Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#2851645 - 08/31/09 10:41 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: sdflyer]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
Originally Posted By: sdflyer
Originally Posted By: womenfly2
I was on a BFR and the CFI pulled and emergency power out while on downwind to the runway. He added he wanted it to be a high obstacle approach from pattern altitude, 400 AGL on to a 2300 foot long grass/rock/dirt runway.

He was sure I would have a problem doing it since most of the pilots could not do it without a long final. So with that ... he pulled power.

Not discourage your achievements, but this maneuver is commonly known as "power off 180" and by commercial standards performed from downwind leg ("abeam the numbers" position) to designated point on the runway within tolerances -0ft, +100 ft. This is one of the few maneuvers average pilot has to perform for single engine commercial certificate.

just to give you a better idea and visual aid how it looks like

During my commercial exam in Piper Arrow my DE asked me to do power off 180 and touch the wheels right at the numbers. I did although I'm not good pilot at all smile

Quote:

Seems he had an issue with a side-slip and full flaps in a 172.

Forward slip in Cessna 172 with full flaps is nor recommended by POH because may cause partial obscuration of airflow to empenage causing slight buffeting

No not the same, sorry. It is not a high Ob approach into a short field. What you show is a constant descending approach.

High Ob approach is a typical approach for us (me) tail-daggers, always good to practice all the time, high Ob short field approaches. One needs to be one with the plane, know what it will and will not do. I did it so it can be done, someone else may not be able to.

Also any slip causes partial obscuration of airflow to any empenage which may causes light buffeting. The trick to learn is how far to go.

Last edited by womenfly2; 08/31/09 10:43 PM.

Gateway FX7026 Quad core 2.5GHz, 7.1 Audio, 8 gig ram
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Bose Champion-5 sound system
Samsung 2493HM LCD 24" monitor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250 w/ 1 GB GDDR3.
Direct X10
In the process of building a full size J3 Piper Cub! .. the L-4 version.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2851671 - 08/31/09 11:02 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: sdflyer]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
Originally Posted By: sdflyer
Originally Posted By: Freycinet

There were two problems with CJ "Heater" Heatly flying the Triplane, lack of respect for it, and lack of knowlege on what to do with you feet in an airplane.

actually it's true for any airplane. I just can imagine WWI pilot tries to fly F-14 with the same dramatic results smile

Yep, that's a pilot that will be dangerous in any airplane.

http://www.videosift.com/video/Iceman-The-Later-Years-SNL

S!
TX-EcoDragon

http://www.txsquadron.com
#2851681 - 08/31/09 11:09 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: womenfly2]  
BlueRaven Offline
Flight Instructor
BlueRaven  Offline
Flight Instructor

Oklahoma
I was on a BFR and the CFI pulled and emergency power out while on downwind to the runway. He added he wanted it to be a high obstacle approach from pattern altitude, 400 AGL on to a 2300 foot long grass/rock/dirt runway.

He was sure I would have a problem doing it since most of the pilots could not do it without a long final. So with that ... he pulled power.

I flew to about a 15 degree flare point at 400 AGL, applied full flap, trimmed, turned very short base-leg, got her lined up with the runway, then brought her into a straight side-slipped right down to the last 3 feet, she was shaking like all hell just broke loose, strengthen her out, flared and kissed the ground.

Taxied her off the active, roll to the tie down and shut her down. It was then ....

.... the white knuckled CFI looked at me and said, " that was great! ..... just don't do it again!"

Seems he had an issue with a side-slip and full flaps in a 172.

Cheers.

I've been flying some 172's recently with a friend who is a flight instructor. He always tells me not to slip them since he knows I slip my 150 all the time. Once we were coming in too high, so instead of slipping I just pointed the nose down and picked up speed then zoomed along in ground effect. It was a huge runway so it didn't matter. I think he would have rather me slipped it in, as before I leveled off I actually saw his hands headed toward the yoke.

I don't think you are supposed to slip c150's with full flaps, but I have mine. It sure comes down fast with 40 degrees of flaps and a big slip. Could come in handy if you needed to get down fast.

My primary instructor was great. He taught slips and spins. On the commercial rating they don't even have you do real stalls. You get the horn and recover.

I'm glad I didn't do my training through a university. They don't do anything to help promote the love of flying. Also I'm sure I wouldn't have solo'd at 6 hours or finished my private ticket in 45 days. That 6 hours was also split between three airplanes. A Cherokee 140, Cessna 150, and a Taylorcraft.

bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance attack ar15 bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance
God damned bananas!!!
#2851783 - 09/01/09 01:38 AM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: BlueRaven]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
Originally Posted By: BlueRaven

I've been flying some 172's recently with a friend who is a flight instructor. He always tells me not to slip them since he knows I slip my 150 all the time. . .I don't think you are supposed to slip c150's with full flaps, but I have mine. It sure comes down fast with 40 degrees of flaps and a big slip. Could come in handy if you needed to get down fast.

There is a placard placed on the panel of many Cessna designs which says "Slips with flaps not recommended". This is little more than a CYA to make Cessna's lawyers happy as a result of learning that a few variants of the aircraft would sometimes develop an oscillatory porpoise when more than 30 degrees of flaps is used along with a deep slip. Most Cessna designs will not do this to any extent worth worrying about, however in those that do, the nose dropping as the tail is shielded is enough for them to placard the airplane. Even in those particular cases that this does happen, all it takes to "recover" is to simply ease some of the cross controlled inputs out.

It does not say slips with flaps are prohibited, and if you extend full flaps, and try the maneuver (at altitude with a CFI that knows about the *real* issue here) you will see there probably isn't much issue. That said, MANY CFIs will mistakenly suggest that slips with flaps are prohibited in the Cessnas, and many owners/operators will even install a screw stop in the flap actuator lever to limit travel to 30 degrees in order to remove the placard! It's all really pretty ridiculous. . .and really just another example of people being trained to the lowest possible level by CFIs who were as well.

S!
TX-EcoDragon

#2852188 - 09/01/09 03:57 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: womenfly2]  
sdflyer Offline
sdflyer  Offline

SoCal

No not the same, sorry. It is not a high Ob approach into a short field. What you show is a constant descending approach.

High Ob approach is a typical approach for us (me) tail-daggers, always good to practice all the time, high Ob short field approaches. One needs to be one with the plane, know what it will and will not do. I did it so it can be done, someone else may not be able to.

and by "high obstacle approach" you probably mean 50ft obstacle? Now, I would say
CFI who would asks during BFR to show power off 180, from 400 AGL, to clear 50ft obstacle has some judgment issues..

No doubt that every pilot must know his/her airplane. The only tail dagger time I have are on Citabria, Decathlon and SNJ-4. In my opinion you wont be able to clear 50ft obstacle during power off 180 from 400agl in SNJ-4. So not all tail draggers built the same..

Good luck with your flying womenfly2 smile

Work hard, flight right

My "flying machine" specs:
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO | Core i7 | X58 Chipset | Socket LGA1366 | Supports SLI & CrossFire Only
Processor: Intel Core i7-940 2.93GHz Socket LGA 1366 Nehalem 8MB CPU
Memory 1: 3GB (3x1GB) OCZ DDR3-1333 Platinum Low Voltage Triple Channel (7-7-7-20 @ 1.65v)
Video Adapter 1: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCI-Express 512MB
#2852191 - 09/01/09 04:01 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: TX-EcoDragon]  
sdflyer Offline
sdflyer  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: TX-EcoDragon

There is a placard placed on the panel of many Cessna designs which says "Slips with flaps not recommended". This is little more than a CYA to make Cessna's lawyers happy as a result of learning that a few variants of the aircraft would sometimes develop an oscillatory porpoise when more than 30 degrees of flaps is used along with a deep slip. Most Cessna designs will not do this to any extent worth worrying about, however in those that do, the nose dropping as the tail is shielded is enough for them to placard the airplane. Even in those particular cases that this does happen, all it takes to "recover" is to simply ease some of the cross controlled inputs out.

It does not say slips with flaps are prohibited, and if you extend full flaps, and try the maneuver (at altitude with a CFI that knows about the *real* issue here) you will see there probably isn't much issue. That said, MANY CFIs will mistakenly suggest that slips with flaps are prohibited in the Cessnas, and many owners/operators will even install a screw stop in the flap actuator lever to limit travel to 30 degrees in order to remove the placard! It's all really pretty ridiculous. . .and really just another example of people being trained to the lowest possible level by CFIs who were as well.

You are right about Cessna 172 40 degrees flaps issue. Unfortunately many CFI's today
come out from "mass production factories". So fast does not necessary means good IMHO.

Work hard, flight right

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO | Core i7 | X58 Chipset | Socket LGA1366 | Supports SLI & CrossFire Only
Memory 1: 3GB (3x1GB) OCZ DDR3-1333 Platinum Low Voltage Triple Channel (7-7-7-20 @ 1.65v)
#2852297 - 09/01/09 06:48 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: sdflyer]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
By the way, here is a plane I built and test flew. Pietenpol Air Camper with Ford Model-A engine.

Direct X10
#2852306 - 09/01/09 06:59 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: TX-EcoDragon]  
ft Offline
ft  Offline

400' MSL
Originally Posted By: TX-EcoDragon
My complaint about the slips are RoF are to do with the fact that they are much shallower slips with lower slip-angles (the yaw offset from the flight path) and much smaller possible bank angles than in the real world aircraft.

In RoF even with full aileron it is difficult to apply very much opposite rudder without the aircraft rolling in the direction of the rudder (RoF has pronounced yaw-roll coupling, and a too much roll-wise stability), so you will tend to have rather flat slips in RoF,

This piqued my curiosity, as I thought I would have noticed it but had not.

I went back to the simulator and tried slipping the D.Va and the N28. I found that both could be slipped with full rudder travel with no worries. It was only when approaching the stall that I found I ran out of aileron authority to counteract the yaw-roll coupling. In fact, these two aircraft can be slipped in to land with e g full left rudder and full right aileron, controlling bank angle with airspeed through the elevator.

Going to try the other aircraft in my install eventually, but to make the chase shorter: Which aircraft did you find to exhibit this troublesome characteristic?

I'm not so certain it is necessarily a FM bug/problem either. I've consistently come across comments about the slightly odd (by modern standards) control harmonisation of these old crates. It would seem ineffective ailerons and strong yaw-roll coupling forced pilots to use the rudder heavily in order to get them banked around with any kind of speed. In the light of this, running out of aileron authority earlier than one might expect would not seem all that out of place.

OT edit: As for slipping the C172 with full (40 degrees) of flaps - I would check the POH carefully. I've heard of some models partially stalling the elevator, with an abrupt nose-down as result. Bad news on short final. There are many kinds of C172s, so what's fine in one may not be in another. Ours are, sadly to this downgraded glider pilot, limited to 30 degrees. Wikipedia, as always a reliable source of probably almost correct information, wink claims this was made to allow a gross weight increase though, in which case it is fine by me. Weight is more of a limit in that bird than maximum approach angle anyway!

The mere suspicion of susceptibility to blanketing of control surfaces means I'm not likely to use heavy sideslipping anyway, in normal operations. You never know if you're e g carrying ice back there or if the airframe has been bent somewhere down the line since leaving the factory, and what that will do to the handling. Short final is the wrong place to find out.

Cheers,
Fred

Last edited by ft; 09/01/09 07:16 PM.
#2852309 - 09/01/09 07:01 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: womenfly2]  
Catfish Offline
Catfish  Offline

Where the ocean meets the sky
Hello,

hehe when you mentioned the Pietenpol back then i had to download a free version for FS9, and vitually fly it. Nice plane, has all the attributes of the early crates, and i guess you really learn to fly it by feeling every little shudder, misfiring, and dust particle on the runway lol.
B.t.w. a lot of nice videos about various Pietenpols at YouTube.

Greetings,
Catfish

#2852334 - 09/01/09 07:38 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: ft]  
sdflyer Offline
sdflyer  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: ft

OT edit: As for slipping the C172 with full (40 degrees) of flaps - I would check the POH carefully. I've heard of some models partially stalling the elevator, with an abrupt nose-down as result. Bad news on short final.

I flown C-172N, unless you do cross control stall on final your are pretty much fine doing forward slip with 40 degrees flaps smile

Work hard, flight right

#2852336 - 09/01/09 07:38 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: womenfly2]  
sdflyer Offline
sdflyer  Offline

SoCal
By the way, here is a plane I built and test flew. Pietenpol Air Camper with Ford Model-A engine.

Nice picture. Shame it's black in white in our digital age ! smile

Work hard, flight right

#2852352 - 09/01/09 08:03 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: sdflyer]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
Better ...

Direct X10
#2852355 - 09/01/09 08:05 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: ft]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
Originally Posted By: ft

I went back to the simulator and tried slipping the D.Va and the N28. I found that both could be slipped with full rudder travel with no worries. It was only when approaching the stall that I found I ran out of aileron authority to counteract the yaw-roll coupling. In fact, these two aircraft can be slipped in to land with e g full left rudder and full right aileron, controlling bank angle with airspeed through the elevator.

Going to try the other aircraft in my install eventually, but to make the chase shorter: Which aircraft did you find to exhibit this troublesome characteristic?

My comment isn't that there is a loss of aileron authority near and post-stall (as would be expected) or that you can't use full rudder. . .it's that the slip angle and the bank angles which can be maintained are shallower than I'd expect.

S!
TX-EcoDragon

#2852376 - 09/01/09 08:28 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: TX-EcoDragon]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
These planes fly not on air, but on 0's & 1's.

Direct X10
#2852412 - 09/01/09 09:13 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: womenfly2]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Exactly to the point Womenfly2... But if the illusion of reality is so well-crafted by RoF that some forget it, then that is a good thing, isn't it? smile

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#2852422 - 09/01/09 09:30 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: Warbirds]  
BlueRaven Offline
Flight Instructor
BlueRaven  Offline
Flight Instructor

Oklahoma
I love Pietenpol's. I like how many different engines have been stuck on the front of them. If I built one I think I would put a Chevy Corvair engine on it.

How much horsepower did you get out of the old Ford engine?

When I was up at Oshkosh this year, I saw one with a 110hp radial engine mounted on the front.

Pretty dang good design. Originally designed in what 1929? Still being made and flown.

bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance attack ar15 bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance
God damned bananas!!!
#2852432 - 09/01/09 09:42 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: womenfly2]  
sdflyer Offline
sdflyer  Offline

SoCal
Better ...

Much better! Did you restore it or build a replica?

Work hard, flight right

#2852439 - 09/01/09 09:52 PM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: sdflyer]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
Looks like a fun aircraft. Lots of character.

RD.

Beyond gliding distance
#2852546 - 09/02/09 01:15 AM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: RocketDog]  
womenfly2 Offline
womenfly2  Offline

NH
I built it from the plans in the 1929 Flying and Glider manual purchased from the EAA. Did all the woodwork, metal work, welding right thru paint all myself. Even test flew her for her very first flight and she was tail-heavy! But she would also hang on the prop like a D.vII.

The Model-A with the 4 mod's I did put out 59HP and she will throw a 84" dia x 43" pitch prop with a blade width of 7". All this at 1800 RPM. She flies like balancing a base-ball bat on the end of your finger.

Just like a WW-1 plane. Gets hot in back of the radiator and had a leak once, one quickly finds out its not a great place for it!

Fun ..... that's and understatement!

Last edited by womenfly2; 09/02/09 01:16 AM.

Direct X10
#2852622 - 09/02/09 03:54 AM Re: Real pilots that have this sim,,,how does it fly? [Re: womenfly2]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

Yes yes that's all very well .... but where do you store the stilleto's, compact and whip ?

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.