Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2942356 - 01/19/10 06:53 AM Any with Network expertise, please help...  
Robert Murphy Offline
Robert Murphy  Offline

Seattle, WA
'Llo Bros,

Here is my problem: I rely on my 'free' Clearwire (see: Slowwire) connection for internet acess; times are tough, and I am under employed. Well, as of a few days ago I suddenly cannot access certain sites, most gallingly, yahoo, which means I cannot access e-mail. Some sites even those not regularly visited by me (i.e. not cached, spring up.) I tried running A net video window on one of those sites to test it out, and it ran fine. (I.e., as 'fine' as Slowwire usually runs such things.) And Youtube runs fine. The results are identical whether I run IE or Mozilla/Firefox. Could this be a virus?

Any and all help greatly appreaciated.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Murphy; 01/19/10 06:54 AM.

"I would never allow any man to drag me so low as to hate him."

--Benjamin Disraeli

Send any and all hate-mail and death threats to: rmurphy4949@yahoo.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2942366 - 01/19/10 07:15 AM Re: Any with Network expertise, please help... [Re: Robert Murphy]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Just some quick thoughts, surely yahoo would put up a notice if email was down for service.

Open a command prompt. If in Vista or 7 right click before opening and run as admin.
Can you ping it?
>ping www.yahoo.com

If you can, your browser or other may have some issue. If not, then:

>ipconfig /flushdns

Try to ping again. If still won't do it, you may have a firewall blocking that port, so don't take that as a 100% indication of a problem. If familiar with your firewall, you can open that port, you'll probably find a label for that tool you can check.

--Check your router to flush the routing table.

Other ideas:
--Download Ccleaner (freeware) and see if that scan finds anything.

--If still no luck, try another browser. IE, Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome...good to have a 2nd on hand anyway. Or, access a proxy site like www.hidemyass.com and put the url in there to see if that gets it to come up.

--Double check your web security software, make sure yahoo hasn't landed on some kind of blocked website list.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#2942395 - 01/19/10 09:11 AM Re: Any with Network expertise, please help... [Re: Robert Murphy]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: Robert Murphy
'Llo Bros,

Here is my problem: I rely on my 'free' Clearwire (see: Slowwire) connection for internet acess; times are tough, and I am under employed. Well, as of a few days ago I suddenly cannot access certain sites, most gallingly, yahoo, which means I cannot access e-mail. Some sites even those not regularly visited by me (i.e. not cached, spring up.) I tried running A net video window on one of those sites to test it out, and it ran fine. (I.e., as 'fine' as Slowwire usually runs such things.) And Youtube runs fine. The results are identical whether I run IE or Mozilla/Firefox. Could this be a virus?

Any and all help greatly appreaciated.

Robert

Make sure you don't live in China.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.