Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2860543 - 09/14/09 09:35 PM Albatros DIII cockpit off center?  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
guys!

Just want to know if it is intended to have the pilot view in the DIII off the center position towards the left? Looks a bit odd. In the external view the pilot seems to sit in the middle as he should. Anyway to center the view? Haven't managed to move the cockpit view around to where i like it to be. It always jumps to a certain position, which is off the middle too.

Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2860564 - 09/14/09 10:35 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: VF-2 John Banks]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
You have the ability to "set" your cockpit view (and indeed any other view) for each individual aircraft and sometimes they come adrift and need to be reset.

Go into ROF and choose Mission / Free Fly / Albatross DIII / Take Off ... once in the cockpit make sure your Track IR is off (if you have it) and press and hold the Numpad 5 key, that's the key for the default cockpit view. While holding it down, use your mouse and the view movement keys (Home, End, Delete, PgUp, PgDwn, Insert) to position your view to where you want it. You can also use the NumPad + and - keys to zoom the view to your preference.

Then, while still holding down the 5 key, press F10 ... that will set the Cockpit view for that aircraft.

In the confusion of a dogfight it's easy to hit the wrong keys and end up with a view you don't like.

WH_JoeBob

I'm a Chickenhawk and you're my victim, ya gonna come along quiet or do I gotta muss ya up?
#2860604 - 09/14/09 11:38 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

Galw'r heddlu!

#2860619 - 09/15/09 12:00 AM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: catch]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Sorry, I'm not following ... yes, yes, I know ... "Call the Police" ... but why? I know I'm getting older (substantially so in fact) but have I missed some new cultural reference?

WH_JoeBob

I'm a Chickenhawk and you're my victim, ya gonna come along quiet or do I gotta muss ya up?
#2860653 - 09/15/09 01:04 AM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
Mae’n ddrwg gyda fi .... Rydw i'n dysgu Cymraeg frown Ti'n siarad Cymraeg ?

#2860674 - 09/15/09 01:58 AM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: VF-2 John Banks]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

Originally Posted By: VF-2 John Banks
guys!

Just want to know if it is intended to have the pilot view in the DIII off the center position towards the left? Looks a bit odd. In the external view the pilot seems to sit in the middle as he should. Anyway to center the view? Haven't managed to move the cockpit view around to where i like it to be. It always jumps to a certain position, which is off the middle too.

The simple answer to your question is yes. It looks like the developers did this so you can see the convergence point of the tracers. If you like, you can use the ins/home/pageup/del/end/pagedown keys to reposition your view and press f10 to save it. 5 key in numpad will get you that view everytime you press it. Cheers mate.

#2860905 - 09/15/09 02:04 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
Atelophobia Offline
Atelophobia  Offline

Germany / Bavaria
Finally! Thank you WH_JoeBob for describing in detail. I often just read "keys above arrow keys" and F10 to save. But nothing happened. I ll try the Num5 Key this evening.

Some additional questions:

- can you reset the view to the game's defaults view
- since 1006 mapping Zoom function on Stick buttons or axis doesnt work anymore. We have to use joy2key now and map it to +/- any ideas?
- how am I supposed to aim with Se5a? With the center of the "empty" iron sight? With the top needle of it? In conjunction with the knob on the engine?
- how am I supposed to aim with the german pressure cap exactly. Should let the target "sit on" the cap or cover the target with the cap. How can I make sure that im directly sitting behind cap not making aiming errors?

#2860979 - 09/15/09 03:39 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: Atelophobia]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Originally Posted By: Atelophobia
Finally! Thank you WH_JoeBob for describing in detail. I often just read "keys above arrow keys" and F10 to save. But nothing happened. I ll try the Num5 Key this evening.
No problem, be advised that you may have to reset your views from time to time, I noticed last night that my SE5a views were all messed up. NewQB did fix the views in the last patch but apparently with sufficient turning and burning and TrackIR it appears that they can get changed. Once you get the hang of setting the views it's a matter of moments to reset them.

Quote:
Some additional questions:

- can you reset the view to the game's defaults view
I don't think the game "remembers" the game default view, but since you can set the view to anything you like I'm not sure why that would matter.

Quote:
- since 1006 mapping Zoom function on Stick buttons or axis doesnt work anymore. We have to use joy2key now and map it to +/- any ideas?
I have no idea what you're talking about smile I use a Saitek X52 and I've programmed the slider switch on the throttle to zoom in and out. That way, if the view is messed up, I can generally compensate by just zooming out. I don't know what the 1006 function is.

Quote:
- how am I supposed to aim with Se5a? With the center of the "empty" iron sight? With the top needle of it? In conjunction with the knob on the engine?
It's a challenge smile ... seriously you can do a couple of things. You can set the 5 view to line up with the bead and ring sight they recently put on the SE5a. That's not my favorite because it feels weird to have my view that far off to the side. You could also line your 5 view up vertically with the bead and ring sight and then just reposition it horizontally so that your view was on the same level as the bead and ring sight but centered on the cowling. Honestly, at the ranges we're talking about in the game, it probably doesn't make that much difference ... but if you're trying to be a sharpshooter you can also set a special view (I use the numpad 8 key) for a special "gunsight" view that's centered on the bead and ring sight and zoomed in.

Quote:
- how am I supposed to aim with the german pressure cap exactly. Should let the target "sit on" the cap or cover the target with the cap. How can I make sure that im directly sitting behind cap not making aiming errors?
I generally try to cover the target with the radiator cap. Again, line up the view with the sights on the machine guns vertically and then move the view horizontally. And, again, you may want to create a special gunsight view since the vertical line up method on the Albatross (and maybe all the German aircraft, I haven't checked) is unpleasing to me in that the radiator cap is sitting right on the top of the cockpit and I feel like it's cutting off my view.

One of the things that I found helpful is to strafe trees smile ... Just dive down and aim at a given tree and see where your rounds are hitting. Given the way these machines move around and at the ranges we're talking about it's usually not necessary or even possible to get dead aim on, for example, the pilot for the entire burst. Just get close, then get closer as all the great aces said.

I might also recomment my Drone Mission that I posted some time back. I allows you practice against non manuvering targets to your hearts content.

WH_JoeBob

#2860987 - 09/15/09 03:52 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: catch]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
I THINK you're asking me if I know Welsh ... no, but I do know Google smile

And I'm still not sure why the police would need to be involved.

WH_JoeBob

#2861062 - 09/15/09 05:19 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
Atelophobia Offline
Atelophobia  Offline

Germany / Bavaria
Thanks a lot WH_JoeBob!

I ll use your input within the next days!

Just a quick note: 1006... I was talking about patch 1.006
Since this patch I cant use my slider/rotary for zooming in and out anymore. Can't assign it to another joystick axis either. Same happened to my "button based zoom" mapped on fire buttons.

#2861114 - 09/15/09 06:46 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: Atelophobia]  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
I tried to set the view the way Bob described it but it doesn't work. The view always jumps too far. I can't "slew" the view smoothly.

ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
TrackIR4 Pro
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
#2861130 - 09/15/09 07:15 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: VF-2 John Banks]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "the view jumps too far."

Once you're holding the numpad 5 key down, you can use a combination of the mouse and the view movement keys described previously to shift the viewpoint to pretty much whatever you want.

As to the slider, I can only tell you what my joystick (X52) allows. I've set the slider to operate in "bands" with the top third sending the numpad plus key and the bottom third sending the numpad minus key. The middle third is set for no command. Then, when I need to zoom in, I just push the slider forward.

Maybe I'm just not grasping what the problem is?

Of course once you have the views set you need to program your joystick to those views or just use the numpad.

WH_JoeBob

Last edited by WH_JoeBob; 09/15/09 07:16 PM.

#2861299 - 09/15/09 11:36 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
ElAurens Offline
ElAurens  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: WH_JoeBob

Maybe I'm just not grasping what the problem is?

The problem is that mapping anything in this sim is as counter-intuitive as it can be.

Re read those instructions again for "mapping" a view.

Excuse me, that's a load of rubbish. Might as well have added "click your heels three times and make a wish".

The DIII's view is just another inexcusable oversight that seems to be the norm with RoF. In the real aircraft you sit on the centerline, not off to the side. Why make the default view wrong in the first place?

duh

Curtiss Fan Boy.

Online as BlitzPig_EL.
#2861332 - 09/16/09 01:10 AM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: ElAurens]  
TheDawg Offline
TheDawg  Offline

Ohio, America
What if someone else were in the seat with you, would you not be off center????

Like in Flyboys with a hot chick escaping enemy lines!

#2861395 - 09/16/09 02:49 AM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: TheDawg]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

Default View:

What I did is after initial install, I've taken a cockpit view screenshot of each default view for every plane just so I know what view position the game shipped with (I also take default cockpit view screenshots of new airplanes I buy).

Then I adjust the view to the view I want using ins/home/pageup/pagedown/end/del and save my new settings using f10

After that, I removed the f10 key from my key mapping so there is no way I can accidently save a new view. This insures that your default cockpit view will not change.

I have the following keys mapped to a joystick button to return to center cockpit view which includes the trackir re-center (f12 key):
f1-->num5--->f12

Hope this helps.

#2861517 - 09/16/09 08:44 AM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: BuddyWoof]  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
With "jumps" i mean, the view doesn't move precisely. I am instantly on the far left or right. And when i hold the 5 key down and use the mouse, nothing happens. Mouse doesn't control the view while holding the numpad 5 key down. But maybe i have to lower the sensitivity of the view speed in the input setup screen? I have set everything to max speed, so i can use the POV Hat to pan around quickly. Probably that's the rteason why the view "jumps" to the far left, right, up and down when i press the ins/home/pageup/pagedown/end/del keys?

ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
TrackIR4 Pro
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
#2861600 - 09/16/09 01:33 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: VF-2 John Banks]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Hmmmm, very strange.

When I open the ROF Settings to the Camera View tab I have the Speed set at Snap Mode, everything is maxed out and then I've chosen Fixed Snap View.

I personally want the view to get where I'm going as quickly as possible.

You might try having your Track IR turned off before you go to the mission.

If that doesn't work ... do you have Teamspeak? Perhaps we can coordinate times and I can PM you my TS info so we can walk through it. There's clearly something different between the way you have it set up and way I do but we could trade emails for days trying to figure it out.

WH_JoeBob

#2862451 - 09/17/09 08:09 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
I have fixed it! I had to increase the inertia in the camera options. I had it set to 0, now i have it set to max and i can smoothly change my head position in the cockpit. Thanks guys!

ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
TrackIR4 Pro
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
#2862467 - 09/17/09 08:32 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: VF-2 John Banks]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Glad it worked John.

WH_JoeBob

#2862521 - 09/17/09 10:17 PM Re: Albatros DIII cockpit off center? [Re: DD_JoeBob]  
Jimko Offline
Jimko  Offline

Vancouver Island, BC
Originally Posted By: WH_JoeBob
You have the ability to "set" your cockpit view (and indeed any other view) for each individual aircraft and sometimes they come adrift and need to be reset.
WH_JoeBob

Is this what has happened to my view in the N28? It has been fine in the few weeks that I've had RoF although I haven't put a lot of flying time in yet, but yesterday when I started the sim the Nieuport cockpit view had altered. It's as though I had my head much farther forward in the default cockpit view and the sights only line up with great difficulty...by moving my head to extreme positions. Then I found that TrackIR which used to align the sights beautifully with F12 (mapped to my joystick) would not align the sights anymore.

Yet, the SPAD views are just fine and exactly as before and TrackIR F12 gives me perfect sight alignment, something I'm used to from other sims.

I started looking for some help and I remembered seeing this thread although I haven't read it until now. I'm guessing that the view has changed on it's own since I know that I didn't hit any key inadvertently and I haven't changed any settings. The N28 view was different when the sim started.

I guess it's time to learn how to change the views...thanks for the explanations in this thread. I hope that it's the correct 'fix' in this case, but I don't know what else could be wrong..?

Jimko

"The older we are, the better we were!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.