Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2888651 - 10/27/09 07:23 AM War movies  
Gille Offline
Gille  Offline

Palmerston North, New Zealand
Over the weekend I saw two foreign war movies that I haven't seen mentioned here before. Both were good in their own way and I thought worth posting about.

The Star comes from the same studio that created Come and See and like that film this one ends with lines of Soviet troops marching off to war. However that is about the only similarity in the two film's. The Star is a much more conventional style of film than it's dream like predecessor. The Star is about a Russian scout unit going on a mission behind enemy lines to locate where, and what unit's the upcoming Russian offensive will face. The Russian unit is an all volunteer group with most of them being vet's. They need to use all their skill's as they attempt to succeed in their mission and avoid the German's. Interestingly the main German unit they discover disembarking is the 5th SS Viking division.
I liked this film. The characters are likeable and the action good, the weapon's looked authentic too. My main criticism's of the film would be the tacked on love interest and one odd Doom like camera sequence.

Brotherhood of war is a big budget epic set during the Korean war. It mixes family drama with unrelenting action. The film begins with happy family scenes but the war soon intrudes, and while one brother is conscripted the other brother join's up to look after him. All the new recruit's have a rapid and bloody introduction to the horrors of war in a hill top siege. As the war progresses the savagery of war is not confined to the battlefield and the brothers family and friends suffer their own horror's. While American tank's and planes are seen almost all the action is between North and South Korean's, with the Chinese coming in at the end. The battles range from the countryside to the cities but all are bloody and as in all civil wars very vicious.
I have to admit to not knowing anything about the actual korean involvement in their own war so this film was enlightening. The depiction of war is very graphic so beware.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2888653 - 10/27/09 07:47 AM Re: War movies [Re: Gille]  
Bono Offline
Bono  Offline

Seoul, South Korea
Almost (literally) all Koreans have watched the movie which was release in 2004.

Here's IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386064/

#2888853 - 10/27/09 03:51 PM Re: War movies [Re: Gille]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for the recommendations Gille and Bono. Netflix has "Brotherhood of War" so I added that to my queue but they dont have "The Star". The last Russian language film I saw about WWII was one called "Ballad of a Soldier".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2888986 - 10/27/09 07:14 PM Re: War movies [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hankmc Offline
Hotshot
Hankmc  Offline
Hotshot

NJ USA
I bought a used copy of Hiroshima and watched it last night. It was a TV special in about 1995 and it deals with the two A-Bomb drops and Japan's surrender. I guess it's not really a war movie but it has quite a bit of news reel footage of land and sea battles as well as covering the intrigue caused by the army leadership who resisted surrendering and almost succeeded in a coup attempt in the last couple of days of the war.

A very interesting historical look at Japan's last days in the war and Truman's first months as President along with the decisions he was left with when FDR died.

#2888995 - 10/27/09 07:34 PM Re: War movies [Re: Hankmc]  
Alan Smithee Offline
Alan Smithee  Offline

Zvezda (The Star) was mentioned by Wolfbiscuits in this thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2829889/1.html

I watched it a few weeks after that thread wound down and thought it was excellent on the whole though the brief segments with the female radio operator were saccharine, the effects during the strafing run at the train station were borderline risible and it had an air of propaganda to it. However, the story, setting and pacing all make it highly watchable and I have no hesitation recommending it to others.

#2901119 - 11/15/09 10:05 AM Re: War movies [Re: Alan Smithee]  
Gille Offline
Gille  Offline

I watched another Russian war film this weekend which I would highly recommend, especially due to the current situation in Afghanistan.

9th Company is a Russian film about the battle for Hill 3234, in which 39 Soviet soldiers fought against 400 Afghan Mujahedeen. The blurb on on the box compares it to Hollywood blockbusters and like some of those film's it does take major liberties with the real event's it depicts.
Despite this I was really impressed by this film. The acting is great, the cinematography is fantastic; helped by the use of real Soviet equipment and the stunning Afghanistan vistas. While the battle scenes are both savage and epic in nature .
Eerily I have a painting of the Battle of Maiwand (1880) in which a British detachment is wiped out by Afghanis just over one hundred years before a different army meet's a similar fate.

#2901194 - 11/15/09 02:45 PM Re: War movies [Re: Gille]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
I got a chance to see 9th Company... it kind of reminded me of the spec ops fighting in Transformers. Lots of flash and little realism.

#2901267 - 11/15/09 04:24 PM Re: War movies [Re: Gille]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
"Brotherhood of War" finally came in from Netflix so I'll be watching that one soon and posting up my review shortly aftwerwards.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#2901268 - 11/15/09 04:26 PM Re: War movies [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
No Treasure of the Sierra Madre?

And I had such hopes...

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2906312 - 11/23/09 06:29 AM Re: War movies [Re: Gille]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Gille
Brotherhood of war is a big budget epic set during the Korean war. It mixes family drama with unrelenting action. The film begins with happy family scenes but the war soon intrudes, and while one brother is conscripted the other brother join's up to look after him. All the new recruit's have a rapid and bloody introduction to the horrors of war in a hill top siege. As the war progresses the savagery of war is not confined to the battlefield and the brothers family and friends suffer their own horror's. While American tank's and planes are seen almost all the action is between North and South Korean's, with the Chinese coming in at the end. The battles range from the countryside to the cities but all are bloody and as in all civil wars very vicious.
I have to admit to not knowing anything about the actual korean involvement in their own war so this film was enlightening. The depiction of war is very graphic so beware.

I just watched this tonight and I have to say that I really liked it. You are right in that the depiction of war in the film was very graphic. I thought the combat scenes were fantastically well done and its not every day when you get to see F4U Corairs doing bombing and strafing runs on infantry positions. smile

The only part of the film I thought was a bit of stretch was how the older brother ended up fighting for the North Koreans and how it took him so long to recognize his brother during the final battle.

#2906419 - 11/23/09 01:36 PM Re: War movies [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hankmc Offline
Hotshot
Hankmc  Offline
Hotshot

NJ USA
Panzer, add this one to your list of must see films. Tunes of Glory with Alec Guinness and John Mills.

A great story of peacetime army life with an interesting look at military customs in Scotland and an all star cast of character actors.

#2906426 - 11/23/09 02:11 PM Re: War movies [Re: Hankmc]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BookKeeper
Unregistered

Ice Cold In Alex, John Mills again. Daring-do, 1950's styleee.

#2906435 - 11/23/09 02:32 PM Re: War movies [Re: ]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.

Lule/Norrbotten/Sweden
No Man's Land.

Not your average war movie, but still very good.

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#2906455 - 11/23/09 03:22 PM Re: War movies [Re: Hankmc]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Hankmc
Panzer, add this one to your list of must see films. Tunes of Glory with Alec Guinness and John Mills.

A great story of peacetime army life with an interesting look at military customs in Scotland and an all star cast of character actors.

Thanks for the recommendation but I have already seen it! I saw it for the first time about a year ago and I loved it. Alec Guinness is such a great actor and it never ceases to amaze me how many different types of roles he played.

#2909605 - 11/28/09 06:31 PM Re: War movies [Re: Gille]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I would like to know what our Korean members of SimHQ think about "brotherhood of war". As an American the movie had a compelling emotional impact on me but I stil feel like maybe I missed out on something because I'm not Korean.

#2988583 - 04/03/10 08:03 AM Re: War movies [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Gille Offline
Gille  Offline

I watched The Warlords recently and really enjoyed it. Even though it stars Jet Li it's not a martial arts film. It covers the battles and politics involved in a Chinese civil war (1890's I think). Three blood brothers fight not only the enemy but also their corrupt political leaders and are forced to make tough moral choices.

The horrors of a civil war breaking up families and friends, the famine and starvation that result and epic battle scenes make for a fantastic film.

Though I watched it on DVD the picture quality was astounding, I thought I was watching a Blue way disc on my PS3.

I've seen Red Cliff as well but I thought Warlords was the better of the two.

#2988619 - 04/03/10 11:59 AM Re: War movies [Re: Gille]  
Hankmc Offline
Hotshot
Hankmc  Offline
Hotshot

NJ USA
Zwartboek...Black Book. An interesting sub-titled film about the Dutch resistance in WWll directed by Paul Verhoeven.

#2988620 - 04/03/10 12:04 PM Re: War movies [Re: Hankmc]  
Cicero Offline
Cicero  Offline

Glasgow ,Scotland
I watched 'Guadalcanal Diary' last night. Never seen it before. I really liked it. It fells a bit grittier than a lot of other films of the era and it doesn't seem to pull its punches quite as much either. Recommended.

#2988637 - 04/03/10 12:59 PM Re: War movies [Re: Cicero]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
HankMC, if you liked Zwartboek do watch "Soldier of Orange" as well (in case you hadn't done so). IMHO it's many times better than Zwartboek.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#2988661 - 04/03/10 01:59 PM Re: War movies [Re: Gille]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: Gille
Over the weekend I saw two foreign war movies that I haven't seen mentioned here before. Both were good in their own way and I thought worth posting about.

The Star comes from the same studio that created Come and See and like that film this one ends with lines of Soviet troops marching off to war. However that is about the only similarity in the two film's. The Star is a much more conventional style of film than it's dream like predecessor. The Star is about a Russian scout unit going on a mission behind enemy lines to locate where, and what unit's the upcoming Russian offensive will face. The Russian unit is an all volunteer group with most of them being vet's. They need to use all their skill's as they attempt to succeed in their mission and avoid the German's. Interestingly the main German unit they discover disembarking is the 5th SS Viking division.
I liked this film. The characters are likeable and the action good, the weapon's looked authentic too. My main criticism's of the film would be the tacked on love interest and one odd Doom like camera sequence.

I watched "Come and See." We left the theater shellshocked - definitely a powerful film. I never heard of The Star so I will try and see this film. thanks for the info!

I watched Brotherhood a few years back. It was fair, but worth seeing from the perspective of being made by SK.

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.