Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#2860878 - 09/15/09 01:10 PM Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' *  
Darkwing Offline
Darkwing  Offline

Texas, USA
Below is a link to an article you should read if you're considering buying this game.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2168777/video_game_review_the_fall_of_rise.html?cat=15

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2860889 - 09/15/09 01:32 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Darkwing]  
Dunkers Offline
Dunkers  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: Darkwing
Below is a link to an article you should read if you're considering buying this game.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2168777/video_game_review_the_fall_of_rise.html?cat=15

Why should we need to read it? I have now and it's a fair review, but, like all the others, extremely subjective - especially in its conclusions.
All of the points mentioned have been discussed on this forum ad infinitum; the reviewer offers nothing new to anyone here so, again, why do you think we need to read it?

Are you the reviewer? Just curious. Smile2

cheers

Once upon a time there was dunkelgrun...
#2860898 - 09/15/09 01:52 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Dunkers]  
JohnnyBoy Offline
JohnnyBoy  Offline

It is a fair review. And if it was a review of a FPS nobody would buy it for sure.

Sadly though, any kind of sim these days are in very short supply. So even if they are half finished they tend to get bought by the sim community anyway.

I've had a lot of fun with ROF, flying quick dogfights with Lazers QMB. But I have moved on to Black Shark, which has a great single player campaign.

ROF is and will remain on my hard drive. And I live in hope that it gets constant updates and improvements over the coming months and years.

#2860902 - 09/15/09 02:02 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Dunkers]  
Damocles Offline
Damocles  Offline

Inverness Scotland
I can't disagree with what the reviewer has to say, except maybe the half star.

However, even with all the niggles, and having to pay for all the planes you want to fly, I still absolutely enjoy playing this game. Not only that, but, bar the developer going bust (always a worry) I have complete faith that the game will get better and better as time goes on.

Like IL2, I reckon it's here for the long haul. If nothing else it seems to be a superb engine on which to build any flying game you could wish for, so I reckon it has a golden future, whether it's with Neoqube or not.

#2860904 - 09/15/09 02:04 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: JohnnyBoy]  
FiveDigits Offline
The Grim Squeaker
FiveDigits  Offline
The Grim Squeaker

Germany
Originally Posted By: the review

Track IR works in full 6 degree DOF (depth of feel).
(emphasis by me)

I lol'd.

#2860906 - 09/15/09 02:04 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Dunkers]  
Feathered_IV Offline
Feathered_IV  Offline

Australia
"Born and raised in Texas I'm your standard run of the mill redneck."

Pfft. Should have known.

#2860913 - 09/15/09 02:21 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Feathered_IV]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I wouldn't say "run screaming" from RoF.

Indeed, almost nothing was said about the positives of the sim.

It's an opinion piece, like all reviews, and there's a lot more goodness to the sim than he's allowing for.

LOL, I wonder if he didn't just read forums and cherry picked complaints in order to write a review...

This was published on the 15th of this month, and he didn't know that four planes come standard now? It's hardly "fair" to say only two planes come with the sim in a review published at this late date. Sloppy work; somebody hasn't done their research, which again leads me to believe the author doesn't actually own the sim.

It's an axe job on the sim.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2860924 - 09/15/09 02:35 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Darkwing]  
Darkwing Offline
Darkwing  Offline

Texas, USA
You're calling it a axe job? Did you even read the article?
You said:
"This was published on the 15th of this month, and he didn't know that four planes come standard now?"

I quote from the article:
"At the time of its release Rise of Flight came with only two flyable aircraft. The Fokker D7 for the Germans and the Spad XIII for the allied. With their first update patch they made two more planes available for free and opened a store on their website where you could buy other planes
for $7.62 each."

And again I quote the article:
"I guess the grumblings from the peanut gallery forced them to give away two extra planes with the first update but still I think this was a pretty low way to launch a game."

Maybe try thinking before you speak (type).

#2860928 - 09/15/09 02:40 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Darkwing]  
Darkwing Offline
Darkwing  Offline

Texas, USA
I thought I'd mention that I pre ordered the game and it arrived THE DAY OF RELEASE. My forced registration with Neoqb will prove that. Also, it's an opinion article and I'm free to my opinion. You are free to have yours and I thank you for posting.

#2860956 - 09/15/09 03:16 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Darkwing]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Too much of a rant, not enough objective review - and Lord knows I've been very critical of RoF myself.

BTW, where's the SimHQ review?

#2860967 - 09/15/09 03:25 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Darkwing]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Darkwing
Maybe try thinking before you speak (type).

Quote:
It only came with 2 planes! Forty bucks for two stinking planes! Oh sure, if you read the fine print they kind of warn you. I'm paraphrasing here, 'With this game you can fly lots of great old planes like the Fokker D7 and the Spad XIII (and more planes to be released with upcoming patches). What they failed to mention in the fine print is that they are going to charge you the better part of ten bucks per plane and make you wait months and months for them to eek them out . I guess the grumblings from the peanut gallery forced them to give away two extra planes with the first update but still I think this was a pretty low way to launch a game. They'd have been better off releasing the game with all the planes and just charging five or ten dollars a month to play online like World of Warcraft or other such games.

He stated several times that they only give two planes and then at the very end he states, oh yea btw there are actually 4 planes the the whole first 90% of my review is a misrepresentation of the facts. Granted he did mention earlier that there were two more planes but he also mentioned earlier that there were only two planes.He does not even mention what those planes were. He completely glosses over the facts because they do not help prove his argument. He gives mixed signals off and on. That is a hatchet job if I ever read one.

#2860969 - 09/15/09 03:29 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Master]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Seems a pretty fair review,and certainly not one that neoqb would be happy with.
There go a few more potential sales!

#2860980 - 09/15/09 03:39 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Dart]  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
Originally Posted By: Dart

Indeed, almost nothing was said about the positives of the sim.

"Here are the pros:

This is easily the most beautiful combat flight simulator I have ever seen. The graphics are top shelf and the in-game weather is amazing.

The flight model is stable and seems fairly accurate when compared to similar games.

There is a master server online that keeps track of things like your kill/death ratio which I think is a wonderful option. You can go from server to server and keep the stats you've built up while flying multi-player.

If you have three monitors you can use either a Triple Head to Go box or SoftTH and be able to see the landscape across all three monitors.

Track IR works in full 6 degree DOF (depth of feel)."

Seems a fair review of ROF but too much rant for a professional review, IMHO.

Last edited by Buddye1; 09/15/09 04:04 PM.

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.
#2860982 - 09/15/09 03:45 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Speyer]  
MIG77 Offline
MIG77  Offline

Finland
I got feeling from review that author has agenda in it. He purposebly talks most of review about negative sides (most which are true) and only makes very few words about positives. Example here "The flight model is stable and seems fairly accurate when compared to similar games.", when in fact flight model (or flight engine, you can argue about "correct" data forever) is very, very well done and way above most games in current market.

Misleading (you dont need to buy anything if you dont like or only few) sentences like this: "Their plan obviously being to release a couple of planes every month or so and milk this puppy for all it's worth. Which, when you do the math, comes to around 39.95 + 7.62 x 30 (30 being an estimate on how many planes they plan to release) = $268.00 give or take." only makes you think review motives.

You can get used to everything, but icicle in the a**. It melts before you get used to it.
#2860984 - 09/15/09 03:46 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Buddye1]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
Some valid points, but I'd take the reviewer more seriously if he:

a) could spell - 'eek' vs. 'eke'.

b) had a clue - '6DOF' = depth of feel = WTF? = rofl

smile

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#2860996 - 09/15/09 04:06 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: jocko-]  
Darkwing Offline
Darkwing  Offline

Texas, USA
Thank you Jocko.
Eke Hence forth.
And Degrees Of Freedom

#2861006 - 09/15/09 04:11 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Darkwing]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I thought it was a rather sub-par review. Not that RoF doesn't deserve criticism in various areas, but to simply slam the game that way and rate it with a "half star out of five" IMO shows that the 'reviewer' certainly did have an axe to grind with RoF. It's pretty obvious that the reviewer is a BIG fan of dogfight servers, something that is in my experience actually of rather low importance for a lot of sim fans.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#2861014 - 09/15/09 04:26 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Para_Bellum]  
DD_JoeBob Offline
DD_JoeBob  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah
Agreed Parabellum ... while I can understand the desire of some (perhaps many) of those who fly sims for a dogfight server I also know that many prefer the coop style of play. I also found the review a bit of a hatchet job.

But then we old Cess Patrollers have to stick together don't we biggrin

WH_JoeBob

I'm a Chickenhawk and you're my victim, ya gonna come along quiet or do I gotta muss ya up?
#2861016 - 09/15/09 04:28 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: Para_Bellum]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
"The flight model is stable and seems fairly accurate when compared to similar games."

Understatement of the year. RoF may well have the best fixed-wing flight model currently on the market, with Black Shark taking the crown for Helos.

No mention of the damage modeling, which is also top notch. No mention of graphic effects never before using in a flightsim (depth of field...). No mention of the more than detailed engine and "flight management" required to keep those things flying.

If people decide not to buy RoF, it shouldn't be for reviews such as this but because of much clearer presented and honest criticism - and there are things enough to criticize, but at the same time glossing over the many things NeoQB got right is unfair.

#2861026 - 09/15/09 04:38 PM Re: Video Game Review: The Fall of 'Rise of Flight' [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Dunkers Offline
Dunkers  Offline

England
Bringing our attention to the review at 7.10 a.m. on the day it was published in the blog points to Darkwing and the reviewer being one and the same person. Also, both parties reside in Texas and both share the same opinion, plus there has been no answer to the question of identity. Not 100% conclusive but I rest my case. Christopher Mallard is to Darkwing as Bruce Wayne is to Batman.

Thus you should not read this review unless you understand this first - the duplicity of pointing to a self-penned review whilst attempting to pass it off as independent makes the whole exercise worthless. The views expressed are perfectly valid, but belong to a disgruntled individual and do not represent a balanced assessment of Rise of Flight.

cheers

Once upon a time there was dunkelgrun...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.