Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2947135 - 01/26/10 03:39 AM Looking for some advice on the last tranning mission.  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
So far I have gotten through the first five training mission on my own through trial and error. In the last mission however I am having fits with the pair of Fokker D.VII's at the end. Any advice would be appreciated.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2947175 - 01/26/10 05:02 AM Re: Looking for some advice on the last tranning mission. [Re: KJakker]  
von Kinderei Offline
von Kinderei  Offline

Christiansburg,Virginia

That question was asked over at the Rise Of Flight forum and this is the response ...

Plane settings:

Fuel 60% (gives you some extra time, its important to take this mission slowly). Machine gun convergence at 150m (I've always used this, but you can change it to whatever you are used to.)

As soon as you take off, turn and climb to 2000m (kind of like a corkscrew...). Just stay over your airfield until you reach 2000m. Once you have attained this altitude, turn NE and follow the river. Continue to climb until you reach the first plane.

You are now much higher than he is (hope you brought some snacks ). Spot the Albatros D.Va, and turn with him at this altitude until he exposes his six (you can only turn on him now, because you are at a much higher altitude and he can't shoot you). When that happens, lower your throttle and close your radiator and dive on him. Careful though, if he turns out of the way, DON'T chase him! That is exactly what he wants you to do. He will win in a turn fight. If he moves out of the way, simply pull your nose up, increase throttle, open radiator and climb like a sonovagun. Be careful not to stall. Level out once your speed reaches 100Kph or so. Continue to do this until you get some good bursts into him. Eventually, if you stick with this strategy, you will defeat him without getting any holes in your plane... or your ass.

Remember, climb, wait, dive, shoot, climb, wait, dive, shoot.

Once you shoot him down, climb to 3000m in the same fashion as you did over your airfield. Just circle and climb. Once you are at that altitude, follow the river again until you spot the two Fokker D.VIIs. These guys are mean, and they are deadly accurate. You cannot give them a chance to shoot you. Because chances are, they will take you down with a single burst. This is where that extra fuel comes in. Because you are going to have to discipline yourself to wait until you find an opening in their defenses. Use the same strategy I outlined above. Just stay above them, and try to get them to expose their six to you by turning. Try changing directions once in a while, I found that helped. Once you see that both planes are going to be ahead of you, quickly choose a target (sometimes one will fly straight while one turns, if that happens, go for the one flying straight) lower throttle and radiator and dive on them. Now, you have to be fast. Put a few bursts on him and climb again. Climb but be sure not to stall. Once you are above them again, gain some distance by flying away from them for a while. Your Spad XIII is much faster, so its a sure-fire way to not die. Now, be sure not to dive too far, because you want to be able to escape by climbing above them again. I made that mistake a lot, and ended up earning my call sign over and over again... So dive and shoot, but don't chase them, no matter what.

Keep this up for as long as it takes. Don't be afraid to pause the game and take a breather.

Hope that helps. It's going to take a while, but it feels great once you complete it!

I too am havin' trouble with those damn Fokkers ... haven't tried this yet but it can't hurt and I also heard of a guy that stated the 2 Fokkers ran into each other ... LOL

Ooooooooooooooooooo if only I could be so lucky wink

Good Luck

vK ~

#2947274 - 01/26/10 12:43 PM Re: Looking for some advice on the last tranning mission. [Re: KJakker]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Originally Posted By: KJakker
So far I have gotten through the first five training mission on my own through trial and error. In the last mission however I am having fits with the pair of Fokker D.VII's at the end. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheat. It's only a training mission.

#2947507 - 01/26/10 06:30 PM Re: Looking for some advice on the last tranning mission. [Re: von Kinderei]  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
Thanks for the advice, I will try it tonight. This is my first WWI flight game so I am have a bit of a learning curve in understanding the planes of the era. I was actually flying the Spad with a 100% fuel load for example. I sort of forgot that there is no afterburner to suck up gas and I have no clue what the actual fuel consumption at 100% power is.

On a side note is there something special I have to do to make the game recognize my joystick's throttle? I have been using the keyboard to control engine power.

#2947519 - 01/26/10 06:39 PM Re: Looking for some advice on the last tranning mission. [Re: KJakker]  
von Kinderei Offline
von Kinderei  Offline

Christiansburg,Virginia

Go into settings then input and under game setting select plane controls ... ya should be able to set it there

vK ~

#2947534 - 01/26/10 06:51 PM Re: Looking for some advice on the last tranning mission. [Re: von Kinderei]  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
Thanks for the pointer. I just checked and the ROF recognizes my throttle as the P-axis rather than the default.

#2947698 - 01/27/10 12:09 AM Re: Looking for some advice on the last tranning mission. [Re: KJakker]  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
Well I just tried again and I am petty confident that I can face the single Albatros D.Va anytime but when I got into attack position over the Fokker D.VII's I seem to have forgot I was in a Spad XIII and used the kind of attack profile that I have been using to kill single MIG-17's in a Mirage III or F-104. Result, I ripped my wings off. It was the fastest dive I have ever seen in the game so far, however. hahaha

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.