Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2932806 - 01/04/10 10:28 PM I'm gonna learn guitar! ?  
Jonesy8077 Offline
Jonesy8077  Offline

Dudley, West Midlands
For Christmas this year my wife brought me an electric guitar with an amp, she said that she knew it's somthing I've always wanted to learn and so here's my chance. So I've looked though the book that came with it but I'd thought I'd ask on here if anyone had any tips or links to any sites that could help me start off (slowly).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2932810 - 01/04/10 10:39 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: Jonesy8077]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Esteban.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#2932822 - 01/04/10 10:59 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Most people over look it but Youtube is a good place for tutorials.

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#2932828 - 01/04/10 11:08 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: Smosh]  
tony draper Offline
Hotshot
tony draper  Offline
Hotshot

newcastle/united kingdom
I shall offer advice I and many other probably did not follow, devote half the time on the fingerboard to learning to play the Guitar rather than learning to play particular tunes,scales finger exercises ect.
Good luck with your endeavor,and stick with it,to many guitars are bought then finish up gathering dust in the cupboard when frustration and finger tip pain set in.
Remember there is a great deal of satifaction and pleasure to be had even just sitting noodling by yourself.
Smile2
PS Agree 100% with Mr S masses of good stuff on youtube and the internet,wish I had had access to that kind of stuff in 1960

Last edited by tony draper; 01/04/10 11:13 PM.
#2932843 - 01/04/10 11:34 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: tony draper]  
Titan Offline
Titan  Offline

If you want to play metal or rock check out Doug Marks Metal Method. He has a web site and his lessons are good. I use them myself also Bill Edwards "fretboard logic"
Yes try to figure out songs by ear. Cheat with tab if you have to but by ear is the best and most satisfying.

"When the government fears its people, you have freedom,

and when people fear its government, you have tyranny."

Thomas Jefferson
#2932863 - 01/05/10 12:06 AM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: Titan]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I like this site:

Guitar Lesson World

As for fingertip pain, it WILL set in, and you will develop callouses on your fingertips that makes everything less painful.

Start by learning basic chords, then more difficult ones, and then variations of those chords. Then try to learn chord progressions, and learn which chords sound good with each other, and so on. Don't start out trying to learn a particular song just because you like it, that will make you give up when you realise you're not good enough yet wink And keep at it! Don't give up.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#2932924 - 01/05/10 02:33 AM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: semmern]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Overdrive, reverb and feedback are cathartic. It doesn't matter what you play, just play it loud!

Remove before flight
#2932947 - 01/05/10 03:53 AM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: Skycat]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I am getting back into guitar after several years away. Self taught all the way, so far. I'm sure I'll hit a wall at some point though.

My study/practice routine consists of scales, chord progressions, finger style practice, and of course some songs.

I've learned my chromatic major, and pentatonic minor in all positions. I play them up and down in each position, and each in three note step ascending/descending. This can seem boring, but pays off after a two or three months. I need to add a couple more scales to learn, now that I'm quite proficient with the two I started with.

Then chord progressions, I play up and down each of them on the major scale progressions.

Finger style, I have a book by Mark Hanson which is excellent. I'm really enjoying how this book teaches, and what I play sounds great too.

And then songs. Mostly simple songs from old books that have notation for piano, guitar, and vocal. I try to play them with chording, as well as finger style. And a couple of songs I have some tab, they are more intricate with lead and chording together. Makes me sound better than I am, hehe.

There are probably better practice sessions, I made that up myself. But it's a pleasure to play through it. I have a Squier Telecaster and a Peavey amp, both inexpensive and yet impressed me considerably.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2932997 - 01/05/10 05:42 AM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: adlabs6]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
If you have friends who play, see if y'all can get together and play. I learned a lot about strumming, rhythm, chord changes etc. especially since I have no other music background. Music is very social around here, especially bluegrass. We have weekly outdoor concerts with lots of jamming going on in the background. All the advice above is very important, but to me playing together is a great motivator, and the others will push you on.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#2933011 - 01/05/10 06:12 AM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: coasty]  
Titan Offline
Titan  Offline

coasty that's prolly the best advice so far.
all of us can play in the bedroom and think we've got it but then you get in that atmosphere and it's a whole new ball game.
i can't hear myself turn up then i can't hear them. the drummers a maniac and won't play quieter. so on and so forth but i wouldn't change a thing. band

Thomas Jefferson
#2933040 - 01/05/10 07:17 AM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: tony draper]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Originally Posted By: tony draper
I shall offer advice I and many other probably did not follow, devote half the time on the fingerboard to learning to play the Guitar rather than learning to play particular tunes,scales finger exercises ect.
So true!

Another piece of advice: ask an experienced guitar player to show you the basic techniques (how to hold a pick, how to strum, correct finger positioning, tuning...) If you learn everything from books it's all too easy to misunderstand something, and you may develop bad habits using incorrect techniques.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#2933065 - 01/05/10 09:53 AM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: Johan217]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
My 13yo daughter is teaching herself. I've offered her lessons but she says no!

After a couple of years messing around she's got a bit serious now and spends her time strumming and singing. We got her an electo-acoustic for Christmas - the look on her face was priceless. They don't smile enough at 'that' age!

Lots of good suggestions here. Make sure you enjoy it, too!

#2933098 - 01/05/10 12:53 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: tony draper]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: tony draper

Good luck with your endeavor,and stick with it,to many guitars are bought then finish up gathering dust in the cupboard when frustration and finger tip pain set in.
Remember there is a great deal of satifaction and pleasure to be had even just sitting noodling by yourself.
Smile2
PS Agree 100% with Mr S masses of good stuff on youtube and the internet,wish I had had access to that kind of stuff in 1960

Hmmm...my accoustic guitar is sitting in the corner collecting dust. I worked through the pain and had great callouses and finger strength was setting in...and then time snuck up on me and I ran out of it and got busy with other things. I'd love to pick it up again, but for the past year I've been learning piano on my full sized keyboard...and I love it! smile

Good luck! Music is a great thing to learn and play.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#2933202 - 01/05/10 04:39 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Titan Offline
Titan  Offline

some good advice i picked up from doug marks last night on his dvd. sorry i don't endorse nor get any money from them but, it's a damn good course. anyway the advice is
lets see i don't want to screw it up but, if you only put 20 min. a day you can play for say six years and only be as good as the guy that put in 40 minutes a day for three years. meaning it's not the years we play it's how much time our fingers are on the fret board.
that as always been my problem. i love the "rock star" lifestyle. groupies parties but don't put enough effort into my playing. it's amazing that i'm even in a band. lol
all in all it matters what your goals are: hobby or i want to do this for a living. then make a plan to achieve you goal. simple. smile
i just read vitesse last sentence and that is so true. learn but make sure you devote time to having fun with it too. jump around make believe heck i do that in band rehearsal too.
where's bones ? i'm sure he's got some good advice too but haven't seen a post by him.

Thomas Jefferson
#2933218 - 01/05/10 05:04 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: Titan]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Aside from playing tips, there's also the gear to consider. Don't know which guitar and amp you have, but even the best guitars can come with a crappy setup. A guitar that has poor action, poor fretwork, poorly cut nut, won't stay in tune or isn't intonated properly can lead to frustration and less motivation to continue.

I would consider having a guitar tech do a setup which may involve fret or nut work, neck/bridge/saddle adjustments and intonation.

Also, you might consider picking up a tuner not only to keep the guitar tuned, but to ensure you're tuned to concert pitch. You don't need a Peterson strobe tuner, just about any $15 Fender or what have you tuner would be a good start.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#2933221 - 01/05/10 05:11 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: DBond]  
Jonesy8077 Offline
Jonesy8077  Offline

Dudley, West Midlands
Cheers guys that's given me a hell of a lot to think about!

#2933323 - 01/05/10 07:39 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: Jonesy8077]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
agree on guitar setup. i recently got a telecaster copy as a gift and it was set up very well. my other guitar, an ibanez, was set up terribly but i had never really realized it since it was my first electric guitar.

after i lowered the action by straightening the neck with the truss rod, lowering the bridge using the bridge pegs, and adding more springs to the back (most guitars with a tremolo will come with extra springs) it plays totally differently now. my playing improved big time once i set up my guitar properly. speed went through the roof.

#2933341 - 01/05/10 08:15 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

I'm the original owner of a 1989 Martin D41 custom with master grade brazilian rosewood and grade 8 engelmann spruce top. I wouldn't really need to know how to play guitar because this thing plays itself. So my point? Make sure you get a good instrument.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#2933909 - 01/06/10 07:36 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Welcome to the guitar playing world! Always good to meet a new guitarist!

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#2934369 - 01/07/10 02:23 PM Re: I'm gonna learn guitar! ? [Re: bones]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: bones
Welcome to the guitar playing world! Always good to meet a new guitarist!

Too true, and in this age of Guitar Hero and Rock Band even more so!!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.