Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2944608 - 01/22/10 03:16 AM Using Strike Firhters to help whith BFM?  
KJakker Offline
KJakker  Offline

Michigan, USA
Do you think that flying the aircraft in the SF2 series is helpful in learning BFM to employ in other games? Also what pitfalls should I watch out for? I have been flying with normal difficulty settings for both Simulation and Enemy skill level.

So far I like SF2:Vietnam because I am actually getting kills which I have yet to do in a switch fest like Falcon or LOMAC. The keyboard controls actually remind me of playing Freespace or Wing Commander and I like the prevalence of the gun as the final arbiter of combat because it fits well with what I learned in those space shooter. After reading the radar tutorial over at CombatACE I have even been geting kills in F-4's. Still I seem to be learning the in's and out's of employing different types of aircraft in air combat.

I still get shot up fairly regularly but it seems that unlike in Falcon or LOMAC I don't get frustrated when it happens and the learning curve is not so steep ether. I just pick myself up and try again. Of course I just added the "SF2:Vietnam Air & Ground War Expansion Pack v2.0" and "NATO Fighters 4+" toSF2:Vietnam and SF2:Europe so that ease of learning could change.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2944707 - 01/22/10 07:29 AM Re: Using Strike Firhters to help whith BFM? [Re: KJakker]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
I think it all comes down to a matter of preference, really. Granted, I find it a lot easier to maintain situational awareness in SF2 than in F4, for example, but I think it's going to vary from person to person. Being a firm believer in the old maxim of "train as you fight, fight as you train," I've devoted the majority of my time to LOMAC so I'm not having to re-learn key commands, which button does what on my HOTAS, etc. Not to mention I've found that weapons modeling and the flight models are pretty different between the two sims.

On the flip side of the coin, BFM is BFM, so being able to dogfight in one carries over to the other, but of course there's going to be a transition period. But hey, it's all about having fun anyway, right? cheers

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#2945120 - 01/22/10 07:45 PM Re: Using Strike Firhters to help whith BFM? [Re: NavyNuke99]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
In Falcon 4 use the training and dogfight modes to learn BFM etc - in campaigns you are firing missiles that dont normally miss at each other at range.

SF2 is a different era - over the 1960-1980 time period you need to adjust tactics but unlike F4 you are dealing with missiles that are likely to miss so merging and going guns is more likely.
Also you need to dogfight in a myriad of jets with different power and turning capabilities - so you need to learn a lot more than trying to outturn something - because in some cases you cant anyway

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.