Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Who put that tree there LOL!

wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#2942280 - 01/19/10 03:55 AM Re: night missions [Re: MrJelly]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Hope you found it not too difficult to take off in the dark, hehehe. It's kind of hard to stay on the runway eh?

VonBeerhofen

#2942296 - 01/19/10 04:25 AM Re: night missions [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Sure is VBH, especially from Hawkinge which is a grass runway and gives you the WW1 style take off across the paddock. However, today I set an airstart.

Both missions were a lot of fun though!

smile Jel

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#2942359 - 01/19/10 06:54 AM Re: night missions [Re: MrJelly]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

What a shame, a scramble airstart, ah well just too bad, better luck next time Cooper. I'm sure you gonna love it, smile

VonBeerhofen

#2942748 - 01/19/10 07:00 PM Re: night missions [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
Knegel Offline
Hotshot
Knegel  Offline
Hotshot

Hey Guys,

you need to make it on "Ace" difficulty, then you will get the radar, without icons.

I dont know a better immersion killer than icon hunting at night.

Use a Bf110G vs B24th and Mossies as oponent, a few WildeSau 190´s or 109´s could help you. wink

Greetings,

Knegel

If you think `thats close enough´, go closer, until the plane fill up the windscreen, then a short burst is enough!
#2942775 - 01/19/10 07:38 PM Re: night missions [Re: Knegel]  
capt_cooper Offline
capt_cooper  Offline

radar? what radar?

#2942876 - 01/19/10 09:54 PM Re: night missions [Re: capt_cooper]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
Need some runway flares smile

Moggy DCM

#2943092 - 01/20/10 03:34 AM Re: night missions [Re: Moggy]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
capt_cooper, when you fly in "Ace" mode, you don't get icons, but you do get a red arrow pointing to any plane that is OFF screen. This helps you move into the general direction of your target, which you eventually acquire visually.

This is very similar to the methods available through most of the war...

"Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn...." Blue Oyster Cult

#2943099 - 01/20/10 03:49 AM Re: night missions [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

So I "adapted" your nightblitz Moggy, and a WW1 takeoff is very hairy indeed as I suspect the "flares" are fuel dumps, and a collision with one is terminal LOL.

wink Jel

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#2943138 - 01/20/10 04:54 AM Re: night missions [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Capt Cooper and I just flew two great groundstarted intercepts smile

wink Jel

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#2943184 - 01/20/10 06:59 AM Re: night missions [Re: capt_cooper]  
Knegel Offline
Hotshot
Knegel  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: capt_cooper
radar? what radar?

The radar is the normal HUD systhem, but you dont get icons.
You need to have the "Target Director Display" (alt D) activated(in the little arrow on the screen edge to show you the shortest way to the current target.

You toggle a enemy with "Target best enemy" or "target next enemy". If a enemy i close, you will see its speed and height like usual and the little arrow on the screen edge show you the direction you need to turn to, to get the target in front of you.
When the arrow dont show up, while the target speed etc still get displayed, the target is in your current sight, although you might not see it cause the darkness cover it.
By using zoom, you can decrease the possible area, where the target can be.

Once you got close enough, you should be able to see the target like a shadow, then you can sneak in and shoot it down.

Like CJ wrote, thats somewhat the way the WWII Radars did work. They gave you a rough direction and height, but finally you had to find the target by eyesight.

When its night and Ace mode is active, the reaction distance and the "sight possibility" of the tailgunners is decreased very much, so you have a good probability to sneak up very close, without that the tailgunner shoot.

Appart from the real no icon "Wilde Sau" like night fight, this is for me the only way to make a immersive night combat.
Icons are already ugly at daylight, but at night it make the screen looking like packman.

Greetings,

Knegel

If you think `thats close enough´, go closer, until the plane fill up the windscreen, then a short burst is enough!
#2943192 - 01/20/10 07:32 AM Re: night missions [Re: Knegel]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

OK I have a version working using Moggy's flares, with a TMod.dat file where the "fuel dumps" have a hit bubble of zero size so you can drive over them in complete safety smile

I took off, and later landed back at base with no trouble smile

wink Jel

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#2943203 - 01/20/10 08:28 AM Re: night missions [Re: MrJelly]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

All 100+ airfields (times +/-10 lights per runway) and fully relocatable so it works on all airfields, or just the one Moggy tried before he gave up?
The only way to make this work is to either have all airfields on the same terrain tile facing the same direction or to modify the targets for each base in every campaign (1000+ objects each).
Must be a new feature in the 1.28d version. Awaiting this one with much anticipation.

VonBeerhofen

#2943205 - 01/20/10 09:06 AM Re: night missions [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

1.28D is an exe not an addon, and is is extremely flexible because of the 1.28C/D folders system. The upshot is that some of us are having plenty of fun flying groundstarted night missions in real time online with 1.28C or D as they are completely compatible. The external TMod.dat works well, with Moggy's flares on a number of fields we use which are ideal for groundstarts. The seasonal terrain switch is a bonus.
From what you tell us you cannot fly 1.28C or D, so I do not know why you are waiting in anticipation sleepy

wink

I have added this so that VBH can flog it

deadhorse

Last edited by MrJelly; 01/21/10 03:53 AM. Reason: dead horse added

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#2943311 - 01/20/10 02:23 PM Re: night missions [Re: MrJelly]  
capt_cooper Offline
capt_cooper  Offline

what i really need is a radar that "sees" trees, so i dont fly into them on landing approach like last night. ouch.

thanks for the explanation, Knegel. now i understand what you were talking about.

the night takeoffs and landings arent really a problem, if you take your time and have a little patience. it adds a lot to the "immersion" factor.

2./Jg1_Luth

rob

#2943672 - 01/20/10 08:45 PM Re: night missions [Re: MrJelly]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

deadhorse

Sorry to hear that Ralph, I was hoping it was something new, some new idea or something. But it's no different really from what I have by extracting a few files into EAW. I can't see it'll make campaign creation any easier or shorter, only more difficult and more timeconsuming.
The only good system I can really think off is an ingame theatre selection controlled by the host but that won't work when players don't have the campaign installed. It's the same with OAW, that's why you have to stick to unified and why it can't do anything ununified, unless files are shared and put into some subfolder (more choices then filetypes). You say it's so easy, I say it's not after 5 years of OAW frustrations and constant changes which require upgrading about every week. As I said before, there's nothing easier then plunging a .ZIP into a fresh install and it works just as fast too.
Just the opinion of someone who's into creating this stuff every day and who thinks that more choices isn't necessarily better, easier or faster.
BTW, I've had what you show there on my computer since around 2002 I believe, the same goes for illuminated hangars, control towers and a few other objects.

VonBeerhofen

#2943755 - 01/20/10 10:34 PM Re: night missions [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

deadhorse

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#2943999 - 01/21/10 07:02 AM Re: night missions [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
Knegel Offline
Hotshot
Knegel  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: VonBeerhofen
deadhorse

I can't see it'll make campaign creation any easier or shorter, only more difficult and more timeconsuming.
The only good system I can really think off is an ingame theatre selection controlled by the host but that won't work when players don't have the campaign installed. It's the same with OAW, that's why you have to stick to unified and why it can't do anything ununified, unless files are shared and put into some subfolder (more choices then filetypes). You say it's so easy, I say it's not after 5 years of OAW frustrations and constant changes which require upgrading about every week. As I said before, there's nothing easier then plunging a .ZIP into a fresh install and it works just as fast too.
Just the opinion of someone who's into creating this stuff every day and who thinks that more choices isn't necessarily better, easier or faster.
BTW, I've had what you show there on my computer since around 2002 I believe, the same goes for illuminated hangars, control towers and a few other objects.

VonBeerhofen

Iam not sure what this have to to with my post??

Anyway, the foldersystem of EAW1.28c/d have some extreme advantages over just a new unzipped addons.

1. The different setups stay untouched, so a user cant mess them up.
2. Each of this setups got its own savedata folder, so simgle mission and campaign files are stored fitting to the theatre(less CTDs etc).
3. The loding time of a complete new setup goes down to almost zero.
4. No disc fragmentation.
5. Still additional addons can get loaded into the EAW directory, like usual.
6. Each theatre can have up to 5 plane sets, the plane set is controlled by the Host.
7. We even can pack additional CDF´s and point the exe to them, alongside the folders.

All this gets more important, when someone use Multiskins, cause they have a huge size. To load/unload one Skin set would need a long time and would fragment the HD very much.
Of course you dont need this, cause your exe dont support multiskins and of course you dont like them.
But also for very big setups, like SAW, SPAW etc this is very nice.

Looks like you never did understand OAWunified, cause OAW unified wasnt static. We always could add things.
OAWunified is still the most flexible EAW setup ever, where 200 planes could get used without a static plane set, just by sharing one file of just 1kb size!!

And for sure you never had a radar as host setting.

Of course you dont need all this, cause unzipping is as easy and flexible and in general you had all this already when EAW got release. biggrin

Btw, i just got the planes.dat splitted and we are just working on splitting the loadout.dat.

When we have this, we will have real freedom regarding the planes, and yes, iam able to implement the current selected planes as host setting!!
Then we can have a huge folder with several hundret planes and the host determine which planes get used.
But of course you also dont need this, unzipping a new plane set into the EAW diectory is as good as this.

Greetings,

Knegel

#2944013 - 01/21/10 08:21 AM Re: night missions [Re: Knegel]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Quote:
The only good system I can really think off is an ingame theatre selection controlled by the host but that won't work when players don't have the campaign installed.

Unlike you VBH we provide links here so that anyone who is interested can download our stuff as 7-zip self installers to run in their single EAW folder. Nothing else needs to be done:

Check out the number of different scenarios available with a single mouseclick.

Something you would be gloriously ignorant of is the ability of 1.28C and D to handle different planesets:

These can be set by OAW128 which conveniently modifies the ini. This could be done manually if necessary.

The planeset number is transmitted by the host to all players, and becomes automatic without their having to do a thing.

Now it is a "statement of the bleedin' obvious" that two players cannot play a campaign unless they both have it installed. With these campaigns we may need to post the occasional link at GameRanger, but the users soon learn what to do, and there's never any need to create yet another EAW directory.

Whilst we are considering what gets transmitted by the host are you aware of what does not get transmitted in 1.2 and your FXExe?
When you do a 1943 sweep does every player always see the same AI's, or does one guy in a 190A see a P38H and someone else sees a P47C because each player's PC generates the AIs.
You claim to be a champion of online EAW, but would any serious gamer want to use an exe where they can only pick a region, not a target, and no bases? Of course, they could run parallel systems with multiple EAW folders so they could use yours if there were no other choices, or OAW128 with 1.28C or D.

As Ralf noted we cannot see what relevance your comment had in this thread, you just used it as another chance to flog the OAW dead horse.

Meanwhile, another night intercept is under way at GameRanger - gotta fly!

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.