Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2974463 - 03/11/10 11:49 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Daveyraveygravey]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
@Davy

Don't have to worry about trees except the quality of assets and how best to present them. The engine handles a quarter of million on my machine and still runs at a lick.

Ed Macy was over there doing what others continue doing today, I hope we can capture some of the flavour.

After considering the wider audience I made the same concession Gerry Anderson made for Thunderbirds. American voice talents and the potential flashpoint scenario don't really fit a focus on UK deployment. I'd love to do it, I'd love to do a lot of things but I'm not allowed to smile

You'll just have to wait and see.
"When the painting is finished, the subject reaveals itself." - William Baziotes
(That's a way of saying, what we paint and what we see are different things)

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#2974494 - 03/11/10 01:32 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
PedroTheGoat Offline
PedroTheGoat  Offline

Alright Flexman, I broke down and ordered a spanking new gaming rig just for your game. (Feel the pressure) wink

I'm 99% certain this should run your game fairly well.

AMD Phenom™II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology (Running at 3.4ghz a piece)

ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB DDR5 16X PCIe Video Card. (This isn't THE most expensive GPU, but as of right now I believe it's the low end of the really high end ATI cards) I believe it can run at about 1100mhz.

4gigs of DDR3 RAM running at 1600.

I hope this sounds adequate.

#2974519 - 03/11/10 02:24 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: PedroTheGoat]  
Ivonq Offline
Ivonq  Offline

Hey Flex, good to see you get it up and running, some pointers if I may?

- please make the destructional effects as realistic as possible, meaning diverse as in real life, not like some other sims (e.g. Arma 2) where the animation is always the same. It is an important aspect which is often overlooked. This applies to vehicles, but also infantry units. (we all have seen the footage of the 30 MM canon and their destructive power on infantry units - please allow for decapitations to keep it realistic). This also applies to the ground surface. Smoke effects and ground debree (don't know if that is spelled right).

- as to AI of the enemy, please make their "infantry" behaviour like in real life, meaning, hit and run - ambush style.

- please consider a black and white MFD (even though the original is green) for those who are color blind (make it optional)

Make it rumble...anticpating your progress!

Last edited by Ivonq; 03/11/10 02:26 PM.
#2975022 - 03/12/10 11:36 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Ivonq]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
I would say you ask for to much in the initial release, Ivonq. Let them do the main/basic things. Then the more cool stuff later, if possible. I can imagine, that the engine and it`s support for programming and scipting languages have great potential.

Nice update on the dev blog. Can`t wait to push all these buttons and to turn the knobs. yep

#2975048 - 03/12/10 01:49 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: EagleEye[GER]]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
You like zee pits? I zink zay are zantastic considering the budget we're working on.

You can ask for features all you like but unless it's already on the list as far as we're concerned it's just "gravy". I'm under orders not to add gravy. Feature creep is not part of the equation. It has to be this way to maintain control. As you can see already it produces rapid results.

If it takes too long I'm going to eventually run out of funds and Dave will probably drop dead in a pool of stale larger only to be eaten by his starving cat. Gravy will be poured on later (now I can't stop thinking about the cat), new stuff and updates will trickle down via the MMO style auto-updater.

#2975133 - 03/12/10 04:13 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

That pit is beautifully done.

FTX Global
#2975152 - 03/12/10 04:55 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Dervish]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Scylla
That pit is beautifully done.

Thanks. It's been a long road but it's getting there.

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 03/12/10 06:01 PM.

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2975184 - 03/12/10 05:42 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: AD]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Ivonq - believe me, I've got the detail covered! wink

I think I nearly gave Flex a nervous breakdown when I presented him with the list of what to include AFTER including all the complexity of Longbow 2. (sorry Flex!) Please note that it will still be a long while before the standard of LB2 is even met though.

#2975462 - 03/13/10 01:35 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flyboy]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Wow, count me in as another old hand who remembers the initial project announcement back in the Dark Ages (after LB2's release in the Stone Age) that's excited about this!

A "spiritual successor" to LB1 and 2 is what I've been wanting. EECH/AH and DCS:BS are great sims, but they're in a different mold. For all the shortcomings it had, I still liked the LB series the most of every helo sim I've had including DI's Apache/Hind, Gunship/2k, and the other 2 I mentioned.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#2975476 - 03/13/10 02:06 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Jedi Master]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Love how you are essentially putting in the Arrowhead setup in the CP/G cockpit. That is a very welcomed edition. Following the blog 'cause I have it on Google Reader smile

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#2976190 - 03/14/10 12:25 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: Flexman
@empeck It's a team effort and I'm really happy with everyone's efforts. The map is the north west region of Afghanistan around the city of Herat ( Wiki link )

The nature of the way we've designed and built LCH is that we can add any number of new maps (each being 40x40km).

Not decided on the nature of editing just yet. What I wanted and what we can deliver in an acceptable time-frame are not compatible. We have plans beyond this title. Players will be able to edit missions, the real-time factional nature of the campaign is such that your assignments will greatly shape the progression.

And I love Tachikomas too smile

@HawkI

On foot is how you start and navigate your base options. If crews have to perform an emergency landing they may exit their aircraft and await rescue. We will ensure all pilots are equipped with flares and standard issue automatics.

These situations allow us to leverage the fly/walk capability and the impressive lighting system offered by the differed rendering 3D engine. We intend to play to our strengths.

Thanks for the reply. it's all looking very promising.

#2976352 - 03/14/10 06:49 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

I'm sorry if this was asked before but I don't recall reading anything... is the cockpit going to be clickable?

Corsair8X

#2976368 - 03/14/10 07:12 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Corsair8X]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Corsair8X
I'm sorry if this was asked before but I don't recall reading anything... is the cockpit going to be clickable?

Currently a clickable pit is the plan. However, not everything will be clickable. We haven't finalized a list of what will and won't be supported but it should provide for a decent pit experience.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2976387 - 03/14/10 07:36 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: AD]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Totally understand, thanks for the answer.

Corsair8X

#2976484 - 03/14/10 10:36 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Jedi Master]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Wow, count me in as another old hand who remembers the initial project announcement back in the Dark Ages (after LB2's release in the Stone Age) that's excited about this!

A "spiritual successor" to LB1 and 2 is what I've been wanting. EECH/AH and DCS:BS are great sims, but they're in a different mold. For all the shortcomings it had, I still liked the LB series the most of every helo sim I've had including DI's Apache/Hind, Gunship/2k, and the other 2 I mentioned.

The Jedi Master

Holy bejeesus! Hi Jedi, haven't seen you around for a long long while. Glad you are still with us. You have some catching up to do with Panzer's posts! smile

#2976503 - 03/14/10 10:57 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flyboy]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Can't beleive I've only just spotted this forum eek

Great news, very happy to see you back and involved Flexman, was pretty gutted when things went quiet with your last project.

Bring it on biggrin

#2977069 - 03/15/10 09:33 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: ]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It's been a few years since the USAF proxy server blocked SimHQ at work, so my visits are those rare times I can access from home. I'm usually far too busy and don't post when I do stop by, and catching up to Panzer's posts is like being the company that makes an OS that beats Windows in the marketplace. :grin:

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#2977316 - 03/16/10 09:03 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: AD]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: AD

Currently a clickable pit is the plan. However, not everything will be clickable. We haven't finalized a list of what will and won't be supported but it should provide for a decent pit experience.
Cheers

With the Black Shark experience I have to say, that a clickable CP is extremly helpful and should be standard in simulations. Every time I come back to BS after a long pause, I simply can remember the start up sequence and all other switches only by looking at the cockpit. Even SoW:Bob will have this optional. Smile2 The MFDs (or what they called) in the Apache scream for being clickable.

#2977337 - 03/16/10 10:22 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: EagleEye[GER]]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Originally Posted By: EagleEye[GER
With the Black Shark experience I have to say, that a clickable CP is extremly helpful and should be standard in simulations. Every time I come back to BS after a long pause, I simply can remember the start up sequence and all other switches only by looking at the cockpit. Even SoW:Bob will have this optional. Smile2 The MFDs (or what they called) in the Apache scream for being clickable.

Doing it right now. I have the same problems as I'm sure David does too, the inability or desire to remember a hundred keystrokes. Key commands are partly there to help interface with controllers or other devices or get things working before you have a working pit. They are not intuitive.

As a bonus, the input mapper allows for commands to come from the network as well as a local device (mouse, keyboard, joy port) which might make for some interesting possibilities in the future. That's a gravy feature, not saying that will go in for release, it's something we can do later.

There will be a quick start.

#2977346 - 03/16/10 10:58 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: Flexman

As a bonus, the input mapper allows for commands to come from the network as well as a local device (mouse, keyboard, joy port) which might make for some interesting possibilities in the future.

Great! Ah yes, I can imagine the possibilities...

Does you and the other team members thought about donations? I mean it is a very ambitious project, you are updating regulary with screens, I trust in you and I spend some money on Fighter Ops. So why not on Combat-Helo to. Smile2
Or if I can be helpful in other ways?

Last edited by EagleEye[GER]; 03/16/10 11:01 AM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.