Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3012888 - 05/17/10 12:07 AM The Time Has Come.  
ElAurens Offline
ElAurens  Offline

USA
My finger is hovering over the uninstall button.

Yeah, there is DF mode now, but it is still so firmly a beta that I don't think it will ever get any better.

And more importantly, it just has not captured my imagination like IL2, or SH4, have.

It just feels so, so dead and lifeless. I don't know how else to explain it. It's environment is just too sterile.

When I fly IL2 I can easily suspend my disbelief, and get lost in the game. In RoF it's just painfully obvious that it's a video game, and you are flying in a pixel world.

This is not easy as I really wanted, and still want, a great WW1 air combat sim. I love the aircraft and am fascinated by the personalities that shaped the foundations of all air combat.

Good luck to you all, and take care.

EL, out.

Curtiss Fan Boy.

Online as BlitzPig_EL.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3012898 - 05/17/10 12:46 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: ElAurens]  
MJMORROW Offline
NEWGUY
MJMORROW  Offline
NEWGUY

El,
So maybe we can come up with a list of elements that aid in suspension of disbelief. I believe that the Neoqb team is going to open up the SDK, to some extent. What are the elements that contribute to suspension of disbelief, present in IL2, you feel are absent in ROF? I understand that it is difficult to describe this sense of sterility, within the environment, but maybe there are preexisting means of making the environment come alive.

Instead of complaining about SPAD 7s, Central pilots should capture and fly them too. I suggest putting an apple in the middle of your Aerodrome field and just wait. Eventually a SPAD 7 will come by to get the apple, cause SPADS can't resist apples. This is how the Entente gets a hold of SPAD 7s, m-kay?
-MJ Morrow
#3012910 - 05/17/10 01:29 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: MJMORROW]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
This year will bring many new improvements to SP, so don't go away for too long smile
I would imagine that most visual additions should be avilable in MP too, probably. That is only a guess though.

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
#3012930 - 05/17/10 02:13 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: TailFlamer]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

What's up with these "I'm leaving" and "I'm returning" posts in this forum? And, why would I care?

#3012965 - 05/17/10 04:12 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: BuddyWoof]  
ishbu Offline
ishbu  Offline

n.e. Ohio
Could'nt disagree more, I think this one's pretty awesome. Would'nt mind seeing a ww2 sim out of these guy's

#3012994 - 05/17/10 05:19 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: ishbu]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I have no idea what you expected this sim to be.

Seriously, you've been crapping on it since day one, and you're still crapping on it. Time to move on.

Some sims just don't "click" with folks. I really wanted to like LOMAC; but in truth never "got" what the allure was. Gave it a good try for about six or eight months and then uninstalled.

I wanted to like Flying Corps. Seemed natural, since I loved Red Baron and Red Baron 3D. It left me cold. Just didn't like it for some reason.

Of course I didn't spam the boards for LOMAC saying so (there wasn't really a big Internet thing for Flying Corps), as I figured that I didn't have that big a following or the sort of credibility to influence anyone's decision. Plus I didn't want to. If someone is enjoying the sim, why shouldn't they?

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3013000 - 05/17/10 05:32 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: ishbu]  
RedVonHammer Offline
RedVonHammer  Offline

Norway
Give him some slack guys, let`s try and find out a few background circumstances.

ElAurens, you say the sim feels kinnda lonely and just pixels, this brings me to ask if you have tried playing with friends?

Highly understandable, constantly playing RoF alone online, for most people, me included, is pretty boring. Make good friends with a couple of pilots, cover eachother, develop team tactics, everything changes, for the positive, because the lone wolf route takes so much longer.

Of course RoF is still a bit sterile in the sense of ground activity and other things going on, so be it because of game engine limitations as well as graphics/physics in need of CPU and GPU power that your computer cannot provide (It`s NeoQB`s first game, whatd u expect? How long do you think it took Oleg and his bunch to perfect IL-2? ) but there are remedies, remedies sir, who more than make up for these shortcomings smile

Heard about the Micro War mode testing going on at several servers? Moving fronts, lots of ground and air targets; Activity sir!

For single player, theres Patrick`s Campaign Generator (This one needs a bit of a computer, but you can adjust amount of objects and total aircraft), I have tried it for 8 missions now and I can honestly say sir, you will be IMPRESSED!

Done all I can here

#3013025 - 05/17/10 06:56 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: BuddyWoof]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted By: BuddyWoof
What's up with these "I'm leaving" and "I'm returning" posts in this forum? And, why would I care?

I Couldn't agree more

#3013031 - 05/17/10 07:31 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: Brigstock]  
RedVonHammer Offline
RedVonHammer  Offline

Norway
Originally Posted By: Brigstock

I Couldn't agree more

Hmm, I think the answer is something in the lines of: So the community (Thus, economical support) of the game wouldnt die and/or otherwise regress fataly and leave us with our beard in the post boxes?

I seem to remember you guys advocating so strongly for the current plane purchase business model for NeoQB and RoF`s success, how is NeoQB gna profit from that, and RoF expand, if you, somehow so inexplicably contrary to your own hardcore protection of this business model in so many earlier threads, suddenly start dismissing every frustrated new pilot as a dead born, and thus contributing to the possible demise of RoF? Me is disappointed! frown

#3013041 - 05/17/10 08:49 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: RedVonHammer]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
The time has come, the Walrus said,
To talk of many things
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax
Of cabbages and kings
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings

We're just getting started, bit premature to bail before we reach patrol height

you have tried playing with friends?

<muffled noises>

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#3013046 - 05/17/10 08:55 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: RedVonHammer]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
hardcore protection
Not me. I have always been of the opinion that I can live with it, that is all.
NeoqB chose a business model and I found I could live with it if it worked for them.

But if someone is unhappy with the product, what can we do as a community to convince them otherwise.

#3013048 - 05/17/10 09:35 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: Brigstock]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Originally Posted By: Brigstock

I Couldn't agree more

God you know, it does get old, but the team trudges on making more improvements and content.

Jason

#3013056 - 05/17/10 10:29 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
WilliVonBill Offline
WilliVonBill  Offline

North Carolina
you have tried playing with friends?

...and we have a winner.

~RB3D~First Eagles~OFF BH&H~RoF~
Its A Good Time To Be A WWI Sim Junkie!
#3013065 - 05/17/10 11:40 AM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: WilliVonBill]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Well, I feel just the opposite about RoF than the original poster. In my optics it has heaps of charisma, heaps of personality.

To each his own. Bye!

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3013080 - 05/17/10 12:14 PM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: Freycinet]  
J2_NigelMcElwee Offline
J2_NigelMcElwee  Offline

Kennesaw, GA
to the OP, I can understand your frustrations. I have to agree with another poster, you should join a squad and try playing with a few squadmates. Last night on the Syn server, myself and my squadmate were patrolling the front in formation attacking lone aircraft in pairs. The teamwork part of it was a lot of fun. It really adds to the immersion of the sim.

Asus sabertooth x79
I7 3930k @4.3
EVGA GTX TITAN SC
16 GB Corsair vengeance quad chanel 1866
Obsidian Series 800D ATX Gaming Case
Samsung 24.6" @1920x1080
#3013085 - 05/17/10 12:21 PM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: J2_NigelMcElwee]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Quote:
suddenly start dismissing every frustrated new pilot as a dead born

Except this isn't a frustrated new pilot. This is someone with a chip on his shoulder as far as this sim is concerned even before it was released.

When one does something one doesn't like over and over and over again for money, it's called a job.

When one isn't being paid, it's called something entirely different.

Fly it or don't fly it. Does anyone here care if I stopped flying RoF? Would it effect you in any way? Why would it?

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3013134 - 05/17/10 02:14 PM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: Dart]  
KnowBreaks Offline
KnowBreaks  Offline

Originally Posted By: Dart
Except this isn't a frustrated new pilot. This is someone with a chip on his shoulder as far as this sim is concerned even before it was released.

I don't know that how long someone has a complaint - or when they first mentioned a complaint - makes them wrong....does it? ElAurens has been here some time, yes...and his complaints are just as you say. So? I believe they're also largely valid complaints, and generally expressed within reason, if I recall.

Originally Posted By: Dart
Fly it or don't fly it. Does anyone here care if I stopped flying RoF? Would it effect you in any way? Why would it?

Well, it might affect others, yes. Some (many, I imagine) come to forums just like this to get the 'street' low-down on games (and many other products). And, while I can't speak for everyone else, I can tell you that I do a lot of studying, researching, reading reviews, etc...before I buy most anything of any real value. (Admittedly, games don't cost so much, but there's still a certain value).

I know exactly what some of those above mean. It seems that (once again) having something bad to say about RoF around here makes you an outcast; a troublemaker...a "troll". Even though many of the complaints might be perfectly valid.

And I also know, firsthand, what ElAurens means when he describes having his finger on the uninstall button. Only he gave this sim more of a chance than I was willing to. Both of us, however, describe (with notable and substantial regret, mind you well) having hoped RoF would be 'the next greatest thing'. In some ways, perhaps, it is great...but not enough to be a "greatest thing".

I'm afraid there have been others, and will be, yet to come.

System Specs:
Intel Core i7-930, OC @ 3.36G
Scythe Grand Kama Cross HS/F
Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 mainboard
2x Seagate 500G Barracuda (RAID0; C:)
6G OCZ Gold Edition DDR3/10666 Triple Channel
eVGA GTX570 1280M GDDR5 PCIe2.0x16
AMCC/3Ware 9650SE SATA 3G/s RAID controller:
4x OCZ 30G SATA 3G/s Vertex SSD (RAID0; D:)
Corsair TX-750 PSU, CoolerMaster CM-690 case; 4x 120mm fans
TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
Windows7 x64 Home Premium
#3013135 - 05/17/10 02:17 PM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: J2_NigelMcElwee]  
Dunkers Offline
Dunkers  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: J2_NigelMcElwee
to the OP, I can understand your frustrations. I have to agree with another poster, you should join a squad and try playing with a few squadmates. Last night on the Syn server, myself and my squadmate were patrolling the front in formation attacking lone aircraft in pairs. The teamwork part of it was a lot of fun. It really adds to the immersion of the sim.

ElAurens is with a squad - the BlitzPigs. Perhaps, like my squad, 242Sqn, it's been hard to persuade any of them to invest in RoF due to it's long gestation. I haven't fired up RoF since early this year; I had to get a new stick and haven't got around to creating a profile for it yet. IL-2 is still taking up all of mine - and 242's - time. RoF still has along way to go match Il-2, which itself took a long time to get 'mass' appeal. The number of folk who didn't get it until Pacific Fighters came out speaks for itself.
I'll get back to RoF in time, and maybe (without wishing to speak for him) ElAurens will too. As long as it keeps improving it will be worth keeping - but it doesn't make me want to fly it above all else just yet.

cheers

Once upon a time there was dunkelgrun...
#3013186 - 05/17/10 04:09 PM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: Dunkers]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Quote:
I know exactly what some of those above mean. It seems that (once again) having something bad to say about RoF around here makes you an outcast; a troublemaker...a "troll". Even though many of the complaints might be perfectly valid.

This is utter crap. Nobody is saying one can't criticize the sim. But it's a two way street. Just as I wouldn't expect anyone to suddenly change their mind about the sim based on what I think of it ("Oh, Dart likes it, I must like it too!"), the same applies to anyone else.

I don't go into the LOMAC forums and continuously complain about the sim and go on about how I'm about to uninstall it.

It's not a bridge, therefore I have no problem yelling "JUMP!" to someone threatening to leave the sim behind.

Some folks are the "be" form of not liking this sim: they haven't liked it, they don't like it, and they probably will never like it. Okay. We get it. Read that the first 50 times posted. It's not a news flash.

That is a far cry from saying that criticism of the sim makes one an outcast on these forums. Loads of stuff needs improvement, and while much is getting fixed it shouldn't have been missing in the first place, IMHO. However, getting melodramatic with a "Oh, the humanity! I just don't like the sim and am going to uninstall it!" is silly.

From Laser:
#3013211 - 05/17/10 04:48 PM Re: The Time Has Come. [Re: Dart]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
It's funny, really. If find I can't be bothered with IL-2 now I have RoF. IL-2's 3D models are very crude, its world looks like something that was acceptable 10 years ago but is mildly comical today. The flight models haven't exactly aged well, either. Maybe it's got better recently, but I installed one of the IL-2 "super mods" a few months back and it didn't really fix any of the key problems. Time to leave it as a good memory and move on. I just can't suspend belief enough to enjoy it now I have played RoF and done some real-life flying.

Of course, I don't keep up a self-pitying whine about it on the IL-2 forums...

Cheers,

RD.

Last edited by RocketDog; 05/17/10 04:49 PM.

Beyond gliding distance
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.