Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2936185 - 01/09/10 09:21 PM Where would you prefer to buy Wings of Prey, if at all?  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Would you prefer to buy WOP from Steam or yuPlay?
Just curious.

Where do you prefer to buy?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 01/09/10 09:20 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2936191 - 01/09/10 09:25 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
how about you Raw Kryptonite are you picking this puppy up?

I've been downloading for 15 hours and have 64% completed (steam)

#2936194 - 01/09/10 09:27 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: bisher]  
Parker Offline
Parker  Offline

Already prepurchased beta with yuplay....glad I did.

#2936195 - 01/09/10 09:30 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: bisher]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: bisher
how about you Raw Kryptonite are you picking this puppy up?

I've been downloading for 15 hours and have 64% completed (steam)

I love the 360 version, (as you know) and have been waiting on pc version to come out on steam. As it is, I'm glad I hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'm going to hold off for now.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#2936206 - 01/09/10 09:48 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
coochie Offline
coochie  Offline

florida
I would prefer to buy it from a store or even order a disk online. You should have added that option. I have at least 40 PC games but have never bought a digital one. I am very reluctant too do it this way otherwise i would have the full version allready. What benefit, if any, to the customer is there in buying a digital version?? It surely is NOT any cheaper. What can i get from a digital version that i cant get from a hard copy on disk? I dont see a single benefit to me and its my very hard earned money I would be spending.

Last edited by coochie; 01/09/10 11:44 PM.
#2936505 - 01/10/10 01:48 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: coochie]  
killdevil Offline
Ruddy Duck
killdevil  Offline
Ruddy Duck

E.City, North Carolina
Do you have kids? I do, the majority of my disk have some way or the other been scratched beyond repair. Also, you can place the install files on a thumbdrive, burn it to disk, or store it on a hard drive. Then if you manage to loose all those you can still log back in and download again.

I'm exactly opposite in this regard as I prefer digital downloads.

CSG_Rummy
#2936514 - 01/10/10 02:10 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: killdevil]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I bought it via Yuplay but would've preferred to buy from Steam, since I like to keep my sources of downloadable games small and Steam has provided excellent service over the years.

I don't care for a box, a dvd or tiny printed leaflets, a game I can start downloading late Saturday night and have on my HD saturday morning is just fine for me.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#2936599 - 01/10/10 04:45 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Para_Bellum]  
RedCanoe Offline
RedCanoe  Offline

Huntsville, Ontario, Canada
Coochie,

I would imagine that downloading is more sustainable (not having done a life cycle analysis or anything). Saving the energy from the manufacturing and transporting of the media is most likely more environmentally friendly (as is not driving to the store to pick it up or have it shipped).

Cheers.

#2936620 - 01/10/10 05:09 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: RedCanoe]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
I'll get it from Steam, once the controller issues are sorted out.
That's all I am waiting on. I would have already had it from YuPlay, had that issue been fixed before release. Now with the Steam version, I will buy it from there.

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
#2936624 - 01/10/10 05:12 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Para_Bellum]  
TailFlamer Offline
TailFlamer  Offline

Clearwater, Fl. USA
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
I can start downloading late Saturday night and have on my HD saturday morning is just fine for me.
Please tell me that's a misprint. Certainly it didn't take a week to download, did it?

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro
FIA Formula One World Championship
#2936640 - 01/10/10 05:41 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: TailFlamer]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
I used to be a hard copy only kind of guy but now I quite like Steam.

Its just so handy, if you want to re-install something you just log into your account, find your games list and off you go. New PC, leave Steam on overnight wake up next morning all your games are downloaded and patched raedy to go. I wish all my software worked this way.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#2936660 - 01/10/10 05:59 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Mogster]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
From a store, if possible, inside a box.

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#2936676 - 01/10/10 06:15 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Mogster]  
coochie Offline
coochie  Offline

florida
Sorry to bug you guys with details but I just wanted to ask:
So, if i download the game in digital version, when I do it, I can easily save eveything that is downloaded in one folder that I can simply burn to disk and save hard copy to re-install or uninstall on my computer whenever i want just like if I bought the disk at a store, correct?
I dont know if Ill ALLWAYS have a fast internet connection like i do now and I dont want to ever have to download it twice. I want the freedom of using it even if I dont have an internet connection.
I am a pasionate surfer and I made a sacrafice a few years back and moved from up north where I made a lot more money to a small beach town in florida where the water is warm allmost year round and I never have to wear a wet suit, hot chicks in skimpy bathing suits are plentifull year round everywhere you look, but the jobs and money are scarce. I dont know if ill allways be able to afford cable and a fast internet connection but i still want the freedon of playing a game that i payed $50 for. Internet connection or not. I also want the freedom to install the game on another computer up north if i decide to go up there this summer to work and save more money. if I go there, i will be traveling light. Just bring clothes, tools and computer software (I work with CAD programs). So, once I download digital version, I can make a hard copy, use it, and I wont HAVE to go on steam again If i dont want to right?

Last edited by coochie; 01/10/10 06:23 PM.
#2936688 - 01/10/10 06:43 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: coochie]  
RedCanoe Offline
RedCanoe  Offline

Huntsville, Ontario, Canada
I donwloaded it from YuPLay. It is one folder that could easily be burned or backed up on a key. You just double click the .exe and voila.

This is the first game I have ever downloaded as well. I like having a disc.

I'm curious about steam as well. My experience with Half Life 2 is you need to have an internet connection after you install or you can't even get into "offline" mode. Makes me nervous.

#2936742 - 01/10/10 08:06 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: RedCanoe]  
gx007 Offline
gx007  Offline

Menifee, CA
I purchased the yuplay HTTP service $8/year and the dl is very fast. Saved the files to an external hd so no problems in the future.

#2936746 - 01/10/10 08:15 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: coochie]  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Originally Posted By: coochie
Sorry to bug you guys with details but I just wanted to ask:
So, if i download the game in digital version, when I do it, I can easily save eveything that is downloaded in one folder that I can simply burn to disk and save hard copy to re-install or uninstall on my computer whenever i want just like if I bought the disk at a store, correct?
I dont know if Ill ALLWAYS have a fast internet connection like i do now and I dont want to ever have to download it twice. I want the freedom of using it even if I dont have an internet connection.
I am a pasionate surfer and I made a sacrafice a few years back and moved from up north where I made a lot more money to a small beach town in florida where the water is warm allmost year round and I never have to wear a wet suit, hot chicks in skimpy bathing suits are plentifull year round everywhere you look, but the jobs and money are scarce. I dont know if ill allways be able to afford cable and a fast internet connection but i still want the freedon of playing a game that i payed $50 for. Internet connection or not. I also want the freedom to install the game on another computer up north if i decide to go up there this summer to work and save more money. if I go there, i will be traveling light. Just bring clothes, tools and computer software (I work with CAD programs). So, once I download digital version, I can make a hard copy, use it, and I wont HAVE to go on steam again If i dont want to right?

I have the same questions as coochie here, and i'd like to see someone, who knows, who would be kind enough to answer these specific questions which Coochie and I are asking,please.
In my specific case, if i downloaded it on to this computer, i would need to transfer it to my gaming computer. can that be done?

TIA

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
#2936902 - 01/11/10 01:10 AM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Cas141]  
coochie Offline
coochie  Offline

florida
This is what I have read about steam. If I was reluctant to use it before, im totally freaked out about it now. I dont mean to ruffle anyone feathers but what it is, is what it is. Sounds like steam is a form of big brother holding people by the balls:

"Steam is undeniably a form of DRM - it manages your rights to accessing the digital content which you've purchased. You must verify ownership of all Steam-purchased games online before you can play them, in other words every Steam game comes with product activation. You must download all applicable game update via Steam, as well as Steam client updates, on a regular basis. Furthermore the Steam client runs in the background when accessing Steam games and related features, adding to either Windows startup time or game launch times depending on how it's configured. There are a range of verified problems which Steam can induce on a system, whether it be in accessing Steam games, slow or non-completing downloads, even crashes. Finally, Valve's Privacy Policy allows it to collect a range of information from Steam users without their knowledge and without offering any opt-out options.

So essentially, Steam has all the elements which would make it a prime candidate for users to complain endlessly about unnecessary resource usage, potential performance problems, being spied upon without their knowledge, unwanted restrictions on access to their games, rootkits, and so forth. Yet why did Steam go on to be so incredibly successful despite the initial years of user anger, while StarForce and now SecuROM have had a massive hate campaign waged against them? I contend that it's due in large part to the substantial fan base for Valve's CounterStrike and Half Life games who have unquestioningly supported Valve in virtually every move it makes. I'm not suggesting that Steam is a bad piece of software, and of course Valve has also implemented various improvements to Steam over the years. However at its core Steam is still DRM and still imposes various restrictions very similar to something like SecuROM. And while SecuROM has its drawbacks, so too does Steam".

The link to this article above about steam is here:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_9.html

If I cant get a hard copy of this game, i am buying it from yuplay for sure. yuplay probobly has its own problems and security crap protections but i dont want to add steams with it also. someone wrote in a post in this forum about finding two DRM's in there game when they used steam. Above article seems to explain that.

#2936910 - 01/11/10 01:25 AM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: coochie]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I have a different outlook.

Originally Posted By: Anton_Yudintsev

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

I hear ya, but that's why I had no reservations about buying *2* copies of BOP, one for each 360--and I'm not trading one in either. The game is THAT good.
But I'm not in a rush, I can wait.
...I don't care about DRM so much (other than my Vista-Starforce issues on another sim) but 3 activations...

3 activations and 10 deactivations is huge limit. And even if it will be exhausted, we'll add you activations on demand. I am available most of the time, my email and cell phone is publicly available, and I am CEO of the company (the company is big, so things can take some time - but I am willing to help, if there is ANYTHING wrong with support).

Not likely to get someone so deeply involved in your game AND Steam to interact with the fans like Anton and the guys do. The relationship didn't occur to me.
I've got the game and my P-40 now.

#2936986 - 01/11/10 03:55 AM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
I want to get this, after playing IL2 since the demo I can't resist the lovely scenery, problem for me is my ISP has unlimited downloads, which in Oz often means unlimited up to 12gb then tapered to 64k, this makes it very hard to download these multi gigabyte games, is this available anywhere on disc?

III/JG11_Tiger
#2937132 - 01/11/10 01:16 PM Re: Where do you plan to buy Wings of Prey, if at all? [Re: Tiger27]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
There seems to have been only a limited PC release which is a shame. I think there's a decent market for this on PC, as others have said it plays like an aerial Call of Duty.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.