Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3023969 - 06/03/10 06:50 AM 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Jason asked that I post this because he is sitting in economy class flying home from a business trip in Taiwan.
He will answer questions after the flight back and some sleep on Friday.

Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition

June 3, 2010 – 777 Studios is proud to announce that the award-winning WWI flight-simulation Rise of Flight is back and it’s bigger and better than ever with Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition! It will be released in North America in boxed form on June 29th, 2010. Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition will be available at major PC game retailers such as GoGamer.com, Amazon.com, Fry’s Electronics and others to be named soon. It will be distributed by CompuExpert. The MSRP is $49.99.

Download the full Press Announcement

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3024451 - 06/03/10 11:05 PM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: citizen guod]  
WWSandMan Offline
WW: Online Since 1992
WWSandMan  Offline

Mankato, Minnesota, U.S.A.
Thumbs-up. Nice way to get some fresh interest generated and allow folks to jump into RoF with all (or most of?) the content the rest of us have paid for a little at a time over the past year.

I know I haven't read the release very closely yet, but is there anything new for existing RoF owners, and if so will that content be available to existing owners via standard update of the game (excluding any new aircraft that will need to be purchased separately) ??

#3024468 - 06/03/10 11:39 PM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: WWSandMan]  
BadBud Offline
BadBud  Offline

La Mesa, California, USA
Am wondering what the minimum PC requirements will be: the same or higher? Now flying and enjoying RoF with the bear minimum PC and hoping that that the Iron Cross Edition will be the same.
Any hope?

BadBud
www.simflite.com

#3024499 - 06/04/10 12:49 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: BadBud]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Looks like it's a "Gold Edition" with more flyables inclusive in the price.

Quite a deal if one doesn't own the sim yet.

I did some math, and the included flyables, if bought seperately, come up to $45.72 (if one pre-orders). With an MSRP of 50 USD, it's a no brainer.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3024528 - 06/04/10 01:51 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: Dart]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

So current owners of ROF won't get anything from purchasing this, correct?

#3024563 - 06/04/10 03:16 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: BuddyWoof]  
WWSandMan Offline
WWSandMan  Offline

Mankato, Minnesota, U.S.A.
Apparently correct. New-comers to the sim get a nice little nudge however.

I suppose this means that the DFC version is somewhere down the line, in a year or so??

~~~

Does this mean I should start my RoF disk collection?? Only fitting since I have :

For the Red Baron series: RB, RB2, RB3D (four or five actually), plus several disks of mods and tools

For Il-2 series: IL-2, Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters, 1946, plus expansion disks (PE-2, Battle Over Europe, etc., etc.) and countless home made disks of missions, campaigns, skins, mods and tools.

The answer is obviously "yes", since I am apparently a collector of things related to my favorite flight sims...

#3024658 - 06/04/10 07:04 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: WWSandMan]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Hello Everyone.

Just arrived back from Asia and figured I would address some questions about ROF:ICE before getting to sleep in my own bed for the first time in a month.

ROF:ICE is the same product you have now and both versions are fully compatible with each other. ROF:ICE is simply all of the patches and enhancements you currently have to download (which can be tedious) included on the disk in new packaging. To spice up the initial offering we added 4 more flyables to the package and as a special bonus we added one more plane as a Launch Bonus (Retailers like this kind of thing). Which Bonus plane you get depends on which retailer you buy from. And the Free Bonus plane will be for a limited time.

ROF:ICE is a product designed primarily for North American retailers. However, it will also eventually be released in Europe and it will also be released in Digital form, but not for a few weeks later after it is established in retail. ROF:ICE will become the standard SKU for ROF moving forward and replace the original ROF Ver. 1.0 Box at retailers. There are few Ver. 1.0 boxes left in the channels and they will most likely go on sale to move them to make room for ROF:ICE. Also, the MSRP for ROF:ICE is $49.99. Slightly higher due to the added planes and new packaging and posters etc. in the box. Plus, it would not be very fair to those that already bought it and purchased additional planes if we offered it at the same or lower price. We hope to do something for current users who already paid full-price and bought some planes, but details on that will come later. Also, the average user has bought 2 or so planes from our store. Some have bought all and some none. So, we averaged it out and decided that the new MSRP should be close to the average amount we know most ROF users are willing to spend. The $49.99 MSRP is very close to that average. We felt that is a pretty fair way to do it. The general business model of ROF remains the same with some planes in main SKU and others as add-ons.

A lot of feedback from you the community was taken into account when we created ROF:ICE and it is much closer to what most of you expected at original launch a year ago. So this is a good development for ROF at retail and it should bring you some more wingies to play with or shoot down! Again, this is the new standard edition of ROF. We had to name it something other than the original name so not to confuse people or retailers.

The Iron Cross represents, to me at least, the strength and toughness of the team to march on and keep fighting to being you a top-notch simulation under intense criticism and pressure. We hope you also recognize their hard work and wish us luck with the new edition.

More good stuff to come.

Jason

#3024709 - 06/04/10 10:55 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
The box art is absolutely great - I never liked the original with the rather stressed looking pilot.

Hope it sells well!

Cheers,

Nick

Beyond gliding distance
#3025394 - 06/05/10 03:08 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: RocketDog]  
exhausted Offline
exhausted  Offline

none
Hey cool, but I'm dumbfounded about the awards won by this sim? Could it have been the award for "Best Incomplete Beta Released at Retail Price"?

Words, such as liberal and liberty, all trace their history to the Latin liber, which means "free".
#3025439 - 06/05/10 05:16 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: WWSandMan]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

Originally Posted By: WWSandMan
Apparently correct. New-comers to the sim get a nice little nudge however.

I suppose this means that the DFC version is somewhere down the line, in a year or so??

~~~

Does this mean I should start my RoF disk collection?? Only fitting since I have :

For the Red Baron series: RB, RB2, RB3D (four or five actually), plus several disks of mods and tools

For Il-2 series: IL-2, Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters, 1946, plus expansion disks (PE-2, Battle Over Europe, etc., etc.) and countless home made disks of missions, campaigns, skins, mods and tools.

The answer is obviously "yes", since I am apparently a collector of things related to my favorite flight sims...

Cool. I still have the Original RB3D Eric Lanz from Dynamix sent me after beta testing it. smile

I would buy ICE if it were signed by the developement team...... smile

#3025509 - 06/05/10 01:18 PM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: exhausted]  
nuggetx Offline
nuggetx  Offline

Originally Posted By: exhausted
Hey cool, but I'm dumbfounded about the awards won by this sim? Could it have been the award for "Best Incomplete Beta Released at Retail Price"?

yes you are right

#3025608 - 06/05/10 04:38 PM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: nuggetx]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Is there going to be additional paper manuals, etc in the new box? I'm in the category of one who bought the original, but then has not bought any of the add-ons, so it looks aobut 6 of one, half a dozen of the other in terms of buying all the add-ons or pre-ordering the new release.

#3025907 - 06/06/10 04:18 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: Nimits]  

Thee is an updated manual, but it's no a super lengthy one. This is not a study sim like BlackShark.

It's up to you if you want to buy anything further. I'm not holding a gun to your head. But ROF today is not the same thing that you bought a year ago, extra planes or not.

ROF:ICE is a re-launch that is fully compatible with the original release, unlike other sims throuhgout history we are sticking with that approach instead of asking all previous owner to pony up again.

ROF:ICE will give newcomers to ROF a faster, more pleasant and easier time flying and fighting.

Jason

#3026126 - 06/06/10 04:41 PM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: BuddyWoof]  
Brendan Offline
Brendan  Offline

Any news on whether you will be reconsidering the customer-hostile online DRM reqirement?

#3026152 - 06/06/10 05:36 PM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: Brendan]  
Fishingnut Offline
Fishingnut  Offline

Good ole' U. S. of A.
I still have a rather bad taste in my mouth from posting in the SimHQ ROF forum to announce my new interest in this game after the constant online thing was removed. I asked for help to get started and all I got was bashed from the faithful in the community for not being one who embraced it from the start, despite the DRM online thing. I was a bad guy and they patted themselves on the back. It became such a mess they ended up having to delete the entire thread! And all I asked for was help getting started in the sim!! No thanks now, I went and got immersed in the IL2 modding community instead! Holding out for Maddox's SOW now, will skip this one and their hostile fanboi community people.

#3026171 - 06/06/10 06:19 PM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: Fishingnut]  
exhausted Offline
exhausted  Offline

none
I'de say you're doing the right thing Fishingnut. The way I see it, ROF was released a year early in an incomplete form and now they're trying to sell a more complete version of the game now. It doesn't work that way. If I could resell my coaster with the words "Rise of Flight" on it then I would.

Il-2 is still the way to go, and SoW will not let us down.

Last edited by exhausted; 06/06/10 06:20 PM.

Words, such as liberal and liberty, all trace their history to the Latin liber, which means "free".
#3027208 - 06/08/10 08:04 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: Brendan]  

Originally Posted By: Brendan
Any news on whether you will be reconsidering the customer-hostile online DRM reqirement?

That's already been addressed. There is an offline mode now.

I suggest reading Darts new review of ROF. It's a comprhensive review.

Jason

#3027214 - 06/08/10 08:21 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: exhausted]  

Originally Posted By: exhausted
I'de say you're doing the right thing Fishingnut. The way I see it, ROF was released a year early in an incomplete form and now they're trying to sell a more complete version of the game now. It doesn't work that way. If I could resell my coaster with the words "Rise of Flight" on it then I would.

Il-2 is still the way to go, and SoW will not let us down.

I have to say something here. It does work that way if the owner of the sim (the guy whose money the sim was built with) decided to release it early against the team's wishes. But now there are new owners and a re-launch of a newer, more complete version is warranted. There is a lot to the story that the community does not know and probably will never know about ROF due to confidentialty agreements. The ferocious attacks on ROF by members of the community was very disheartening to the the team since they worked so hard, especially because some of the decisions surrounding it's launch and feature set was out of their direct control. That plus being a rookie team and a lack of English skills lead to some missteps along the way sure. But luckily, they didn't listen to the naysayers and decided to fight to save ROF and they have done a great job under tremendous pressure and now the team and new owners control it's destiny.

You'll get two-seaters and a new Career system in the not too distant future along with more aircraft. What the team needs now is the community to stop the negativity and forget the squabbles of a few months ago. The team and engine is capable of so much more if we support them. The future is already being considered.

Why throw all your hopes in with only one development house?

The genre has been stagnant for years. We're trying, along with others to revive it and bring back the good times. Help us, don't hurt us.

Jason

#3027216 - 06/08/10 08:41 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: Fishingnut]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Originally Posted By: Fishingnut
Holding out for Maddox's SOW now, will skip this one and their hostile fanboi community people.

?

No, really, why would you pay any attention to a forum?

I've had numerous problems with RoF, starting with a seizure when they announced online reqs (and some did defend this in an unreasonable fashion, IMHFO), followed by ~$500 dollars worth of upgrades in a failed attempt to make the game playable. But the obvious heart in this sim keeps me coming back, the same care factor you find in Oleg's products and DCS team.

In the end I just took the long view, eventually I'll buy a whole new system and it should run smooth as silk. And if not, RoF + planes cost me less than I spend on alcohol in a week. Why get torn up about a purchase that costs so little for such a (potential at this point) return?

#3027220 - 06/08/10 08:51 AM Re: 777 Studios to Release Rise of Flight: Iron Cross Edition in North America [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Brendan Offline
Brendan  Offline

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Originally Posted By: Brendan

That's already been addressed. There is an offline mode now.

I suggest reading Darts new review of ROF. It's a comprhensive review.

Jason

Thanks for the feedback Jason. Out of respect for SimHQ's policy and the devs I just want to say one quick thing and I'll leave this thread to you guys wanting to discuss other aspects of this release.

I really do appreciate what you are doing with the genre but calling it an "offline mode" is somewhat misleading as the sim needs to communicate with your server after each mission in the single player campaign. Unfortunately some of us do not have access to an internet connection wherever or whenever we play and this seriously hampers our ability to enjoy your product.

I find myself wanting to support you for keeping the genre alive but unfortunately I am unwilling to buy a product which is not fully playable.

Since RoF has been available for over a year I think that the release of Iron Cross would be a great opportunity to make your product as accessible as possible to a wider audience and those that did not buy it originally for whatever reason instead of trying to resell it to the same people who own it.

Last edited by Brendan; 06/08/10 08:54 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.