Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2982322 - 03/24/10 06:12 PM AI  
hawkeye_de Offline
hawkeye_de  Offline

First of all, I have to say that I am very impressed what I've seen here - especially if you're considering how 'small' this team actually is.

Have the deveopers already an idea about the AI? Will it be fully dynamic (would be cool) or is it more scripted...perhaps even the AI could be somehow changed by the user (mission editor or via scripting) smile

Thanks.

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#2991152 - 04/08/10 12:21 AM Re: AI [Re: hawkeye_de]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
I presume you're talking about the campaign engine AI? I think it'll be fairly simple deterministic AI that will choose it's advance vector based upon some simple factors. It will consider it's intelligence for the next node and decided whether it has the forces to attack or whether it will wait for reinforcements.

So essentially it will be a dynamic campaign with an 'AI' that makes decisions based upon factors.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2991326 - 04/08/10 11:28 AM Re: AI [Re: AD]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
I'm 5 foot 10 inches. I'm not small.

I'm borrowing some AI from a wargame I wrote in the 80s, it's as good today as it was back then. Don't want to talk about how it works in detail, some things are better left to wonder at. If Google told you how pages were ranked it would ruin the service. Suffice to say it should (in theory) not always make the obvious move. If you smack it at the same point it should take the hint and given enough resources apply pressure elsewhere.

I'll be testing it as a stand-alone program before it goes into the game. Easier to speed test the mechanics and not cause problems to/or get sidetracked by other issues in the game.

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
#2998993 - 04/21/10 05:26 PM Re: AI [Re: Flexman]  
hawkeye_de Offline
hawkeye_de  Offline

Originally Posted By: Flexman
I'm 5 foot 10 inches. I'm not small.

Ok, I herby confirm that your team is not small WinkNGrin

Actually I was not referring to the campaign AI (although it is nice that you give some input here).

I was thinking of the tactic AI: For example: Will it be capable to do shoot&hide manoevers (eg. insurgents at the rooftop with a SA-7)...will tanks try to conduct defensive manoevers like creating smog, split their formation and that stuff?

[/quote]

#2999138 - 04/21/10 09:35 PM Re: AI [Re: hawkeye_de]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Some tanks will pop smoke, US tanks will attempt to pop smoke but instead shower themselves with beer smile

Some units will have an evasion function, so long as it's not silly and works in co-op. Can't say more than that till we have it working. If we have processing power to have behaviors for autonomous characters interacting with compounds and other structures then maybe. But we're an Apache Combat Sim first and foremost.

My personal take based on a case study of a AAA game:

What's likely to happen, if we spend an additional month or two developing AI behaviours for different kinds of formations, a player is probably going to smack them all down in seconds with a full Hellfire loadout before the AI has had a chance to twitch thus rendering the exercise and additional development time pointless.

For example, Halo(2 I think it was) had great AI, but hardly anyone ever got to see it and consider the AI was terrible. The reason was simply that players are overpowered and often killed the AI before they are able to exhibit any of that cool flanking and communication behaviour.

So doing things like popping smoke, formation changes and calling for help, even ducking and rolling are things that are easy to do. Running around looking for hiding spots requires dedicated pathfinding for different unit types.

Some units will get special treatment but it all eats time. Just have to see what works. It's a good question though and I'll certainly worry about it. smile

#3000560 - 04/24/10 10:34 AM Re: AI [Re: Flexman]  
Heinzi Offline
Heinzi  Offline

Cologne
Thats sounds good Flexman.
Another simple idea would be to let activate some kind of retreat waypoint when the unit strength is low.
I think even some evasive movements like you describe would make the game much more interesting compared to EECH (just sitting around a road doing nothing) especially when you fly low.

#3000571 - 04/24/10 11:15 AM Re: AI [Re: Heinzi]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Originally Posted By: Heinzi
Another simple idea would be to let activate some kind of retreat waypoint when the unit strength is low.

Idea noted. That could work too. Cheers.

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.