Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2838434 - 08/10/09 07:22 PM Advce on fireteam management for the lesser mortals.  
snuman Offline
snuman  Offline

There are a few things I thought the vets might offer some help on.

Stealth +(/vs?) find cover for instance.

Does "copy my stance" really mean stay low?

Does anyone have a clear idea as to the utility of using each distinct order or is it trial and error hoping the AI use their own initiative?

Are there combinations when creeping up on a target, for instance, danger+ go prone

or...

hold fire + Stealth -->followed by choosing "attack ____" a separate tgt. enemy gunner for each and then when each has "eyes on tgt" ordering "open fire"?

I thought a few thoughts on these orders might help the lesser mortals among us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Snuman.

P.S.

Sure wish they'd do a youtube dev. diary about fire team mngment.

P.S.
A propos of nothing: What is the proper pronunciation of Corpsman? lol

I've heard four so far. smile

Intel Core2 Quad
Q8400@2.66ghz
2.67 GHz, 3.25 Gig Ram
XP Pro SP3
EVGA GTX 260
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2838468 - 08/10/09 07:54 PM Re: Advce on fireteam management for the lesser mortals. [Re: snuman]  
CrashDome Offline
CrashDome  Offline

Beer City, WI
I was testing this out myself pretty extensively and I use the following methods myself:

Safe) Units move in formation with guns down - face same direction
Aware) Units move in formation with guns always at ready - sometimes covering their "area" of view
Combat) Units move in formation by covering each other - leap frogging - tend to lag behind if leader runs ahead. They also tend to find cover behind trees, bushes, and walls that are nearby.
Stealth) Units move at their own pace trying to move from cover point to cover point. - hardly ever use formation and almost always go out of their way to find cover

I use aware when assaulting or evading. Keeps everyone in line and moving together. I use Combat once in combat and either holding position OR sometimes when moving forward in stages. I use Stealth when I move units to flank or when I want them to be smart about advancing forward into combat. Stealth also works well when you want to minimize exposure. Although I tend to think stealth has some unintended flaws and you need to keep an eye on your units as a safety precaution.

Stance is dependant on leader if you use the "Follow my stance" method. Even if units are in "Safe" mode, they will freak out and take cover if you drop to a prone position. Works well in the event of an ambush by enemy forces.

The other stances force the units to use only that stance. I never do this unless I am in battle and out gun the opposition.

Hold Fire works very well and I use it like 99% of the time with ground troops. Basically, they do not fire on targets unless they are fired at or you some form of a fire order. If done right, you can assign targets ahead of time and open fire for an ambush. Vehicle gunners tend to operate a bit differently with this command.

Corpsman (like: "Core men" said fast enough to sound like one word) : http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861600477/corpsman.html

Usually found simming in:
Falcon 4 BMS
iRacing
Arma 2 CO
#2838595 - 08/10/09 11:16 PM Re: Advce on fireteam management for the lesser mortals. [Re: CrashDome]  
snuman Offline
snuman  Offline

Really helpful, THX!

Intel Core2 Quad
Q8400@2.66ghz
2.67 GHz, 3.25 Gig Ram
XP Pro SP3
EVGA GTX 260
#2839339 - 08/11/09 11:37 PM Re: Advce on fireteam management for the lesser mortals. [Re: snuman]  
Los Offline
Los  Offline

WRT Fireteams (as opposed to squads) I always select "copy my stance" right up front. (I notice the AI will go prone when I do and stand when I do but are reluctant to crunch unless I specifically order them to) As a fire team leader it's "do as I do". When on movements and unless I xpct full contact is imminent I put the team to HOLD fire since there are times.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.