Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3036396 - 06/21/10 03:27 PM ...possibly the best computer game ever made...  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
"In the fall of 1990, MicroProse president, Bill Stealey suggested the time had come for us to do it, and we had until the summer of 1991."

Hard to believe this was almost 20 years ago! Enjoy some flight sim history...

++++++++++

DESIGNERS NOTES

Background

F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0 is the result of lots and lots of people working closely together over a long period of time. It really goes all the way back to 1987 when the first game on the topic was done.

Project Stealth Fighter (for the Commodore 64) was the first effort at a stealth game, and it worked remarkably well given the limited 8-bit, 1 MHz environment Arnold Hendrick and Jim Synoski had set the stage for the next try at a stealth game.

When Sid Meier and Andy Hollis teamed up to do the same game for a 16-bit IBM machine, a large team was quickly assembled to work on what we knew would be a great game. Four and a half man years later, when MicroProse finally released F-19 Stealth Fighter for the IBM in the fall of 1988, the US Air Force finally unveiled its much-rumored stealth fighter, the F-117A.

We thought F-19 would be a winner because it was the most realistic combat flight game to date for the commercial marketplace, but we had no idea of the magnitude of its success. It sold LOTS of copies fast and won just about every conceivable award in its first year it was on the shelves. It was proclaimed "...possibly the best computer game ever made..." The Software Publisher's Association voted it the best game of the year, and the accolades go on and on. Even now it continues to be one of our best-selling titles.

The Air Force had managed to keep the look of the F-117A a secret for nearly 10 years, fooling everyone, including various model makers, about the shape and the name of their stealth plane. As soon as we got a good look at the F-117A, we knew that sooner or later, we'd update F-19 to match the look of that aircraft.

In the fall of 1990, MicroProse president, Bill Stealey suggested the time had come for us to do it, and we had until the summer of 1991.

Design Team

Since 1988, MicroProse has done four new games using state-of-the-art 3-D technology. Andy Hollis came out with F-15 Strike Eagle II, for the fall of 1989, which used the same core system as F-19 but pushed the boundaries farther and faster. In 1990, he used a related 3-D system to produce Lightspeed. In both these products the 3-D was improved and modified to render more colorful, faster code. Meanwhile, Scott Spanburg had developed a different but related system, first for M1 Tank Platoon, then in the following year for Knights of the Sky. So we've gained lots of experience with 3-D systems, and it is fair to say that the 3-D system you see in F-117A is the product of all the 3-D work that MicroProse has done since 1988.

Lead programmer Joe Hellesen was given the unenviable task of taking a great game, F-19, and improving it. We were able to enlist Max Remington (3-D artist for virtually all of MicroProse's games) to do the new objects we needed. Bruce Shelley was charged with overseeing the development of the new worlds that would have to be constructed, and Bruce Milligan (a recently hired game designer) was charged with constructing them. Veteran computer artists Kim Biscoe and Barbara Bents were brought on-board to provide art for opening and closing screens, and Ed Fletcher, a new hot-shot addition to MPS labs, was brought on to do the front and end game programming.

From the onset, Joe and I agreed not to tamper with the basic gameplay F-19 was a real winner which had enjoyed phenomenal success, the basic gameplay is solid... "if it ain't broke don't fix it." We decided that, given time constraints, the best course was to concentrate on graphics to see if we could make it more realistic, fun and set a new standard for future flight sim in terms of graphic presentation of the world in which you fly.

Already, we had a system that allowed a great deal of detail but we wanted to enhance it, make it more believable, more colorful. The original game had been done with 16-color 3-D worlds (at the time 16-color EGA was pushing the limits of the technology), so the first step was to adapt the game to 256-color graphics. This meant a lot of work for Max and Joe. All the objects had to be recolored, and in some cases rebuilt to accommodate 256-color graphics.

To make sure players have plenty of areas in which to fly, we included all four worlds from the old F-19, and added five more two from F-15 II and three new ones.

The night world took on new significance because the real F-117A never flies combat sorties during the day. Joe and Kim came up with a striking night horizon. Then we added lights to the ground objects which switch on and off according to where you are (enemy or friendly territory), the level of tension, and what time of day it is. Next, we added a sky that lightens and darkens dynamically according to the time of day. Finally, we added the FLIR camera view, partly because it was "cool" and partly out of necessity: in the deepest, darkest night, it is imperative to use the FLIR so you can tell what you're looking at. These combine to give a very strong feeling of realism.

To go with these additions, we also needed a real-looking F-117 aircraft. Max spent several long weekends building the most complex object ever to appear in a home computer game, and Joe and Andy came up with a way to make all those surfaces and lines sort correctly.

During the development period, US forces were involved in a war in Iraq and Kuwait which showed just how effective precision bombing can be. Joe immediately began to work on a new view through the tracking camera one that would show the "real" world outside your aircraft, like video tape shown at briefings during the war. He linked this view to the nose view on the Maverick missile, because this weapon actually has a camera in its nose. (Other weapons that have nose cameras, like the GBU-15s that F-111's knocked out the pumping manifolds at Sea Island, are not represented in the game because they are probably too heavy for the F-117A).

The front and end of the game were completely redesigned to make it easier to navigate through options and to give a chance for some beautiful 256-color graphics to adorn your CRT. We added a feature that allows you (it you're the type) to quickly generate a bunch of missions until you get one you really want. Also, for those of you who want to know what it might be like to fly the real F-117, we included the "Lockheed F-117A" option that essentially cuts out some of the capabilities to make it more like the real plane.

There are a lot of other enhancements: a more intelligent and realistic cockpit, improved enemy AI, new targets, new missions, and on and on.

For those of you that have enjoyed the original F-19, we hope you'll like this one even more. For those who are playing our Stealth Fighter game for the first time, hold on to your seats and get ready for an experience of a lifetime.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3036400 - 06/21/10 03:31 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It's still unreal to me how quickly time has gone by. I started PC flight simming in 1989 when I bought a copy of Jetfighter at Radio Shack. I still can't believe that was 21 years ago now. Sigh.

Oh, and I did have lots of fun playing the original F-19 Stealth Fighter but I never did buy 2.0.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/21/10 03:32 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3036425 - 06/21/10 03:59 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
I played F-19 to death. One of my favorite games of all time. I still suck at flight sims and I think I was only able to land it once or twice. The way I would complete missions was to eject over the landing strip.

I still remember the sound when I was discovered and my stealth no longer worked.

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3036504 - 06/21/10 06:04 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: Destructis]  
Squid_DK Offline
Jack of all trades
Squid_DK  Offline
Jack of all trades

Copenhagen, Denmark
I had both stealth fighters, was a huge fan of Stealey, and the Microprose company, the quality of the games they made were in a league of their own.

Staffan

I've been behind before and still managed to loose
#3036516 - 06/21/10 06:19 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: Squid_DK]  
RMachucaA Offline
Sim Nut
RMachucaA  Offline
Sim Nut

I still have the ringing in my ears from playing it too loud, the engine noise is trully deafening.

#3036556 - 06/21/10 07:44 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: RMachucaA]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Fortunately we have a newer stealth sim in TAW, with lots of similarities (i.e. threading the needle, keeping a proper profile/aspect to radar, the obvious like keeping the bay doors closed...doh!, etc.). Where TAW has the DC (hopefully something I'll appreciate more when my copy of "The Air Campaign" arrives later this week), F-117A just has a BUTTLOAD of gameplay immersion, even if scripted!

I think my favorite gameplay feature of this sim is the ability to select different rules of engagement (I'm partial to Cold War, then Limited). I'm typing this from the manual, but it isn't just rhetoric, this is how the game actually plays...and from 1991!

++++++++++

POSTFLIGHT DEBREIFING

Ending a Mission

After the mission you are debriefed. Your commander goes over the mission step by step, evaluating each event as it occurs and assigning a numerical score. Basically, if you accomplish the mission and follow the Rules of Engagement (see below), you'll do very well. The more difficult the operation, the more credit you'll get.

Safe Landings

When you land, stop, and turn off your engines, the mission is over. You cannot refuel or rearm to continue the mission. Stealth missions are costly, carefully planned "one shot" operations. If a mission fails, higher-ups will decide later whether to try again, and if so, when, where and how.

Crashes

If you're using Easy or Realistic landings, crashing the aircraft ends the mission and your career. To remain alive, you must eject before the plane hits the ground. Of course, selecting "No Crash" eliminates this problem but greatly reduces your potential score.

Bailing Out

If you survive a bailout, you now have to worry about where you did it. Ejecting over the sea, far from an enemy coastline, is ideal because the aircraft sinks out of sight and you can be rescued. The next best location is over friendly territory. Again, you can be rescued, but fragments of the wreckage may be found by the public or by enemy spies. Bailing out over enemy territory is bad; even though your F-117A has a self-destruct mechanism, fragments of the plane will certainly be found by the enemy, teaching them valuable secrets of US stealth technology. In addition, you'll probably be captured and suffer a public trail and humiliation before the USAF manages to get you back.

Scoring Objectives

Above all follow the Rules of Engagement and accomplish the primary objective it's hard to do badly if you achieve this. Failing that, at least accomplish the secondary objective. If you fail both of these, it is difficult to gain any credit.

Cold War: It's important that nobody detect you. Visual sightings by enemy aircraft do the most damage. Enemy radars that positively track your plane are also bad.

Needless to say, random destruction is also unacceptable in Cold War, and destroying friendly planes and ground installations is the worse possible event. However, destruction of neutral or civilian targets is almost as bad. The least embarrassing events are destruction of enemy military targets, although even that should be avoided. In fact, the only time it is "permissible" to destroy targets is if your mission orders require it, the enemy has sighted or tracked you, or if the enemy fired first.

Limited War: It's also important to avoid detection during a Limited War, although the penalties aren't as great. Your commander wholeheartedly approves of attacks on enemy forces, including military aircraft and obvious military installations, but civilian targets (passenger airliners, oil wells, refineries, bridges, etc.) cause political problems and lower your score.

Conventional War: In this situation your commander doesn't care if you are detected, unless of course your plane is damaged by enemy fire (F-117As are very expensive).

You gain credit for destroying anything in enemy territory, even civilian targets (although military ones are worth more). In fact, your commander rather expects that youll do a bit more than just hit the objectives. The only possible negatives come from the destruction of neutrals or friendlies.

++++++++++

Where do we get gameplay like this anymore???

#3036560 - 06/21/10 07:49 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: MarkG

Where do we get gameplay like this anymore???

I'm not sure what you are referring to specifically but if you are referring to flying a stealth fighter and dealing with limited ROE due to Cold War status then I would say you dont find this type of gameplay anywhere at all now! smile

Falcon 4 has pretty detailed debriefings though.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3036573 - 06/21/10 08:02 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Are these kinds of older games lost to history? Speaking in terms of being playable today?

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3036575 - 06/21/10 08:06 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: adlabs6]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: adlabs6
Are these kinds of older games lost to history? Speaking in terms of being playable today?

Excellent question. In my best educated guess/estimation I'd say that hardcore flight simmers would still buy flight sims with this kind of gameplay and setting. Most of your casual flight simmers would probably not be intrested.

For example, casual gamers want to just blow crap up and fire lots of missiles, rockets, guns, etc. The notion of flying a secret mission in a stealth fighter to fly out to some enemy submarine base for a couple of hours to then just take a couple of recon photos and return to base would be an utter bore.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/21/10 08:10 PM.

#3036577 - 06/21/10 08:08 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
F-117A's ROE gameplay explained further...

++++++++++

Level of Conflict

The level of conflict in the region has a dramatic effect on how you must fly your missions. Each type of conflict has its own challenges. No choice is easier than another. In general, the hotter the war situation, the more violent and dangerous the mission, while Cold War demands careful planning and good judgement different skills, but no less important ones!

Cold War means clandestine missions. Flying without being detected is key. (Fortunately, enemy radars and SAMs arent excepting trouble. They often confirm a contact many times before attacking.) If you are detected, you must destroy the plane or radar which saw you. However, the more you use weapons, especially against any other targets, the greater the scandal, and the less successful your mission. In fact, many missions in the Cold War involve photo reconnaissance, flying secret materials in or out of enemy territory, or surgically removing a single, specific target.

Limited War missions are also clandestine. It is still important to fly without being seen, but since warfare is ongoing, military targets are fair game now. However, be careful to avoid hitting civilians. Attack and strike missions are common, but so are photo reconnaissance and clandestine spy missions. In limited war enemy radar operators expect some trouble. Their reactions are slightly faster.

Conventional War is all-out conflict. Inflicting the maximum destruction upon the enemy is the main objective here. Avoiding detection has no political importance, but it is useful if you want to survive the mission! Any target in enemy territory is fair game, military or civilian. However, enemy air defense operators rarely confirm their targets in wartime everybody shoots first and asks questions afterward!

++++++++++

Theres more, but Ive typed enough.

#3036598 - 06/21/10 08:40 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: adlabs6

Excellent question. In my best educated guess/estimation I'd say that hardcore flight simmers would still buy flight sims with this kind of gameplay and setting. Most of your casual flight simmers would probably not be intrested.

For example, casual gamers want to just blow crap up and fire lots of missiles, rockets, guns, etc. The notion of flying a secret mission in a stealth fighter to fly out to some enemy submarine base for a couple of hours to then just take a couple of recon photos and return to base would be an utter bore.
It is indeed a good question, and I think it could work if we went back to the big printed manuals that fed the imagination. The cost of producing the books could be offset by not requiring the latest and greatest graphics technology.

#3036601 - 06/21/10 08:43 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: mikew]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
Leave my uber 16 color EGA graphics alone.

#3036618 - 06/21/10 08:56 PM Re: ...possibly the best computer game ever made... [Re: mikew]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I think mikew nailed it.

I'm off on this tangent today because last night before dozing off I felt like reading something different so I grabbed the F-117 Manual (usually it's Red Storm Rising or Crusade).

I can only play about a half mission with DOSBOX (0.74) unless I turn detail way low (Alt+D), it's too jerky. Not that I mind even less graphics with a game this old, but I have too hard a time with SA on low detail. One day I'll have the PC to run it properly! smile

Funny, sometimes on my main PC I'll fly an ultra-lite at night over a lighted city in FSX, stunning graphics. Yet F-117A is still acceptable to me because gameplay is so to my liking. I can't imagine F-117A with FSX graphics!

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#3036648 - 06/21/10 09:40 PM Re: “...possibly the best computer game ever made...” [Re: MarkG]  
FastCargo Offline
FastCargo  Offline

I don't know if there is ANY flight sim in recent memory where you could have the combination of stealth considerations and ROE.

I can remember missions taking an hour or more, because I'd fly at < 100 feet, arc around radar sites, dodge MANPADs, adjust my flight path to pass behind OPFOR, just so I could take a picture and make my way back out.

Some of the most tense successful missions were those where I never fired a shot.

Man, I miss that...

FC

Last edited by FastCargo; 06/21/10 09:44 PM.
#3036652 - 06/21/10 09:41 PM Re: &#8220;...possibly the best computer game ever made...&#8221; [Re: FastCargo]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
Quote:
Some of the most tense missions were those where I never fired a shot.

It's been a long time, but if I remember correctly, F-19 had some missions where you just had to sneak in and do recon by taking pictures.

#3036654 - 06/21/10 09:45 PM Re: &#8220;...possibly the best computer game ever made...&#8221; [Re: Destructis]  
FastCargo Offline
FastCargo  Offline

Well, ya, that's what I mean...I tend to group F-19 and F-117 into the same sim because for the most part they were.

FC

#3036656 - 06/21/10 09:49 PM Re: &#8220;...possibly the best computer game ever made...&#8221; [Re: Destructis]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
I remember the missions in which you were required to land at a specific airfield to pick up a special package and then take-off to the required destination and drop it off. Hell, I used to load up the game just to watch the intro. It was even better when I finally got my first Sound Blaster (PRO)! I couldn't get the game to recognize my Thrustmaster joystick, however, but that never stopped me from playin'!

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#3036679 - 06/21/10 10:09 PM Re: &#8220;...possibly the best computer game ever made...&#8221; [Re: Brennus]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Brennus
I couldn't get the game to recognize my Thrustmaster joystick, however, but that never stopped me from playin'!

You reminded me of something else. F-19 was one of the few flight sims that I actually flew with the keyboard. A few others were F-15 Strike Eagle II and Gunship!

#3036691 - 06/21/10 10:23 PM Re: &#8220;...possibly the best computer game ever made...&#8221; [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
I remember both F-19 and F-117 very well. Played the hell out of F-19 (still remember the recon missions over the Kola peninsula. Very tense!

F-117 I didn't play that much, I blame Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Red Baron and LHX Attack Chopper for that. Oh, and Wing Commander. wink

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 06/21/10 10:24 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3036708 - 06/21/10 10:42 PM Re: &#8220;...possibly the best computer game ever made...&#8221; [Re: Para_Bellum]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
My favorite was bombing the sub pens in Murmansk. biggrin

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.