Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2937439 - 01/11/10 08:39 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Mogster]  
Morttheslayer Offline
Morttheslayer  Offline

South West England
I already posted on another thread. I would always go for a boxed version, I'm sure Steam won't go bust overnight but stranger things happen. These games get superseded and its nice to be able to get them out and dust them off sometimes and start rediscovering why you bought them initially.
I have no trouble keeping disc copies and keep all updates patches etc on disc also. Any PC problem; yes we all get one once in a while! means a reinstall is easy - no reliance on hook ups and poor or broken download issues. Anyway not to bang on about this but "disc in a box with a key activation code". Anything else is an unnessary infringement of my consumer rights.
ATB Mort

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2937555 - 01/11/10 11:43 PM Re: Where would you prefer to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
jath Offline
jath  Offline

I bought WoP on steam. As I tend to loose my DVDs much too often and I don't like to wait for the delivery (yeah, messy and impatient ;)), steam is a quite comfortable way for me to buy my games. Why steam and not yuplay? Well, I already had a steam account.

Sadly, Boxes are mostly useless nowadys. I don't like this fact, but the times of games like Falcon 4.0 with Reference Card, a 800+ pages manual and a nice big box are over. All I get today is a cheap DVD-Box with some useless 5-Page-"Manual". There is practically no benefit for me to buy the boxed version.

Last edited by jath; 01/11/10 11:44 PM.
#2937749 - 01/12/10 04:42 AM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: coochie]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
I have never had any problems with Steam.
I don't know what infor they collect and don't really care. They have never sold my email or spammed me in anyway. Sure I get their latest "News Update" when I launch a game, a simple click makes that go away.
Steam starting causing a delay in game launch time. Yeah, those 10 seconds are real buzz killers, I know rolleyes
You do not have to get updates from steam exclusively. You can turn off auto update for any game, if you don't want the latest version to be applied. You can get patches downloaded from other sites to use. I have a couple games that were patched from outside sources.
Steams saved my HL2 install, as disk 4 would not read one time. I figured I was out of luck, but thought I would ask at Steam. When I launched Steam I saw HL2 in My Games and click on it to Complete the Install. Sure enough, it completed the install and it is working to this very day.
I am sure some can find fault with their system. I am only speaking from my experiences with them. Not a single problem. If fact the benefits far outweigh any and all drawbacks.

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
#2937874 - 01/12/10 12:18 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Cas141]  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Originally Posted By: Cas141
Originally Posted By: coochie
Sorry to bug you guys with details but I just wanted to ask:
So, if i download the game in digital version, when I do it, I can easily save eveything that is downloaded in one folder that I can simply burn to disk and save hard copy to re-install or uninstall on my computer whenever i want just like if I bought the disk at a store, correct?
I dont know if Ill ALLWAYS have a fast internet connection like i do now and I dont want to ever have to download it twice. I want the freedom of using it even if I dont have an internet connection.
I am a pasionate surfer and I made a sacrafice a few years back and moved from up north where I made a lot more money to a small beach town in florida where the water is warm allmost year round and I never have to wear a wet suit, hot chicks in skimpy bathing suits are plentifull year round everywhere you look, but the jobs and money are scarce. I dont know if ill allways be able to afford cable and a fast internet connection but i still want the freedon of playing a game that i payed $50 for. Internet connection or not. I also want the freedom to install the game on another computer up north if i decide to go up there this summer to work and save more money. if I go there, i will be traveling light. Just bring clothes, tools and computer software (I work with CAD programs). So, once I download digital version, I can make a hard copy, use it, and I wont HAVE to go on steam again If i dont want to right?

I have the same questions as coochie here, and i'd like to see someone, who knows, who would be kind enough to answer these specific questions which Coochie and I are asking,please.
In my specific case, if i downloaded it on to this computer, i would need to transfer it to my gaming computer. can that be done?

TIA

Just a bump guys for an answer please? Any dev, who is looking, can answer please?
For me, a dvd to buy is ideal, but if it is download only, (Paypal?),the above questions are important considerations.
It looks absolutely fabulous and I'm wanting to buy it.
Thanks again in anticipation

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.