Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3051193 - 07/13/10 03:13 PM Apache pilot survival items  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
In Combat-Helo, pilots will be able to exit their Apache. This will provide the player the option to escape and evade, navigate back to base or await pick-up. To make these options viable we will provide the pilot with a set of survival items.

We plan to include:

• A compass
  • A flare gun/signal flare
  • Coloured Smoke grenades
  • A service pistol or Sub-machine gun
  • Tactical beacon radio

These are items we presume a pilot carries so we're interested to know if anyone has a complete list of what an Apache pilot carries as part of his survival kit?

Here is the complete compass.

CSEL (Combat Survivor/Evader Locator)

MS-2000 IR Strobe

Gyrojet pen flare

Gyro jet pen and compass in engine.

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 07/18/10 03:15 PM.

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3051242 - 07/13/10 04:03 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
hovering Offline
hovering  Offline

Aus
How about a map?

and a GPS?

First aid kit?

Radio (voice)?

Knife?

Code words?

Infrared strobe?

Although it really depends how much would actually affect the gameplay and detection by enemy forces.. like face paint etc?

smile

#3051272 - 07/13/10 04:29 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: hovering]  
hovering Offline
hovering  Offline

Aus
maybe you can model the crew on the latest Air Warrior/Air Soldier System stuff?

oh.. how about rig for extraction.. and/or will you be able to ride on the outside of the Apache?

#3051417 - 07/13/10 07:22 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
monsterZER0 Offline
monsterZER0  Offline

Originally Posted By: AD
In Combat-Helo, pilots will be able to exit their Apache.

eek Wow! This sim just keeps getting better and better looking! I am sooooooo looking forward to its release! Excellent work!!

I'm an ALSE technician for a National Guard UH-60 unit, and our survival gear is essentially identical to AH-64 gear so if you have any questions I'd love to answer them.

As far as the sub-machine gun, Apache units I was with in Iraq carried their unit-issued M9 pistol at all times, and when flying missions would sign out an M4 carbine each (Gunner, Pilot). No sub-machine guns that I saw.

#3051860 - 07/14/10 09:04 AM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: monsterZER0]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: monsterZER0
Originally Posted By: AD
In Combat-Helo, pilots will be able to exit their Apache.

eek Wow! This sim just keeps getting better and better looking! I am sooooooo looking forward to its release! Excellent work!!

I'm an ALSE technician for a National Guard UH-60 unit, and our survival gear is essentially identical to AH-64 gear so if you have any questions I'd love to answer them.

As far as the sub-machine gun, Apache units I was with in Iraq carried their unit-issued M9 pistol at all times, and when flying missions would sign out an M4 carbine each (Gunner, Pilot). No sub-machine guns that I saw.

Thanks for the info. We have a couple of questions if you have the time.

Do you know which signal flares your UH-60 pilots carry? I know that USAF pilots carry either Mk.124 or Mk.13 flares but I'm not sure whether army pilots use them too. The MK.124 is Navy and the MK.13 is Marine so I'd hate to get that wrong!

I presume the national guard pilots are using the older AN/PRC-90 rather than the AN/PRC-112? How about regular army aviators?

Bit of an odd question, are MS-2000 strobe lights ever used without the IR only filter?

Where did the Apache pilots stow the M4? Was it modified in anyway (folding stocks, shortened barrels)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Not specifically for monsterZERO as I'm sure he's seen this stuff countless times:

Here is part 1 of an extremely thorough look at a USAF pilots survival vest and it's contents. It's not our video by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnlOFoz9Jdk

Cheers

#3052097 - 07/14/10 04:38 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
monsterZER0 Offline
monsterZER0  Offline

I'd love to answer your questions! I grabbed a few images off the web so I'm not sure if they're going to display correctly, but I can get you some better photos of the vest and almost anything else you need (assuming its not classified, but very few ALSE items are) if you like.

Over in Iraq, UH-60 and AH-64 crew members carried pen flares (A/P25S-5A) in their individual survival vests. Our aircraft also carried larger survival kits with more traditional Mk. 13 and Mk. 124 Illumination/smoke devices in the cabin. I'm not sure about AH-64s having survival kits due to the lack of room, but I know back when we still had AH-1 Cobras they used to carry them in an empty tow-missile tube.

Very few National Guard units are still using the AN/PRC-90 (aka prick 90) or the AN/PRC-112; most, including my own, are using the new CSEL (Combat Survivor/Evader Locater, pronounced "sea-sell"). It is an all-in-one GPS/Emergency Transponder/Radio type deal that actually works pretty well, and it is definitely carried by all Apache (and Blackhawk biggrin ) crew members overseas.

CSEL

The MS-2000 has a IR filter on a swivel, so you can easily switch 'modes'. IR for night, regular for day.

Good question about the room for M4 stowage... I know they definitely carried them but I'm not sure where, lol. I work with an ex-apache guy however so i will find out and get back to you. I'm assuming there was enough room between the seat and the wall to squeeze it in, though. Our UH-60 pilots used to carry theirs like that, even though we had plenty of room in the back for them.

The vest we (Army Aviators) wear is a little different from those of the Air Force. Its part of a pretty cool system called "Air Warrior". The vest itself is called the Primary Survival Gear Carrier or PSGC, although everyone just calls it their ALSE vest (ALSE stands for Aviation Life Support Equipment).

I couldn't really find any good pictures on the web but here's one I did find:

Looks like an Army stock photo. This guy is wearing a flotation collar, which is not worn on over-land missions, such as Iraq and Afghanistan.

Last edited by monsterZER0; 07/14/10 04:41 PM.
#3052116 - 07/14/10 04:57 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
While I think this sounds like a great idea, I'm a bit skeptical:

-Most flight sims I've seen, when run on full ground detail, are MASSIVE resource hogs (understandably), and while the environments are lush and detailed from the air, if one were to run around on foot, things would still seem very "last gen." A good example of this at work is Arma II. I can run it on decent settings when on foot, but once air borne, things get choppy pretty quickly. Maybe it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I'd be interested to hear how your tackling this issue.

-Overall, this feature seems like it can go one of two ways: Be a full fledged secondary game mode, which would be a massive drain on development resource -or- seem sort of "tacked on," with reviews describing the feature as "a nice idea in theory, but needs more polish and refinement." Personally, I think I'd rather play this game sooner without the feature, than wait longer for it with.

-More of a minor note, but this also means that two sets of controls need to be handy to switch to this mode. With Arma, a slot of people seem to use a simple all-in-one stick set up, which is fine for the arcade style flying featured in the game, and allows them to switch between aircraft and foot quickly. It's just a thought.

+I can see some benefits to this mode though. In addition to the aforementioned bail out, An actually pre-flight walk around, complete with "strapping on" you bird, would be a neat touch, and show off what's sure to be a very detailed Apache model. Also, walking from a briefing tent where you just got mission details, then out to your crew chief to discuss arming options, while watching a crew actually attach weapons and fuel to the heilo, would be neat. Other way to use this is to make the multilayer lobby something like a virtual officers club.

Just some food for thought. FWIW, I'm not usually a big rotatory guy, but I know I'll be in line on day one for when this comes out biggrin

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3052296 - 07/14/10 08:51 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
monsterZER0 Offline
monsterZER0  Offline

Originally Posted By: aggressorblue
...if one were to run around on foot, things would still seem very "last gen."

To be perfectly honest, I don't see anything wrong with that. "Current Gen" games have huge development teams and huuuuuuuuge budgets. This is obviously an indie project being done for the love of it. I don't see EA or Ubisoft logos attached to this project.

This isn't going to be the next Crysis, and to be honest I, for one, prefer it that way. Otherwise concessions would have be made in order to appeal to a broader audience, which normally means dumbing down the content. This game appeals do a very die-hard, niche market, such as the people who frequent this site.

"Last Gen" or not, I will be plunking down a chunk of my hard earned cash for this title the moment it is released... transformer (emoticon unrelated)

Also, walking from a briefing tent where you just got mission details, then out to your crew chief to discuss arming options, while watching a crew actually attach weapons and fuel to the heilo, would be neat.

This would be very cool. Being one myself, i'd love to see a sim show a "Crew-dog" some love!

Last edited by monsterZER0; 07/14/10 08:56 PM.
#3052323 - 07/14/10 09:23 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: monsterZER0]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Very neat. Apparently Russian crews in Afghanistan often carried heavy machine guns.

My big suggestion in this case would be to simulate water loss (vs. time of day and weather). It would be nice to stand a chance of dying of exposure, instead of enemy fire.

Some minor ideas:
It would also be very neat to be able to encounter local allies, unaffiliated groups or enemies. These could be scripted events (ie. wouldn't require extra ambient activity in the world) and could be probabilistic and dependent on the relative ranges of enemy/neutral/allied equipment or settlements.

It might be ideal to set a probability for enemy/neutral/allied for every single location (ie. a probability function for each with the default being no contact). This way one could simulate areas where there are a mixture of neutrals/enemies or where there is a mixture of insurgent activity (eg. cities) or deep penetration by allied special-ops.

This is all probably far too complex and not worth the effort - but in Afghanistan or Iraq there are no fixed FLOTs and all sorts of factions intermingle. This is a much easier way to simulate this than to use some kind of deeply fringed fractal for a FLOT...

Just a few thoughts.

#3052441 - 07/15/10 12:05 AM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: Avimimus]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
MonsterZERO,

The post is massively appreciated and has answered pretty-much all of my questions.

While I think this sounds like a great idea, I'm a bit skeptical:

-Most flight sims I've seen, when run on full ground detail, are MASSIVE resource hogs (understandably), and while the environments are lush and detailed from the air, if one were to run around on foot, things would still seem very "last gen." A good example of this at work is Arma II. I can run it on decent settings when on foot, but once air borne, things get choppy pretty quickly. Maybe it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I'd be interested to hear how your tackling this issue.

CH runs aswell on the ground as it does in the air, there's no perceivable difference in frame rates due to it's first rate vegetation rendering system. Our ground detail looks last gen when compared to Crytek, however this comes down to data quantities. If we could afford a 10-fold increase in the quantity of vegetation and ground clutter we could have terrain that looks 90% as good Crtyek on the ground. Unfortunately as the engine we are using doesn't allow for data streaming, such a data increase would create an extremely long load time.

-Overall, this feature seems like it can go one of two ways: Be a full fledged secondary game mode, which would be a massive drain on development resource -or- seem sort of "tacked on," with reviews describing the feature as "a nice idea in theory, but needs more polish and refinement." Personally, I think I'd rather play this game sooner without the feature, than wait longer for it with.

Being able to mount and dismount aircraft has been a core feature of CH from the first days of development. It was a feature we knew we had to add for a multitude of reasons. Due to the nature of this feature, there is a requirement for the player to have access to basic navigation and signaling tools. We don't intend to turn this requirement into an all-out ALSE sim, we just want to provide the player some simple tools to A) Defend his location against enemy infantry B) navigate back to base C) signal his buddy for a pick-up.

I wouldn't worry about these survival items being a drain on resources. They are relatively quick to model, and very simple to implement. We already have a fully working automatic rifle and compass that we can swap-out with our own models. The signaling devices are just artwork with emitters attached. A tactial radio would be a complete waste of time in a sim where you have access to TS3 VON and text chat so it's most likely we'll implement it as a beacon that can be activated and will then show a marker on the other player's Apache's TSD.

-More of a minor note, but this also means that two sets of controls need to be handy to switch to this mode. With Arma, a slot of people seem to use a simple all-in-one stick set up, which is fine for the arcade style flying featured in the game, and allows them to switch between aircraft and foot quickly. It's just a thought.

You raise a good point; You'll need a keyboard/mouse to hand in order to move around on foot. Then again, you'd at least need a mouse to navigate a menu system and forward motion could be achieved by holding down one of the mouse buttons.

+I can see some benefits to this mode though. In addition to the aforementioned bail out, An actually pre-flight walk around, complete with "strapping on" you bird, would be a neat touch, and show off what's sure to be a very detailed Apache model. Also, walking from a briefing tent where you just got mission details, then out to your crew chief to discuss arming options, while watching a crew actually attach weapons and fuel to the heilo, would be neat. Other way to use this is to make the multilayer lobby something like a virtual officers club.

Just some food for thought. FWIW, I'm not usually a big rotatory guy, but I know I'll be in line on day one for when this comes out biggrin

Many of these features have already been implemented. We have a briefing tent complete with a projected screen that allows you to pick your mission. Once chosen you can move over to a helipad and arm your Apache by moving around the chopper, selecting pylons and picking the ordnance from the floor. Interaction with NPC's probably won't be present in the first version of CH.

Originally Posted By: Avimimus
Very neat. Apparently Russian crews in Afghanistan often carried heavy machine guns.

My big suggestion in this case would be to simulate water loss (vs. time of day and weather). It would be nice to stand a chance of dying of exposure, instead of enemy fire.

Nice idea in theory, but running a couple of miles back to base only to drop dead through dehydration doesn't seem like a fun sim experience.

Some minor ideas:
It would also be very neat to be able to encounter local allies, unaffiliated groups or enemies. These could be scripted events (ie. wouldn't require extra ambient activity in the world) and could be probabilistic and dependent on the relative ranges of enemy/neutral/allied equipment or settlements.

Richard and I discussed a similar idea. We talked about having an OIF style deck of cards featuring Taliban militants, al-queda operatives and western gun runners. Killing or atleast photographing them on the TADS would reward you and knock out one of the deck. What we don't have is decent quality source photos. We discussed the possibility for community members to dress-up like Taliban, take a mug-shot and send it in. Any takers?

It might be ideal to set a probability for enemy/neutral/allied for every single location (ie. a probability function for each with the default being no contact). This way one could simulate areas where there are a mixture of neutrals/enemies or where there is a mixture of insurgent activity (eg. cities) or deep penetration by allied special-ops.

We've planned a node system centered around greenzones. Lots more on that later.

This is all probably far too complex and not worth the effort - but in Afghanistan or Iraq there are no fixed FLOTs and all sorts of factions intermingle. This is a much easier way to simulate this than to use some kind of deeply fringed fractal for a FLOT...

Just a few thoughts.

No FLOT's until Iran gatecrashes and busts down the door. Then the party really starts.

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 07/15/10 12:18 AM.

#3052630 - 07/15/10 08:37 AM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: monsterZER0]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: monsterZER0
I'm not sure about AH-64s having survival kits due to the lack of room

If I'm not mistaken the Apache carries survival kits in the storage area just below and a little to the rear of the left engine.

Quote:
Good question about the room for M4 stowage... I know they definitely carried them but I'm not sure where, lol. I work with an ex-apache guy however so i will find out and get back to you. I'm assuming there was enough room between the seat and the wall to squeeze it in

I remember from one of Ed Macy's books that at least the british Apaches used to have a SA80 in the area to the right of and a little behind the right shoulder. I remember he wrote about the magazine of the SA80 being in a somewhat cumbersome position when mounted there, but that he still prefered to fly with the magazine in the gun so as to be ready to fire in case he needed it quickly.

I assume the US Apaches carries the M4 in the same position.

#3052821 - 07/15/10 04:15 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: arneh]  
monsterZER0 Offline
monsterZER0  Offline

Originally Posted By: arneh
I remember from one of Ed Macy's books that at least the british Apaches used to have a SA80 in the area to the right of and a little behind the right shoulder. I remember he wrote about the magazine of the SA80 being in a somewhat cumbersome position when mounted there, but that he still prefered to fly with the magazine in the gun so as to be ready to fire in case he needed it quickly.

Yep. Talked to my Apache buddy and that is the same spot where they store the M4s. Funny, he said the exact same thing about the magazine being in the way...

#3052882 - 07/15/10 05:36 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Man with all these features being implemented, I hope you guys can do a Uh-60 Blackhawk one day, how cool will be to rescue a downed friend in MP?

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3053019 - 07/15/10 09:04 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: Stratos]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
I don't see it as being that big a feature, it's almost free although AD having to pull these 3D bits together might see it otherwise. But getting in/out of you aircraft seems to be a natural thing to do. Lots of games do this already but none seem to do hi-fidelity stuff.

Originally I wanted the UH-60 in the line up but has since been displaced by the CH47 addon. I still have a soft spot for the old bird.

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
#3053040 - 07/15/10 09:20 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: Flexman]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Don't get me wrong but I prefer the Blackhawk over the Ch47, hope to see in the future then.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3053097 - 07/15/10 11:34 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: Stratos]  
Ryujin Offline
Ryujin  Offline

Here's a picture of M4s in the cockpit, I'm not an Apache expert, but it looks like the gunner has a sort of gun rack for his M4 and the pilot has something holding the stock of his and has it unloaded. Both seem to also have M9s. http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o62/Ryujin_bucket/army_mil-65304.jpg?t=1279236571

Speaking of getting out, running around, and shooting things.... can you be rescued by another chopper (AI or otherwise)? Can you pull the trick of rescuing a buddy by riding on the wings of the AH-64? And if you do crash, can you order around AI crew or just leave him to his fate?

#3053114 - 07/15/10 11:51 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
You pretty much addressed all my concerns AD. The fact that this has been a core element of the game from the planning stages puts my mind at ease.

BTW, just a thought, but perhaps consider the xbox 360 controller for ground movement. It's easy to pick up and use when your keyboard is in a position inconvenient to ground movement.

Glad to hear that you'll be able to walk around the bird prior to combat too biggrin. I've always wanted this in a flight sim.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3053118 - 07/15/10 11:57 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: Stratos]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Ryujin
Here's a picture of M4s in the cockpit, I'm not an Apache expert, but it looks like the gunner has a sort of gun rack for his M4 and the pilot has something holding the stock of his and has it unloaded. Both seem to also have M9s. http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o62/Ryujin_bucket/army_mil-65304.jpg?t=1279236571

Thanks for that photo, very interesting. You can see the pilot has his hand on a magazine indicating that he's either going to pull it out and slap it into the M4 or he's putting it back into the pouch. The former seems more likely as it would be strange to mount the aircraft with a loaded weapon and then unload it. They could be returning for a mission in which case you'd expect him to unload it before exiting.

Originally Posted By: Ryujin
Speaking of getting out, running around, and shooting things.... can you be rescued by another chopper (AI or otherwise)? Can you pull the trick of rescuing a buddy by riding on the wings of the AH-64? And if you do crash, can you order around AI crew or just leave him to his fate?

Rescuing will be possible and riding on the side of the wing has been mentioned as a likely addition.

It's a bit early to say what will happen with the AI crew but I think they could be made to follow you quite easily.

Originally Posted By: Stratos
Man with all these features being implemented, I hope you guys can do a Uh-60 Blackhawk one day, how cool will be to rescue a downed friend in MP?

We hope so too. All future content depends on making a success of CH:OO.

Cheers

#3053152 - 07/16/10 12:50 AM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
Ryujin Offline
Ryujin  Offline

CHOO has to be one of the better game acronyms out there. I know I'll be asking people if they play CHOO and then have to tell them it's not a train sim.

Speaking of gear, I geuss this sort of falls under this topic, but will you have the air warrior electronic data manager kneeboard? I went and did a quick search for some more info on the survival gear and came accross it, neat stuff (might be a nice way to seamlessly integrate the ingame menus/options, put em on the kneeboard, just a thought).
http://www.assurancetechnology.com/warrior.asp

Otherwise I didn't come accross any new info about gear.

However, I did find a few more pics of the M4 stowage in this set of pics, incaseyou haven't seen em before, lots of reference. http://www.imagereferencedatabase.com/myadmin/photogallery/cat-67-55.html

#3053896 - 07/16/10 09:43 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: Ryujin]  
HarryR Offline
HarryR  Offline

UK
Awesome to know that there's someone else on the board that does almost the same thing! MonsterZERO, I salute you wink

To..
#3053946 - 07/16/10 11:18 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: HarryR]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
CHOO sounds like a sneeze. Operation Pegasus would make it "CHOP".

#3053977 - 07/17/10 12:03 AM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: Flexman]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Quote:
CHOO has to be one of the better game acronyms out there. I know I'll be asking people if they play CHOO and then have to tell them it's not a train sim.

Even more amusing than the acronym is that CH:OO is named after an episode of Red Dwarf! It could have been called CH:DL biggrin

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 07/17/10 12:04 AM.

#3054253 - 07/17/10 02:27 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: HarryR]  
hannibal Offline
hannibal  Offline

why dont you recruit that guy that does the mod for Enemy Engaged? its about bring jane's longbow 2 fun for the modern day..

#3054925 - 07/18/10 03:17 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: hannibal]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: hannibal
why dont you recruit that guy that does the mod for Enemy Engaged? its about bring jane's longbow 2 fun for the modern day..

It's not practical to hire extra staff at this point in the development.

CESL and MS-2000 added to first post.

Cheers

#3054939 - 07/18/10 03:52 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
hovering Offline
hovering  Offline

Aus
sweet.. the CSEL looks like it couldn't be easier... just press the 'Help' button smile

#3054973 - 07/18/10 05:23 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Now you see if I was still with the project I could have answered all these silly little questions about AH-64 crews and equipment without you all having to have a lengthy, public hearing.

#3056576 - 07/21/10 12:02 AM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: Flyboy]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
A quick preview of some of the ALSE equipment on Herat

#3058557 - 07/23/10 06:02 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Robdcamp
Unregistered

Beautiful. Now What is that thing? an Infra-red strobe?

#3058603 - 07/23/10 06:47 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: ]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
It's a visual and IR strobe.

Need to do something about the flashing in first person view or we'll have complaints about seizures smile

#3058747 - 07/23/10 09:30 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: Flexman]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Robdcamp
Unregistered

well in that case we can't have any muzzle flashes of any kind, reflections, light, or landing lights

#3058798 - 07/23/10 10:40 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
monsterZER0 Offline
monsterZER0  Offline

Wow! The survival items look great, AD. Very impressed!

#3058932 - 07/24/10 02:39 AM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: monsterZER0]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Flexman

Need to do something about the flashing in first person view or we'll have complaints about seizures smile

Originally Posted By: Robdcamp
well in that case we can't have any muzzle flashes of any kind, reflections, light, or landing lights

The MS-2000 flashes at about 1.25hz which is much less than the 5hz recommended as safe so I don't think there's any threat to epileptics. The version I sent to Rick flashes at about 4hz and it's definitely annoying. The version I'm playing with now is much less tedious and even has a quiet clicking sound as has the real one.

Quote:
Wow! The survival items look great, AD. Very impressed!

Thanks! That's another element of Combat-Helo we can add "Approved" next to.

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 07/24/10 03:09 AM.

#3079538 - 08/24/10 08:07 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: AD]  
spike_knock Offline
spike_knock  Offline

Germany
Very cool. ALSE gear is set up IAW regs, but units and individuals will often make small mods. Example, some people, myself included, don't like the knife up high near the shoulder. It can and HAS come down with enough force on a crash landing to go through the sheath and cut the femoral artery. Some pilots like to fly with extra ammo, some fly with the minimum required.

You are correct with the M-4 positioning.

All 64 pilots carry a map book that can be used if needed. There are other options, but that's a grey area.

The first aid kit is like any other in most respects.

Codewords are just that, SPINS and the format are classified. Leave it at that.

Survival, evasion, and extraction techniques are all highly classified, for obvious reasons. The aviator can either self extract ("borrow" a car, or hoof it), or be assisted (ground/air assets).

If anybody wants to learn more, sign up for the SERE-C+ course. It's full contact, unlike SERE-B for Air Force/Navy aviators. I lost 25 lbs.

If you guys are going all out, this is essential to the experience:
Fill a few bottles of Gatorade (aiming mini game?) after 5 hours on-mission that roll around on the dash. God help you if they leak.

How to react to incoming 30mm:
Jump up 20 feet and spread yourself out over a wide area
#3080616 - 08/26/10 02:36 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: spike_knock]  
hovering Offline
hovering  Offline

Aus
Originally Posted By: spike_knock

If you guys are going all out, this is essential to the experience:
Fill a few bottles of Gatorade (aiming mini game?) after 5 hours on-mission that roll around on the dash. God help you if they leak.

Here is a reference photo for AD if he wants to model it wink

#3080717 - 08/26/10 04:52 PM Re: Apache pilot survival items [Re: hovering]  
Raptor9 Offline
Rotorhead / GFC
Raptor9  Offline
Rotorhead / GFC

Central US
LMFAO, that's awesome...(rolling on the floor laughing)

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.