Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2914074 - 12/05/09 04:39 PM The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal)  
Jensen Offline
Neilist
Jensen  Offline
Neilist

Give,Denmark
I went hunting today with my neighbour and his friends. They use combination arms, typically 12 gauge/6.5x55 mm drillings from Gebrder Merkel. They only use iron sights.
The weapons are perfect for our kind of hunting, which combines pheasants, deer and fox. The latter are quite numerous here, so some kind of regulation is necessary to keep the foxes healthy

This beautifully marked male was killed from a distance of 60 meters while running, with a single shot in the throat. Someway I felt a little sad since this particular fox used to eat apples from the ground in my garden.

Jensen aka EAF331_Jens
"Stop that polish chatter, and steer 2-3-0!"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2914079 - 12/05/09 04:45 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: Jensen]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I'm not 100% sure why you'd want to post that, Jen.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#2914083 - 12/05/09 04:49 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: Jensen]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
You know, I gave up hunting years ago. I just prefer to watch animals with binoculars rather than rifle scopes.

I think the turning point for me was many years ago, we were out deer hunting and we saw this coyote running away from us. He was close, not more than a hundred yards and running straight away. An easy shot.

But what a beautiful animal! Thick winter coat with shades of red and gray and black. I saw him in my scope and had the crosshairs on him and thought "No, I can't do it". My buddy was standing right next to me and he had his rifle up also. And like me, took it down. We just looked at each other and said "That is one great looking coyote". So we let him run away, to live another day.

I don't know, maybe I've gotten soft in my old age, but I just can't do it anymore. I've hunted since I was ten or younger. A lot of years. But honestly, looking back with 20/20 hindsight, I didn't enjoy it much. I enjoyed being outdoors, camping, hiking, that stuff, but the actual hunting, no.

I remember once, we were javelina hunting and my dad was on one hillside and I was on the opposing hillside. He flushed a javelina right in front of him. I could have shot it, but I didn't. We met up later and he was fuming. "Why didn't you shoot?" I said "Dad, you were right there, I couldn't take a chance of a ricochet coming out sideways and hitting you".

Which was true. But it was also true I just didn't want to shoot it.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2914088 - 12/05/09 04:57 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: 20mm]  
Jensen Offline
Neilist
Jensen  Offline
Neilist

Give,Denmark
Originally Posted By: 20mm
You know, I gave up hunting years ago. I just prefer to watch animals with binoculars rather than rifle scopes.

I think the turning point for me was many years ago, we were out deer hunting and we saw this coyote running away from us. He was close, not more than a hundred yards and running straight away. An easy shot.

But what a beautiful animal! Thick winter coat with shades of red and gray and black. I saw him in my scope and had the crosshairs on him and thought "No, I can't do it". My buddy was standing right next to me and he had his rifle up also. And like me, took it down. We just looked at each other and said "That is one great looking coyote". So we let him run away, to live another day.

I don't know, maybe I've gotten soft in my old age, but I just can't do it anymore. I've hunted since I was ten or younger. A lot of years. But honestly, looking back with 20/20 hindsight, I didn't enjoy it much. I enjoyed being outdoors, camping, hiking, that stuff, but the actual hunting, no.

I remember once, we were javelina hunting and my dad was on one hillside and I was on the opposing hillside. He flushed a javelina right in front of him. I could have shot it, but I didn't. We met up later and he was fuming. "Why didn't you shoot?" I said "Dad, you were right there, I couldn't take a chance of a ricochet coming out sideways and hitting you".

Which was true. But it was also true I just didn't want to shoot it.

I respect that. Numerous times I havent fired my weapon. I for one prefer shooting birds and I love to eat them. I posted this because theres a lot of weapon fascination on this board, and I find the drilling quite a challenge to used. The guy who killed the fox is very skilled. We hunt in a balanced way, never take more than we can use.

Jensen aka EAF331_Jens

#2914092 - 12/05/09 05:02 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: Jensen]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
so, what will you do with the pelt?

#2914096 - 12/05/09 05:10 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Yeah me too - I've lost the fascination with killing animals - essentially when all it's for is sport. If you need the meat, require the warmth of the fur, I understand, there's a certain amount of respect and honor in those kind of killings.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#2914121 - 12/05/09 05:48 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Awesome.

So, hat and mittens?

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2914123 - 12/05/09 05:53 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: Dart]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
I should mention that my family has several hunters (my nephew just got an antelope, his second one), and they think I'm touched in the head.

lol, so be it, I don't care. It's just not in me anymore to hunt. Did it for a lot of years, but as I said it never really was anything I cared for. It's what we did back then.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2914179 - 12/05/09 07:53 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: 20mm]  
UnderTheRadar Offline
Hotshot
UnderTheRadar  Offline
Hotshot

Austin, TX
I could never kill an animal I did not need to eat.

I have gaming PCs that run everything from MS-DOS 6.22 to Windows 7 64-bit

Win7 Home Prem 64
i5-3570
ASRock HM77
XFX Radeon HD 6950 2 Gig
8 Gigs GSkill DDR3 1600
500 Gig Samsung 840 SSD
1 TB WD Black SATA II HD
Plextor 24x DVD-RW
ViewSonic VA2702w 1920x1080
HP L2206tm 1920x1080 Multi-Touch Screen
Antec Neo 550w PS
Antec Full Tower Case
Warthog 1663 w/ CH Pro Pedals
TIR4 w/ Clip
Logitech G110 KB
Razer Naga
#2914181 - 12/05/09 08:05 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: 20mm]  
Jensen Offline
Neilist
Jensen  Offline
Neilist

Give,Denmark
Originally Posted By: 20mm
I should mention that my family has several hunters (my nephew just got an antelope, his second one), and they think I'm touched in the head.

lol, so be it, I don't care. It's just not in me anymore to hunt. Did it for a lot of years, but as I said it never really was anything I cared for. It's what we did back then.

As I said I respect your point of view

Well I used to be much more into it. I posted this picture because this is a beautiful animal, which suffered dead from a bullit. So what?
It didnt deserve this, but there are definitly to many foxes around here. My friend killed it because it was the one of the purposes of our hunting day. To decimate the fox population
I also go flyfishing (which I prefer much over hunting). Sometimes I kill a trout and I eat it. But the religion here is to put all trouts back in the water. So why the h... do they fish? Ive been a game and a fish preserver all my life, but now I have to keep up with gyus saying, "its just the process, I love fishing , I could never kill a fish." Drop dead. I love trout with a good white wine.

Jensen aka EAF331_Jens

#2914182 - 12/05/09 08:07 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: Jensen]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

As a cop I had several opportunities to kill an injured deer, but someone else was always there who didn't mind.

I'd much rather shoot a deserving human.

FTX Global
#2914190 - 12/05/09 08:25 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: Dervish]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
I used to make good money back when the fur market was decent. When I was in high school (late 70s, early 80s) I could make enough during fur season to buy all my clothes the rest of the year and have some extra spending money too. A friend and I hunted together three to five nights a week back then. Then the Hollywood tree-huggers killed that industry too. A big fur market at the time was the USSR, and their economy went in the tank about the same time. Now we've got an over-population of raccoon, ringtail, fox, and coyote. Not to mention bobcats are getting pretty numerous and it isn't all that uncommon for someone to find mountain lion tracks in the area now either.

I'm not for indiscriminate killing for the sake of killing, but there is a balance to be struck. Like it or not humans are a force of nature. We've cleaned up a lot of diseases that used to keep the animal populations in check. Without a certain amount of animals harvested they will over-populate nowadays. A balanced population is a healthy one.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#2914195 - 12/05/09 08:36 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: vocatx]  
exhausted Offline
exhausted  Offline

none
20mm,

About watching them as opposed to waisting them, I think that comes with maturity. I think you've made the right decision. I love to shoot, but I don't see the point to disturbing something that is doing no harm.

But I do side with Scylla when he says he'd much rather shoot a deserving human.

Words, such as liberal and liberty, all trace their history to the Latin liber, which means "free".
#2914205 - 12/05/09 08:52 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: exhausted]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
If it had been a photo of a deer, moose, or elk that a member had taken, would some of the reactions have been the same?

Another "won't kill it except for food" guy here, BUT that rule doesn't go for vermin or overpopulations. Although depending on what I'm shooting, I might eat the vermin or overpopulated critters.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#2914237 - 12/05/09 09:48 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: NH2112]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
I've done most hunting without using a firearm or bow. That bullet in the throat isn't a great way to go, but it's better than the results from most traps or simple starvation and disease.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#2914263 - 12/05/09 10:44 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: shan2]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Yeah. I don't mind hunting - and would like to get into it. The distance between how we get our food and our what we put on our tables is very far for most of us. I'm all for population control if the control is for the benefit of the animal due to starvation or something. Thinning deer herds because someone might inconveniently run into one on a road is ridiculous though. Then again, there rarely is balance between the human species and any other species..human interests nearly always win out in the end.

Trapping has got to be the worst way to go. I can't imagine having a limb stuck in a vice for a couple days. The terror, pain and suffering I don't even like to imagine. Or animals trying to gnaw their own leg off in attempt to free themselves.

My other big point of compassion is animals that have families of their own at "home". I always hate to see a raccoon or something on the side of the road dead because I think of the family they were likely trying to get food for..and how those offspring are now likely doomed too because they won't be fed. Nature is so full of wonder and tragedy..

#2914269 - 12/05/09 11:02 PM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Managing deer population isn't all about their status as road hazards, though that does play into it. The deer don't have any natural predators since the wolves are gone in most areas. If left alone, they would exhaust the food supply, causing mass starvation for the herds.

As for the food supply, overgrazing has serious repercussions on everything from soil erosion to other critters that rely upon those plants for shelter.

edit:

The only thing I dislike about hunting is the trophy hunters. Nature's cruelty and indifference select for the hardiest and the strongest in the herd. Trophy hunters do the opposite.

Last edited by shan2; 12/05/09 11:07 PM.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#2914393 - 12/06/09 03:35 AM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: shan2]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
These little critters probably killed more deer than wolves did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochliomyia

I can remember treating livestock for screwworms when I was a kid. Nasty things.

Up to the early 1970s deer were relatively rare in my area. By the early 1980s an area less than 20 miles south of me was said to have the highest density of deer per square mile ofany place on Earth.

We enforce strict management rules on the hunters on our ranches to help keep the deer population in balance, doe vs. buck. Problem is, so many people are feeding deer now and the protein supplements practically guarantee a set of twins from each doe which is really causing a population explosion.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#2914427 - 12/06/09 04:50 AM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: Jensen]  
Ziprick Offline
Ziprick  Offline

North of 49
Photos like this should not be allowed here just as I am not allowed to post photos of a guy in woman's underwear. Both are offensive to some members. Right 20mm?

The price of doing the same old thing is far higher than the price of change.

BILL CLINTON
#2914444 - 12/06/09 05:32 AM Re: The end of a fox. (Warning dead animal) [Re: Ziprick]  
REB63 Offline
REB63  Offline

Republic of Texas
The poster DID warn you not to look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.