Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3013293 - 05/17/10 06:35 PM I am going to write an article about ROF, need help  
LLv26_Pihi Offline
LLv26_Pihi  Offline

Finland
S!
I write articles for Ridin' & Drivin', new finnish magazine for grown ups. Last year i wrote about IL2 Sturmovik and how to start and play online. Now we have WW1-based stories in next issue, and i play and fly ROF for it.(I also write how to start flying, how to add custom skins and so on... problem is that i haven't fly this as much as IL2)
What you think is best part of ROF?
What is your opinion of buy planes separetely?
Do you feel that planes are "real"?

I also try to make track from flying, but somehow it was quite difficult. How i can make tracks? After last patch i have lost also all nicelooking skins what there was...

Lets start with these, i add more questions when i have flied more...

Pihi

Last edited by LLv26_Pihi; 05/17/10 06:36 PM.

Want to take part of LLv26 flight training?

Flying Red armys target, propably full of holes....
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3013324 - 05/17/10 07:22 PM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: LLv26_Pihi]  
Daniel_Han Offline
Daniel_Han  Offline

Russia, Moscow
Hmmm...
For first look - Quick Mission is the best choise (if you know how to manage plane and fight in RoF). You may select most beautiful location on the Europe map in QM, also you may perform some fighting there - be attentive to Quick Mission screen settings. QM is also good for feeling the plane physics, world sounding, graphics and ect.

If you don't know anything - it's better to start from Training Campaign.

Best impression from game process - on DogFight server. Select one of most populated and get it started. But be attentive - there are much experied players which wanna kill you :-) And it's better to have enough skills at least in basic plane controlling to have good impressin from Multiplayer.

Moving forward - is a result of a good kick up the backside
Daniel Tuseyev
Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad and Rise Of Flight projects manager
#3013371 - 05/17/10 08:34 PM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: Daniel_Han]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Best part - flying and fighting.

Per-plane purchase - not my favorite feature, but the amounts are small and one doesn't have to purchase them in order to play the sim in single or multi-player.*

Flight Model - sure feels "right" to me, understanding that no PC sim is going to be perfect. They nailed the visual cues with altitude and speed. First sim for me where sound really, really matters and helps flying.

Bind a key to start recording in the Settings in the sim. I use the ; for mine, as it isn't near anything useful that will harm my flight!

* as long as the host allows the four "standard" planes into the missions.

Last edited by Dart; 05/17/10 08:35 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3013373 - 05/17/10 08:38 PM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: LLv26_Pihi]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
Originally Posted By: LLv26_Pihi

1. Best parts of RoF - the "sensation of flight" is the best yet in a flight sim. It's the combination of great graphics, sounds and very detailed 3D aircraft models. It's far ahead of any other flight sim. Also, the developers really interact well with the community.

2. Buying planes is a clever business model. They are cheap (only a fraction of the cost of FSX aircraft) and will help keep the sim going. Good idea, in my opinion.

3. I've done a bit of real-life flying and the feeling of flight is the most "real" I have experienced on a PC.

Cheers,

Nick

Beyond gliding distance
#3013410 - 05/17/10 09:22 PM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: LLv26_Pihi]  
Dumbo Offline
Dumbo  Offline

Titletown USA

The best part of RoF is the "feeling of flight" that it gives you. I've "flown" many different sims over the years, but this one is definitely different. It's exhilarating to say the least. Landscape and other small details are outstanding, which adds immensely to the immersion factor--particularly so in this sim where so many of the furballs grind their way down to the deck.

Although I'd prefer not having to buy each plane separately, as a businessperson I can certainly understand neoqb's model in this regard. They've got to make a buck and show a return on their investment and, let's face it, the number of WWI aviation aficionados out there is a lot smaller than the number of WWII or jet fans. Therefore, in terms of pure business savvy, charging for new aircraft was a smart move. When you consider the fact that you need a VERY expensive hunk of computer hardware to run this thing, an extra $7.92 US per plane is nothing. It's the cost of lunch at a fast food joint! Also, you don't have to buy them all. I personally have no interest in the pre-1917 models. To each his own.

Yes, the level of detail in the planes is outstanding. They are the most "real" of any sim I've flown, obviously adding to the experience.

Dumbo
pilot

Intel Core i7-6700 processor 3.4 Ghz
Asus Strix GeForce GTX960 4GB graphics card
Kingston 240GB SSD hard drive
Gigabyte Z170X GAMING 3 mobo
Cougar RS 650 watt power supply
Kingston 8GB PC4-2133 desktop RAM
Windows 10 Premium 64 OEI
24" Dell LCD monitor
CH Fighterstick/ProPedals
TrackIR 5-Pro
#3013855 - 05/18/10 04:30 PM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: Dumbo]  
LLv26_Pihi Offline
LLv26_Pihi  Offline

Finland
last time I tried Fokker triplane, that was quite hard to handle at dogfights. Are those stalls realistic? Maybe, so far I can say about it... Never flied anything real so much i can compare, only few hours with 172 Cessna, but that feels like old van...(over 7 years flying online IL2, but these are really different birds...)

I wonder also that moment when my plane hit little harder at countryside, after a while birds start singing somewhere near... first i really think i am become more mad that i already am.... :-) Continue test flights...
Cheers,
Pihi
edit: And thanks for info, if someone have more opinions, i would like to hear them too.

Last edited by LLv26_Pihi; 05/18/10 04:31 PM.

#3013895 - 05/18/10 05:13 PM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: LLv26_Pihi]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Yes on the birds! Ambient sounds are in there.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3016583 - 05/22/10 06:45 PM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: Dart]  
LLv26_Pihi Offline
LLv26_Pihi  Offline

Finland
Could anyone point me where i can get those nice skins, which disappear last patch? I have flown now few missions, and must say, not only because of magazine! This is wery nice job indeed:-)))

#3016607 - 05/22/10 07:40 PM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: LLv26_Pihi]  
Vanderstok Offline
Vanderstok  Offline

Netherlands

Last edited by Vanderstok; 05/22/10 07:46 PM.
#3016787 - 05/23/10 12:58 AM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: Vanderstok]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: Vanderstok

Thanks Vanderstok, I didn't know a Wiki page had been started.
Bookmarked for future use. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3016916 - 05/23/10 05:32 AM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
LLv26_Pihi Offline
LLv26_Pihi  Offline

Finland
Thanks for info, I really miss those nicelooking skins! Weird, Fokker triplane campaign last only 2 missions....

#3017502 - 05/24/10 05:10 AM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: LLv26_Pihi]  
LLv26_Pihi Offline
LLv26_Pihi  Offline

Finland
I wrote an article last night. I must say that i have much more positive feelings than i first think about ROF.

#3018318 - 05/25/10 07:17 AM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: LLv26_Pihi]  
Daniel_Han Offline
Daniel_Han  Offline

Russia, Moscow
last time I tried Fokker triplane, that was quite hard to handle at dogfights. Are those stalls realistic? Maybe, so far I can say about it... Never flied anything real so much i can compare, only few hours with 172 Cessna, but that feels like old van...(over 7 years flying online IL2, but these are really different birds...)

Actualy, Sopwith Camel and Fokker Dr.I have had the best abilities for Dogfighting, in Real life. This is represented in RoF.
But they were very hard-controlable birds, only experied pilots was able to use their advantages. This is represented in RoF too.
That is why Fokker D.VIIF is named as "best Central Powers fighter of WWI" - enough of performance together with exelent control-ability and flight stability. This allows green-pilots to have some success (my case :-) ).
But even if green liot will be on Fokker D.VIIF, veteran on the Fokker Dr.I will overturn him. And this is represented in RoF Dogfight too.

Moving forward - is a result of a good kick up the backside
Daniel Tuseyev
Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad and Rise Of Flight projects manager
#3018364 - 05/25/10 10:32 AM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: Daniel_Han]  
LLv26_Pihi Offline
LLv26_Pihi  Offline

Finland
Thanks for info, flying start feeling better after i chance settings with my joystick.(maybe too good feeling, says my wife after midnight:-))
At beginning i make too fast and large movements for Fokker in dogfight:-) That was one reason why i stall so often...

#3018482 - 05/25/10 03:01 PM Re: I am going to write an article about ROF, need help [Re: LLv26_Pihi]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Yank and Bank Smile2

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.