Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2839664 - 08/12/09 01:55 PM 4.09 and Storm of War  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
Lazy, hot August day....at least in the Northern Hemisphere, SOW news a week or so away according to the "Only a month away" thread (who thinks that will happen?) so let's speculate, or not.
(this is really too long and meaningless so unless you are really, really, really bored, go do something else.)

We know Oleg said he would release a final 4.09 and that would end the IL2 series.
He, as usual with Oleg, will deliver said final through Team Daidalos.

But, what then....and why?

The article and the videos with it seem to indicate TD will continue making addons for IL2 1946.

That is welcome news, many of us still cannot run 1946 at full steam, what a testament to Oleg and team that their game, released 8 years ago is still challenging computer technology and worthy of additional content.

Oleg told us way, way back that IL2 could be vastly better but was hampered by what computers were capable of and that has proven true.

So, how many addons, after 4.09 final will TD release before SOW gets done?
I think at least 2.

Will TD use any outside developed map?
There are several excellent maps that are not really too big for the average computer, maybe one of the new North Africa maps?
There are great large maps too but these tax systems that are not pretty near top line so I would expect TD to steer clear of them.

So far there has been no indication that any TD addon release for 1946 will cost money
It appears they will be free.
OK, I think TD will release 1946 stuff free and then, when SOW gets here, they will be prepared to build quality addons which they will offer us at a price.

That is fine with me and here is why.
Oleg spoiled us with his "patches"
Patches, BM,(Before Maddox...Before Oleg does not initialize well) were defined as:
"Sometimes appearing but mostly not appearing, reluctant offerings that may or may not have fixed a problem or problems with the game."

Oleg released fixes that contained much new content along with the fixes and he did it numerous times.
What was generally perceived by us simmers as a "patch" was actually a free addon containing as much new content as some newer games being released today. (see ROF) (Thanks, Oleg!)

So, if Oleg releases just fixes for SOW problems and TD sells us quality addon material, that's fine here.(although we can expect howls of anger from some sectors expecting lots of free stuff.)

OK, we got the "what then" speculation started, let's go on to the "why"

Why is Oleg supporting TD in this venture?
The final 4.09, be sure, but why beyond that?

I do not really care why, just glad it is happening but this is a speculation exercise so....

Because 1946 is still selling due to the quality of and renewed interest created by the unofficial mods, some of which are extremely well dome?

Because Oleg needs to have a trained team ready to quickly add content to SOW?

Because SOW is still a bit over the far horizon and this is a great way to keep the franchise in the news?

Because....

I cannot believe you actually got this far but if you did, thanks.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2839761 - 08/12/09 04:19 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Sunchaser]  
Tree Offline
Tree  Offline

Derby, England
I started the 'only a month away' thread, and to be honest it was a bit 'tongue in cheek', personally i dont think we will see any screen shots in September. We have all heard many of the reasons given from various people why we have not seen anything of SOW other than a few 3D models, "Olegs protecting himself against the comptetition" is a common one. To me the the real reason we are not seeing anything is simply because there is nothing to show, everytime we have had hints from Oleg that SOW is close to completion he has then failed to deliver. 'System specs in May 2009', 'Dedicated Website by the end of December 2008', 'September 2009 release date' etc etc. Now i dont know why Oleg or his team have plucked these dates out of the air, it seems crazy to me, but nevertheless they have and then subsequently missed them by years in some cases. This surely shows that any news coming from Oleg/team about SOW has to be taken 'with a pinch of salt'. I have no doubt that it is still happening but i find it increasingly difficult to believe anything that is said. Actions speak louder than words, so someone please prove me wrong.

#2839942 - 08/12/09 08:29 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Tree]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
Well Tree, since this is supposed to be a speculation exercise, here goes.

I think SOW has been pushed back several times because the scope of the game has changed drastically and when it finally gets here we will have one whale of a WWII flightsim game with solid, free online play.

I also think we will have one whale of a WWII land war game soon thereafter, if not simultaneously.

I also think Oleg is working on an online WWII combined ops game ala wwii online, but this one will be great.

Why? Well, does anyone actually believe that Oleg and crew are building such magnificent ground objects for us to just look at in an editor or blow up at 300 mph?

So, what was going to be a Battle Of Britain air sim with future other WWII air theaters added on has morphed into an all encompassing WWII Air, Land and, Sea sim suitable for possible online subscription play?

Of course, the subscription part is for another audience, we will still get our WWII flightsim with the usual online capabilities.

I do not think Oleg and crew are trying to hide anything, I think the sim they were building is not the one they are building now.
I also think the continued interest in IL2 1946 with the Daidalos addons in the mix is calculated to take some pressure off SOW and make waiting a bit less stressful.

All is well in my IL2 world, cool new stuff coming for 1946 and SOW just over the horizon, maybe, please?

#2839959 - 08/12/09 08:50 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Sunchaser]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

i really really hope your right mate...but im with tree on this.

i was at the birmingham flight sim show in 2004 when Oleg announced SOW....so ive lost interest and hope of seeing this sim before my eyes give out wink

#2840004 - 08/12/09 09:29 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Razman23 Offline
Razman23  Offline

Five years to code a game?

I dont think so.

So far we have seen items (triple A and such) modeled that there is no way we will be able to see it unless you are a kilometer away.

I mean afterall what is left to model??????

The fluid dynamics of the oil in the engines?

Come now...............this game has everything that points to vaporware with some nice 3D models thrown in.

Raz
#2840066 - 08/12/09 10:23 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Razman23]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
Well, there is some real good speculating going on now.

BKHZ_Furbs, I hope you're right that I'm right.

Razman23, indeed, the ground effects and vehicles we have seen so far possibly indicate more than just a flightsim is afoot here.

Thanks for suggesting fluid dynamics, you just set the game back 7 months while Oleg investigates the possibility. smile

#2840881 - 08/13/09 09:53 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Sunchaser]  
Razman23 Offline
Razman23  Offline

Thank god I didnt mention the life boat buoys the Germans placed out in the channel for their air crews when they ditched into the water................OOPS! Did I say that out loud?

Raz
#2841161 - 08/14/09 11:27 AM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Razman23]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline

Luleå/Norrbotten/Sweden
Since Flight Simulator was shelved there is perhaps an opening for a new general purpose flight simulator. So if they are doing some ground work for that too I'm not surprised if they get delayed a year.

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#2841205 - 08/14/09 01:03 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Immermann]  
Craterman Offline
Craterman  Offline

Originally Posted By: Immermann
Since Flight Simulator was shelved there is perhaps an opening for a new general purpose flight simulator. So if they are doing some ground work for that too I'm not surprised if they get delayed a year.

From what I have read, that has been the plan all along. SoW was to be open for modding right out of the gate for offline play. But with MFS being shelved, it would make sense for them refocus some of their efforts. I could see were some different large maps would be very useful in the initial release to capture the general flight sim market. Hopefully, that would be delegated out, away from the core development team.

#2841326 - 08/14/09 04:07 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Craterman]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
Immermann, by "general purpose flight simulator" do you mean a civilian as well as military?

Interesting, but I think Oleg is more interested in wartime aircraft than civil and in WWII more than open time frame for the game.

You guys may be right though, about the open modding capability leading to other than military applications but I think, at least for the immediate future, Maddox will be military and WWII centric.

I have no experience with the civil sims.
Can elements of a working civil sim be easily adapted into a military sim engine?

It may be based more on what I would like to see than what will actually happen but I have more than half convinced myself that Oleg will release some kind of combined ops game in conjunction with or in addition to SOW.

I am looking forward to SOW but 1946 still has a lot to offer and it seems to just keep on giving.

Can you imagine what we will see with SOW based on what the IL2 engine has provided for the last 9 years?
Oleg, with the IL2 series, has set a very high bar for his team to clear with SOW.

Good times coming for WWII players, now I just need to hang around for ten or so more years to enjoy it all.

#2841378 - 08/14/09 05:16 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Sunchaser]  
Craterman Offline
Craterman  Offline

"Can you imagine what we will see with SOW based on what the IL2 engine has provided for the last 9 years? Oleg, with the IL2 series, has set a very high bar for his team to clear with SOW."

Well at least one good thing about the waiting, we know we won't just get a hastily thrown together sequel to IL2 1946.

#2841812 - 08/15/09 10:02 AM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Craterman]  
Tree Offline
Tree  Offline

Derby, England
Yep, hastily and SOW are poles apart.

#2841847 - 08/15/09 12:44 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Tree]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Regarding how long it takes to make a game:

Take, for example, Dragon Age (a medieval setting RPG). Its an AAA title that will probably vie for "game of the year". I've been a regular Dragon Age (DA) official-forum participant since June 2004 (it had already been in development a year or so). Its being released in November 2009, they say (but it keeps slipping a matter of weeks at a time).

That's roughly 6 years to develop. And, DA has a much bigger development team and budget than SoW (funded by Bioware and EA). DA is probably NOT harder to develop than SoW. Hence, SoW development time may be in the ballpark for an AAA title developed by a small team.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#2841913 - 08/15/09 03:16 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Allen]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

but how long did it take to start seeing screenshots and other info...ie...web site...system req...forum...and other PR stuff?

#2841923 - 08/15/09 03:35 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
but how long did it take to start seeing screenshots and other info...ie...web site...system req...forum...and other PR stuff?

Dragon Age developers were hassled regularly. Some said DA was a fraud (sound familiar). About around November 2006, a couple dozen screens were released. The fans $h.t all over them. No more were released.

The significant flow of screen shots and in-game videos started in July 2008 -- nominally for a Spring 2009 release date. Since then the release has been postponed a couple times (now November 2009).

So, the deluge of screens and videos made their true beginning about 9 months before the originally scheduled release (but the release has slipped roughly 6 months).

The public was apprised of DA years before it was released and a DA forum was started in 2004. The developers say that was an experiment that they will not repeat.

Nowadays, the new think is to hold back information until about 6 to 9 months before release. In some cases, one will not even know the game is in development until then. Apparently, letting the fans know too much too soon leads to bad public relations, they say.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#2841925 - 08/15/09 03:39 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
Actually, hastily and SOW do not exist on the same plane. (no pun intended)

The main problem with SOW is that the title has been anticipated for so long and we all thought it was being worked on way back when and, apparently it was not.

So, glacial startup and techno-creep = we wait....two more weeks, be sure!

#2841932 - 08/15/09 04:01 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Sunchaser]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

two more years, be surer smile

#2842286 - 08/16/09 08:55 AM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Sunchaser]  
Immermann Offline
Immermann  Offline

Luleå/Norrbotten/Sweden
Originally Posted By: Sunchaser
Immermann, by "general purpose flight simulator" do you mean a civilian as well as military?

Interesting, but I think Oleg is more interested in wartime aircraft than civil and in WWII more than open time frame for the game.

Yes, I meant both. Weapons aside, there's no difference right? hick
Oleg seems to like aviation in any form and we will get the SU-26 with SoW:BoB.
There's really no point in differentiating between the two after all (though separate sales generates more money of course), and he has made it clear that he is open for third party developers, e.g the Korea war that is all ready confirmed.
So I don't think he would mind if some of the Flight Sim add-on makers would create some modern content even if he'll probably concentrate on WWII himself.
Well, I hope so anyway, he's shown his expertise in that area for close to a decade now.

Last edited by Immermann; 08/16/09 08:57 AM.

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
#2842300 - 08/16/09 10:26 AM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Immermann]  
Tree Offline
Tree  Offline

Derby, England
It would be nice if Oleg/crew just finished their original concept of SOW first, before trying to cater for everyone.

#2842311 - 08/16/09 12:02 PM Re: 4.09 and Storm of War [Re: Tree]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
What do you think will be in the initial release?

Battle of Britain means a short time of intense action to most of us but....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.