Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#2825213 - 07/23/09 03:31 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: GrayGhost]  
Barreta Offline
Barreta  Offline

Here we go again. If we opted to take the game publisher to small claims court because the game would no longer run due to messed up copy protection we would win the case 100% of the time. CP is in no way part of the game and is a separate component. You are clutching at straws.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2825226 - 07/23/09 03:39 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: Barreta]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Do it.

--
44th VFW
#2825264 - 07/23/09 04:37 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: GrayGhost]  
Jeevz Offline
Duke of URL
Jeevz  Offline
Duke of URL
Veteran

Clermont, FL
Throw court costs into the suit and it wouldn't cost you a dime then. Better get on the phone to some lawyers. Try the ones that advertise on the back of city buses.

Commence to Jigglin'
#2825365 - 07/23/09 06:46 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: Jeevz]  
RSColonel_131st Online biggrin
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Online Biggrin
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Why not simple release a patch and remove the CP from FC? It's years old. But I guess it's easier to leave the customer with a non-working product due to the publisher's CP decision.

#2825368 - 07/23/09 06:50 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Maybe because it's still selling?
Maybe because if there's an update it would make it easier to go through the new CP?

Why not simply make people who pirate games stop pirating them instead? smile

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Why not simple release a patch and remove the CP from FC? It's years old. But I guess it's easier to leave the customer with a non-working product due to the publisher's CP decision.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 07/23/09 06:51 PM.

--
44th VFW
#2825489 - 07/23/09 09:33 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: GrayGhost]  
Lifer
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
For how much is it still selling? Arma Gold is still being sold too and BIS pulled the protection quite a time ago.

Obviously ED cares more about the "evil pirates" and how to combat them then about legitimate customers who have a coaster after upgrading to a new OS. And StarForce isn't helping either. So the customer is left with two companies both of which expect the other to fix the problem, and can't do squat.

#2825539 - 07/23/09 10:38 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
For how much is it still selling? Arma Gold is still being sold too and BIS pulled the protection quite a time ago.

ED is not BIS.

Quote:
Obviously ED cares more about the "evil pirates" and how to combat them then about legitimate customers who have a coaster after upgrading to a new OS. And StarForce isn't helping either. So the customer is left with two companies both of which expect the other to fix the problem, and can't do squat.

I'm sorry, I'll ask again ... where did you see that LOFC would work under Windows 7?
There's plenty of games that will 'still work' because you can run them on emulators - but they no longer work on new systems, either.
This notion that it must work on things it wasn't meant to is wrong; just because you're used to it doesn't mean it has to stay that way, like it or not.
Will ED repatch LOFC so the disk version can work with newer systems? No idea.

--
44th VFW
#2825758 - 07/24/09 08:08 AM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: GrayGhost]  
Lifer
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Obviously the downloaded version of FC works on W7, so don't give me the spiel. I already explained to you that the core game engine is obviously working, the "tacked on" StarForce is not, and there's no reason a customer has to accept this. There's no reason a customer of game version "download" can not have equal rights to the customer of game version "disk".

And yeah, you're right - BIS is the company that makes mass-appeal shooters with a much higher risk of piracy, not ED who make niche flight sims - and get their income from government contracts too.

So yeah, weird that BIS can do it and ED can't.

I think the point TooCool made is pretty obvious: DRM causes additional problems in an already complex windows environment, so now not only the software has to be bug free, the CP has to be too, and whenever two companies are involved in something, they tend to push blame around between them without ever getting to a fix.

#2827340 - 07/26/09 06:52 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
TooCool_12f Offline
TooCool_12f  Offline

moving around europe...
actually, there would be a simple way for ED to get around the problem.

SF used on CD is an old version, not updated...

SF used on downloaded veersion is a newer one that works.

the way out of it is simple:

users having a valid CD (you can make a small app that makes the check with the CD in the reader) get a free download with a new key so they can pass on the downloaded version, allowing them to upgrade their SF "protection" and keep playing the game they already paid for.

the download would be a "one use only" type, so if someone wanted to "publish" it on emule or torrent, they could simply block the account

they wouldn't even have to remove SF from the CD versions, the only problem being with the new CDs sold for which the buyers should be informed that their version needs that upgrade. Of course, if they make a new series of the cd, the should simply put the "downloaded version" on it...

seems to me that the hame worked on my beta (release 7000 version) of seven, in vista or xp compatibility mode...

#2827732 - 07/27/09 09:39 AM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: TooCool_12f]  
Lifer
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
TooCool, get Strike Fighters 2 Europe while you wait to have this sorted. I'm really falling in love with that game, it's certainly not as deep as Flaming Cliffs, but it's awesome for aircraft selection, tactical flight planning and campaign.

#2829472 - 07/29/09 08:31 AM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
I spent a couple of months biting my knuckles before purchasing BS, and relatively happy with the CP. English download version lets you online activate on a different computer, if you uninstall/reinstall doesn't take activation, after 4 months still on my first.
Once I created a separate gaming PC, I found that a lot of my issues with online connection disappeared. I have an image setup that I can replace on the drive (no reinstalls req'd), I turn it off when I'm done, so no worries there.
Still won't buy RoF, is dependent on good connection, but BS makes Strike Fighters look rubbish. Really, there's no comparison.
Although WoV/YAP is a worthwhile package if you're looking for Vietnam flight.

#2829506 - 07/29/09 09:40 AM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: tagTaken2]  
Lifer
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
BS isn't Strike Fighter and vice versa, but that's not a negative or bonus for either sim.

I'm sure that the avionics and flight modeling are super in BS, but SF2E comes with such rather rare aircraft as Harrier and A-7D, not to mention the Phantom, F-15A and Thunderbolt. Where else can you fly a Harrier from "improvised" highway strips or transition from a Corsair to an A-10 during the course of a campaign? Or fly for the German Luftwaffe and French Armee Del Air?

And the campaigns in Third Wire games are really something. Supply is tracked for air and ground units, number of aircraft is tracked, ground attacks can reduce both if you hit storehouses and parked AC, ground units if weakened by airstrikes will lose territory to the enemy ground units... all for 20$.

Best of all: You can take that installed game folder, copy it to a different system, and it will run there. Try this with Black Shark.

I agree that BS Activation number of 10 - if you are carefully - will last you longer than you will play that game, but my concern is if there will still be active activation servers in three, four years. If ED for any reason bites the dust you might find yourself unable to activate the game on a new machine.

#2829535 - 07/29/09 10:42 AM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Valid points.
I just couldn't deal with what I saw as lack of heart in Thirdwire products.
At the same time, I tend to play games exclusively, so BS will give way to SoW: BoB after 18 months, and so on. Longevity is less of issue for me.
In the end it comes down to what each individual is comfortable with.

#2836374 - 08/07/09 07:17 AM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: tagTaken2]  
Studenteternal Offline
Studenteternal  Offline

Texas
I am glad to hear that about BS, I have been on the fence about it for a while... I really want it, but I also really hate obstructive DRM. I can not help feeling that everyone (mostly) in the industry has it wrong way around. I am reminded of stardock's CEO (stardock, if you do not know uses no DRM at all on any of their products) telling reporters that "they do not make games for pirates" I.E. why are you letting the people who by definition will not give you money dictate policy. No one here would pirate a good flight sim just to get out of paying for it. We appreciate the work the developers do and have all together too few releases. However a random gamer who finds and "steals" it was not a sale you were going to make... But! its possible that pirate may discover he enjoys flight sims, start poking around on the internet to get some new tips and tricks, end up in a community like the one here, and become a loyal paying customer.

Perhaps this is not a terrifically likely theory, but I think it will happen more often then DRM protects a sale.

Sorry to get on my soapbox here, just wanted to throw that out there and see if it put words around how others feel.

Thanks.

#2893715 - 11/03/09 06:10 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: Studenteternal]  
TooCool_12f Offline
TooCool_12f  Offline

moving around europe...
ok, I was told here and there that the update should work if I put the game in default folder... didn't want to fiddle with it at the time ( final version of seven wasn't that far away), so I waited 'till I get the final version to do a proper install again...

result:

no way

if you use Win7, forget about FC in CD version, and anyone who claims the opposite, why not make a small video to show it?

#2898465 - 11/10/09 11:33 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: TooCool_12f]  
TooCool_12f Offline
TooCool_12f  Offline

moving around europe...
this is insane..., today, I retried to reinstall LOFC (cd version) after I don't know how many trials(been trying in various ways sincez last february), and it went on like a charm.. not a single glitch.. not even the message from windows that teh incompatible driver was disabled (possible at first) except that my external hard drive was instantly disabled. Just to be recovered with no intervention from me a few hours later (god only knows why)

now it works...

here's the procedure I followed (from a netherlands site):

- install lock on (in default folder)

don't lanch autorun automatically. open the folder, right click on it and select win xp compatibility mode and check the box to run that file as administrator. only after that launch the application.

- install flaming cliffs

same thing as lock on install: XP SP3 compatibility mode and run as admin

- install patch 1.12b

same again, compatibility mode and run as admin. For some reason it wants to install to "Eagle Dynam" folder instead of the game one. just let it go and then copy the contents to the right (eagle dynamics\Lock On\ )

- reboot when required when you launch the game first time.

- ignore the message about driver no compatible if you get one (I didn't even get that)

- update starforce with the update utility from their site

#2910272 - 11/30/09 05:27 AM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: TooCool_12f]  
Vulgarity Offline
Vulgarity  Offline

Originally Posted By: TooCool_12f
this is insane..., today, I retried to reinstall LOFC (cd version) after I don't know how many trials(been trying in various ways sincez last february), and it went on like a charm.. not a single glitch.. not even the message from windows that teh incompatible driver was disabled (possible at first) except that my external hard drive was instantly disabled. Just to be recovered with no intervention from me a few hours later (god only knows why)

now it works...

here's the procedure I followed (from a netherlands site):

- install lock on (in default folder)

don't lanch autorun automatically. open the folder, right click on it and select win xp compatibility mode and check the box to run that file as administrator. only after that launch the application.

- install flaming cliffs

same thing as lock on install: XP SP3 compatibility mode and run as admin

- install patch 1.12b

same again, compatibility mode and run as admin. For some reason it wants to install to "Eagle Dynam" folder instead of the game one. just let it go and then copy the contents to the right (eagle dynamics\Lock On\ )

- reboot when required when you launch the game first time.

- ignore the message about driver no compatible if you get one (I didn't even get that)

- update starforce with the update utility from their site

Thanks for answering my question in another thread I posted.

My money stays with me.

#2910483 - 11/30/09 03:13 PM Re: No new flightsim on the horizon without DRM? [Re: Vulgarity]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

... because an old driver made for a given OS doesn't work with a new OS and requires a workaround? ... interesting logic.

--
44th VFW
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.