Hop To
#3050519 - 07/12/10 03:49 PM Visiting Hawaii  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
Lads,

Ill be visiting Hawaii for a couple weeks from 9 August and was after some hints and tips about things to do and see?

Basically Ill be tied up competing at the Polynesian centre for the first week but after that am free. At the moment Ive really only got Pearl Harbour and walking up Diamond Head on my plans...probably just need a couple other ideas to kick around.

Anywho, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards

Mailman

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3050525 - 07/12/10 03:55 PM Re: Visiting Hawaii [Re: mailman]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm pretty sure Beach can give you some good tips. He got married there after all! smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3050534 - 07/12/10 04:14 PM Re: Visiting Hawaii [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
PM, I'm pretty sure Beach had only one sight in mind!

Scott, what are you competing at in the Polynesian centre? Are you planning on spending your whole time in Oahu, or going to other islands?

You mentioned Pearl Harbor so I'm sure you'll visit the Arizona Memorial. But if you have time, the USS Missouri is moored right across the way at Ford's Island. Someone here said they were doing some maintenance on it, but that was a while ago. Anyway, the Missouri is well worth the time. There's a WWII submarine you can tour right by the entrance to the Arizona memorial.

I'd recommend a visit to the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, aka The Punchbowl, which is just north of Honolulu. It's pretty impressive and just plain pretty. You can get some great views of the city and the ocean. I'm an American so it meant a lot to me, but I think you'd enjoy it.

Take a stroll down to the beach and Waikiki. I was surprised by how small an area it was, but you get a good view of Diamond Head from there. I did some running with Waikiki as the starting point and it was very nice.

Other than that, check this website http://www.gohawaii.com/oahu/guidebook/topics/historic-places-of-oahu and see what strikes your fancy.

Have a good time!

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#3050558 - 07/12/10 04:55 PM Re: Visiting Hawaii [Re: 20mm]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
i visited oahu a few yrs ago and the pearl harbor/uss arizona/uss missouri was BY FAR the best part of the trip. stayed in a hotel on waikiki beach and climbed diamond head. on the last day we rented a car and drove counterclockwise around the island. found a LOT of empty beaches and some good snorkeling spots, along with Giovanni's shrimp truck which was delicious. it was just my speed for a vacation and i would love to go back there

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#3050617 - 07/12/10 06:59 PM Re: Visiting Hawaii [Re: Clydewinder]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

i lived on maui from '98-'02. sigh, i miss some things about it a whole bunch. not most of the people or the culture overall, which as a bit too tourist, new age, and west coast for me. (people from california or oregon should not be allowed to move to hawaii, as they infuse it with a lazy/hippy/valleygrrl "it's all good, brah" poseur culture, and adopt hawaiian mannerisms in an attempt to seem like they have legit island cred.)

but man, what an amazingly beautiful place. lemme know if you're visiting maui and i can suggest a few cool things.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3050683 - 07/12/10 08:22 PM Re: Visiting Hawaii [Re: No Name]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
i lived on maui from '98-'02. sigh, i miss some things about it a whole bunch. not most of the people or the culture overall, which as a bit too tourist, new age, and west coast for me. (people from california or oregon should not be allowed to move to hawaii, as they infuse it with a lazy/hippy/valleygrrl "it's all good, brah" poseur culture, and adopt hawaiian mannerisms in an attempt to seem like they have legit island cred.)

but man, what an amazingly beautiful place. lemme know if you're visiting maui and i can suggest a few cool things.

rolleyes That's a pretty simple take on west coast lifestyle. I'm from Oregon and it's far from hippys and lazy people as you described.

Last edited by NoUseForAName; 07/12/10 08:24 PM.
#3050698 - 07/12/10 08:43 PM Re: Visiting Hawaii [Re: JoeyJoJo]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

well perhaps it's those particular types who gravitated to hawaii, maui in particular. time after time, the west coasters i met (most aged 25-40) who moved to maui gave off that kind of lazy vibe.

no, i don't really think, and didn't mean to imply, that everyone from oregon or california is some sun-baked new age airhead. i haven't spent much time in california, and none in oregon. on maui though, most those i met from those two places were as i described.

ps- the fact that maui lacks any higher education (no colleges or universities) and little industry beyond tourism and marine biology stuff makes it more limited and "groovier" (in a negative way) than say honolulu in terms of intellectual and cultural vitality. that's part of why i left-- too many white hippies with dreadlocks, didgeridoos, and barefoot feral kids, all looking somewhat dazed and starry, many espousing the benefits of "living off the grid" while patrolling the health food store aisles for tofu and mung beans. i'm really not even exaggerating.

Last edited by peppergomez; 07/12/10 08:48 PM.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3051019 - 07/13/10 09:21 AM Re: Visiting Hawaii [Re: No Name]  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
20mil,

Ill be competing at this;

http://www.polynesia.com/whanaketanga/index.html

So we arrive on the 9th...practices up until competition weekend and then boom, its free time baby! smile

Pearl Harbour sounds like an all day affair. I guess if I cant get out to the memorial until the afternoon then there is still plenty other things to do while waiting for my "appointment" time.

and now Im curious about The Punchbowl, which Ill now have to go and have a look around smile

Pepperz, Ill only be at Oahu. Maybe next time I come back Ill pop over to Maui and check out the West Coasters smile

Regards

Mailman

#3051043 - 07/13/10 10:54 AM Re: Visiting Hawaii [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I'm pretty sure Beach can give you some good tips. He got married there after all! smile

Unfortunately I was on Maui...so I don't know much about The Big Island. Maui was simply paradise on Earth..if you are into watersports and things like that.. Pics from that trip (maybe it will inspire you to go snorkeling or something!):

http://www.mudspike.com/maui.htm

Have fun..I'm jealous!

#3051204 - 07/13/10 03:24 PM Re: Visiting Hawaii [Re: BeachAV8R]  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
Thanks Beach...those are some awesome photos of your special day mate.

I expect that if Im not tikitouring around then Ill be sitting on a beach getting black or swimming smile

Regards

Mailman

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.