Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2974696 - 03/11/10 07:39 PM Finaly I have had a kill.  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
I was recently playing with the new quick mission builder and did a 4 Vs. 4 between Spad XIII's and Albatross DIII's. With the latest update it feels like I can finally maneuver to achieve decent firing positions. I think my gunnery is still horrific but I actually for the first time confirmed with my own eyes that I had killed an enemy aircraft when one of the Albatross DIII's caught fire and plummeted into the ground seconds after I fired a bust at it.

I have been playing ROF on and off for the past couple months but would get frustrated over and over again as it seemed like it was imposable to get anyone in front of me for more that a split second. Not long enough to fire an effective burst. Since the update with the QMB feels like I can finally make some headway in learning to enjoy ROF. I wonder if the fact that between when I first tried ROF and the recent update I have been playing a lot of the more accessible Strike Fighters 2 has gotten my brain better attuned to the ins and outs of maneuvering an aircraft has anything to do with it? The basic of air combat don't change much after all.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2974707 - 03/11/10 08:06 PM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: KJakker]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Practice makes perfect KJ. Do you have a TrackIR and a decent stick? Makes all the difference in the world.

Jason

#2974734 - 03/11/10 08:50 PM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
djtpianoman Offline
Heir to the Monado
djtpianoman  Offline
Heir to the Monado

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Practice makes perfect KJ. Do you have a TrackIR and a decent stick? Makes all the difference in the world.

Jason

TIR is a must.
Good job on your first kill! wink

#2974811 - 03/11/10 11:51 PM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: djtpianoman]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Congrats!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2974818 - 03/12/10 12:02 AM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: Dart]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
Congrats cheers

I remember my first kill. It was actually a double kill!
I collided with another plane and we both went down in pieces.
BUT, the other plane hit the ground first! So, I counted it as a kill, lol

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
#2974825 - 03/12/10 12:10 AM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: KJakker]  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
Yes I have TrackIR 5. I got it for Christmas. It is the main reason I have been getting back into flight sims. I now have to learn to overcome the problems with my gunnery in ROF as I often seem to be leaving big Z shaped slash of tracers in the air rather than a smooth arc through the fuselage of the target aircraft. And that is with the assisted targeting turned on!

Still, since that update the ability to fly quick missions easily and the change, what ever it was, in feel of flying the aircraft/the AI seems to made it possible for me to gain position advantage which seemed imposable before. If I can to that I can learn proper ROF gunnery.

Edit:I guess I should clarify that this is my first kill as I record it. The computer would beg to differ as I apparently have downed some planes in the past in ROF but it is the first that that I confirmed visually myself. The first one that I actually feel is really mine.

Last edited by KJakker; 03/12/10 12:15 AM.
#2974830 - 03/12/10 12:25 AM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: KJakker]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Sounds like you need to adjust your curves KJ.

Jason

#2974874 - 03/12/10 02:28 AM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: KJakker]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

Those DIII's burn real nice and look fabulous as the oxygen-fanned flames, extending themselves with ever increasing white hot fingers of hate, overwhelm the poor sod of a pilot, whose throat now fully constricted and lips effectively cauterized, is unable to scream to offset the pain while his skin peels away like a well carved kebab. And then the sight of the DIII finally reaching the end of its spectacular journey, plummets at great speed into the earth with such impact that no structural integrity remains. The pilots burnt and all but lifeless body is thrown clear and lands unceremoniously head first into a water filled shell-hole and drowns. It's all good. Innit ?

Well what I mean is .... erm ? Sorry there KJ got a bit carried away .... congrats on your kill. You're obviously pretty chuffed. Well done exitstageleft

#2974877 - 03/12/10 02:34 AM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: catch]  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: catch

Those DIII's burn real nice and look fabulous as the oxygen-fanned flames, extending themselves with ever increasing white hot fingers of hate, overwhelm the poor sod of a pilot, whose throat now fully constricted and lips effectively cauterized, is unable to scream to offset the pain while his skin peels away like a well carved kebab. And then the sight of the DIII finally reaching the end of its spectacular journey, plummets at great speed into the earth with such impact that no structural integrity remains. The pilots burnt and all but lifeless body is thrown clear and lands unceremoniously head first into a water filled shell-hole and drowns. It's all good. Innit ?

Well what I mean is .... erm ? Sorry there KJ got a bit carried away .... congrats on your kill. You're obviously pretty chuffed. Well done exitstageleft

With writing talent like that you need to see about doing to AAR's. Smile2

#2974888 - 03/12/10 03:07 AM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: KJakker]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
*ahem*

Its known as a "Victory", in Polite Circles. *ahem*

Jolly good show though, may that Hun Skelp be one of many Smile2

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#2974903 - 03/12/10 03:44 AM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: Biggles07]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

Cheers on your first Victory!

#2974936 - 03/12/10 04:55 AM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: KJakker]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: KJakker
Originally Posted By: catch

With writing talent like that you need to see about doing to AAR's. Smile2

QFT.

Better than the crap I write.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2974980 - 03/12/10 08:12 AM Re: Finaly I have had a kill. [Re: Dart]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I beg to differ. You two should write together a book.

Instant win.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.