian]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: WWBrian
Hey Pawgy,

For what you have described as your issue, the advice given to you was good.

Many folks whom are running in improper resolution and/or not in fullscreen mode will lose the menu at the bottom of the screen.

Make sure in your ROFSettings - the upper left corner dropdown menu says 1600x900, and the fullscreen box is indeed checked as shown in this image:

Take a look at this SimHQ review to see what what proper screens should look like. ( specifically the bottom menus in the QMB, they should be the same in that Hanger screen as well)

You say you have a "log out" and a "quit" button....yet you do not mention any of the other menu items. This makes me think you do have a bottom menu...however, even in early versions, there were more than those two menu items... but I can't be 100% sure...so that almost makes me think you have never updated your demo.

Maybe take a screencap of what you are currently seeing, and maybe you can get help that is more closely commensurate with the information you provide.

I just downloaded the demo last friday. My resolutions as you describe are set to 1600x900 just like my desktop. as previously stated I only have those two items and nothing else on the two green lines in the first hange and can go no further. As I said befor, I am not a novice at this and have installed many manycomplicated games addons and updates over the last 15+ years og gaming. .

I have made two screen shots to verify what I have but i do not know how to post them on this site.

Pawgy

Last edited by Pawgy; 07/20/10 06:22 PM.
#3056386 - 07/20/10 07:03 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Pawgy]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

I can't remember anymore, but didn't ROF have a minimum resolution of 1280x1024?

...or has that been lowered in some previous update?

Anyone here playing ROF in something lower than 1280x1024?

...all I can suggest from here Pawgy, is try a different resolution (or a different aspect ratio)

Just to see what happens.

[EDIT:] As for posting screenshots, post yours to a photobucket type web site, then just link the image.

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#3056459 - 07/20/10 08:34 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: WWBrian]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
I'm playing at 1024*768. When I first got RoF, had to force it via read-only startup.cfg file, but now it can be selected under settings.

#3057191 - 07/21/10 07:40 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: tagTaken2]  
ft Offline
ft  Offline

400' MSL
Hanger screen? Uh-oh, bad problem there! You should never see a screen with a hanger.

Originally Posted By: American Heritage Dictionary
hang·er
n.
One who hangs something: a house painter who also works as a paperhanger.

A contrivance to which something hangs or by which something is hung, as:

A device around which a garment is draped for hanging from a hook or rod.

A loop or strap by which something is hung.

A bracket on the spring shackle of a motor vehicle, designed to hold it to the chassis.

A decorative strip of cloth hung on a garment or wall.

A short sword that may be hung from a belt.

There should be a screen showing the inside of a hangar instead.

neaner

pilot

Cheers,
/Sill Y. Bugger

#3057210 - 07/21/10 08:04 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: ft]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Pawgy
You need to start the game via the rof_updater.exe not the rof.exe.
Screen and display settings are outside of the game.

When RoF installed it should have created a desktop Icon pointing to rof_updater.exe.

Which brings up this app

press start to get to the settings tabs

Chances are on first install you need to run the settings app to set the startup.cfg
Once you are happy with the settings press the start button again
the game should launch and present you with the game GUI and a logon option

Also 1600x900 16:9 is an option on the settings app you shouldn't need to touch the startup.cfg file anymore

You can also access it directly via C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\bin_game\release\settings.exe

See if you can post the images of what you see. It may help us to help you.

To play the demo or the full game all CD keys and licences are entered via the web site and you just log on via the game. Most of which is accessed under "profile" on the RoF site.

Last edited by Brigstock; 07/21/10 08:12 PM.
#3057272 - 07/21/10 09:18 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Brigstock]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Once again, first of all I cannot post screen shots as this site has no attachments and i do not use anything like a Photobucket site.

When i downloaded and installed the game last week I got a desktop Icon to Play ROF.
when i click on it it takes me directly to the ROF settings page just like you have shown.Not the ROF launcher. the only way i get to the Launcher is by selecting "update" in the settings page.

In the settings page I have selected 1600x900 and either full screen or windowed. It does not make any difference. neither will run the game.

from the setting page i select start. after several seconds I get to the user authorization page where I log in with my email address and user name and select "login online"
from there it takes me to the "select country" page. after selecting a country in the lower RH corner there is a "Next" with an "x" .I select the next and it takes me to a hanger with a very nice british plane rotating.
at the very bottom of the screen are two 1/2" wide green line running all the way across the bottom of the screen.
there is nothing in the top line and on the bottom green line are "log Off" and "Quit" .
thats it. I can go no farther. there Are no other buttons or drop downs for me to activate any other portion of the game.

Pawgy

EDIT. Just received several replies on ROF forum. they think my system is the culprit. Windows xp sp3, 3.2gig pentium with 2 gig ram.does not make sense to me but?????
Guess i will uninstal and be satisfied with First eagles 2

Thanks for trying.

Last edited by Pawgy; 07/22/10 09:00 PM.
#3057301 - 07/21/10 09:56 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Pawgy]  
Gunloon Offline
Gunloon  Offline

Nashville, TN USA
Have you tried a lesser resolution in the settings GUI? I'd start with the lowest suitable one and work up; the 1600x900 is asking an awful lot of a single core CPU.

[MF] Gunloon

Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
#3057352 - 07/21/10 11:31 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Gunloon]  
Lukasz Offline
Lukasz  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Pawgy,

the game shall run for you, because two of my colleagues are running it on single core Pentium 4 on lowest settings and are getting 30 fps or so.

Have you installed all the additional software which is offered by the installer at the end ? (C++, DirectX, etc.) ? It is very important to tick them and install. Otherwise the game may not run OK.

Lucas

#3057449 - 07/22/10 01:45 AM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Lukasz]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Where did you download this from? This does not sound right. Have you updated it to the lastest version?

And take a screenshot of the GUI so we can examine it.

Jason

#3057462 - 07/22/10 02:08 AM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Requiem Offline
Requiem  Offline

Based on his picture from the RoF forums I would say his demo account has gone inactive and needs to activate a new license with a different email address.

#3057973 - 07/22/10 08:59 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Requiem]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Downloaded from filefront from ROF site. 9 hours. I was not aware I needed an update since I downloaded from your site just last week.

Please read . I log in on the log in page and it goes to the flags page . I select a contry and it goes to the hanger screen . in the first hanger screen all i can access is LOG OUT and QUIT> nothing else shows up. please see my posts on the ROF site for screenshots. this site does not have a screenshot location.

My registration has not expired as I just signed up last week and I would think my demo account has not gone inactive or i would not be able to get past the log in screen at the start of the demo.. My download size is 3.54 gig and is titled ROF_web_install_1013.exe. it is dated 7-21-2010.

WHy is every one blaming me insted of the silly demo. I have downloaded and installed hundresds of demos and never had this problem. I expected to run the demo and maybe find the game runs slow or I would have to back way off on the graphics but this does not even run at all.

#3057990 - 07/22/10 09:25 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Pawgy]  

Pawgy,

You have the latest version of the Demo. I asked because some people install the old .exe and it needs to be updated. Updating the file is not the issue. It appears your account simply expired. Our Demo and account system does not work like others. The game obviously runs on your system otherwise you would not have even gotten to the screen with the plane.

Jason

#3058053 - 07/22/10 10:36 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Pawgy,

You have the latest version of the Demo. I asked because some people install the old .exe and it needs to be updated. Updating the file is not the issue. It appears your account simply expired. Our Demo and account system does not work like others. The game obviously runs on your system otherwise you would not have even gotten to the screen with the plane.

Jason

I replied to you on the ROF site and sent you a provate PM to re open my account.

Several weeks ago I registered using my email address and then last week when I downloaded the demo I could not register using that address. when i tried to re register your system said my emailaddress was already taken. So i regegistered using my wifes email address and everytnig seemed to work. except i could not get by the plane screen. As i explained in my pm to you, If you are going to reactivate my account ,please use my email address and not my wifes.

thanks if you can help. I must be able to try running the game befor I purchase it. if you are unable to restablish my account ,please adviese and I will uninstall the demo and quit bothering everybody.

thanks and Regards
Pawgy
PAWGY7

Last edited by Pawgy; 07/22/10 10:38 PM.
#3058057 - 07/22/10 10:40 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Pawgy]  

Pawgy,

I requested they reset time time limit on both emails so you can play the demo.

Jason

#3058072 - 07/22/10 11:23 PM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Pawgy,

I requested they reset time time limit on both emails so you can play the demo.

Jason

Thank you jason but i just tried to log in using my email address and got the incorrect password screen. I know it is correct because i still have the email from ROF with a passsword varification.

then i used my wifes e mail and logged ok in but still only got to the hanger screen and can go no further.

something is still amiss and still unable to play the demo..

I give up. you would not beleive how many hours i have spent tring to play this domo so I could possibly buy the game.

Pawgy

Last edited by Pawgy; 07/22/10 11:30 PM.
#3058104 - 07/23/10 12:22 AM Re: can not get past first hanger screen. [Re: Pawgy]  

Pawgy,

It's after hours in Russia. They will reset it tomorrow. That's as fast as I can fix it.

Make sure you can log into the website. If you can do that with either email you will be able to play the Demo once your accounts are reset.

And remember our system is case sensitive.

Jason

Last edited by 777 Studios - Jason; 07/23/10 12:23 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.