Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2958152 - 02/14/10 11:00 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
You'll probably find this useful;

http://www.ikeapostcodecheck.co.uk/

If you can get everything, money, cards, ID, keys etc. sorted in the first week or so, that's pretty good. When I went to Norway for example, I didn't get paid for 3 months, and during those three months I was also living in a hotel, paying for myself, so... you're not doing too bad. wink

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2958158 - 02/14/10 11:17 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Gopher]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Well, I think I have things sorted out. Just waiting for payday to get the other stuff, but I'm okay food-/shelter-/clothing-wise.

I've checked out the ikea website and still don't see what I'm looking for. There are a couple of tables that MIGHT work, but I'd like to see them first before buying.

Any other good furniture stores worth looking at?

- Ice
#2958843 - 02/15/10 07:43 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Damn, I found what I seemed to like in the IKEA site, but could not order online...

C'mon folks, where do you buy your furniture?

- Ice
#2958873 - 02/15/10 08:39 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
Hi Ice,

Most UK cities have an out-of-town shopping area. I see Teesside Retail Park listed nearish to you. Has an Asda Living outlet - usually cheap. Drawback is that you need transport to these places. Some provide free buses to their store from big towns.

Probably others nearer...

How's that English food going?

#2958875 - 02/15/10 08:43 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: - Ice
'ello there, mates!

I'm finally in the UK after months of document processing and what seemed like a lifetime cramped inside an aircraft. Now I have the dubious pleasure of freezing my nuts off every day on the way to and from work. "Shopping" in the open-air malls is torture as well!

Anyways, this is the first time I've been online (or even touched a computer) since the end of January, and I'm starting withdrawal symptoms. I was hoping to get a PC quick here, but it seems like I've been confused all along.

I've been planning to get a GBP 1,200.00 gaming PC to serve gaming, study, and communication roles. I was hoping for a credit card or finance options as soon as I got my bank account sorted out here. Now, apparently the credit card won't be coming for at least 3 months, and financing requires being in the UK for 12 months. That's what I get for not reading the fine print. Had I known, I would've gotten a laptop to "tide me over" back in the Philippines, now I'm stuck in a foreign land not only with little money, but with no idea where the stores are and what the good deals are.

I have little time online now, so I'm asking for a little help. I'm living in the Thornaby area, just off the A66. I've been to PC World and a little shop in the Stockton town center area, and neither can help me any. Reading the fine print on the OcUK website confirms I'm not up for finance with them either.

So, simply put, what are my options for getting a PC without waiting a month or two? Apparently, my bank has something called Overdraft, and for GBP 25 a month, I can have an overdraft of GBP 1,000, so I wonder how that works?

I'd like to avoid getting a laptop if I can (so I can use the money for the PC), but even so I can't afford a laptop with the cash I have on hand. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place!

Any help appreciated.

First, Ice, congratulations on your move! I know you worked your ass off to get it.

pfunk

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#2958883 - 02/15/10 08:59 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: PFunk]  
cambion Offline
cambion  Offline

Wales, UK
Hi Ice. Sorry, to hear that the free PC with broadband wasn't open to you. I was kinda worried that would be the case, but it was worth investigating.

You could try Staples, they are an office supply chain with a fair selection of desks and chairs. I have bought a couple of items of furniture from them, pretty good functional stuff.

www.staples.co.uk

Again, probably located in an out-of-town retail park.

#2959000 - 02/16/10 01:20 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland

I have tried the beer, Carling and Fosters, and they're good.

No, they're not - they are mass market lagers!
Fosters pretends to be Australian but no sensible Australian will drink it ...

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#2959373 - 02/16/10 07:09 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: BUFF]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Vitesse, I've been to the Asda in Teesside Park, because that's where I got this netbook (at Curry's). They have mostly beds and duvets and crockery, but very limited selection on what I'm looking for. Tried the Asda in Thornaby as well, no luck.

Still haven't found a nice, tasty meal... in fact, we went to Burger King today just to get a little 'flavor' in our food. frown

cambion, thanks for pointing out Staples. I think I've seen one on the way to Middlesbrough, I'll see if I can hike that distance from a bus stop. Why do these Brits put retail parks OUTSIDE town? Do they expect us all to have cars?

Buff, any beer recommendations, then?

PFunk, thanks, but as you can see, I'm having trouble with minor details I have overlooked. And the British way of things is overwhelming... like putting stores WAY OUTSIDE where normal people tread.

- Ice
#2959439 - 02/16/10 08:38 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Hah, you think it's bad in the UK you should see it in the States.

#2959450 - 02/16/10 09:07 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: ]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The food? Or the store locations?

- Ice
#2959501 - 02/16/10 10:38 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
Store locations. To be honest, you can't get a retail park in the middle of the town because that would involve 'dozing large amounts of real estate that costs a lot of cash. And yeah, most people have cars, especially up north where you are, and public transport isn't quite as diverse.

Good luck on your search for furniture. Wish I could be more helpful, but that needs some local knowledge which, not being local, is a bit hard for me to come by.

#2959509 - 02/16/10 11:01 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Paul Rix]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
Dart, you and I need to go for a beer sometime WinkNGrin .. I'll convert you cheers.

Won't happen. Budweiser is an American pale lager. The best English ale is simply the best English ale. The best German Weisen is simply the best German Weisen. Neither of them are an American pale lager. While all are under the broad umbrella of "beer," it is sort of like horses. A quarter horse is not an Arabian, which is not a Clydesdale. Different horses for different situations; one isn't inherently "better" than the other.

Likewise, beers are different, and each has its merits. But I wouldn't say one can be "converted" away from a type of beer, only educated to expand their personal knowledge of beer.

There is a simple enjoyment to a nice cold Budweiser or Miller High Life that stands on its own merits.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2959521 - 02/16/10 11:20 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

The food? Or the store locations?

Both, but I meant the store locations mainly smile

#2959554 - 02/17/10 12:52 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: ]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Ice, I've found this for you - http://www.clevelandcamra.org.uk/

Please accept my apologies for it not being furniture related.

#2959926 - 02/17/10 07:19 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland

Still haven't found a nice, tasty meal...

been to the local Indian or Chinese?
Is there anything preventing you cooking your own?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.