Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2867566 - 09/26/09 03:20 AM '9th Company: Roots of Terror' English version actually coming  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Does anyone here remember a thread or two about the Russian game 9th Company: Roots of Terror a year or so ago? It was to be an RTS about the Russian experience in Afghanistan, and while some of us were interested, it seemed to just fall off the radar.

Well, it turns out that it is coming out in an English form, courtesy of Strategy First.

http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/games/9thCompany/

Well, hurrah for that, then.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2879193 - 10/13/09 09:34 PM Re: '9th Company: Roots of Terror' English version actually coming [Re: James McKenzie-Smith]  
Gille Offline
Gille  Offline

Palmerston North, New Zealand
When I first saw the thread title I thought you were refering to the film 9th company which I have on order from here; http://www.cdwow.co.nz/DVD/9TH-COMPANY/dp/31893

Based on real events, epic war movie 9TH COMPANY follows a group of Soviet soldiers from boot camp to fighting in Afghanistan and their battle against 400 Afghan rebels on the Djardan '3234' Heights in January 1989. The 39 Soviet soldiers’ actions made them heroes in their home country. Featuring impressively realistic battle scenes, astounding cinematography, over 1,500 extras and enough military hardware to take a small country, the film is set on a grand scale. It also sheds new light on the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, a conflict that had only previously seen through Western eyes in films such as RAMBO 3 and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS.

The game looks interesting too.

#2880771 - 10/16/09 09:57 AM Re: '9th Company: Roots of Terror' English version actually coming [Re: Gille]  
Pingu Offline
Pingu  Offline

I've played the Russian version which came out in 2008. Overall its a pretty good game, though there are a few annoying aspects of the interface and the campaign is scripted so the longevity might be an issue. However the Russian version has a mission editor thats been released. Assuming it does get released by Strategy First, I thoroughly recommend it to Soviet military fans. Its not the most realistic RTS ever but overall it gives a good sense of guerrilla warfare in Afghanistan with the Soviet Army. The atmosphere of desolation and the hostile natural environment has been well captured, the sudden ambushes by the Mujaheddin are quite something. You get some sense of what it was like for Soviet conscripts fighting out there, minus the Zinc coffins and mutilated bodies of course.

#2881463 - 10/17/09 01:59 PM Re: '9th Company: Roots of Terror' English version actually coming [Re: Pingu]  
Aramsham Offline
Aramsham  Offline

Eh? I played the English version of this game this summer, it's out in small places in Europe.

Specifically, the English version of this came out, in European stores at least, the 12th of June this year.

Anyway I thought it was a pretty mediocre game, some good concepts but incredibly stupid AI and lots of bugs made it feel very average.

#2881761 - 10/17/09 11:26 PM Re: '9th Company: Roots of Terror' English version actually coming [Re: Aramsham]  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Gargantou
Eh? I played the English version of this game this summer, it's out in small places in Europe.
Specifically, the English version of this came out, in European stores at least, the 12th of June this year.

News to me. Who was the publisher? Any sign of it online?

Anyway I thought it was a pretty mediocre game, some good concepts but incredibly stupid AI and lots of bugs made it feel very average.

If it has a mission editor, I am interested, stupid AI notwithstanding. Is there a mission editor for the release that you found?

#2881766 - 10/17/09 11:41 PM Re: '9th Company: Roots of Terror' English version actually coming [Re: James McKenzie-Smith]  
Aramsham Offline
Aramsham  Offline

Originally Posted By: James McKenzie-Smith

News to me. Who was the publisher? Any sign of it online?

If it has a mission editor, I am interested, stupid AI notwithstanding. Is there a mission editor for the release that you found?
The only proof I can find of the English versions existance online is http://www.nfohump.com/index.php?switchto=nfos&menu=quicknav&item=viewnfo&id=140499 and http://www.nfohump.com/index.php?switchto=nfos&menu=quicknav&item=viewnfo&id=140665

I actually have one of those releases since I couldn't find any copy available for sale anywhere and can verify it is fully in English, that's where I got it, since it comes completely in English, features copyprotection etc I actually just assumed it was available in at least some stores and I just couldn't find'em.

I mean, how else could they get their hands on completely translated and copyprotected copies of the game?

Also, I hope this post doesn't get me banned.*Sweats*

#2881833 - 10/18/09 02:55 AM Re: '9th Company: Roots of Terror' English version actually coming [Re: Aramsham]  
Pingu Offline
Pingu  Offline

Quote:

Well I differ somewhat, there is some annoying things but the game has really grown on me. But I have a strong interest in the Soviet military. Frankly the AI may not be the greatest but its no worse than many other titles I could think of. It has certainly given me a run for my money at times. The ambushes and mass assaults by Mujaheddin can be really quite hair raising sometimes.

Quote:

The Russian version has an editor http://www.9rota-game.ru/downloads/tools, so presumably this could be translated to work for the English version. The Russian forums also have a mod which improves some aspects of the game.

I was unsure what happened to the English version of this and so I just picked up a copy of the Russian version in Moscow in 2008. I had thought they had abandoned the English release due to lack of interest in the Soviet Afghan War.

Last edited by Pingu; 10/18/09 03:00 AM.
#2913051 - 12/04/09 06:59 AM Re: '9th Company: Roots of Terror' English version actually coming [Re: James McKenzie-Smith]  
kramer Offline
Hotshot
kramer  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio

#2913844 - 12/05/09 04:51 AM Re: '9th Company: Roots of Terror' English version actually coming [Re: kramer]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

What a fantastically in depth manual...

All the information you need to do well at the game, understanding the tactical, operational and strategic situation, and a good grounding in the region's history... [/heavy sarcasm]

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.