Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2850260 - 08/29/09 08:14 AM Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2?  
Mo1974 Offline
Mo1974  Offline

UK
Hi guys,
I recently picked up Arma and Queen's Gambit and am enjoying it - but I discover Arma2 is out. I think I am a bit behind the times sleepy

My questions are whether I should get Arma2 now? Are the new features worth the upgrade? Will the new 1.4 patch improve performance (maybe no one knows that yet)?

I am concerned that my machine will not be up to the task. It is dual core 2.33ghz, 4gb, Geforce 9600gt 512mb.
I know the CPU is not so good, but do any of you run Arma2 with a similar system? I am not bothered about running it high res or graphics; I would be happy at 1200x800 at medium.

I have looked through forums but not found anyone so far with the same specs, so I hope you won't mind me asking here.

Yes, I know I should try the demo but I tried downloading it three times, and each time I got a corrupt d/l and now I've gone over my d/l allowance.

Any replies really appreciated!

Thanks,

Mo.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2850295 - 08/29/09 11:29 AM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Mo1974]  
Torquatus Offline
Torquatus  Offline

Brisbane, Australia
ArmA 2 will run on that machine, but you'll have to turn down some of the graphical settings IMO. I'm not sure you'd get 1200x800 at what I'd consider "medium" with a decent viewdistance.

For reference, I'm running ArmA+QG+ACE mod at full detail (except for no Anti-Aliasing) with a 7km viewdistance. To keep the same viewdistance with ArmA 2 I have to lower most of the settings in the "advanced" graphics tab to "low" or "lowest". Core2 3.0GHz, 4gb RAM and 8800GT. Having said that, I prefer a higher frame rate to graphics quality - YMMV!

With respect to the features, well it depends. My friends and I play ArmA+QG+ACE mod online, and we're not moving to ArmA 2 yet because it doesn't really do much that ArmA+ACE mod doesn't, and some of us have PCs that aren't top notch (but still play ArmA OK). The campaign in ArmA 2 is a lot better than the one in ArmA from what I've seen, though I still doubt I'd play it through more than once. So I suspect it matters most what the people you'll be playing online have.

I hope this helps, but I really haven't answered you question!

"I like to find out that I died, and that I'm currently in a ballet in China, and all the other very accurate and important things that the Wikipedia site brings us all."

-Stephen Fry
#2850314 - 08/29/09 01:38 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Mo1974]  
XRoK Offline
Shooter
XRoK  Offline
Shooter

Spurger, Texas
Originally Posted By: Mo1974

I am concerned that my machine will not be up to the task. It is dual core 2.33ghz, 4gb, Geforce 9600gt 512mb.
I know the CPU is not so good, but do any of you run Arma2 with a similar system? I am not bothered about running it high res or graphics; I would be happy at 1200x800 at medium.

I am running on Duo 2.66 Ghz, 4 Gig Ram, 8800 GTX
and I have no problem with it, I have set High and Mid for graphic and runs fine at either settings.

My questions are whether I should get Arma2 now?

I think it is well worth getting ArmA 2 for MP game.

Too often we focus on the negative or the misfortune of others and in turn neglect to follow through on our own responsibilities as individuals.
#2850346 - 08/29/09 02:36 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: XRoK]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
My thoughts on where you get a lot of the complaints on performance are when people insist on being able to max out all settings and run at a really high res. You should be good with that rig, especially choosing a more reasonable res like you stated.

Ditto on what XRoK said as well, most of the fun is playing Coop, especially with the guys here.

Cheers!

#2850758 - 08/30/09 07:44 AM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: MojoFlow]  
Misty Offline
Misty  Offline

Germany, near Freiburg
Try the demo of ARMA2!

#2850806 - 08/30/09 11:03 AM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Misty]  
Ojokoltsa Offline
Ojokoltsa  Offline

Originally Posted By: Misty
Try the demo of ARMA2!

He has already commented on that.

My questions are whether I should get Arma2 now?

Mo1974, from my point of view you better save your money, have some fun with ArmA first and wait a little longer. Bohemia Interactive has already announced a stand alone add-on and one will probably get ArmA II for a better price when the add-on hits the shelves, or maybe even a bundle- plus all the patches this game definitely needs to be (more) enjoyable.

Mind you, this is mostly from a single players point of view. The campaign may look good on paper. In reality it isn't working though. I, like a lot of people, am stuck now in a mission, which is quite extensive (if my information is correct, it's the biggest mission in the campaign) and I can't finish it because the commander miraculously died in our base. Practically, there is no way someone zapping him without the other personal in the base noticing. But there he is, lying dead on the ground and I can't finish this freaking mission.

That wasn't the only thing that was supposed to be there but didn't work in this mission. But I decided to do it the hard way and fought it through on my own. And now I can't finish it. I have to play the mission again from start and hope that my commander isn't dying next time again. But this wasn't the first time I had to play a mission from start again either and by now I'm rather fed up with this game and haven't touched it for more than a week now .

I can't comment much on the multi-player part of the game as I have rarely played that. In the demo I found the MP part pretty good. Actually, I even bought the game because I liked the MP so much in the demo. But no one is playing that mode in the full version and I'm not so much in the big scale coop mode most of the people seem to prefer.

I think the strongest point of ArmA II is the mission builder, which I understand is now a little more user friendly. So if you are looking for a sand box game that gives you the possibility to build your own missions then maybe ArmA II might be worth it. But again, if you're looking for some good single player experience I suggest you wait out a little longer and see what the coming patches will bring.

MoBo: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 4x3.40GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL8 8GB Kit | GPU: MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC 1GB DDR5 | SND: AuzenTech X-Meridian 7.1 2G | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550W | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB – ArchLinux | HDD: WD Caviar Green 1000GB (Data) | DVD-RW: Pioneer DVR-218L | Sony Optiarc AD-7240S
#2851069 - 08/30/09 10:37 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Ojokoltsa]  
Mo1974 Offline
Mo1974  Offline

UK
Hi guys,
Some great replies there, thank you very much! It sounds like I will be able to run it..but maybe I should make the most of Arma 1 while the price comes down and a few more patches are released.

#2852299 - 09/01/09 06:52 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Mo1974]  
Gerhard Blake Offline
Gerhard Blake  Offline

Finland
I probably will never touch ArmA 1 again after playing ArmA 2 quite extensively in SP campaign and MP. It's just so much better in every aspect. With v1.03 patch (and later beta patches) I have not encountered any serious issues so far.

AMD Phenom II 940 3Ghz@3.4Ghz - Gigabyte MA780G-UD3H - 4GB DDR2 - Gigabyte Radeon 6850 * FDF Mod * Local Defence Detachment "Kyllikki"
#2856495 - 09/07/09 09:04 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Gerhard Blake]  
Mo1974 Offline
Mo1974  Offline

UK
Thanks for your reply; it looks like I'll be trying Arma 2 soon - I just picked it up on Ebay for £8 smile I'll report performance back if you like.

#2856921 - 09/08/09 03:43 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Mo1974]  
Inkgnition Offline
Freelance artist
Inkgnition  Offline
Freelance artist

Wastelands
Thanks for your reply; it looks like I'll be trying Arma 2 soon - I just picked it up on Ebay for £8 smile I'll report performance back if you like.

Great price btw. you won't regret it - ArmA2 is a step in the right direction for BI, it runs better than the first one /at least on my rig/ and have some great new features.

"Don't mention the war!"
#2859443 - 09/12/09 04:34 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Misty]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
I tried the demo. After running through a few training missions, my PC crashed to blue screen of death! What's up with that? That's never happend with any other game. Is ARMA2 buggy or is it just the demo?

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#2859479 - 09/12/09 06:02 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Plainsman]  
Inkgnition Offline
Freelance artist
Inkgnition  Offline
Freelance artist

Wastelands
@Plainsman: I guess it could be a problem with the demo - the full game with all the patches runs great, no issues whatsoever.

"Don't mention the war!"
#2859503 - 09/12/09 06:49 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Inkgnition]  
Enven Offline
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse...
Enven  Offline
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse...

Lat: 33.7669444 Long: -118.188...
Plainsman: Buy the game, upgrade the rig! I am in the process of upgrading so I can get back on the bus and fight. I miss it, and I miss the guys. Once you get into it, you'll be a complete addict.

RIP Kevin "Positive G" Speichts
#2859780 - 09/13/09 12:13 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Enven]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

I do have regular ARMA. It ran great on my rig, but I thought the game wasn't very good. At least in single player mode it was poor. Very bad A.I., but I admit I never installed any patches.

The Demo did not run poorly on my four-year old, single core CPU. In fact it was very fast at the default 1280 x 800. I didn't try higher or lower res than that. I've upgraded my vid card over the years, so that must be why it ran well.

Anyway, the demo looked good and ran at high frames. But then it crashed to blue screen! Does ARMA2 REQUIRE duo/dual core CPU? Anybody running ARMA2 with a single-core CPU? What does it say on the retail box for required hardware?

Last edited by Plainsman; 09/13/09 12:20 PM.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#2859786 - 09/13/09 12:51 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Plainsman]  
December Offline
December  Offline

I think you are struggling to play it on a single core. Didn't know anyone still used a single core for gaming. oops

#2859793 - 09/13/09 01:03 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: December]  
Inkgnition Offline
Freelance artist
Inkgnition  Offline
Freelance artist

Wastelands
He he, i do - i'm running it on Athlon 64 3500+, 2Gb RAM, HD4850, WinXP: there is some stutter in big multiplayer games like "Berzerk" with more than 70+ people online, but i can still play and do alot of kills wink Of course i had to sacrifice some of the eye candies - i run it at 1280x1024x32, textures/video memory/aniso at Very High, terrain/objects/shadows at Low/Medium/Low, Postprocessing is off /i don't like the motion blur effect, just hurts my eyes/. Anti-aliasing is set to High, it doesn't affect the FPS in ARMA2 at all, at least on my rig. The game runs perfectly with high FPS on missions which doesn't include too many vehicles or NPC's - like small squad search and rescue/stealth/sabotage/assassination type, which i prefer over the big scale battlefields. It definitely runs ALOT better than the first ARMA, to my surprise too smile

"Don't mention the war!"
#2859870 - 09/13/09 04:19 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Plainsman]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
I do have regular ARMA. It ran great on my rig, but I thought the game wasn't very good. At least in single player mode it was poor. Very bad A.I., but I admit I never installed any patches.

The Demo did not run poorly on my four-year old, single core CPU. In fact it was very fast at the default 1280 x 800. I didn't try higher or lower res than that. I've upgraded my vid card over the years, so that must be why it ran well.

Anyway, the demo looked good and ran at high frames. But then it crashed to blue screen! Does ARMA2 REQUIRE duo/dual core CPU? Anybody running ARMA2 with a single-core CPU? What does it say on the retail box for required hardware?

ArmA2 is generally stable, but it can be troublesome... no doubt. When I set my texture details to higher than "Normal", there is a risk that the game will CTD at any moment. Single player in ArmA2 can be poor, depending on the mission. And yes the AI are better in some ways with ArmA2, but in other ways they are still incredibly bad. The AI are nearly unable to drive sometimes, and often are so dumb as to walk off the edge of buildings or ships while simply trying to get in a helicopter or something. Other times they will walk right into enemy view and stand there, since they think they are in proper formation there. Other times they enter buildings and get stuck or lost.

The way we play ArmA2, players have minimal contact with AI, we mainly just shoot at them from afar. The gameplay is very nice in this circumstance.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#2860104 - 09/13/09 11:38 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: adlabs6]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted By: adlabs6
Originally Posted By: Plainsman

ArmA2 is generally stable, but it can be troublesome... no doubt. When I set my texture details to higher than "Normal", there is a risk that the game will CTD at any moment. Single player in ArmA2 can be poor, depending on the mission. And yes the AI are better in some ways with ArmA2, but in other ways they are still incredibly bad. The AI are nearly unable to drive sometimes, and often are so dumb as to walk off the edge of buildings or ships while simply trying to get in a helicopter or something. Other times they will walk right into enemy view and stand there, since they think they are in proper formation there. Other times they enter buildings and get stuck or lost.

The way we play ArmA2, players have minimal contact with AI, we mainly just shoot at them from afar. The gameplay is very nice in this circumstance.

It sounds like basically a multiplayer game then?

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#2860110 - 09/13/09 11:51 PM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: December]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Originally Posted By: December
I think you are struggling to play it on a single core. Didn't know anyone still used a single core for gaming. oops

Of course you do. You know me. smile

I'm running all my games at max res with this old gear: 1920 x 1200 except the following: Lock-On Modern Air Combat, FSX and Black Shark. And I rarely play those three games anyway.

I may be lucky in that most recently released games that demand duo/quad core don't appeal to me. Basically, I only like flight sims, racing sims, sports games, and first person shooters with the name "Clancy" on the box, because those shooters have strong tactical single-player modes. The only recent flight sim that appeals to me that I can't run at max res is DCS: Black Shark. But I can still run it at 1280 x 1024, which is pretty darn good.

So why should I waste money on a new duo/triple/quadruple/quintuple core rig?

Last edited by Plainsman; 09/13/09 11:59 PM.

ASUS RTX OC 2080
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#2860256 - 09/14/09 10:33 AM Re: Is it worth me upgrading to ARMA2? [Re: Plainsman]  
franx Offline
Impersonal pronoun
franx  Offline
Impersonal pronoun

Philadelphia
The single player action in Arma2 gets a bad rap. Yes, the AI can act stupidly sometimes, but compared to the original Ghost Recon -- the game that definitively got me hooked on serious gaming -- Arma2 is brilliant.

One thing I've noticed (see my specs below) is that while Arma2 runs well on my computer, it runs great when I play it on the old ArmA 1 maps you can pick up off the web and import.

I've been meaning to jump into MP, but family demands don't often give me the freedom at the times the SimHQ community plays. The SP action has been very satisfying, though. And the editor rocks.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.