Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2889215 - 10/28/09 01:37 AM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: PatrickAWilson]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
Originally Posted By: PatrickAWilson
Will they model the climbing prop or the straight and level prop? Or maybe both and introduce the first variable pitch propeller smile.

.... your kidding, right?

Gateway FX7026 Quad core 2.5GHz, 7.1 Audio, 8 gig ram
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Bose Champion-5 sound system
Samsung 2493HM LCD 24" monitor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250 w/ 1 GB GDDR3.
Direct X10
In the process of building a full size J3 Piper Cub! .. the L-4 version.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2889251 - 10/28/09 02:44 AM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: womenfly2]  
PatrickAWilson Offline
PatrickAWilson  Offline

Tx
Originally Posted By: womenfly2
Will they model the climbing prop or the straight and level prop? Or maybe both and introduce the first variable pitch propeller smile.

Mostly. There really were different props used for different tests. If you cherry pick the numbers you could get performance that just wasn't possible in any single flight.

My point is that "real life performance" has more variables than anybody is going to model any time soon. Tests were done under a variety of conditions and none were "Truth" with the capital "T". If it is reasonably close then that is fine.

#2889298 - 10/28/09 03:58 AM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: PatrickAWilson]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
And we haven't even gotten to the "safety ratings" of the actual flight manuals.

If the engine will go 2,400 RPM's before blowing on the bench, write it up as DO NOT EXCEED 2,200 RPM's!

One could always claim those as accurate, as they reflect the operational envelope as told to pilots.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2889305 - 10/28/09 04:24 AM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: Dart]  
Jimko Offline
Jimko  Offline

Vancouver Island, BC
Although I have my own impressions of the flight characteristics of some WW1 planes, particularly the Camel, I won't enter into the fray as I'm not as enamored with facts and figures as some of you are. I don't envy neoqb the task of trying to please the sim community with flight models, particularly for planes that are rare or non-existent and that have left little solid documentation to work from. Even modern well documented planes cause arguments about correct flight modeling.

However, I still have some interest in the topic and if you aren't aware of this site, it's NASA's "Quest for Performance: The Evolution of Modern Aircraft" and it's found at this link: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-468/contents.htm
The section you will find relevant to these discussions is in "Chapter 2 - Design Exploration, 1914-18." and under the heading "Fighter Aircraft".

Some very interesting facts and figures for your entertainment and discussion. Lots of comparison figures for L/D (Lift/Drag), wing loading, speeds, and much more for many WW1 planes. Use the many links in the chapter to the charts. Symbol explanations for charts are listed in Appendix B at the bottom of the Index page.

Enjoy! reading

Last edited by Jimko; 10/28/09 03:04 PM.

Jimko

"The older we are, the better we were!"
#2889320 - 10/28/09 05:27 AM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: Mogster]  
MIG77 Offline
MIG77  Offline

Finland
Originally Posted By: Mogster

I agree about the H&S changes often forced on replica builders but the memorial flight aircraft do seem to be quite close to original. I'm not sure I'd consider max level speed flying the aircraft to its limits, diving hard yes, not flying level.

I wasnt talking just about Dr.I, but for general replica aircrafts. Anyway I still dont believe they would run Oberursel to its max 1390RPM when it was not recommended to run it over 1200RPM and risk ruining very valuable engine.

Quote about from my earlier linked thread:

Quote:

The McCook's field test of a Fokker D.VIII with a Ur.II engine did record the following data:

----------------- Rated --Nominal-- Max ---------------------------------
Mfg ------ Model - BHP ---- BHP --- BHP---MaxRPM -- Notes----------------

Oberursel - Ur.II ---108 ---- 108 ---- 135 - 1390 --- Aluminum pistons

(*note: I converted it from ps x 0.9863 to bhp)

So we see that max output (@msl) for the Ur.II is almost identical to that of the leRhône 9Jb.

The next "fly in the ointment" is!!! I've found that "some" reported German speed figures appear to have come from the "nominal rated RPM" figures.

They are "NOT" the MAX speed at the MAX RPM!

This is the case of the Fokker Dr.I with U.I rotary. It appears that, with this aeroengine with the lubricating oil they were using, it was not recommended they run it above 1200rpm, the nominal rated RPM. At which level it outputs around 99bhp@msl.

I still get the Fokker Dr.I with this 99bhp@msl flying at around 109-111mph. This is with an "optimal/compromise" prop. With a "climb bias" prop these figures could go down 5-10mph. (I believe we "don't know" what kind of prop was on most of the reported speed figures)

I've seen reported figures between 108-115mph.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1. I don't see anything wrong with these reported data, given the way the data was collected.

2. The Fokker Dr.I had more in it than these reported figures show. But it could only be used for a "VERY" short time period.

By the way there are some "CLARING" anomalies in the British Air Board data.

One of them happens to be the 118.5 mph @10,000' for the leRhône powered Camel F.1. It appears to be wildly optimistic! I prefer your figure of 116mph@6500'. It looks more in line with the other available reported data.

Anyway just some thoughts.

Respectfully Submitted,

KC

You can get used to everything, but icicle in the a**. It melts before you get used to it.
#2889402 - 10/28/09 12:03 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: PatrickAWilson]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
Originally Posted By: womenfly2

Mostly. There really were different props used for different tests. If you cherry pick the numbers you could get performance that just wasn't possible in any single flight.

My point is that "real life performance" has more variables than anybody is going to model any time soon. Tests were done under a variety of conditions and none were "Truth" with the capital "T". If it is reasonably close then that is fine.

These planes, like the Dr.1 and Camel, had a prop / engine combination that produced the best combat performance possible. It pretty much stayed that way, no changing props for different flight envelopes. These were combat plane only.

I flew a Dr.1with radial engine and Fokker D.vIII with a rotary engine in RL. Both very different planes, D.vIII very stable and easy to fly vs the Dr.1 which flies like balancing a baseball bat on the end of your finger.

Cheers.

Gateway FX7026 Quad core 2.5GHz, 7.1 Audio, 8 gig ram
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Bose Champion-5 sound system
Samsung 2493HM LCD 24" monitor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250 w/ 1 GB GDDR3.
Direct X10
In the process of building a full size J3 Piper Cub! .. the L-4 version.
#2889432 - 10/28/09 01:07 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: Dart]  
PeterGrozni Offline
PeterGrozni  Offline

Originally Posted By: Dart
Peter, it's not so much a campaign for a slow DR1 so much as an effort to get a correctly modelled DR1.

The temptation for developers is to beef up the DR1 and the Camel, whether by selectively using only the most optimistic data or simply beefing it up in order to meet customer expectations. While the SimHQ crowd is pretty good at keeping subjective and objective reasoning balanced, there's an awful lot of folks that will instantly proclaim the modelling wrong if they can't reproduce MvR's or Jacob's kill count with ease in the type.

Bottom line on the DR1 is pretty clear: get into a knife fight with it at one's own risk, as it's a master at it.

I think it's grand that we will (hopefully) get the in-flight recorder at the same time as the DR1 and Camel (which is similarly susceptable to an "enhanced" flight model), as of all the planes these two will probably be the most debated as far as the FM goes.

I understand, but I don't think that you're managing a good job so far. That's why we disagree.
The performance of the Dr.I dropped more steeply than that of the other German aircraft equipped with Mercedes engines. That's why at low altitude the Dr.I and D.Va were very close in top speed, while at altitude the Albatros took over the lead. That doesn't make the Dr.I slow, it makes it slower at altitude. It's a big difference to proclaim an aircraft slower in general, as Flyretired and others try to prove.
Replicas are not very good to ascertain top speed vs original aircraft for many, rather obvious, reasons. Yet, those 100 mph quoted by Flyretired seem to be the final proof for some.
The assessments presented here of how much drag the Dr.I causes are pure guesses and yet you talk of it with certainty and as self evident.
To finish off, Flyretired posted only part of the quote from Jacobs... the part fitting to his point of view, which I find very lowly and nonconstructive to the debate.
So you see, Dart, I don't believe that such an approach to the matter of FM will bring anything but more confusion and will reinforce decades old myths.

Quote:
"...it is slower than Albatros D.V, and therefore, of little use to sneak up on the enemy at altitudes. Low down, the triplane is extremely manoeuvrable and equal to any of the English fighters."

(after a fight under 1500 m)
"When I returned to the aerodrome, I jumped into my car and drove to the site of the enemy aircraft, where we discovered the SE5 to be very new and whose American pilot had been at the front for three months and expressed astonishment at the speed of my Fokker triplane."

I scooted for our lines, sticky with fear. I vomited brandy-and-milk and bile all over my instrument panel. Yes, it was very romantic flying, people said later, like a knight errant in the clean blue sky of personal combat.
— attributed to W. W. Windstaff, an alleged pseudonym of an American pilot flying with the British RFC.
#2889443 - 10/28/09 01:24 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: PeterGrozni]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: PeterGrozni
To finish off, Flyretired posted only part of the quote from Jacobs... the part fitting to his point of view, which I find very lowly and nonconstructive to the debate.

Good grief! rolleyes

Those were the related quotes I found in the books I referenced.

This is what I love about this forum, some people think historical disagreements give them license to make personal attacks whenever they see fit.

Lowly and nonconstructive.

Who the hell are you to judge my personal convictions!

#2889460 - 10/28/09 02:12 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: FlyRetired]  
Laser Offline
Laser  Offline

The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat.

#2889477 - 10/28/09 02:45 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: Laser]  
MIG77 Offline
MIG77  Offline

Finland
Originally Posted By: Laser

The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat.

I know, I know. Two games for price of one. So much of fun biggrin

You can get used to everything, but icicle in the a**. It melts before you get used to it.
#2889487 - 10/28/09 03:03 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: FlyRetired]  
PeterGrozni Offline
PeterGrozni  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
Originally Posted By: PeterGrozni

Good grief! rolleyes

Those were the related quotes I found in the books I referenced.

This is what I love about this forum, some people think historical disagreements give them license to make personal attacks whenever they see fit.

Lowly and nonconstructive.

Who the hell are you to judge my personal convictions!

1. My comments were not meant as a personal attack. I am sorry you've perceived them as such.
2. It is not my fault that you've failed to present those quotes in full, portraying only half the picture.

I scooted for our lines, sticky with fear. I vomited brandy-and-milk and bile all over my instrument panel. Yes, it was very romantic flying, people said later, like a knight errant in the clean blue sky of personal combat.
— attributed to W. W. Windstaff, an alleged pseudonym of an American pilot flying with the British RFC.
#2889532 - 10/28/09 04:04 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: PeterGrozni]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
Peter, you need to moderate your tone a bit.

More interestingly, you mention that the Dr I was much faster low down than high up. What data do you have for this? Interested to know. Any proposal that the Dr I could reach 115 mph at sea level needs to have good evidence.

Cheers,

RD.

Last edited by RocketDog; 10/28/09 07:02 PM. Reason: complete grammatical failure

Beyond gliding distance
#2889607 - 10/28/09 05:38 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: FlyRetired]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
1) Who the hell are you to use words that best describe my own convictions on FlyRetired! I'm the one who is "Lowly and nonconstructive," and I take great umbrage having someone else given my mantle.

2)

[mod]

Keep it on point and leave the insults out.

[/mod]

Last edited by Dart; 10/28/09 07:22 PM. Reason: Clarification

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2889770 - 10/28/09 09:50 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: MIG77]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
Originally Posted By: MIG77
Originally Posted By: Mogster

I agree about the H&S changes often forced on replica builders but the memorial flight aircraft do seem to be quite close to original. I'm not sure I'd consider max level speed flying the aircraft to its limits, diving hard yes, not flying level.

I wasnt talking just about Dr.I, but for general replica aircrafts. Anyway I still dont believe they would run Oberursel to its max 1390RPM when it was not recommended to run it over 1200RPM and risk ruining very valuable engine.

But you wouldn't over rev in level flight......surely?

smile

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#2889799 - 10/28/09 10:55 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: Mogster]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Not so long as one stayed in level flight!

And there's the rub. The max RPM's of an engine isn't where one ever wants to be in sustained flight, as any increase will blow it.

From Laser:
#2890107 - 10/29/09 11:46 AM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: RocketDog]  
PeterGrozni Offline
PeterGrozni  Offline

Originally Posted By: RocketDog
Peter, you need to moderate your tone a bit.

More interestingly, you mention that the Dr I was much faster low down than high up. What data do you have for this? Interested to know.

The Dr.I performance was largely limited by its engine. MIG77 mentioned it already several times.

Originally Posted By: RocketDog
Any proposal that the Dr I could reach 115 mph at sea level needs to have good evidence.

Cheers,

RD.

The important thing in a sim is relative performance. While many seem to argue over numbers, the obvious seems to be discarded. The Dr.I was very similar in top speed to the Camel. If a frontline Camel's top speed is jugded to be near 115 mph, I see no reason not to take the 115 mph as a valid number.

#2890127 - 10/29/09 12:27 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: Dart]  
MIG77 Offline
MIG77  Offline

Finland
Originally Posted By: Dart
Not so long as one stayed in level flight!

And there's the rub. The max RPM's of an engine isn't where one ever wants to be in sustained flight, as any increase will blow it.

Also there is the fact that anything over 1200rpm starts to wear your engine much more. Im sure replica owners want to keep their rare and valuable engines best possible condition and not to harm it such a way.

#2890132 - 10/29/09 12:34 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: MIG77]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Quote:
The important thing in a sim is relative performance. While many seem to argue over numbers, the obvious seems to be discarded. The Dr.I was very similar in top speed to the Camel. If a frontline Camel's top speed is jugded to be near 115 mph, I see no reason not to take the 115 mph as a valid number.

I couldn't disagree more. When developers begin to model in order to balance planes rather than in trying to stick to the facts they've jumped the shark, IMHO. It soon becomes an arms race of improving one plane against another for the sake of "balance," which ultimately comes down to the lobbying efforts of players to the dev team.

The question is how to model planes - by the factory specs or front line averages. You tend to support front line averages - "a frontline Camel's top speed" - which means the DR1 should be slower, as they rarely flew factory fresh for very long. The 107 MPH figure that has been bandied about is beginning to sound just about right to me.

From Laser:
#2890137 - 10/29/09 12:39 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: Dart]  
MIG77 Offline
MIG77  Offline

Finland
Dart, but there is the thing that Camel perfomance was also measured from new planes/prototypes (like pretty much every other plane).

In thread that I linked earlier (or somewhere else, cannot rember just now wink ) somebody calculated that Camel and Dr.I total drag would be pretty similar (It is draggier, but its frontal area is also smaller. In lift/drag ratio it was one of best planes in WWI), so aerodynamically they should have about same top speed (depending ofcourse engine/propeller).

#2890156 - 10/29/09 01:17 PM Re: The Wonderful Fokker Dr I [Re: MIG77]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Hello,

first the question should be whether how this is modelled in RoF - how is "drag" applied ? Dynamically, meaning the faster you go the more drag is ? How are areas modelled, with which effect ?
Then at greater altitudes there is certainly less drag, due to the "thinner" air.

Or is it modelled like the good old "if - then", like behave like THIS 1 - 1000 feet, and like THAT from 1000 - 2000 feet - i guess you get the idea.

If it is modelled dynamically (which i hope), then you have to take the wings' profiles into account. The Dr.I wings were, like the Roland "Walfisch", thick in comparison to almost all allied planes. Now people always think this means that this profile has a greater drag - not so ! Instead the air can flow much better around it, even if it (as a side effect) provides better lift.

It was general (wrong) "knowledge" that all fast planes had to use thin profiles, at least that is what most of the allied constructors thought, and most german ones, until the wind tunnel tests in Goettingen. But instead the drag of three thick-profiled wings can be the same as of two thinner ones, or even better.
Question is how much of this physical modelling went into the sim. We always talk here as if the sim behaves like in reality, but it all comes down to how it is programmed.

Greetings,
Catfish

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.