Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3006322 - 05/04/10 05:54 PM Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel  
MJMORROW Offline
NEWGUY
MJMORROW  Offline
NEWGUY

I am very weak on dealing with the DR1, when using my beloved Camel. Any Camel experts have tips on taking out that tri- wing devil?

Instead of complaining about SPAD 7s, Central pilots should capture and fly them too. I suggest putting an apple in the middle of your Aerodrome field and just wait. Eventually a SPAD 7 will come by to get the apple, cause SPADS can't resist apples. This is how the Entente gets a hold of SPAD 7s, m-kay?
-MJ Morrow
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3006346 - 05/04/10 06:18 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: MJMORROW]  
Cameljockey Offline
Cameljockey  Offline

Hampton, SC USA
Go the other direction.

NZXT Guardian 921 RB Case
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVDRW Drive
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Mainboard
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm Lucifer V2 CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Kingston 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal SSD
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI E 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
#3006358 - 05/04/10 06:28 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Cameljockey]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
Against AI or human opponent online?

Against AI, turn right so you have a minimum turn radius (keeping the DR1 in front of you always help). The AI is eventually going to do a "hang on its tail hammerhead." That's when you nail the sucker.

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#3006401 - 05/04/10 07:48 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: 2GvSAP_Mohawk]  
MJMORROW Offline
NEWGUY
MJMORROW  Offline
NEWGUY

Originally Posted By: 2GvSAP_Mohawk
Against AI or human opponent online?

Against AI, turn right so you have a minimum turn radius (keeping the DR1 in front of you always help). The AI is eventually going to do a "hang on its tail hammerhead." That's when you nail the sucker.

TY for the advice, but how about against human opponents? The Camel should out perform the DR 1 in something? lol I am not a wiz, but I am sure that there are Camel ninjas out there with Jet Lee wire fu moves I can use! lol

Last edited by MJMORROW; 05/04/10 07:48 PM.

Instead of complaining about SPAD 7s, Central pilots should capture and fly them too. I suggest putting an apple in the middle of your Aerodrome field and just wait. Eventually a SPAD 7 will come by to get the apple, cause SPADS can't resist apples. This is how the Entente gets a hold of SPAD 7s, m-kay?
-MJ Morrow
#3006450 - 05/04/10 08:59 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: MJMORROW]  
Squid_Von_Torgar Offline
Squid_Von_Torgar  Offline

Well im not a camel jocky, but from the DR1 pilots perspective, verticle loops can be awkward to deal with. The camel can and does outurn the DR1 if flown properly. Try to force the DR1 to stall, it takes ages to recover from and he will be a sitting duck whilst he does.

Ultimately though if your learning the camel you will struggle against a decent DR1 opponent. The DR1 IMHO is an easier plane to fly, but keep on practicing and your soon be the nemisis of all DR1s

Last edited by Squid_Von_Torgar; 05/04/10 09:00 PM.
#3006452 - 05/04/10 09:04 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Squid_Von_Torgar]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Bring two friends in their Camels with you.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3006478 - 05/04/10 09:59 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Dart]  
Squid_Von_Torgar Offline

Quote:
Bring two friends in their Camels with you.

Actually this isnt as much as a problem as you might think. The fast turning nature of the fight actually means that the camels tend to get in each others way.

#3006611 - 05/05/10 03:11 AM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Squid_Von_Torgar]  
MJMORROW Offline
NEWGUY
MJMORROW  Offline
NEWGUY

@Dart,
I can only take on a DR1 with other team members. I am just not skilled enough to go it alone.

@Squid,
The Camel can outturn the DR1? Do you mean using out of plane yo yo style moves or just pull to the right and swing around turn. I hope that sentence makes sense! lol

-MJ Morrow
#3006630 - 05/05/10 04:18 AM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: MJMORROW]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I dunno, Squid, I was making good money in a Nieuport 17 with the turny-turn types as part of a team. I'd stay high, the DR1 would climb up, hang in the stall, I'd pop at him, and he'd dive down to do some turning or attempt yet another loop.

The DR1 guys like to do loops as much as turns. And they love to make tight turns.

In short order they wind up losing too much energy to perform a loop and start in on hammerheads or Immelmans, just hanging in the air at the top.

If two or three guys don't conga line, the DR1 is in serious trouble. Heck, three on two and the DR1 is in trouble, owing to its low speed. Just keep trading one target for the other.

Basically, don't play the DR1's turning game. The Camel is plenty fast enough for drag-and-bag or slashing attacks.

Remember, it wasn't that the DR1 was a bad turner versus other scouts that got it taken off the front lines, it was its low relative speed.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3006676 - 05/05/10 07:08 AM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Dart]  
BOLT Offline
BOLT  Offline

If you are confident in your gunnery and cannot out manoeuvre the dr1 pilot and force him into making a mistake, use speed to separate(dive if you have some altitude you will pick up speed much faster than him), dr1 pilots get into the habit of turning fights and expect to do so when they engage, separating is easy most of the time. Then manoeuvre for head on, or slashing attacks and keep repeating; it's a bit of a crap shoot, but it removes any advantage the dr1 pilot has, and places you both on a level playing field.

To go off on a bit of a tangent I suspect language differences have led to the devs underestimating the performance of both the sopwith planes performance. All historical anecdotes suggest the planes were far more accomplished once pilots became used to their idiosyncrasies, than the sim would suggest. There is still a flying camel, but have had little success in tracking down contact information in the hopes of getting some insight or even a comparison between the sim and the real thing.

Last edited by BOLT; 05/05/10 07:25 AM.

Mankind's greatest strength, and greatest weakness, is hope.

Regards BOLT.
#3006721 - 05/05/10 11:22 AM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: BOLT]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
Quote:
Try to force the DR1 to stall, it takes ages to recover from.
..... in reality, the (full size) Dr.1 recovers very quickly.

Gateway FX7026 Quad core 2.5GHz, 7.1 Audio, 8 gig ram
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Bose Champion-5 sound system
Samsung 2493HM LCD 24" monitor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250 w/ 1 GB GDDR3.
Direct X10
In the process of building a full size J3 Piper Cub! .. the L-4 version.
#3006739 - 05/05/10 12:12 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: womenfly2]  
Squid_Von_Torgar Offline

Dart, dont get me wrong, being out numbered is never nice, but often ive been in a close dogfight and a "Friendly" has dove in and got inbetween me and my target forcing me to break off. Proper team work where your wingman stays high to cover you is very hard to defend against.

Womenfly2, its weird you can get the DR1 to stall and it whips around which if your quick enough can be caught with the rudder and can actually be quite a useful manauver. The slow one to recover from is in a nose high attitude. It seems that all controls lose authority and takes quite a while to regain.

How does that compare with the Full size DR1 (I assume you mean the replica and does its engine make a difference)?

#3006743 - 05/05/10 12:31 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Squid_Von_Torgar]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
SVT,

I have posted before on the Dr.1 FM's seem the Dr.1 in the sim does need some tweaking but I do not think the dev's will go back and do to much of that. I have stated this when I frist Beta test her.

The issue is there is so much dynamics going on in a real plane that no way can our computers simulate that, so its the best it can be for now, compromise.

In the Dr.1 I flew, she did have a Radial, but in talking with Fred Murrin and other Dr.1 pilots with rotaries in their planes, the stall is equal to a J-3 Cub flown correctly. One cannot imagine the high lift the 3 wings have at low airspeed, the sim does not do it justice.

" ... so how is it to ride a Harley? If I have to explain it to you, you still won't understand."

Gateway FX7026 Quad core 2.5GHz, 7.1 Audio, 8 gig ram
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Bose Champion-5 sound system
Samsung 2493HM LCD 24" monitor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250 w/ 1 GB GDDR3.
Direct X10
In the process of building a full size J3 Piper Cub! .. the L-4 version.
#3006749 - 05/05/10 12:40 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: womenfly2]  
Squid_Von_Torgar Offline

Fair enough WF2, i guess its always going to be a compromise. I was just interested if we were seeing the same thing, but its interesting that even the rotary DR1 have such tame stall characteristics. Perhaps some of the "DR1's too easy to fly" Mob would be interested.

Anyway, still waiting for camel jockeys to pipe up about their killer moves wink

#3006801 - 05/05/10 02:54 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Squid_Von_Torgar]  
Thunderbolt56 Offline
Thunderbolt56  Offline

Daytona Beach, FL
A left climbing turn (not to be mistaken with a spiral climb) with a quasi split S keeping some of that left aileron and left rudder can usually give you a quick, high-deflection opportunity, but even at it's best, the Dr.1 is a tough opponent in a Camel...as it should be.
A well-flown Camel is a Central powers party-wrecker too.

Online as TX-Thunderbolt
#3006917 - 05/05/10 06:48 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Thunderbolt56]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
Both the Camel and Dr I seem to have some odd properties in RoF. The spin recovery (or not) of RoF's Camel is obviously rather different from the real aircraft. In real life, both aircraft were judged to be uncomfortably slow and with poor performance at altitude. In RoF they both seem rather quick and they hold on to that speed rather higher up than one might imagine.

Cheers,

RD

Beyond gliding distance
#3006919 - 05/05/10 06:53 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: BOLT]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
My only kill on-line against a Tripe, was, strangely enough, in SPAD 13. Just kept seperating and coming back. At one point we came at each other, and he broke off to the right. I let 'im have it!
Got him right in the egine and he went down flaming.
"Nice shooting, Pooch!"
I was more surprised than he was.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3006948 - 05/05/10 07:17 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Pooch]  

CT, USA
Good stuff all around. I suck in this plane, like most planes, but want to learn how to fly well in this one and appreciate the info people are sharing. S!

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
#3006950 - 05/05/10 07:20 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: Pooch]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
"Dogfighting is a waste of time"

-Erich Hartmann Smile2

But yeah, in ROF world they are the norm. The Camel is superior in rolling scissors manoeuvres should you find yourself in that situation. Dart is right, the DR1's achilles heel is its low airspeed. At co-alt situations before merge use vertical plane manoeuvres, do not go for a level turn. A climbing combat turn works well. Get flight path separation, always important then you can pull a lead turn.

There are always so many variables and no one situation is the same. Hence no 'advice' will always be the best. Dogma has as its inherent weakness predictability. Fly like a nutter, they wont see it coming, and it seems to work OK for me. hahaha These discussions while interesting sometimes make me laugh. You get people on Ubi-Zoo writing 25 page dissertations on ACM and the importance of P-factor and inertia and sustained turn rate to the power of blah blah blah sleepy . You're thinking too much Padwan, its not really that complicated. Trust in your feelings Luke lightsabers

How much time do you get to think in a typical close in dogfight? Exactly. If he's better than you, you'll probably lose. If he has an alt jump on you and knows what he's doing, you are dead. This happens to me all the time. Smile2

But what do I know, I'm sh*te, lol. Feel free to disregard this entire post. biggrin

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3006991 - 05/05/10 08:22 PM Re: Tricks on dealing with a DR 1 using the Camel [Re: womenfly2]  
Hedgehog Offline
Hedgehog  Offline

New Orleans, LA & Sunrise, FL
Originally Posted By: womenfly2
One cannot imagine the high lift the 3 wings have at low airspeed, the sim does not do it justice.

Oh, I don't know... I think I have at least a small appreciation, owing to my complete inability to land the plane.

1. Look at windsock. Aim nose into the wind.

2. Descend, throttle all the way back.

3. Okay, that's not working. Blip engine. A lot.

4. Still not working. Kill engine.

5. Float helplessly across the entire length of the 'drome, about 4 feet above the ground.

6. No more areodrome left, get desparate, ease stick forward, crash.

Lift. A highly recommended quality for aircraft to have, within reason...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.