Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#3003475 - 04/29/10 10:58 PM Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required.  
BOBC Offline
BOBC  Offline

Hi,
I hope Oleg and team see this 'heads up', some excellent work indeed, in fact mind blowing. However the spitfire cockpit created is a later war MkV, with some Mk ll in places.

A Mk1 spitfire has the following in the cockpit:-
Volts and amps gauges one above the other to right of gunsight
Two Fuel gauges bottom right with two press to read buttons
One starter button not two
No red light bottom right
Two fuel cock levers.
Landing Lamp raise lower lever and control arm, sited on frame 8 to left of compass.
Switch to turn lamp on, sited below Nose UP/down gauge
Large MkIIIa time of trip clock face flush with panel surface and not the later smaller type that sticks out a lot as they have.
Single tier rudder pedals, very collectable and highly prized as they typify Mk1 BoB spits.
Elevator Trim wheel they have is the bakelite MK II onwards type, Mk1 had an aluminium dish with grit/rubber coated edge curled inwards (v tricky to make)
Subtle details would be a blanking plate to left of gunsight covering the hole for the flaps indicator gauge.

They also need to replace the all brass Hurricane gun button with the aluminium front half spitfire one, again a classic collectors piece. Also ditch the green lettering and details on the Turn Bank as that’s a post war or late war usage.

See the Mk1 Spit cockpit in BoB Wings of Victory for how it should be. Some of these are significant differences so I hope its not deemed to be rivet counting, they are how one tells the difference between Mk1 and later cockpits.

Just a little surprised with all the apparent research the team are doing that this has happened. Hope they see this and amend before release.

Could someone indicate this has got through to the team there please.
(Post 'heads up' suggested by Pilgrim_UK )

BOBC

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3003623 - 04/30/10 04:17 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: BOBC]  
No457_Squog Offline
Squadron Leader
No457_Squog  Offline
Squadron Leader

Melbourne, Australia
Interesting!

Is this scan more like a your description? I also notice that the undercarriage lever is drastically different, too.

Do you have a picture of the Mk. I trimwheel, by any chance?

No457_Squog
Squadron Leader

No. 457 Squadron vRAAF
#3003694 - 04/30/10 10:14 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: No457_Squog]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
It would be better if you posted that info directly on the official 1C site, as that's where Oleg frequents the most right now.

#3004364 - 05/01/10 04:50 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: LukeFF]  
Nodak01 Offline
Nodak01  Offline

coyote country
Bet people would be surprised to learn the first 500 plus reflector sight units for the RAF were manufactured under contract in occupied Vienna, on the same assembly line as many of the Revi's equipping their opponents machines. They were shipping right up to the eve of battle.

#3004526 - 05/01/10 03:41 PM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: Nodak01]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
The only reason that I can figure, for those inaccuracies is that they must have used a restored Mk1 as their model. It's hard to find some of the correct items when restoring an airplane, so their airplane may have had some MkV parts. Just guessing.
I'm sure they are doing some serious research, here, and want to get this right.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3005655 - 05/03/10 03:56 PM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: Pooch]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
Is it possible they might have modelled a later Spitfire as well as the Mk1 and Mk1a?

Just saying.

#3005797 - 05/03/10 07:48 PM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: Vitesse]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Not for the Battle Of Britain. Those were it. Mark 5 came out about a year later.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3005927 - 05/04/10 12:29 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: Pooch]  
2GvSAP_Flea Offline
2GvSAP_Flea  Offline

The screenshots we've seen to date seem to match the cockpits layouts in a Spitfire MkII Pilots Notes that I have. Would there be that much difference between a MkI and a MkII?

#3005971 - 05/04/10 02:02 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: 2GvSAP_Flea]  
BOBC Offline
BOBC  Offline

No457_Squog
Yes, your scan is one of a few of the Mk1 cockpit. The aircraft in that scan also features a ring and bead gunsight ! fitted into the mount that took the reflector sight, so top secret then that they removed it for the photo and made out it was ring and bead shoudl jerry get to see the pic ! It also still has the flaps gauge, visible in a shot further to port (see RAF in action book..wartime publication and can be picked up sometimes at aerojumbles or no doubt ebay, picture quality better than most nowadays !..printed in photogravure)
The pump action U/c was early Spit Mk 1 and saw use in some in the BoB.
Another view, this time as a movie, is in the rare shot of the Spitfire Mk1 being serviced at Brize Norton, Thorn EMI Spitfire video, then DD, then I seem to recall in the recent IWM DVD of unseen footage, get the boxed set, excellent stuff. The spitfire footage alone is worth it, a real gem !

LukeFF...I did try over at 1C, also tried PM'ing Oleg but his inbox is forever full.

Communication with him is sought but I have failed each time.

2GvSAP_Flea a Mk2 spitfire cockpit sees a smaller clock used, a pull ring device to do with the engine lower right of the inst panel now makes an appearance. As for other differences I seem to recall only one fuel gauge but I need to check my archives and they have walked from the normal location...damn ! I also think the two tier pedal may have appeared. No blanking plate for the flaps gauge to left of gunsight was a difference as there now was no hole to blank off.

I also see Oleg has a bakelite seat, the Mk1 had an aluminium seat painted same colour as rest of walls etc, Interior Grey Green, with a flare rack along the front.

Photo of the trim wheel, thats a tricky one, I have one of a recreated trim wheel now sitting in the Spit Mk1 at Cosford, but finding it..ugh !
Imagine an aluminium sheet with the edge curled through a semi circle inwards then that edge coated in a rough corky brown substance, centre rivetted onto a casting, thats what it looks like.

See Battle of Britain Wings of Victory Spit 1 for the correct look, not sure though if they have the correct trim wheel. Need to dust my copy off and fly it !

BOBC

#3007229 - 05/06/10 07:21 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: BOBC]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
BOBII Spit Ia cockpit shots

[Linked Image]
#3013054 - 05/17/10 10:18 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: BOBC]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

Originally Posted By: BOBC

Photo of the trim wheel, thats a tricky one, I have one of a recreated trim wheel now sitting in the Spit Mk1 at Cosford, but finding it..ugh !
Imagine an aluminium sheet with the edge curled through a semi circle inwards then that edge coated in a rough corky brown substance, centre rivetted onto a casting, thats what it looks like.

See Battle of Britain Wings of Victory Spit 1 for the correct look, not sure though if they have the correct trim wheel. Need to dust my copy off and fly it !

BOBC

Like this one ?

Michael

#3013098 - 05/17/10 12:58 PM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: DocW]  
No457_Squog Offline
Squadron Leader
No457_Squog  Offline
Squadron Leader

Melbourne, Australia
Hey DocW/Michael,

I don't think that trimwheel is from a Mk. I Spitfire specifically, it seems to be the one that is predominantly found in the Mk. V cockpits. Even though it is seen in the BoB2:WoV and SoW:BoB screenshots.

The closest I can find to the trimwheel BOBC is talking about is in this pic.

No457_Squog
Squadron Leader

No. 457 Squadron vRAAF
#3013103 - 05/17/10 01:11 PM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: No457_Squog]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

Originally Posted By: No457_Squog
Hey DocW/Michael,

I don't think that trimwheel is from a Mk. I Spitfire specifically, it seems to be the one that is predominantly found in the Mk. V cockpits. Even though it is seen in the BoB2:WoV and SoW:BoB screenshots.

The closest I can find to the trimwheel BOBC is talking about is in this pic.

Pretty impressive the amount of detailed knowledge you guys come up with. That amazes me. The part listed in your scan looks certainly different and may well fit BOBC's description.

Michael

#3013493 - 05/18/10 12:08 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: DocW]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
BOBC, bless your heart for knowing this stuff!

It's guys like you that do the heavy lifting for the rest of us, and we appreciate it.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3016217 - 05/21/10 10:59 PM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: Dart]  
BOBC Offline
BOBC  Offline

No457_Squog
Yes thats the one. If someone wants to get RAF Cosford to open their Spit Mk1 canopy and get a shot from the stbd side looking in, you will see it.
Wish I had access to my files just now, I might have a photo of it. Time disallows. They rarely survive intact from digs, being aluminium, that photo of the all black one is the later style. It is one thing that BoB WoV need to correct.

Dart

<<BOBC, bless your heart for knowing this stuff!

It's guys like you that do the heavy lifting for the rest of us, and we appreciate it.>>

(cant find a quote thingy so doing << >>)
Thanks v much, appreciated and heartwarming cheers

#3181241 - 01/17/11 03:09 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: BOBC]  
BOBC Offline
BOBC  Offline

Does anyone know how to get a heads up to Oleg on the fact that the latest screen shots OF BoB SoW still show a later mark of spitfire in his flight sim than the BoB period should be ?
He is going to have egg on face at this rate. It will cast suspicion over the rest of the sims accuracy. He doesnt seem to ever look in on observations in forums and his inbox is full. His scouts dont seem to feed him info either.

Yes the wavy edged trimwheel in the IIa notes is the type, it has a rubber edging with about 16 corrugations for want of a better word around it.

BOBC

#3181358 - 01/17/11 11:12 AM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: BOBC]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Does anyone know how to get a heads up to Oleg on the fact that the latest screen shots OF BoB SoW still show a later mark of spitfire in his flight sim than the BoB period should be ?

Its been said hundreds of times that the aircraft marking on the screenshots are only for example purposses that they can be diferent. They were not mean to be storically acurate.

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#3181528 - 01/17/11 04:01 PM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: Lancelot]  
MattM Offline
MattM  Offline

He is not talking about the markings...

Funny thing is, that on one of the latest screens, the Spitfires are MkIIa. Which is also pretty weird, when we're talking about BoB here.

Anyway, i agree that the Spitfire cockpit should be fixed, either before release or afterwards. Having a MkV cockpit for a MkI (or II) doesn not make much sense and is just too inaccurate for a state-of-the-art flightsim.

#3181802 - 01/17/11 08:26 PM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: BOBC]  
SC/JG_Oesau Offline
SC/JG_Oesau  Offline

Sydney, Australia
He is going to have egg on face at this rate. It will cast suspicion over the rest of the sims accuracy. He doesnt seem to ever look in on observations in forums and his inbox is full. His scouts dont seem to feed him info either.

Yes the wavy edged trimwheel in the IIa notes is the type, it has a rubber edging with about 16 corrugations for want of a better word around it.

BOBC

Try and get hold of luthier (Ilya) instead.

CPU - i7-3770K @3.50Ghz, RAM - 32Gb (800Mhz), Video Card - GTX980Ti
TrackIR-4, Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Satiek Quadrant, Saitek Switch Panel, Logitech G510 Keyboard, Win 7 Home Prem 64bit
#3181817 - 01/17/11 08:34 PM Re: Spitfire modelled is currently a MkV not Mk1 as required. [Re: MattM]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

Originally Posted By: MattM

Funny thing is, that on one of the latest screens, the Spitfires are MkIIa. Which is also pretty weird, when we're talking about BoB here.

not realy, the Mk.IIa came well in service before 31.october 1940.
and the Igomir Moskau show videos showed that the Mk.IIa will be a flyable Spitfire version of CoD.

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.