Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3015081 - 05/20/10 12:16 PM Best TV Show Finales  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
I just saw this on MSN. It's one of those slideshow type things.

http://specials.msn.com/A-List/TV-show-f...amp;FORM=MSNIIT

I am going to list them as I look at them. It doesn't seem to be in any particular order.

Mary Tyler Moore Show
MASH
St. Elsewhere
Newhart
Dallas
The Cosby Show
Cheers
Seinfeld
Friends
The Sopranos

It gives a little more detail on what happened on each final episode. My two favorites are Newhart and MASH. MASH was saying goodbye to old friends and Newhart had me laughing for a couple of minutes.

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3015083 - 05/20/10 12:20 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: Destructis]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
The only finale I've seen from those on your list was the finale for Seinfeld. I was quite underwhelmed by that finale to be honest.

My personal best tv show finale list would be,

1. Babylon 5
2. Battlestar Galactica (even with its flaws)
3. Twin Peaks
4. Rome

And while I'm a huge X-Files fan I have to admit that I was quite disappointed with its finale.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3015100 - 05/20/10 12:38 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I remember the MASH one, that was a serious one.

St. Elsewhere was good, had people thinking to figure out what just happened.
Cheers was sad, but funny when they went to the cast party that was going on and George Wendt was WASTED (as they all were, but mainly him).

Newhart was funny, but also seemed a little cheap. After that I had no desire to watch the reruns. It was original though, nice cameo. LOL

Seinfeld ending sucked completely.

The B5 ending (hard to say for real though, with all of the movies) was very good and almost emotional. You felt it was the end of an era and major story coming to a close.

BSG...cheap, cheesy, out of character, reaching desperately to explain the silliness of the last few seasons. Sorry Panzer. LOL

Highlander the series....after a lackluster season, the end of the next to last season had a HUGE bombshell, the finale wrapped up a lot of things and ended the way an immortal eventually ends an era of his life. I liked it. If only the movies would follow the quality of that show in it's prime.

Star Trek TNG: WOW! Very good, and also very much ignored by any show or movie afterwards. Set about 30 years down the road, it had Warp 13, the modified Enterprise D with Riker as Capt, a 3rd nacelle, and a huge friggin gun strapped under the belly that takes out Klingon battleships with a single shot--right through their shields. DATA retired and was teaching IIRC, still emotionless, Geordi had eyes IIRC.

ER...not bad, it really took place over the season. Mainly it was good since it should've been done about 4-5 years before--at least they finally did it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3015285 - 05/20/10 05:14 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
LightHead Offline
LightHead  Offline

Ontario, Canada
I agree with PM except BSG as I never was able to get into it.

I would also add the original UK version of Life on Mars as a show with an EXCELLENT finale. I'm going to watch the series finale of Ashes to Ashes this weekend.

I can't recommend those two series enough.

..seriously.. I'm like Razorback is with Chuck.

Last edited by LightHead; 05/20/10 05:16 PM.

Ever forward!
#3015294 - 05/20/10 05:37 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: LightHead]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
MASH is my hands down favorite.

Newhart was pretty good.

The Sopranos was cryptic but good.

Seinfeld disappointed. I know they were looking for a vehicle to get all the past characters together in one room, but it just didn't work and it sure wasn't funny. Too bad for such a great show.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#3015409 - 05/20/10 08:10 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: 20mm]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Everyone keeps remarking about the Seinfeld finale. But few know the last Seinfeld took place in a penitentiary called "OZ"

See here--the Final Seinfeld!

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#3015416 - 05/20/10 08:18 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: LightHead]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: LightHead

I'm curious to know. What was it about BSG that made it not your kind of show?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3015419 - 05/20/10 08:21 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: bones]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
MASH has the best of any TV show ending ever if you ask me.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#3015445 - 05/20/10 09:13 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: LightHead]  
vault_dweller Offline
Wasteland Wanderer
vault_dweller  Offline
Wasteland Wanderer

Cafe of Broken Dreams
I would also add the original UK version of Life on Mars as a show with an EXCELLENT finale.

The US version of Life on Mars only lasted one season. It was an excellent show with a great cast, but I wasn't really sure about the finale. Did the UK version end the same way? Spoiler below.

Click to reveal..
That is the main characters were really aboard a spacecraft on its way to Mars, and the time travel back to the 70's era police story was just one character's dream while he was in cryo-sleep.

It was 1990, give or take, I don't remember
When the news of revolution hit the air
The girls hadn't even started taking down our posters
When the boys started cutting off their hair

The radio stations all decided angst was finally old enough
It ought to have a proper home
Dead, fat, or rich, nobodys left to #%&*$#
About the goings on in self destructive zones

#3015466 - 05/20/10 09:36 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: vault_dweller]  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
MASH and BSG are tops for me. I liked TNG's the best out of all the Star Trek spin-offs. I don't remember many of them like Friends and Cheers, so they must have been pretty lame. Seinfeld's was just not funny, extremely disappointing.

#3015470 - 05/20/10 09:40 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: HarryM]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Knew Bob Newhart had to be in there. One of the cleverest fanales ever.
Don't know how many of you watched "Six Feet Under" about a family that owned a mortuary.
The last episode showed the future, and how they all would die. Thought that was pretty neat.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3015473 - 05/20/10 09:42 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: HarryM]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Seinfeld was awful, utter dreck. Friends was pretty good, Frasier was better though.

MASH probably had the best ending of all, of course.

pfunk

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3015514 - 05/20/10 11:29 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: PFunk]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
The last episode of Band of Brothers never fails to choke me up.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#3015525 - 05/20/10 11:48 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LightHead Offline
LightHead  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

I'm curious to know. What was it about BSG that made it not your kind of show?

I just couldn't get into the whole "60 minutes until we jump" stress of it all. I know it changes after a few episodes, but all the intense stares and the "AHH WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!" were too melodramatic for me. It's one of those things that I'd probably like if I could make it past the opening episodes, but I don't have: a) the time, or b) the inclination. Kinda like Lost actually..

In regards to Life on Mars..

The UK version of Life on Mars is incomparably better than the American version. The ending is much different and was actually recently voted by UK viewers the top series finale out of 50.

Ever forward!
#3015546 - 05/21/10 12:36 AM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: vault_dweller]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
UK "Life on Mars" ended quite differently. All in all a far superior series than the Americanized version.
The sequal 'Ashes to Ashes' is at the end of its' 3rd and final series. It actually turned out better than I though it would. Gene gennie has been a great character, (so far). "Come on out, you are surrounded by armed Bast--ds".

#3015756 - 05/21/10 11:40 AM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: iron mike]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
"All Good Things" from TNG was the best finale I've ever seen on a series. Just superb.

Jason

#3015897 - 05/21/10 04:09 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
I agree about Babylon 5's "Sleeping in Light" as being one of my favorite finales. DS9 was the same year, and almost as emotional.

I'm guessing the article came up because the finale for Lost is this Sunday night? The show has been incredible this season, but to be honest, the closer we get to the end, the more afraid I'm becoming that we're going to get a finale that resembles the last 10-15 minutes of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show." It'd be a good way to explain everything on the island, after all.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3015908 - 05/21/10 04:29 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: NavyNuke99]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: NavyNuke99
I agree about Babylon 5's "Sleeping in Light" as being one of my favorite finales.

Let me put it this way, "Sleeping in Light" up to now is the ONLY tv show finale that has made me cry.

#3015915 - 05/21/10 04:37 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: NavyNuke99]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
Originally Posted By: NavyNuke99
I'm guessing the article came up because the finale for Lost is this Sunday night? The show has been incredible this season, but to be honest, the closer we get to the end, the more afraid I'm becoming that we're going to get a finale that resembles the last 10-15 minutes of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show." It'd be a good way to explain everything on the island, after all.

Yep it's why it came up.

I stopped watching after the first season of Lost. I got iritated that it kept asking more questions before it answered any of the previous ones. I thought about it during the summer of the first season and I saw it as a carrot on a stick. I figured that either it would get cancelled and we would never know what happened or the explanation would be so stupid that I would feel like I wasted years of my life over something and just sit there for 15 minutes going WTF???????

I wasn't willing to make the investment. I got out of Flash Forward for the same reason. Flash Forward got cancelled so I am curious as to if they are going to actually wrap the show up just leave people going WTF?????

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3015937 - 05/21/10 05:03 PM Re: Best TV Show Finales [Re: Destructis]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: Destructis

I stopped watching after the first season of Lost. I got iritated that it kept asking more questions before it answered any of the previous ones. I thought about it during the summer of the first season and I saw it as a carrot on a stick. I figured that either it would get cancelled and we would never know what happened or the explanation would be so stupid that I would feel like I wasted years of my life over something and just sit there for 15 minutes going WTF???????

There was actually a running joke in the podcasts that if the show was cancelled prematurely, the last episode aired would be an orangutang sitting in a chair, smoking a pipe, and reading an emergency script with the answers to all the questions being asked.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.