Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3006457 - 05/04/10 09:11 PM Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Dave got me started on the lighting system, the first results are not too bad. Instrument back-lighting is to come, we have the artwork ready. And I exaggerated the intensity of the nightlight to compensate for the ambient light. In retrospect this was not a good idea.

Lighting is controlled from a panel left, behind the power levers.

These are taken on a minimalist testing map that I use to for working on the helicopter systems.

Turning on post processing is pretty awful, way too much light, bit of tweaking to do.

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3006541 - 05/04/10 11:57 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Flexman]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Here's the panel back-lighting. Once the back-lighting is combined with the spot lights, we should have something very special.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#3006722 - 05/05/10 11:23 AM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: AD]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
I assume that you destroyed the vehicles of the FLIR somehow, so your weapons are already shooting? if yes which ones?
About the light on the cockpit, as you say there is a bit too much light, but the overall feel is pretty good.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3006776 - 05/05/10 01:50 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Stratos]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Stratos - regarding the FLIR, that is a temporary placeholder image taken from LB2 - used just for effect.

#3007087 - 05/05/10 11:16 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Flyboy]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
There, you can adjust it till your heart's content. There are 3 brightness knobs for instruments, dash and dome at each station as well as MPD and UFD levels. Made a nice diversion from the AGM systems.

#3007102 - 05/06/10 12:01 AM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Flexman]  
Bushmaster78FS Offline
Army Veteran, F-16 Enthusiast
Bushmaster78FS  Offline

Sun City, AZ
Our lights were bluish green... Rich, I was wondering, your level of detail is great in the sim, where do you find all the other reference, do you also have the -10?

PS. Arggh, being a crewmember, those curved edges of TEDAC & MPDs are killing meeee... smile

SEMPER VIPER
#3007256 - 05/06/10 09:38 AM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Bushmaster78FS]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Originally Posted By: Bushmaster78FS
Our lights were bluish green... Rich, I was wondering, your level of detail is great in the sim, where do you find all the other reference, do you also have the -10?

PS. Arggh, being a crewmember, those curved edges of TEDAC & MPDs are killing meeee... smile

Easy enough to tweak to color, I'm influenced by the movie "This Island Earth" where Cal the scientist is saved from certain death by his air-force jet turning into a refreshing mint flavoured green. I used your photos as a guide but when I was boosting the green component I hadn't done the same with red and blue.

Don't have a dash 10, don't want one, black vans and helicopters over my house if I did smile it's not allowed unless you're not a DoD contractor.

*edit*

I adjusted the blue intensity to match, results are much better. MPDs are easier to pick out.

Time to fix up those menus and the master arm/ground override.

#3007286 - 05/06/10 12:39 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Flexman]  
Bushmaster78FS Offline
Bushmaster78FS  Offline

Sun City, AZ
Those screenshots look really good, as real as it gets.

Even the F-16/F-18 stuff is for sale online.... I don't think black vans and helicopters are coming to your house. Unless you are doing this to train Taliban, LOL!

Last edited by Bushmaster78FS; 05/07/10 03:28 AM.

SEMPER VIPER
#3008531 - 05/08/10 08:48 AM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Bushmaster78FS]  
Wildshot Offline
Wildshot  Offline

-
Hi Flexman,

This all looks very good, realistic. Been following the progress for some time now, I'm really impressed. Also I've been checking out the leadwerks engine possibilities, and I must say that it seems that it's graphics engine is very powerful.

I've got some experience in modeling for computergames. I think it is one of the few modern engines that allow to do modeling/texturing in a different, more dynamic way than we've been used to. The shadowing/lighting of the engine is so powerful that one doesn't have to "paint" the lighting effects onto the textures, but instead, let the engine to it itself, in a dynamic way. Take the shiny pneumatic tubes on the right of the pilots cockpit for example: couldn't help mentioning that the shininess is painted on them as an effect, while you also could paint it a diffuse grey and assign a reflective and specular properties to it. Saves you some work, and the result is dynamic and better looking. This can be said for ALL the cockpit textures, where almost EVERY texture should have a bump map, specular map, and reflective map assigned to it.

I've been thinking about implementing this into your cockpit and I hope you don't mind if I make some suggestions:

- diffuse color map with only the base colors of the structure. That means no effects whatsoever (no scratches/smudges/shadows etc.)

- with carefully placed effects with bump maps, you can have every edge of every structure have a subtle smoothed effect on edges: hardly any edge is completely sharp.

- with reflection maps, you could add nice reflections to the glass of MFD's, instruments, but also canopy glass, and even shiny metal structures. You could add subtle scratches to the surface with the bump map (take a look at LOMAC's canopies for example).

- with specular maps you could add different amounts of shine to all the surfaces. Applied carefully this simulates dynamically lighted smudges.

When you combine these properties with the self shadowing of the engine and the screen spaced ambient occlusion, you've got a entirely dynamically painted virtual cockpit.

Just my 2 cents wink Keep up the excellent work.

#3008537 - 05/08/10 09:21 AM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Wildshot]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Quote:
When you combine these properties with the self shadowing of the engine and the screen spaced ambient occlusion, you've got a entirely dynamically painted virtual cockpit.

And about half a dozen frames per second, if you're lucky. smile

Our pit model is constructed of close to 40,000 polys with somewhere in the region of 450 separate objects. It's a heavy burden upon the engine. I understand the techniques you discussed would make the pit model look shiny, bumpy, reflective and whatnot, but it would be totally unfeasible to render it in that way. We also have to bare in mind that the graphical look we're going for is not ultra-modern, but retro and 90's.

Final point I'd like to make is that while using the techniques discussed, we would have something that looks more aesthetically pleasing, it would almost definitely look less realistic. Take a look at the LOMAC/DCS series for an example of how pits are 'done in the sim world'. Photo-textures galore.

Cheers

#3008545 - 05/08/10 09:53 AM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: AD]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Lookin' good, guys!

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#3008727 - 05/08/10 05:10 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Just a few more to show. I've walked around the aircraft in "Ground Crew" mode, this is activated by approaching the aircraft on foot, when close enough you see options to either mount or arm the helicopter.

Choosing to arming the helicopter places you into the crew mode. Here I've selected all the pylons and click loaded AGMs. They get applied to the helicopter entity's Stores so you'll be able to arm each other's choppers or your own before mounting up.

Before, we've talked about having cooldown timers to re-arm and refuel, adding elements that only serve to slowdown playing might not be a good idea.

Here I've tooled up with a heavy loadout, 8 LHFs and 8 RHFs. I will add a round hat to the Hellfire gfx.

And looking over the pilots right shoulder...

A quick flight in the test area to check nothing is visually broken, had to add some lights to the helipad object for night flying.

#3009388 - 05/10/10 01:17 AM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Flexman]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

It's a beautiful thing when a plan comes together.

FTX Global
#3009968 - 05/11/10 03:51 AM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Dervish]  
Bushmaster78FS Offline
Bushmaster78FS  Offline

Sun City, AZ
Night shots...

SEMPER VIPER
#3012564 - 05/16/10 07:38 AM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Bushmaster78FS]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Sorry to get a bit off-topic, but you wouldn't happen to have a photo/drawing of the search light (when extended) would you?

Cheers

#3013100 - 05/17/10 01:00 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: AD]  
Bushmaster78FS Offline
Bushmaster78FS  Offline

Sun City, AZ
I'll look AD, sorry for the late response, I upgraded the computer, so I was getting it back to shape.

SEMPER VIPER
#3013449 - 05/17/10 10:40 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Bushmaster78FS]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi Flexman and AD,

Have to say this is looking superb!! Well done so far, keep up the good work.

I'm currently building a pit based on the comanche in EECH. If I had spotted you sim before I started I would have been tempted to wait and use yours.

Is it possible (along with the other 64 million things you still have to do) to include some sort of data export for the pit builders out there ? Basically indicator lamps, MFDs, that sort of stuff.

Having waited around 10 years to find a chopper sim that exported data, I know that pit builders tend to be ignored by program developers. I contacted both Raworworks and Novalogic in the past to ask for this but didn't even get a reply.

Anyway, keep doing what you're doing ..... it's great!!

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#3013467 - 05/17/10 11:20 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: AndyB]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Andy, it's funny you should ask about data export. I just made a test DLL that I sent a simple structure to, just to see how it works for external flight model control. What we need to do is work out what data you are going to want and format. The aircraft State information as is might not be good for pits. You should start a thread on data export with the sort of things you need.

We don't have any plans to do a Commanche though.

#3016193 - 05/21/10 10:14 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Flexman]  
Bushmaster78FS Offline
Bushmaster78FS  Offline

Sun City, AZ
I better be able to do this...

SEMPER VIPER
#3016220 - 05/21/10 11:11 PM Re: Cockpit Night Lighting - Part 1 [Re: Bushmaster78FS]  
Focha Offline
Focha  Offline

Lisbon, Portugal
Cool photo! smile Really nice to spot the moon! :P I was wondering as I saw the virtual cockpit, where this machine have the circuit breakers?

Amazing light mapping of the virtual cockpit!

Regards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.