Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3038522 - 06/24/10 09:10 AM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: RAF74_Winger]  
Sturm_Williger Offline
Sturm_Williger  Offline

Virtual Paradise
Originally Posted By: RAF74_Winger
I reckon the low fuel carried is intimately tied up with the poor view distance in this sim.

I've tried to set up historical missions for the RAF74 server, with more realistic flight times & distances which would require the extra fuel load.

I found that opposing flights of aircraft miss each other too easily because of the 1.5 mile restriction on visibility, leading to not a little frustration. Because of this, most of the missions on dogfight servers have very short flight distances to make sure that there is some action going on.

I suppose the short version is this: if the view distances were fixed, this habit of taking 10% fuel would also disappear.

Edit: A further thought: a more realistic view distance would also enable combat patrols to take place at greater heights. As it stands, a flight of SE5s at 14,000' will never see aircraft below them at 7,000'

W.

This is, unfortunately, very true.

"Another glass of your loathsome, vaguely beerish frozen swill, if you please."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3038716 - 06/24/10 03:58 PM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: Sturm_Williger]  
MJMORROW Offline
NEWGUY
MJMORROW  Offline
NEWGUY

Really good insight Winger. I did not consider that issue. I would really like the view distance increased, but I do not know if that is something that can be addressed in the near term. If only they could use simple physics for distant planes; instead of a complex model for each plane. Then, I would imagine, the view distance could be increased greatly.

Instead of complaining about SPAD 7s, Central pilots should capture and fly them too. I suggest putting an apple in the middle of your Aerodrome field and just wait. Eventually a SPAD 7 will come by to get the apple, cause SPADS can't resist apples. This is how the Entente gets a hold of SPAD 7s, m-kay?
-MJ Morrow
#3039305 - 06/25/10 12:23 PM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: Sturm_Williger]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
Originally Posted By: Sturm_Williger
Originally Posted By: Damocles
Quote:
Hot Tom wrote

Winged Victory was a novel. Fiction. Made up stuff.
With all the many fine non-fiction books on WWI aviation out there, why do folks (not just you, Smokin') keep quoting an author's imaginative fantasy?
Entertaining? Yes.
A reference book? No.

I think you're overly harsh to dismiss it as nothing more than entertainment.

Calling it a novel is ,I think, actually a misnomer. IT IS HIS BIOGRAPHY, only written in the form of a novel. This, I think, allowed him write a far more revealing book about what it was actually like to be an RFC pilot towards the end of the war, giving a real flavour of day to day life flying, fighting and possibly dying over the old Somme battlefields.

I really believe Winged Victory is one of the greats, combining a flair for writing with the knowledge of the grim realities of being there and experiencing it first hand.

In "Under the Guns of the Red Baron", the authors, Norman Franks, Hal Giblin and Nigel McCrery matched up one of the events described in "Winged Victory" ( the death of Beal ) with one of Richthofen's victims ( #76 Capt. Sydney Smith ), so one has to see "Winged Victory" as somewhat more biographical than mere fiction.

Yeates's flight Leader in the book "Mac" is very obviously 46 squadrons Donald Maclaren, top scoring Camel pilot.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#3039551 - 06/25/10 05:44 PM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: MJMORROW]  
RAF74_Winger Offline
RAF74_Winger  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: MJMORROW
If only they could use simple physics for distant planes; instead of a complex model for each plane. Then, I would imagine, the view distance could be increased greatly.

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of programming this kind of application, but I don't think even simplified physics are required. The game is already aware of the position & maybe the attitude of more distant aircraft, otherwise the mission logic wouldn't work for the AI elements. All that is required is a representation of that position on screen.

I understand the unwillingness of NeoQB (or is that 777 studios now?) to go back to the 'dot', I find it kills 'immersion' too. I just think that no representation of distant aircraft is worse, and leads to the limited and unrealistic mission design we see at present.

BTW, I intend no slur on the dogfight mission designers, they've generally done an outstanding job within the limits which are placed on them - my complaint is about the extent of those limits.

W.

Last edited by RAF74_Winger; 06/25/10 05:45 PM.
#3039615 - 06/25/10 07:05 PM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: RAF74_Winger]  
MJMORROW Offline
NEWGUY
MJMORROW  Offline
NEWGUY

I like where you are going with this Winger. I just wonder what Ogami's thoughts are on this matter? If we could track position and altitude while scaling out all the other info, until machines get closer to each other, it seems like we could do what you are suggesting. I would rather have a dot, than not be able to see far away objests at all. It will certainly aid machines operating at high altitudes. I wonder if they could use a faded dot, so it is barely visible at extreme distance. (We can argue what extreme distance is or just ask the real life pilots and see how far they can see on a clear day! lol)

Instead of complaining about SPAD 7s, Central pilots should capture and fly them too. I suggest putting an apple in the middle of your Aerodrome field and just wait. Eventually a SPAD 7 will come by to get the apple, cause SPADS can't resist apples. This is how the Entente gets a hold of SPAD 7s, m-kay?
-MJ Morrow
#3039671 - 06/25/10 08:05 PM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: MJMORROW]  
RAF74_Winger Offline
RAF74_Winger  Offline

California
I can weigh in on that particular discussion. My own experience has been that I can see and identify light aircraft 3 miles away at least, and actually spot them at much greater distances than that.

Ira Jones states in his diaries of flying with 74 Squadron during WWI that he could identify aircraft at 6 miles - but he was known for his excellent eyesight.

I expect it's too much to expect to identify aircraft at greater than 1.5 miles in the sim - even modern monitors don't have sufficient resolution to permit that, not to mention the LODs that would be required. But I reckon we should be able to see that an aircraft is present at around 6-7 miles. I don't think it needs to be much, perhaps the occasional glint of sunlight reflecting from parts of the aircraft structure rather than a dot, which would give you a hint that an aircraft might be there.

I'm very interested to see how SoW will approach this perennial problem.

W.

#3041816 - 06/28/10 10:45 PM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: RoFfan]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: RoFfan
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
Why? The Camel and Dr.1 are maneuverable because the WERE maneuverable. They are slow because they WERE slow. But slow back then meant 10-15 mph slower which means that it is easy to get a few long shots on a D.7 before it slowly eaks out some distance from the shooter.

Instead of trying to "level" the other guy's plane. Maybe its more useful (and fairer) to learn to fly out of his kill zone. No Dr.1 is going to kill a properly flown SPAD. You don't hear Scarpo complaining about the 'uber-ness" of the Dr.1. He just uses his speed and gunnery to pop 'em out of the sky at his leisure.

On the contrary. You are whining to keep an artificial boost for the Camel and Dr1, which are two of the lightest aircraft in the sim, and therefore benefit the most from minimal fuel loadouts.

Well...my definition of whining rules out the party which is happy. I'm happy. The party which wishes for a change over some perceived slight or unfairness tends to be the whining party. Again, I'm happy. BTW, this discussion has taken place in every fixed-wing combat sim made. The result has always been the same, "I'll choose my loadout, and you'll choose yours."

#3041823 - 06/28/10 11:00 PM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: RAF74_Winger]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: RAF74_Winger
Originally Posted By: MJMORROW
If only they could use simple physics for distant planes; instead of a complex model for each plane. Then, I would imagine, the view distance could be increased greatly.

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of programming this kind of application, but I don't think even simplified physics are required. The game is already aware of the position & maybe the attitude of more distant aircraft, otherwise the mission logic wouldn't work for the AI elements. All that is required is a representation of that position on screen.

I understand the unwillingness of NeoQB (or is that 777 studios now?) to go back to the 'dot', I find it kills 'immersion' too. I just think that no representation of distant aircraft is worse, and leads to the limited and unrealistic mission design we see at present.

BTW, I intend no slur on the dogfight mission designers, they've generally done an outstanding job within the limits which are placed on them - my complaint is about the extent of those limits.

W.

I find the visibility to be improved over what I experienced last summer. My eyes aren't great but they are corrected to about 20/15 (slightly better than what is required to fly professionally in America). My ability to spot light aircraft in the game is pretty close to what it is on the job.

(((That's not true. My ability to spot planes in RoF is much BETTER than it is on the job. Small planes are hell to see, particularly in the summer haze we have now. Even when the other plane is above under a clear, blue-sky backdrop, it's hard to spot anything at more than 3 miles unless you've already been told precisely where to look.))) Yes, I know Yeager claimed 20 miles but his vision was way off the bell-curve.

When searching, I always use the default view. 1) It's feels more "real" to me and, 2) It noticeably increases the distance at which I can spot planes.

#3041867 - 06/29/10 12:33 AM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
RAF74_Winger Offline
RAF74_Winger  Offline

California
I agree to an extent; white-painted planes (as most Cessnas and Pipers are) can be difficult to spot, especially in haze; but what you're really talking about (I think) is the general difficulty of spotting aircraft if you're not looking in the right place which is true regardless of how near or far they may be.

I find that dark coloured aircraft stick out like the proverbial sore thumb though.

My argument is that aircraft in this game are difficult to spot because they aren't there to be seen when you zoom out. And to me this feels more natural, because of the greater field of view; but I don't wear glasses while flying.

W.

#3041961 - 06/29/10 03:12 AM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: RAF74_Winger]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

I don't either...contacts ;-)

My guess is that the devs wanted a tradeoff for using unrealistic views, either zoom or wide. The full wide view is impossible in the real world, unless you are a housefly. And the full zoom view is impossible unless you fly with a telescope (and good luck with that). The game does not lock in a realistic view but it does force a tradeoff if you don't. Zoomed-in forces the player into target fixation and the inability to scan effectively without widening the FOV. Zoomed-out lowers the player's ability to see at distance.

If we all used TrackIr, I think the argument could be made to forbid all FOVs other than the default. But most players don't use a view tracking system so allowances must be made for gameplay.

Last edited by Smokin_Hole; 06/29/10 03:13 AM.
#3042065 - 06/29/10 08:46 AM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Sturm_Williger Offline
Sturm_Williger  Offline

Virtual Paradise
I'm not sure I fully understand the argument about not rendering aicraft until ( whatever the distance is in RoF - 2.5km ? ).

Firstly, if in multiplayer, your system must know where everyone else is - their basic position at least so it will know when to render them ( even if their "flying" is being done by their client pc ). If in Single Player, your system is flying them itself, so knows even better where they are.

How then, can they say they cannot render them further away because of the CPU load ?
The CPU load must surely be there already - and what, the load goes up if you zoom in and see him at 5km, but goes away if you zoom out and can't ??? screwy

"Another glass of your loathsome, vaguely beerish frozen swill, if you please."
#3042075 - 06/29/10 09:00 AM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: Sturm_Williger]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
The game is already aware of the position & maybe the attitude of more distant aircraft, otherwise the mission logic wouldn't work for the AI elements. All that is required is a representation of that position on screen

Yes the problem is getting them to forget their 100%-accurate dubiously-gained information on your should-be-occluded position in clouds

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#3043663 - 07/01/10 09:18 AM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: Dart]  
BullpupBarrie Offline
BullpupBarrie  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Dart
I just find it hilarious that someone would select 10% fuel.

The 10% fuel and long range sniping are all part of one big problem with all online games and that is that there are basically two types of players who want completely different things.

On the one hand you have the "Pros", who view it purely as a competition and who want to win, nothing else. They will do everything they can to do so. Not selecting 10% fuel would probably seem very foolish to them.

The other type of player views the experience as more important than winning. They would consider it mad to select 10% fuel and would never even open fire beyond 100m. I am firmly in this camp by the way. The "Pros" have invented a derogatory term for gamers like me - "Scrubs", (See this article for a laugh but be aware, they take themselves very seriously there - http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html).

I don't think there's any solution to long range sniping or stupid fuel loads other than playing on servers with like-minded people.

#3045863 - 07/05/10 12:39 AM Re: FM of the Camel and the DR1 [Re: Sturm_Williger]  
Oilburner Offline
Oilburner  Offline

Cedar Park, Tx.
Originally Posted By: Sturm_Williger
Have to admit, years of flying IL2 made dropping the fuel to 50% almost automatic, but I never actually considered lowering it to less than that.

I guess I should consider my typical online survival time ( about 5 minutes dizzy ) in selecting fuel loadout. That said, I always imagine that I'm going out for a mission of at least half an hour, otherwise, where's the immersion ?

Exactly the same here...50% was automatic but I have that IL2 thing built in where I'm loading 25% for me and 25% to leak out on the way back smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.