Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2946301 - 01/24/10 07:51 PM Loud pipes really DO save lives!  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
My husband is living proof. Our main form of recreation is taking nice, long rides on our Harleys. It's cheap and it's fun. Sadly, there are a lot of complete idiots that we share the roads with and one of them almost killed my husband today.

We're on a four-lane road. I'm following Hubby, maybe 20 feet behind him and to his right. His Sportster 883 Low is dead stock except for the modification that turns the turn signals into auxiliary stop lights. My Dyna Super Glide isn't, it has the stop light mod and also the Screamin' Eagle Stage-1 air kit, the bios remap for 6200 rpm max, and Screamin' Eagle Street Performance mufflers. I can idle through parking lots and trip car alarms.

To Hubby's left is this maroon Toyota being driven by a middle-aged soccer mom with a support-your-local-cheerleader magnetic sticker on the rear fender. She starts drifting over into Hubby, and he never even saw it coming. I panicked and fumbled for the horn with my left thumb. In doing so I inadvertently dropped my right wrist, causing the ol' TC96 to loudly and authoritatively clear its throat. That cheerleader mom's head whipped around with this horrified look on her face and she zipped it back over into her own lane.

That Stage-1 upgrade just paid for itself in spades. I'll never own another bike without loud pipes.

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2946312 - 01/24/10 08:04 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Cat]  
JCathcart Offline
JCathcart  Offline

Utah
Cat, the more I learn about you, the more I think that the word "cool" in the dictionary is going to be accompanied by a picture of you. You rock.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." -- Ephesians 6: 12-13 KJV
#2946314 - 01/24/10 08:05 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Cat]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Holy Crap!

Good thinhg you had your head on a swivel Cat!

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#2946316 - 01/24/10 08:06 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Cat]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Geez Cat, I'm glad your hubby is alright.

Yeah, you have to be open and obvious when you ride a bike. Be as loud and as clear and as obvious as you can be.

Even that doesn't protect you. Idiots are what they are. Cars crash into cars all the time. The difference is a car has a steel cage around it. Bikes don't. The pavement is very unforgiving to human flesh.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2946317 - 01/24/10 08:07 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: JCathcart]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Get Dear Hubby a Stebel Compact Nautilus horn.
At 135 dB at 6 feet, it will peel paint off the car next to you.

I know that I might get run over by one of the types of people, but they will go deaf trying it...

Glad it turned out well!!!

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#2946318 - 01/24/10 08:09 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Cat]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I'm sorry, I really don't see how one incident is enough to have every motorcycle running around at 250+ decibel levels.

Why not just figure out a way to attach a small air compressor to a freon style horn? Possibly a constant tone police siren?

I rode bike for a number of years, and saw the loudest of Harleys run off the road - and the quietest of motorcycles do a-okay.

The "loud pipes saves lives" theory is why many apartment complexes and locations ban motorcycles of any type. It becomes an arms race of noise, and if basic motorcycle safety requires the necessity of rattling every window in the neighborhood, we need to rethink things in a very serious way.

I love you, Cat, but I don't want you ripping through my neighborhood on your bike.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2946322 - 01/24/10 08:17 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Dart]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Glasspacks...the mating call of McLennan County.

pfunk

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#2946334 - 01/24/10 08:40 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: PFunk]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Sorry to be critical, but should he not have been driving beside the car in the first place? When I took a motorcycle class back when I rode that was hammered into us a lot, don't drive beside something. Let off and let the car move more forward so you can see it better.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#2946408 - 01/24/10 11:33 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Corsair8X]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

(rofl) Everyone's a critic. Except PFunk and JCathcart. hahaha

Hubby wasn't aware of that Toyota because it was coming up behind him and he was next to the front fender, so a horn wouldn't have saved him, he didn't realize she was there. I think the driver was on her cell phone.

As for horns, mine's plenty loud. But I accidentally zapped the throttle before my fumbly thumb managed to hit the button. I know what I saw, and I thank God for those SP mufflers because they saved my husband's life.

I also wear bright Day-Glo vermilion gloves and vest. And they've kept me alive at least twice because I'm visible.

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat
#2946413 - 01/24/10 11:43 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Cat]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Yeah, a motorcyclist shouldn't be beside any vehicle. Either let off to let it pass, or accelerate to be in front of it. I read that whenever you overtake or find yourself beside a vehicle, "alarms" should be going off in your head and you should take steps to get out of that "situation."

Granted that the car wasn't beside the lead biker, but was approaching from behind, then that cager is nuts for approaching a vehicle then drifting into it. If they were side-by-side, or if the biker were in the blind spot, then that's an excuse, but if the biker was in front? No way.

Glad you're husband is alright, Cat, but pardon me if I don't subscribe to the "loud pipes saves lives" idea. A damn loud horn is ideal though, and was one of my first "mods" to my now-sold motorcycle. biggrin

- Ice
#2946446 - 01/25/10 12:56 AM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: - Ice]  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

cool Well...these are 50-state street legal; they pass EPA decibel regs even in California. I'm not sorry I have them. I like the sound they make. Like an airplane motor. Heh.

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat
#2946485 - 01/25/10 01:50 AM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Cat]  
Trip Offline
Trip  Offline

Cloud 9
that's a cool story Cat, I love a loud Harley!! biggrin

#2946547 - 01/25/10 03:25 AM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Trip]  
Billzilla Offline
Billzilla  Offline

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I have a similar story with another Camry driver.
I was coming up next to him, slowly passing, then as I came up beside him he started to wander over into my lane. A good handful of throttle let him know I was there and he stopped coming over.
Oh yeah, my bike is a Honda VTR1000 Firestorm with the muffler gutted so it's A BIT LOUD! smile
I have to do long trips with ear plugs in, so I can hear at the other end.
http://www.billzilla.org/mybike.html

Loud bikes FTW!!!

Out of ammo
Out of energy
Out of ideas
Down to harsh language
#2946574 - 01/25/10 04:21 AM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Billzilla]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Its easy to say that you shouldn't let other cars get beside you, but have you ever rode on the interstate with rush-hour traffic? Kiss that idea goodbye. You always ride in a pack.
So, you use your SA and watch for people around you that are eating, talking on phone, looking in backseat, etc and avoid them.
Cover the levers, and move your thumb near the horn. Prepare to drop a gear and roll throttle.

My current pipes are quiet, and get little attention. That's ok. But the horn will call Soccer Mom in the Tahoe to throw her phone in the rear seat in shock.

You have to be on your game when riding these days.
Friday morning I left the house thinking about family issues, and started to turn left into oncoming traffic. Locking up the rear tire is not fun. You can't ride with your head up your butt. I've commuted 1700 miles on my bike since i got it in November.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#2946578 - 01/25/10 04:31 AM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Bill_Grant]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
I gave up riding. So many automobile drivers haven't a clue what it takes to ride a bike. With urban and suburban developement making roads more crowded and drivers more antagonized I found it safer to just sell the bike. I can't tell you how many people have pulled out in front of me from a side street or parking lot without looking, or worse - caring.

Glad the hubby is okay, Cat.

#2946604 - 01/25/10 06:04 AM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: knightgames]  
gallycadet Offline
gallycadet  Offline

New Mexico
I don't mind Loud pipes on a motorcycle. What I can't stand is people that put huge mufflers on imports or really any car. Please, shut the f#&$*# engine off so I can get some sleep.... Maybe its a hispanic thing, but there are so so many of them here in New Mexico.

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the corps!
#2946682 - 01/25/10 01:00 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: - Ice]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Good for you Cat. My Harley has healthy sounding pipes too.

Glad it turned out well.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#2946710 - 01/25/10 02:01 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: oldgrognard]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Glad it turned out well, and as long as it's street legal, any sound is fine by me.

Shows a principal problem with Cruisers though - when I drive, I'm always at the front, even in city traffic. It only takes one red light to sneak ahead of the colums and run off with much better accel than any car, to repeat the same thing at the next red light.

If you're caught "swimming" inside a bunch of cars, it's ugly.

#2946718 - 01/25/10 02:26 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
I am glad it worked out for you. I worry about blind spots in cars a lot. I drive defensively because of that. I either speed up when I am next to another car or slow down to try to avoid those spots. I think it's why it would terrify me on a motorcycle.

I do my best to check when I move into the left lane, but I still fear that someone is in that blind spot and it's a timing thing where they move opposite from when I am checking.

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#2946731 - 01/25/10 02:49 PM Re: Loud pipes really DO save lives! [Re: Destructis]  
Hankmc Offline
Hotshot
Hankmc  Offline
Hotshot

NJ USA
Back in the days of kick starts and spark controls a sure way to get someone's attention was to retard the spark, flood the gutted pipes and crank the spark back to normal. The backfire and flames would wake up anyone not paying attention. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.