Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2956045 - 02/10/10 07:56 PM I need backup!!  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
'ello there, mates!

I'm finally in the UK after months of document processing and what seemed like a lifetime cramped inside an aircraft. Now I have the dubious pleasure of freezing my nuts off every day on the way to and from work. "Shopping" in the open-air malls is torture as well!

Anyways, this is the first time I've been online (or even touched a computer) since the end of January, and I'm starting withdrawal symptoms. I was hoping to get a PC quick here, but it seems like I've been confused all along.

I've been planning to get a GBP 1,200.00 gaming PC to serve gaming, study, and communication roles. I was hoping for a credit card or finance options as soon as I got my bank account sorted out here. Now, apparently the credit card won't be coming for at least 3 months, and financing requires being in the UK for 12 months. That's what I get for not reading the fine print. Had I known, I would've gotten a laptop to "tide me over" back in the Philippines, now I'm stuck in a foreign land not only with little money, but with no idea where the stores are and what the good deals are.

I have little time online now, so I'm asking for a little help. I'm living in the Thornaby area, just off the A66. I've been to PC World and a little shop in the Stockton town center area, and neither can help me any. Reading the fine print on the OcUK website confirms I'm not up for finance with them either.

So, simply put, what are my options for getting a PC without waiting a month or two? Apparently, my bank has something called Overdraft, and for GBP 25 a month, I can have an overdraft of GBP 1,000, so I wonder how that works?

I'd like to avoid getting a laptop if I can (so I can use the money for the PC), but even so I can't afford a laptop with the cash I have on hand. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place!

Any help appreciated.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2956089 - 02/10/10 09:19 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
Overdraft means going into the red and taking money that you don't technically have*; it's a bit like using a credit card in that you're using money that, at the time, you don't have. When you go overdrawn, if it's agreed with the bank (i.e. you pay 25 quid and sign the right forms, whatever they are), then you'll just get charged interest based on that figure. If you unintentionally go overdrawn, then you'll get charged for that.
If you don't mind the initial hit and the monthly fee, going overdrawn is one solution if you know you'll be able to cover it later on. In fact, this is probably the only way I'd go if I can't sit it out - don't even think about those short-term loans, or even getting a loan in the first place - it ain't really worth it.
Me being me, I'd avoid doing a computer by finance. But that's just me. If you really desperately need something, it's a means to an end, but then you have to remember what you're getting yourself into.

Also, if you're going to build your own computer, only get parts online.
Oh, and welcome to the UK! wink

*(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdraft)

#2956187 - 02/11/10 12:36 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Gopher]  
cambion Offline
cambion  Offline

Wales, UK
I'm no financial wizard, but going immediately into an overdraft will affect Ice's credit record - making it harder to get other forms of finance or a credit card in the future.

My point of view is that using an overdraft is a last resort, for paying for food and essential living costs, or in emergencies. Read the terms and conditions for your bank account, to make sure you understand any implications.

If you also require internet access, some broadband ISP's offer free laptops with their ADSL or cable, fairly standard machines - no good for 3D games, but one may tide you over . This will require you to sign up to quite a long minimum contract (18-24 months?) and being newly arrived may cause complications.

Welcome to the UK! Try not to mind the wet and cold too much, it gives us something to moan about! :-)

#2956215 - 02/11/10 01:33 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: cambion]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
My advice would be to forget gaming for the time being, and pick up a second hand computer which will do a decent job for 'study and communications'.

Can't help but laugh at 'open-air malls', welcome to the UK!

Tried the beer yet?

#2956268 - 02/11/10 04:22 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Brun]  
ArgonV Online tunes
Hotshot
ArgonV  Online Tunes
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Don't try the beer...

Unless it's Newcastle!

wink

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#2956302 - 02/11/10 06:09 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: - Ice

Apparently, my bank has something called Overdraft, and for GBP 25 a month, I can have an overdraft of GBP 1,000, so I wonder how that works?

WOAH!!!

An overdraft is not what you think of as a "loan". A regular loan charges modest interest rates, and you pay it back over months or years, or for a house over a few decades. Credit cards charge nothing until the next month, then they ding ya pretty hard with a significant interest rate. An overdraft, you pay for the bank to have it available, in your case 25 a month. But if you actually dip into it, you will get stung by some of the highest interest rates you will see. And they wont warn you either. Its an "avoid at all cost" condition. Its meant for unexpected emergencies: your bank account is somehow empty but you need food and gas to get home...this pays for that food/gas. Its a bit like an instant loan shark, but legal.

Instead, you should ask for a meeting with your bank, to discuss your needs: build a credit record, and get you a reasonable loan. Maybe consider a cheaper temporary computer too, 'till you are sure you can afford better. But whatever you do, do NOT fall into the debt trap.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#2956322 - 02/11/10 07:38 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Very wise words, Rick! Don't forget that except the 25G BP monthly - that's 300GBP per year! - you'll also pay interest on the outstanding money.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#2956337 - 02/11/10 10:39 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Legend]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
Hi Ice,

Welcome to the UK. Cold today?

Wise words above. Banks will sting you with charges where they can.

I can see your position is tricky. As you have found, without a credit history there are ways to get money, but they are expensive. If you can stand to wait three months, that would probably be best. Has your bank issued you with a Debit card? Works like a CC (online too) but the all the money goes straight from your account. How about a cheque book and card?

If you just need internet access, it is usually available at local libraries. Don't think they have webcams set up though (assume you want to contact your family?).

What did you think of PC World? I find it's OK to wander round but never buy anything there. Online shopping is much cheaper from places like Novatech.

If you have the time, please report on your experiences so far!

Cheers!

#2956357 - 02/11/10 12:16 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: ArgonV]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: ArgonV
Don't try the beer...

Unless it's Newcastle!

wink

Coming from the land of Budweiser...bottled p!ss smile

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#2956630 - 02/11/10 08:35 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Mace71]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I'll agree with Mace on that one. 8 years over here in the States and I can attest to the fact that the Beer in the UK is far FAR superior. I have to say though that there are a few good beers emerging over here now. Sam Adams Boston Lager is a really good, full flavoured, hoppy beer. Budweiser has come out with their 'American Ale' which isn't at all bad and Yuengling's is good too. I still miss a good draught Real Ale though. The good American beers tend to be very pricey and often no cheaper than buying a good imported beer.

Ice, there is some good advice above regarding the overdraught. You would be far better off waiting until you can either pay cash for a computer or at least get a proper structured loan with a lower interest rate. I know what it is like to suddenly have no credit history (I went through the same thing when I moved to the States). It doesn't take too long to build your rating up, but if you regularly dip into your overdraft it will not help at all.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#2956641 - 02/11/10 08:48 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Paul Rix]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
I'll agree with Mace on that one. 8 years over here in the States and I can attest to the fact that the Beer in the UK is far FAR superior.

Yep. My time in London a few years back was fantastic. The beer was great. Ever since returning I have to pass up the craptastic stuff and usually enjoy something like Sam Adams. I will say Shiner Bock is pretty good..

#2956666 - 02/11/10 09:11 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
been wondering how you were getting on - Ice.
"open-air mall" sounds like a local market or do you mean a high street?

we really need a local to take you out for a pint & a chat but I second using a local library for internet access until you can afford to buy the gaming rig that you want.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#2956668 - 02/11/10 09:11 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
But I like Budweiser!

Oh, and +1 on no overdrafts.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2956699 - 02/11/10 09:32 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Dart]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Dart, you and I need to go for a beer sometime WinkNGrin .. I'll convert you cheers.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#2956921 - 02/12/10 03:22 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Paul Rix]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
The overdraft fee is the interest... In your case, 30% annually. In the US, that would violate Loansharking laws I suspect.

Not a good idea my friend.

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#2956927 - 02/12/10 03:32 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Skater]  
ArgonV Online tunes
Hotshot
ArgonV  Online Tunes
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
I really meant the room temp beers in the UK... YUCK! I love darker full bodied beers (Stouts mainly). Though a Chimey Red and Blue is really tastey!!

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#2956932 - 02/12/10 03:46 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: ArgonV]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
Originally Posted By: ArgonV
I really meant the room temp beers in the UK... YUCK!

room temp here really means cellar temp & that should be ~56F which is definitely on the cool side.
by contrast 1 of my pet hates is "extra cold" versions of things like Guiness.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#2956943 - 02/12/10 04:14 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: BUFF]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Speaking of overdraft, saw an episode of "Frontline" on PBS the other day, it seems the rates charged are going up steeply. They used the example of a $5 cup of coffee ending up costing $35 a month later after all fees and rates are calculated!!!!!!

It is not a loan. It's a "get out of jail EXPENSIVELY" ticket!

Its bad enough most of us need to "rent money" in order to "own" some shelter and transportation...

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#2957266 - 02/12/10 06:57 PM Re: I need backup!! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Hey guys! Thanks for the reply, but before I'd format a proper reply, can somebody give me a really strong cuss word/phrase that is in use in the UK? PM-ing me this info would be awesome. Thanks!

- Ice
#2958128 - 02/14/10 08:34 AM Re: I need backup!! [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the help guys! I've been able to find a nice deal on a netbook, so I got me one of those and a pay-as-you-go dongle for internet connection, so I got my 'fix' for now. It was really crazy doing GBP 5 per day just paying for call-cards to call the wife and kids at home, so this is a much more economical way of communicating. I was getting really homesick back there and was at the end of my wits, now that we've had several hours of Skype, I'm back to as 'normal' as I can be in a foreign land.

Thanks for the advice on the overdraft. Apparently, Barclays offers GBP 300-1,000 of overdraft interest free, but like you said, I'd prefer that to be for emergencies. Now that I have a computer/netbook and internet connection, that's what overdraft will be for. I did try talking with my bank 3 times, but all they really can tell me is that I'd have to wait... that no-credit score and "you've only been in the UK for a few days" excuses were really getting to my nerves. Oh well.

When payday comes, I expect to be able to buy the PC I'm hoping for, so here I am with my netbook laughing! It's not like I cannot afford it, it just that the money hasn't come in yet.

cambion, while that "free laptop when you sign with an internet connection" deal sounds great, they require us to show proof of residence, which I don't have. In fact, it requires us to be in the UK for at least 3 months, so that was a no-go for me. To be honest, I was hoping to get that deal as well, so I was really disappointed when I learned about the fine print.

Oh, by "open-air malls," yes, I was talking about the high street. Stockton and Middlesbrough both have such, as well as "closed" malls as well. But the freezing cold and finding that a LOT of stores are in the "open-air malls" made for a unique experience.

Vitesse, I just got my debit card yesterday, but I know there's no money in it, so I'm not too thrilled. They said we'll be getting a cheque book as well, we'll just have to wait for it via mail. I know there is internet at the local library, we have it at the hospital and at the university as well. Here's the catch though - you'd need your hospital/university ID. And when is that coming? Oh, sometime next week! So those weren't really an option for a panicking dad. biggrin The PC World store in Teeside Park was just getting rid of stocks, apparently they will be merging with Curry's so they won't be able to help me with anything, and they'll be opening again in July, so that's a long way off. Like they said, I think I'm better off ordering from online.

I have tried the beer, Carling and Fosters, and they're good. Not the "I've never tasted this before!" good, but good. I'm not really a beer guy (I don't have a drink-of-choice, actually), but beer is the "default" drink for me, so I'm not sure if there were nuances there I should've noticed. I have tried the fish and chips though. At first my buddies and I were curious as to how "fish" can be a "guilty pleasure," but even before we consumed the meal, me and another friend were feeling our blood pressures rising! Whoa! It was a delicious meal though, but we find that most dishes here are somewhat bland for our tastes. I find that I'm adding salt more often; a few of my hardier friends add pepper.

Okay, one problem I have at the moment --- I am in need of a table and chair, if I can get a big one for both PC use and studying, that'd be great, if not, I'd need a table for the PC and one for studying. I'm also looking for a nice, high-backed chair (my lower back likes its comforts) for use with the tables. I've been pointed to Asda, but I can't find what I want in the store or online. Second-hand shops are a miss too, they got wonderful dining sets but nothing of what I'm looking for. An IKEA-like, assemble-it-yourself table would be great, but I don't know where to look for it. Is there an IKEA store in the UK? Any help appreciated!

- Ice
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.