Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2973136 - 03/09/10 11:20 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: PedroTheGoat]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Can't give definite answers except that the campaign is a combination of dynamic - in that there's a factional simulation running underneath which is the backbone of the game within a game - and scripted. Scripted missions will also impact the dynamic aspect. Suffice to say, each time you start a tour of duty it will be different.

It will feel Like Longbow 2 to play, just flying around the current build you get the sensation of a heavy, stable weapons platform that can trip you up. A lot of things will be familiar. There's a start-up procedure and power train simulation in place as well as a stepped augmented flying mode so you can also play with a joypad (still working this out). There's some cool features I won't go into detail about just yet. I keep being warned about gravy.

Performance and system specs. Can't say for sure except tell you the engine is heavily GPU dependent. According to Steams Hardware Survey around 82% of Steam users have PCs capable of running the engine which is a lot. If you can run ARMAII or Crysis you shouldn't have a problem. A lot of gaming rigs are way better than my development PC for sure (it's 3 years old now).

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#2973169 - 03/09/10 01:20 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
Bushmaster78FS Offline
Army Veteran, F-16 Enthusiast
Bushmaster78FS  Offline
Army Veteran, F-16 Enthusiast

Sun City, AZ
Nowadays you have to design your system around the simulation, not the other way around as it used to be in late 90s...

SEMPER VIPER
#2973176 - 03/09/10 01:42 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Bushmaster78FS]  
Chunder Offline
Chunder  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bushmaster78FS
Nowadays you have to design your system around the simulation, not the other way around as it used to be in late 90s...
Reminds me of when I had to get my PC upgraded from 18 to 33 Mhz so I could run Fleet Defender Gold.

#2973271 - 03/09/10 04:28 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Chunder]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Flexman would you post who is working with you on that project if he/she is member of this board? I already see that A.D. is making modeling? Is arneh (and or any other EECH modder/developer) aboard?

#2973387 - 03/09/10 08:17 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: EagleEye[GER]]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
I'll let people come forward if they choose. Not all people involved are members of the forum, some are only peripheral. I can only speak for myself although Flyboy is practically a member as he's sent me about 5000 PMs over the last few months. His constant badgering about the project for his museum web site in part kicked it off the idea that now might be a good time to try again.

There is a very nice and experienced gentleman and his team of voice talents supervising all aspects of audio production and recording (as well as being the accuracy police in matters of air traffic control and weather reporting). If he wishes to step forward he will do so.

If you want to do a head-count. It's mostly 3, plus or minus 1 when required.

Hope that is of some help?

#2973412 - 03/09/10 08:43 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
IamFritz Offline
IamFritz  Offline

Flyboy. He's awesome, but sometimes he makes me crack up.

Fritz Gunter
iamfritz@hotmail.com
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
#2973725 - 03/10/10 06:38 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: IamFritz]  
PedroTheGoat Offline
PedroTheGoat  Offline

Flexman,

Thank you for answering all of my questions. That helps greatly.

I can't even express to you how excited I am for this title. (Heck, it's the only game that I know of that I am going to be willing to drop a minimum of 700 dollars for a new gaming rig for)

I think I am going to hold up until you guys get very close to releasing it before I actually drop the money for a rig, because it would be a shame to have a gaming rig collect dust while I wait for this.

So... This is a stretch... But if this can be answered at all, what kind of time frame are we looking at before a playable version of this sim is out there? (So I can plan on a savings budget for a new rig with a nice GPU.)

#2973777 - 03/10/10 10:34 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: PedroTheGoat]  
Parker Offline
Parker  Offline

Absolutly great news Flexman!

I too thought this was dead long ago.
LB2 fan here with the typical Win7/modern PC issues so an updated sim in the LB2 style is very much anticipated.
The engine seems very good.I have been playing Wings of Prey and thinking how its engine suited helo style graphics.
Really looking forward to release and its a definate purchase here.
If you need a beta tester I am available.
Please keep us updated...no matter how small the updates are they are welcome.

Last edited by Parker; 03/10/10 10:37 AM.
#2973790 - 03/10/10 12:02 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
Shadow=ASP= Offline
Shadow=ASP=  Offline

Norway
Woah. Seems I arrived late to the party but what a party it is clapping
Happy to see the C-H project coming back to life.

#2973796 - 03/10/10 12:10 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Parker]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Well I post updates everyday, sometimes twice a day on the Dev Blog so people involved can keep up with developments. It's a way of encouraging everyone to keep moving forward.

I posted some in-game shots from a small region I made for just testing the Longbow and controller code. You can see the higher res ones on the blog. I'm too lazy to put in all the links and don't want to mess up the forum width posting large pictures. Especially in the wide format.

Hope that's of interest. Still lots of work to do on flight dynamics, haven't touched them since December.

#2973798 - 03/10/10 12:15 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
Pavel Offline
Pavel  Offline

Hi.

Im stunned by work You do and I hope You will have tons of free time to complete this as soon as possible.. AMAZING.
The most surprising part of Your answers in this forum is the message about trying of return to times of Origin and Microprose games. Thats EXACTLY what Ive been missing in last.......12 years? :-) Thats absolutely Nr.1 news for me and wish You a great luck with this project. If You will put the feeling of Strike Commander to this Longbow sim, I will explode in happiness agony! :-D GREAT JOB!

#2973815 - 03/10/10 01:07 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
Pavel Offline
Pavel  Offline

Beautiful. I have one quesiton. Or I have millions of questions, but I will just wait and shut up. :-)

How complex damage model, do You plan to implement in the sim? Im just curious, if the players will be able to perform emergency landings? Loosing some parts, some fire etc, but be able to survive the crash. :-)
Thank You.

#2973831 - 03/10/10 01:51 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Pavel]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
iamfritz - why do I make you crack up!? cuss2

Pavel - if I have anything to do with it you'll be able to lean out of the cockpit in-flight and rivet parts back on yourself! biggrin

Last edited by Flyboy; 03/10/10 01:54 PM.
#2973834 - 03/10/10 01:56 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flyboy]  
Pavel Offline
Pavel  Offline

:-D

#2973988 - 03/10/10 05:46 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
Daveyraveygravey Offline
Hotshot
Daveyraveygravey  Offline
Hotshot

Sunny Sussex
How cool is this?! I was gutted when the old Combat helo site died - remember the tree discussion, Richard?! I am 15 mins late leaving work because I just saw this was happening, happy days!

Anyway, if you want any more Gravy and I can help (which I doubt)! clapping

(Makes note to check piggy bank for new pc funds...)

Foot down, head down...
#2974204 - 03/10/10 10:14 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Daveyraveygravey]  
Kraszus Offline
Kraszus  Offline

Ireland
Looking forward to this biggrin

#2974213 - 03/10/10 10:19 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Pavel]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Pavel
Beautiful. I have one quesiton. Or I have millions of questions, but I will just wait and shut up. :-)

How complex damage model, do You plan to implement in the sim? Im just curious, if the players will be able to perform emergency landings? Loosing some parts, some fire etc, but be able to survive the crash. :-)
Thank You.

It's a little early to say yet. We have to make things go 'boom boom boom' before we can make things go !!BOOM!!

However, I can say that it's highly unlikely we'll aim for DCS's level of damage modelling.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#2974239 - 03/10/10 11:47 PM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: AD]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
If you mean systems failure, engines, gearbox, oil, hyd, tail and the whole sensor suite then the avionics package monitors them for failure messages and alerts accordingly (see blog notes on the upfront controller). Physical damage modelling is a little way up the list. I wrote the powertrain module to impair performance on damage. That's in and awaiting testing when we're ready. Every system I add has some form of metric for operational status and damage.

Betty has a good set of #%&*$#' she can do.

It will look cool enough when we're done. And you'll be in situations where you'll have to perform an emergency landing...or crash. I've done that often enough.

@Davey

I still have all of that material, discussions and images. The whole board was backed up. It is only the same project in spirit though. It's a complicated back-story which I won't relate here. Sorry you were late for work. At least you're working, my contract expires at the end of the month and still not found replacement work yet :/

#2974258 - 03/11/10 12:46 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
IamFritz Offline
IamFritz  Offline

Don't get your flight suit in a twist trying too hard. We're all seriously impressed with what we're seeing! But I think I speak for most when I say we don't want an OpenFalcon level of button pushing- just Allied Force or FreeFalcon level is just fine.

Keep dem posts coming!

Fritz Gunter
iamfritz@hotmail.com
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
#2974430 - 03/11/10 09:38 AM Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo [Re: Flexman]  
Daveyraveygravey Offline
Hotshot
Daveyraveygravey  Offline
Hotshot

Sunny Sussex
Originally Posted By: Flexman

@Davey

I still have all of that material, discussions and images. The whole board was backed up. It is only the same project in spirit though. It's a complicated back-story which I won't relate here. Sorry you were late for work. At least you're working, my contract expires at the end of the month and still not found replacement work yet :/

Had a look at the early video last night too, loving the trees already!

From a lot of the posts, it seems like you are really trying to simulate the way the Apaches are used - it feels like we are going to be able to simulate being Ed Macey, is that the kind of gameplay you are aiming for? Very close ground support with a lot of ground troops and vehicles?

Are there any plans to simulate the Westland Apache at some point?

I menat to add, I am contracting as far as June, so I feel your pain Richard.

Last edited by Daveyraveygravey; 03/11/10 11:01 AM.

Foot down, head down...
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.