Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2869496 - 09/29/09 01:24 PM 1946 - cant install, cant open DVD  
Skybird Offline
Skybird  Offline

I just picked up a new copy of IL2 1946 for smile price (5 Euros), German version. It's a jewel case edition.

Installation not possible, for autoplay fails to function.

Opening the DVD too find and use the often mentioned file "a" to start installation is not possible, since I cannot open the DVD - double clicking on it makes all desktop icons flash one time, and that's it. I cannot open the DVD.

Is this the crappy copy proteciton of theirs at work? Have I wasted my money while they mistook copy protection with working protection?

WinXP, Avira AntiVir(switched off for installation), Comodo Firewall.

Last edited by Skybird; 09/29/09 01:25 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2869524 - 09/29/09 02:01 PM Re: 1946 - cant install, cant open DVD [Re: Skybird]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Try it in a different drive if possible as yours may just be having issues reading the disc.

#2869540 - 09/29/09 02:17 PM Re: 1946 - cant install, cant open DVD [Re: ]  
Skybird Offline
Skybird  Offline

Thank you, but I would not start hardware changes just for a 5 euro game (that I knew from the four single titles in combined installation anyway, I just bought 1946 to have an easier installation routine), even less so when my system works stable in all other ways. the DVD drive is just 5 months old, and no exotic piece, nor anything special or atypical.

However, the problem has become irrelevant meanwhile, since in a moment of robust temper I just have broken the DVD after it started to rotate endlessly, forcing me to reboot the system each time it did.

Problem solved in a Klingon way. The issue feels much better this way, at the price of two cups of coffee. If that is not a steal!

No need for further helps, guys, but thanks again. Lesson learned today: not only avoid anything which has "Starforce" printed on it, but make a huge evasive manouver if it reads "SecuRom" as well.

Last edited by Skybird; 09/29/09 02:19 PM.
#2869563 - 09/29/09 02:47 PM Re: 1946 - cant install, cant open DVD [Re: Skybird]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Skybird
Thank you, but I would not start hardware changes just for a 5 euro game (that I knew from the four single titles in combined installation anyway, I just bought 1946 to have an easier installation routine), even less so when my system works stable in all other ways. the DVD drive is just 5 months old, and no exotic piece, nor anything special or atypical.

I didn;t specifically mention changing hardware as some people have other systems where they can test a disc. Due to the high volume production of discs and drives there will always be issues such as you have had and in my experience it is usually down to an incompatability between disc and drive.

Quote:
However, the problem has become irrelevant meanwhile, since in a moment of robust temper I just have broken the DVD after it started to rotate endlessly, forcing me to reboot the system each time it did.

Problem solved in a Klingon way. The issue feels much better this way, at the price of two cups of coffee. If that is not a steal!

No need for further helps, guys, but thanks again. Lesson learned today: not only avoid anything which has "Starforce" printed on it, but make a huge evasive manouver if it reads "SecuRom" as well.

Not going to argue, but you'd have been better buying it from Gog.com anyway smile

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.