billermo Offline
billermo  Offline

I'm installing WFP2 patch.

One detail is a little confusing.

There are 3 directories named:

Campaign
SimPatch
Date

Where do these 3 directories get placed?

(There's also another named Utilities but that contains Campaign Manager and Reload.exe but it's clear where those should go.)

Directions aren't exactly clear because they say to unzip any zipped files into CM11/patches but these directories aren't zipped, and directions don't say where they should be put. They must go somewhere. My guess is inside CM11/patches but I can see how it might also be possible that they're supposed to go up one level in the main RedBaron3D folder.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2872988 - 10/04/09 02:44 PM Re: WFP2 patch - placement of directories [Re: billermo]  
billermo Offline
billermo  Offline

I also just noticed this on the WFP2 download page:

* WFP is now a self extracting executable.
* Just run WFP2.exe. When asked for a directory, enter your Redbaron install directory.
* For example: C:\Sierra\RedBaron3D.
* Do not enter the CM11/patches directory!!!.
* IMPORTANT!!!! Refer to the README in CM11\paches\wfp for complete instructions on WFP setup

Here it seems to say NOT to install into the CM11 patches directory, while in the Readme directions inside the actual patch, it says that I should install into that directory.

Actually the above seems to contradict itself.

First it says to install to C:\Sierra\RedBaron3D
Next it says not to enter CM11/patches directory
Then to open CM11/patches/wfp
But the previous line said not to install WFP2 there.
So how would there be a wfp directory inside CM11/patches?

It almost seems as if 2 separate sets of instructions have got crossed up here, that the install instructions weren't properly updated for WFP2 or else that old WFP instructions were left up there when they were obsolete.

Anyway, I can't get this installed.

Also, when I try to open CM.exe I'm asked for Vbrun.dll

I remember that being a problem from way back when CM was first created -- over 10 years ago. I have no idea where to hunt that file down at this point. I'm surprised it isn't just included with the CM download by now.

#2873612 - 10/05/09 02:47 PM Re: WFP2 patch - placement of directories [Re: billermo]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Hi, I have found the following in the forums of the patch, written by 1MARK66:
It helped other people, working for me, so it should work for you too. smile

1. Load RBII

2. Upgrade with Sierra patches to 3D.

3. Drop in a glide emulator to the RedBaronII folder (I use dgVodoo 1.5 Beta2). Open RedBaron and go to Preferences. On the Realism screen, make sure "Flight Model" and "Instruments" are both set to "authentic". On the Graphics screen, make sure "Glide" and "Custom textures" are both selected.

4. Get CM11 and unzip to the RedBaronII/ folder. You will need the VBrun300.DLL file as well. Get it from the web if you don't have it and place it in the main CM11/ folder. In CM, BEFORE Adding the WFP2 patch, make sure you FIRST go into Preferences and check the box "Copy Files Based on Date"

5. DL a set of terrain textures. As PL terrains occasionally cause some misbehavior, I'd start with the OTE_3D package. Unzip to the RedBaronII/Data/3Dpatch/ folder.

6. Get WFP2 Release10 from WoH. unzip to RedBaron/CM11/Patches folder. This will create a WFP2/ folder in Patches/. Rge WFP2/ folder will have four subfolders, Campaign/, Date/, SimPatch/ and Utilities/.

7. The Utilities/ folder has a version of Reload. Not the latest, but a good working version to start with. Move the three Reload files to the RedBaronII/ folder.

8. You should now have the basics of a working RedBaron 3D upgraded to WFP2. Open CM. Go to Patches and Files. Select "Backup RB files". In the "Patches available" window you should see WFP2. Drag it to the "Patches in Use" window. Don't do anything until it finishes copying (may take several minutes). Then go to the Main Menu and select "Set Game Date". I'd suggest setting a middling date, say 1 March 1917. Once you hit 'OK' there will be another few minutes wait while CM copies the files to Simpatch/.

**Flynow test of the game to keep track of how things are going.**

9. Run Reload. Uncheck "Check Date Dir". Make the Engine Type "0 RB default" (you can go back and select the appropriate engine once you want to get going on a campaign). Then hit "Start Game" to launch RedBaron. Go to Fly now and see how things are working.

Mark66

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#2873625 - 10/05/09 02:59 PM Re: WFP2 patch - placement of directories [Re: Staniol]  
billermo Offline
billermo  Offline

Thanks.

In the meantime I found out that the copy I downloaded was old and obsolete -- from the Swissa.net site. Better is to go to Wings of Honor site for the latest version.

http://www.wingsofhonour.com/redbaron3d/...hes_uop.en.html

#2889549 - 10/28/09 04:27 PM Re: WFP2 patch - placement of directories [Re: billermo]  
Flybert Offline
WingWalkers Staff
Flybert  Offline
WingWalkers Staff

California
You are incorrect there billermo .. Wings of Honour links to the SWWISA.net download

In fact I'm going to talk to Gremming about that, he should only link to the WFP2 page, not directly link to files on SWWISA.net for download .. it obviously gives the impression there may be different versions and gives the impression Wings of Honour has permission to distribute, which they do not.

That actually goes for most of the UOP stuff at WoH .. complete and patched versions of the older UOPs are 'officially' available at http://redbaronplayers.net/uopmods1.htm

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.