Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#2883838 - 10/21/09 11:49 AM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Aramsham]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Oh please, don't fabricate things that were never said.

So again I'll state, get used to it.

This thread is about what, calling Activision idiots for their decisions?

In fact I don't see anything in what Activision has planned that threatens my ability to enjoy Modern Warfare 2 just fine. So if I can find a Modern Warfare 2 game session, and join in, and have fun with it just fine, tell me where I have to buy into this "Activision, what idiots" thinking!

Tell me how I or many millions of other gamers who will buy and enjoy Modern Warfare 2 need get worked up about any of this.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2883851 - 10/21/09 12:07 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: FlyRetired]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Have you played OPF2 online? Without dedicated servers it's terrible and I can't find a game below a ping of 600. The SP COD games are good for one play through (only lasting a few hours) and then the meat was in the MP, without dedicated servers it's unplayable.

It's not neccesarily about MW2 though why people are angry, it's about the u-turn against PC games. Codemasters did it with OFP2 and IW brought out special editions of MW2 for the consoles but nothing for the PC and then we find out they can't be bothered to add dedicated servers because console players don't want them. We are an after thought now and have to take the scraps from the consoles table.

As I said before I don't think we will have PC games in 10 years. Xbox and PS have massive marketing machines to push their barnds the PC has none. Game devs now know they can turn out a half arsed game and console players will lap it up if it has some flashing lights and big bangs and is in no way taxing, easy money.

I am not buying MW2 because of the attitude of IW but I know they won't care if millions don't buy it as it will just make it an easier option for them to say 'screw the PC', well 'screw IW' they won't get my money.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#2883854 - 10/21/09 12:24 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: FlyRetired]  
Aramsham Offline
Aramsham  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
Oh please, don't fabricate things that were never said.
Where did I fabricate something, and what was it I fabricated?

Did you even check the links I provided? OnLive is nothing that's been proven to be a solid concept, it's still in a testing phase, it might very well crash and burn.

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33

It's sad but that's the way it is, console's are where the money's at, exceptions being genres like Simulation, MMORPG and RTS.

What makes things worse is that piracy is far more prevalent on PC than on consoles, which further decreases the wish of the big publishers to invest a lot of time into the PC versions.

Sure, the XB360's been cracked for a while so you can pirate games on that, but the PS3's been out for over three years and it's still uncracked and you can't pirate on it.

I disagree with the part you say about half-assed games, that's not the problem, console gamers are no 'less' picky than your average PC gamer, to prove this I point to the fact that The Sims are the best-selling PC series of all time, THE SIMS for crying out loud. the problem is the ease of pirating on the PC coupled with more work than on the console versions. For the PC you have to optimize it for several different setups, even different OSes etc, then you have to choose a third-party copyprotection solution.

In the end, it's a bad spiral IMO, publishers feel no need to give PC gamers as much support since they're(generally) smaller than the console gamers, this in turn leads to PC gamers abandoning the publishers PC ports, which in turns lead to the publishers feeling even less need, and so it goes on.

And generally, it appears most companies have a very hard time striking a good balance, Valve has done a great job with free updates etc on the PC, but done very poorly with it on the 360/PS3 versions of their games.

#2883906 - 10/21/09 01:34 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Aramsham]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

I've played lousy sessions on dedicated servers, so isn't it always about the hardware and the connection. ???

I don't own a console either, just been constantly buying, upgrading, buying, and upgrading PCs now for over a dozen years, to basically play what, $50 games?

There is platform bias certainly, and now I'm personally getting tired of spending thousands of dollars on PC hardware that's disproportionate to what's needed for a similar experience console gamers are enjoying.

Never stated OnLive was the only future, but then again some of the very game companies who service this industry have invested hundred of millions of dollars in it, the latest amount reported at $500 million USD. That's half a billion dollars (I'll take that bet).

Quite the opposite to a previously stated opinion, if games go console-only in the future, or, become accessable on multi-platform hardware, like through gaming services such as OnLive, I'll be considering the move.

I'm almost there now.

#2886274 - 10/23/09 04:32 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: FlyRetired]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Just another reason why I prefer MP gaming on XBox 360/Live.

I was planning to also buy the PC version of this (like I did with CoD4) but I'll pass.

Hard to believe that Treyarch has the upper hand over IW when it comes to how they handle MP. The MP aspect of CoD:WaW has it all over the MP aspect of CoD4 (at least on the 360).

Personally, I've all but abandoned gaming on my PC (despite just ordering a new PC). I do 90% of my gaming on my 360 and I don't really miss the PC at all. The constant upgrading/patching/hacking/cheating etc. grew very old and tired (not to mention expensive as a mo'f).

Last edited by LeemzHQ; 10/23/09 04:32 PM.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
Edgar Allan Poe
#2886588 - 10/24/09 12:10 AM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: LeemzHQ]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Quite frankly, anyone who doesn't understand the problem with not having dedicated servers obviously doesn't understand the networking behind it and the benefits it gives.

Whilst a lot of people will claim their own individual enjoyment will not diminish, there are probably more who say it will.....there are also a lot of people who will only realise how good dedicated servers are when they don't have it.....and then the penny will drop.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#2886614 - 10/24/09 01:06 AM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Paradaz]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
You know, they continue this kind of crap, and it will hurt the PC industry. I don't know how much of PC sales go to gamers, but I know it's a huge chunk of the market. They stop making PC games, I stop buying new computers. Me and a whole lot of other people. Not out of spite, I just won't have any reason to.
I wouldn't need this rig I've got unless I was going to game on it. And I wouldn't have bought that 200 dollar video card and I wouldn't have doubled the RAMM!
We spend a lot of money on gaming, and it's not just on games.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#2886667 - 10/24/09 03:16 AM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Pooch]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
This is why I've migrated to the 360. I used to spend a fortune on PC hardware. Between $800-$1200 every year on major upgrades or a new system every 12-18 months. And then another $800 or so on software (games). And for what? Only to find out that the video card I bought 6 months ago is obsolete. Or the game I bought is a bug-ridden mess that needs 3 patches just to run? I don't think so.

I've had two 360's die on me, lucky both were under warranty, but even if they weren't it'd STILL be worth it to replace them compared to what I used to spend on my PC. Making the switch to the console is the best (and cheapest) gaming decision I've ever made. I could buy a new 360 every 6 months and it'd still be cheaper than what I used to spend on my PC every year.

People that say they'd rather stop gaming than play on a console, I just don't understand it. Hard for me to consider anyone a "gamer" if they only are interested in PC's. There are a LOT of good games out there that play on consoles and many excellent games are console exclusives.

I just ordered an entry-level PC out of necessity, my current one is 5+ years old. This next one will last me at least that long, maybe longer. The days of me spending a small fortune on a box to mostly do nothing but surf the web and have e-mail is over.

And the decision gets easier when game developers take away features like dedicated servers on games that are heavily MP dependent like the CoD series.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
Edgar Allan Poe
#2887015 - 10/24/09 06:27 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Aramsham]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
awesome...just another way to divide the PC/Console crowds

it seems more and more games that are developed on the console are starting to have less and less features for the PC. I don't think I'll ever buy another console port.

You would think they'd try to make console and PC multiplayer compatible so no matter what system you're running you can still play the same game together; but I have a feeling the console makers and hardware manufactures they use wouldn't like that all too much.

what a shame

Originally Posted By: LeemzHQ
People that say they'd rather stop gaming than play on a console, I just don't understand it. Hard for me to consider anyone a "gamer" if they only are interested in PC's. There are a LOT of good games out there that play on consoles and many excellent games are console exclusives.

oh IDK...better graphics, mods, customization, better controllers (at least IMO), flight sims, I can do more than one thing on a PC...I also like to tweak hardware and try to get the most performance out of it. I realize this isn't for everyone; but for the people that actually use PC's to their full potential I'll be damned if I'm going to down-grade to a console just so I can play a game that typically would look/play better if on a PC

Last edited by NoUseForAName; 10/24/09 06:34 PM.
#2887064 - 10/24/09 08:44 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: LeemzHQ]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: LeemzHQ

I don't want to sit in fornt of my TV squinting to see what something is whilst trying to aim a gun with a thumbstick is not my idea of fun. You wouldn't sit down at the PC and play an infantryman and control him with a joystick but that is what playing with a console controller is like.

I had an Xbox 360 and sold it in 3 weeks, the games just couldn't hold my attention and I felt so insular and 'alone'. Play MP you may say? I am not going to pay for broadband in my house and then on top of that have to pay for Xbox Live to play online on a console when I can play the MP portion of my games on PC for free.

Somebody said they would not play another console port, well you may as well stop playing because they will all be console ports before they stop bothering altogether.

I will keep the games I have and play on my PC. I will not get a console ever again, my 10 year old son does not like consoles either and plays on the PC as he said as well that the games are not as good on consoles.

Consoles have killed PC games and I will go down on the bridge of the good ship PC Gamer if that what I have to do. Maybe we should change the site name to ConsoleHQ?.....

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#2887168 - 10/24/09 11:48 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Mace71]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
When I got my first console I HATED using the controller for anything other than sports titles. In fact, the only reason I bought the console was for sports games. FPS games take some getting used to with a controller (and it may be more than 3 weeks for some people) but eventually you DO get used to it. NO ONE on the planet was more dead set against using a gamepad for FPS games than I was. I mean, I was absolutely adamant about it. But, over time, I got used to it and now it's second nature.

I don't think I'll ever game on a PC like I used to back in the "good ol' days". Sure, I'd still rather have a mouse and keyboard but I really don't miss it.

Edgar Allan Poe
#2887354 - 10/25/09 10:29 AM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Paradaz]  
Aramsham Offline
Aramsham  Offline

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
Quite frankly, anyone who doesn't understand the problem with not having dedicated servers obviously doesn't understand the networking behind it and the benefits it gives.

Whilst a lot of people will claim their own individual enjoyment will not diminish, there are probably more who say it will.....there are also a lot of people who will only realise how good dedicated servers are when they don't have it.....and then the penny will drop.
Same but I'm still not sure about buying a new PC, I mean most if not all games come to either the PS3 or the 360 as well these days, and buying a new gaming PC for just like ten or so games that's coming out in 2010 just doesn't seem worth it.

If I won the lottery though, daaaamn dude, I'd buy myself one of those super-rigs from Alienware for 60 grand.*Dreams*

#2887429 - 10/25/09 01:54 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: FlyRetired]  
FLGibsonJr Offline
FLGibsonJr  Offline

Clinton Township, MI USA
FlyRetired,

This action may not effect you and the console users, but it does effect millions of PC players very negatively. Players who have bought these games, developed communities around them, dramatically improved the games, are now being asked in our terms to go back to the stoneage in gaming.

They knew their actions would be very detrimental to millions in their loyal base and they hid them to the very last, letting hundreds of thousands of people pre-order and set up dedicated servers etc., then at the last minute dropping this bombshell on what were there loyal customers.

Regards,

FLGibsonJr

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 Motherboard
EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked GPU
BFG ES-800 Watt PS
Corsair 6GB XMS 1600 DDR3 Memory
250 GB Samsung 850 EVO Series SSD
2 TB Western Digital HD
Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS
Viewsonic 24" 1080P Monitor
#2887436 - 10/25/09 02:02 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: FlyRetired]  
FLGibsonJr Offline
FLGibsonJr  Offline

Clinton Township, MI USA
FlyRetired,

The thing is consoles do not provide near the same quality and experience of MP in these type of games that you can get through the PC, dedicated servers, mods, clans, squads, tournaments, etc.

They want PC Gamers to go back several generations of gaming to something much more basic. I am just not willing to go backwards that far and keep paying the money that I do. If this takes over PC Gaming, I am truly out of it.

Regards,

FLGibsonJr

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
BFG ES-800 Watt PS
2 TB Western Digital HD
#2887502 - 10/25/09 04:08 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: FLGibsonJr]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

I do have sympathy for those who are in clans and meet regularly on their own servers.

It'll be interesting to note the MW2 sales figures overall, and would be worth a study of the copies sold comparing MW and MW2 at certain intervals.

I'd guess the calculations about the bottom line, always depend on the bottom line.

#2887685 - 10/25/09 09:23 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: FlyRetired]  
FLGibsonJr Offline
FLGibsonJr  Offline

Clinton Township, MI USA
Interesting to see the competition react. EA/Dice is out there saying they would not treat the gaming community like Activision/IW, so perhaps this attack by Activision/IW will get us better support for upcoming PC Battlefield games.

Whatever the case, it seems that PC Gaming will depend on non-US based companies in the future. The US based companies on the most part are making console games and porting them over to PC, which in the end gets you a sub-standard PC game. Most of the exciting PC Games are coming from overseas.

Regards,

FLGibsonJr

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
BFG ES-800 Watt PS
2 TB Western Digital HD
#2887717 - 10/25/09 10:28 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: FLGibsonJr]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: FLGibsonJr
Interesting to see the competition react. EA/Dice is out there saying they would not treat the gaming community like Activision/IW, so perhaps this attack by Activision/IW will get us better support for upcoming PC Battlefield games.

Whatever the case, it seems that PC Gaming will depend on non-US based companies in the future. The US based companies on the most part are making console games and porting them over to PC, which in the end gets you a sub-standard PC game. Most of the exciting PC Games are coming from overseas.

Regards,

Yeah right, when EA/Dice release BF1943 on consoles first... Comes to something when EA are saying the customers are being treated badly lol smile

#2888042 - 10/26/09 02:02 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Mace71]  
Aramsham Offline
Aramsham  Offline

Regards,

Yeah right, when EA/Dice release BF1943 on consoles first... Comes to something when EA are saying the customers are being treated badly lol smile
What does BF1943 being released first on the consoles have to do with anything? It's a smart business decision, and BF1943 isn't like a sequel or anything, it's a pretty small game.

FYI, Battlefield 3 is in fact being developed for PC first and foremost, I'm well aware that it hasn't been announced but when you live in the same city as DICE Sweden, and am a big gaming fan and know people, you hear quite a few things.

Activision-Blizzard is far worse than EA these days, EA have actually done a lot of quality titles recently IMO, Dead Space comes to mind as one of my top-favorites.

And if you dislike EA for making BF1943 for consoles first, then you obviously either do not understand how our capitalist society works, or do not like capitalism.

EA is in the end a company like any other, with its main goal being keeping the company alive and well, and generating enough money to fund the development of new products, considering there's a far more substantial gamerbase on consoles these days than on PC, it makes perfect sense to prioritize making the console version first, then making a PC version.

And EA seems to try to take the route of rather than simply porting the console version ala Activision, they're actually making each version custom-tailored to each platform, for example the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins is very different from the console versions.

#2888310 - 10/26/09 07:30 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Aramsham]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Gargantou

Regards,

What does BF1943 being released first on the consoles have to do with anything?

Well, pal, it has to do with my point of games publishers making games for consoles and then porting them across to PC....to do with PC taking a back seat to consoles....to do with I can have my opinion and say what the hell I like, called freedom of speech. Or maybe you dont understand how our democratic society works, or do not like democracy.

I don't give toss about sound business decisions I only care about having to take the crumbs from the consoles table which I am sick of saying and really am tired of this debate and am going to have to accept the innevitable.

And by the way do you work for DICE? Because you certainly sound like you do.

Last edited by MaceUK33; 10/26/09 07:30 PM.

#2888451 - 10/26/09 11:05 PM Re: Activision, what idiots... CoD MW2... [Re: Mace71]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

You know, I've played the COD series from the beginning because they're lots of fun.

I wouldn't argue about them being realistic, or for using proper tactics in them.

Should I be considered a console-minded zombie because I look forward to playing MW or WAW today just for the "action". I think not, I don't own a console.

I don't really get how people see the COD games being anything other than a great looking series, rich in cinematics, and with fast-paced shooter action, which has shown to be a very successful retail game formula.

As far as I can tell, the COD formula sounds like it works just fine for guys playing the series on consoles too.

Maybe I haven't been taking my playtime in Call Of Duty serious enough, but then again, that's probably why I've had so much fun.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.