Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#2883384 - 10/20/09 06:04 PM Re: To bring down an Apache gunship... [Re: cambion]  
Alan Smithee Offline
Alan Smithee  Offline

Originally Posted By: cambion
10ft AGL in a civilian backyard does sound unlikely.

Really? How about 5ft above a taxi? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/8317204.stm

Originally Posted By: cambion
It reminds me of a complaint to the RAF once, where someone complained about low-flying Tornado's passing under their washing line.

I guess in both cases, the person making the complaint has every right to be annoyed, but to exaggerate the details too much just makes them appear ignorant.

Equally the notion that members of the military are always fine, responsible, upstanding folks whose behaviour is above criticism and beyond reproach.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2883423 - 10/20/09 06:48 PM Re: To bring down an Apache gunship... [Re: Alan Smithee]  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Oh dear.... it's the Daily Mail.... I hate to tell you guys, but their standards of journalism is right up there with the Sun and the Mirror... i.e. most of its made up.... and they hope it sticks. For one.... can any one tell me the exact number of Apaches the RAF own ? Because I will tell you now...... its a big fat ZERO. Yup.. ZERO.... so this article is off to a really good start isnt it.... The UK does own Apache helicopters, except its the Army Air Corps, not the RAF.

Now, just because the Daily Mail has taken a photo with this old person holding that torch doesn't mean thats the one... again, the Daily Mail likes to exagerate its stories quite a bit.. it probably was something a little more beefy than that for starters... plus shining a light at the pilot himself is never a good start.... and I highly doubt it was even as low as 10ft such is the standard of some of this papers reporting... they may have conveniently missed a zero off the end of that for convenience sake....

I remember a simular story that one of the above mentioned papers ran about a Tornado almost firing a sidewinder at a mobile police camera because it classed the speed camera laser as a threat.... I haven't laughed so hard in my life with teh amount of inaccuracies in that story, this story probably has a few in it as well.

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#2883445 - 10/20/09 07:21 PM Re: To bring down an Apache gunship... [Re: valleyboy]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: valleyboy

Now, just because the Daily Mail has taken a photo with this old person holding that torch doesn't mean thats the one... again, the Daily Mail likes to exagerate its stories quite a bit.. it probably was something a little more beefy than that for starters... plus shining a light at the pilot himself is never a good start.... and I highly doubt it was even as low as 10ft such is the standard of some of this papers reporting... they may have conveniently missed a zero off the end of that for convenience sake....

My thoughts exactly. I'll surmise this cranky old guy was shining something quite powerful, and intentionally kept shining it into the pilots face. Additionally, it probably didn't happen on his property either.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.