Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2996024 - 04/16/10 03:21 PM Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Usual work in progress caveats. But you might like to see what it's like to fly over ADs lovely compounds and villages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvqRM0lT04

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#2996196 - 04/16/10 06:36 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Flexman]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
God that was beautiful! I've already told the wife I'll be spending money on yet another flightsim...her response..."As long as I know where you are dear." clapping thumbsup

#2996214 - 04/16/10 06:56 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Flexman]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
Superb! thumbsup

#2996223 - 04/16/10 07:01 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: HawkI]  
Rich_Price Offline
Rich_Price  Offline

Stunning!

#2996381 - 04/16/10 11:18 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Rich_Price]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Awesome!!

#2996403 - 04/17/10 12:07 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: ricnunes]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
Very nice.

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#2996436 - 04/17/10 01:04 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Clydewinder]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

My wife said "How many joysticks have you bought since we got married?"

I said "What do you want to last longer, the joystick or the marriage?".

FTX Global
#2996587 - 04/17/10 09:06 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Flexman]  
Ivonq Offline
Ivonq  Offline

Looks okay for an early flight, few things which I noticed that bugged me:

- extreme pop up/lod switching of trees at an extremely short range

- the blade speed (I guess it is because you're demoing?) is awfully slow and irritating as hell. Please make sure to put an option in there which makes it optional to show the blades. Bit the way as it is shown in the video is really disturbing.

Last edited by Ivonq; 04/17/10 09:07 AM.
#2996594 - 04/17/10 09:22 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Ivonq]  
Rich_Price Offline
Rich_Price  Offline

As you said its a early flight and as the video said its a work in progress! Im sure it will look different the more the guys do on it! Its just a little teaser!

Keep up the great work guys!!

Rich

#2996596 - 04/17/10 09:27 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Ivonq]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Ivonq
Looks okay for an early flight, few things which I noticed that bugged me:

- extreme pop up/lod switching of trees at an extremely short range

The vegetation system in the engine we're using has recently been re-written. Once the update is available to us, vegetation draw distances will be adjusted. We also plan on allowing users to set aspects like draw distance to their own preferences.

Quote:
- the blade speed (I guess it is because you're demoing?) is awfully slow and irritating as hell. Please make sure to put an option in there which makes it optional to show the blades. Bit the way as it is shown in the video is really disturbing.

We haven't added rotor blur or high RPM rotor blade models yet so what you're seeing is the static/low RPM rotor blades spinning at high RPM. Fraps worsens the effect considerably.

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 04/17/10 10:03 AM.

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2996907 - 04/17/10 09:42 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: AD]  
Demo Offline
Demo  Offline

Very cool. Well done.

#2997327 - 04/18/10 08:13 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Demo]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
It's really awesome looking.

I know that this is very much a WIP, but I would like to point out some things that struck me about the villiages. My apologies if this will be handled in the future. I guess I'm just pointing this out in case it doesn't dawn on anyone in the future. I noticed the lack of "things" in the courtyards and stuff. Often the dwellings feature a lot of stuff lying around outside. A big thing that is missing to me, mopeds and other bikes - especially in more "urban" areas. Just leaning against buildings and such. Carts and stuff as well. In village compounds there are usually lots of small items lying around the periphery. Pans, crates, piles of rocks, wheels - things like that.

I hope this is taken as constructive and not critical because I am simply blown away by the work you've done.

Last edited by Corsair8X; 04/18/10 08:17 PM.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#2997521 - 04/19/10 07:14 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Corsair8X]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Looking good! I like the vibration effect of the cockpit.

#2997533 - 04/19/10 08:40 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: EagleEye[GER]]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: EagleEye[GER
]Looking good! I like the vibration effect of the cockpit.

I wish we could say the same. copter

#2997679 - 04/19/10 03:33 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: AD]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
I may have misinterpret what I see in that vid, though. Is it a graphic glitch? I thought it`s cockpit shaking in specific conditions... duh

#2997688 - 04/19/10 03:42 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: EagleEye[GER]]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
It shakes for the same reason it does in LB2 smile (floaty point jiggies) I'll have it sorted.

#2997921 - 04/19/10 10:20 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Flexman]  
Executioner Offline
Executioner  Offline

Oh I had great fun in VS 2008 (dev environment running in Win7 x64 - x32 target) with floating point shenanigans - turned out to be a compiler problem at the MS end. I had EECH helo's flying backwards, sideways and with a strange jiggle until I pinned that down! smile

Hopefully yours is something else, but just in case...

Martin...

#2997966 - 04/19/10 11:30 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Executioner]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
That's interesting. But it's not that. I took time out a few weeks ago to nail it down. I know what it is and how to fix it, it's just a lengthy fix and there's a bunch of things on my list that are urgent and depend on me not breaking anything. So it has to wait, but I have to go back and re-work the pit rendering anyway to prevent environmental effects from intruding into the cockpit space.

Cool vibration effect though, "more animation" smile

You got me wondering about VS2008 though. Was it just because you were compiling on that platform?

#2998060 - 04/20/10 03:32 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Flexman]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Oohh... a new helosim to complain about wink

Needs:
weapons dispersion (especially for rockets)
support for door gunners & insertions
support for SACLOS missiles
support for weapons jams

biggrin

#2998291 - 04/20/10 03:55 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Flexman]  
Executioner Offline
Executioner  Offline

Originally Posted By: Flexman

You got me wondering about VS2008 though. Was it just because you were compiling on that platform?

It is definitely specific to a small portion of the FPU control registers - the Precision Control bits to be exact - and VS 2008 under Win7 x64 (yes indeed - it was fun to find, as all strange compiler limitations are!)

You're fine if you write to the register directly, using some inline FPU assembly, but if you try and use the _controlfp/_control87 calls to do so then the compiler filters out those bits.

The history of it appears to be that these register bits were likely to be shielded in x64 modes, but that was changed just before the processor/x64mode specs were finalised and the compilers have never caught up (it might even be the case in Intel's compiler too, but I'm too busy to find out wink)

Martin...

#2998419 - 04/20/10 06:27 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Executioner]  
SimFan Offline
SimFan  Offline

Europe
This flythru give me the LB2 creeps again (a very good feeling).
Nice work guys !
It's so nice to see Flexman still being 'at it' (as always, like in his EEAH/EECH days).
incredible.
I'm eager to fly this so much too (next to my beloved EECH (modded) install I've been having for 10 years).

Last edited by SimFan; 04/20/10 06:28 PM.
#2998445 - 04/20/10 07:13 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: AD]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
This is just awesome. A lot of years ago when things were actually a bit civil, I visited western Pakistan (bordering Afghanistan & Iran..the areas shares the same look & topography)and I can totally vouch that the terrain in Longbow Helo looks totally realistic.

Well done guys and looking forward to the release.

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#2998823 - 04/21/10 12:33 PM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Corsair8X]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Corsair8X
It's really awesome looking.

I know that this is very much a WIP, but I would like to point out some things that struck me about the villiages. My apologies if this will be handled in the future. I guess I'm just pointing this out in case it doesn't dawn on anyone in the future. I noticed the lack of "things" in the courtyards and stuff. Often the dwellings feature a lot of stuff lying around outside.

The compounds we've seen pictures and documentary footage of certainly don't appear cluttered. Yards look dusty and barren, most of the cooking utensils are stowed in holes carved into the compound/building walls. Valuable goods such as motorbikes (which are worth upwards of a years wages) are normally locked in-doors to prevent thievery. The terrain development thread has some good photos of compounds.

Quote:
A big thing that is missing to me, mopeds and other bikes - especially in more "urban" areas. Just leaning against buildings and such. Carts and stuff as well. In village compounds there are usually lots of small items lying around the periphery. Pans, crates, piles of rocks, wheels - things like that.

Pans, crates, wheels,and carts = Objects, polys, additional load time, and less time/resources we can spend on other more important tasks. Their small size also means they occupy a tiny amount of screenspace, this results in a poor ROI. Unfortunately, frequently recurring objects like rocks, rubble and trash piles need to occupy a slot in the vegetation system, which at this point is a highly contested list.

Cars (pickup trucks) we've already built, but they'll be distributed via the campaign engine not statically placed. I do have plans to make motorbikes, they're a cornerstone of Iranian military hit and run doctrine, but they're low priority right now.

Quote:
I hope this is taken as constructive and not critical because I am simply blown away by the work you've done.

It's certainly taken constructively. I wish we could do everything we want, but unfortunately we have to work within our means, and that means making sacrifices.

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 04/21/10 12:53 PM.

#2999349 - 04/22/10 07:56 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Executioner]  
FokkerDVIII Offline
FokkerDVIII  Offline

OMG Jane's has been resurrected.I can't wait to get this.I have missed LB/LB2 since Jane's passed away.I recognize the cockpit voices in this from LB2 too.Not many heli sim's have come close except EECH but the good thing about LB2 it also included the non-gunships to fly(OH-58/UH-60).

Last edited by akwar; 04/22/10 07:58 AM.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHZ,MSI K9A2 CF V2 MB,6GB Corsair DDR2 Ram,EVGA Geforce GTX560 1GB,500GB Seagate drive,200GB WD drive.
#2999357 - 04/22/10 08:10 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: AD]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Originally Posted By: AD
Pans, crates, wheels,and carts = Objects, polys, additional load time, and less time/resources we can spend on other more important tasks. Their small size also means they occupy a tiny amount of screenspace, this results in a poor ROI. Unfortunately, frequently recurring objects like rocks, rubble and trash piles need to occupy a slot in the vegetation system, which at this point is a highly contested list.

Hi,

I see your point, but can you achieve the same feeling just with some kind of "dusty yard texture"?
As you mentioned, these are small objects, painting them on a flat texture wouldn't heart too much, if you are not walking on them (which usually you wont in a heli sim).
However, I do not think that the villages are steril, or artifical, so from my point of view, this shouldn't be your n1 prio.
Really nice job so far, looking forward to fly!

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#2999363 - 04/22/10 08:46 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Staniol]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Staniol

Hi,

I see your point, but can you achieve the same feeling just with some kind of "dusty yard texture"?
As you mentioned, these are small objects, painting them on a flat texture wouldn't heart too much, if you are not walking on them (which usually you wont in a heli sim).
However, I do not think that the villages are steril, or artifical, so from my point of view, this shouldn't be your n1 prio.
Really nice job so far, looking forward to fly!

This was something I considered. It would be a zero-overhead solution to the issue. Unfortunately the terrain engine can only blend 5 different terrain texture layers and those layer slots are all occupied. So for the moment it's impossible.

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 04/22/10 09:07 AM.

#2999365 - 04/22/10 09:02 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: FokkerDVIII]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Originally Posted By: akwar
OMG Jane's has been resurrected.I can't wait to get this.I have missed LB/LB2 since Jane's passed away.I recognize the cockpit voices in this from LB2 too.Not many heli sim's have come close except EECH but the good thing about LB2 it also included the non-gunships to fly(OH-58/UH-60).

The Betty voice you hear is a nice lady from Texas, recorded for Combat-Helo by a retired sound-engineer. Many of the Betty phrases are the same, "left engine..." becomes "engine one..." etc.

#3001753 - 04/27/10 12:10 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: AD]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Totally understand your points. Thank you for your answers.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#3016368 - 05/22/10 05:06 AM Re: Combat Helo - Afghanistan villages and flythrough video [Re: Corsair8X]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Corsair8X

Totally understand your points. Thank you for your answers.

The good news is that the latest development tool allows for a greater number of 'vegetation layers' which means it should be possible to add in more variation at little cost to load or render times.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.