Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#2833266 - 08/02/09 09:29 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: Hedgehog]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hedgehog
Originally Posted By: ElAurens
Why do coop guys continue to think that all "DF" scenarios are "furballs"?

Because that's what they are. You join, take off (if you can get off the ground before some bozo circling overhead strafes you), fly to a central area where two dozen planes are flying around like a swarm of mosquitoes, and dive in. You eventually get shot down, respawn, and repeat. THAT's the definition of an endless furball.

You, Sir, are being an ass. You are disparaging a style of gameplay and a type of player with a stupid stereotype that you refuse to discard because it nurtures some sense of superiority. The IL2 "Birds of Prey" server gets mentioned because it is the perfect balance of realism and gameplay. The real professionals on the server (I'm not one of them) are the bomber types who spend a great deal of time planning their missions, sometimes in huge formations. When their leader is ready to launch, he'll come over to the fighter side of teamspeak and ask for cover. It's a real pleasure to watch them work and a rare pleasure to play a small role in helping them finish a mission. Some of us have jobs, kids, and responsibilities the require us to take the game in small doses. That's why I play the way I do.

Learn a little more about the thing you hate before commenting further.

Finally, any player who has played online, died, and returned at any point in his life to play again is a "respawner". Deal with it. It's a game!

Last edited by Smokin_Hole; 08/02/09 09:35 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2833268 - 08/02/09 09:33 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: Broadside_Uda_Barn]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Obviously no consensus here.

(this is why companies design products and not commitees)

#2833277 - 08/02/09 09:47 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: FlyRetired]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyRetired

Nope. That's why RoF needs to be a sandbox big enough for everyone to play to their style. I don't doubt for a second that it will get there. The rapid rate of improvement shows a high level of long-term dedication. That's why I'm not subscribing to the "no more money till they fix it" camp. When I recognize a work-in-progress as quality, I want to support it with the hope that it will someday meet my expectations. Without that support, it never will.

#2833281 - 08/02/09 09:52 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: FlyRetired]  
BigJim43 Offline
BigJim43  Offline

Tucson, AZ

Define consensus, it sure looks like a consensus to me, many more wanting the DF part to be included than those who don't want it.

Maybe with your 3k posts you are privy to something the rest of us don't know??

#2833296 - 08/02/09 10:24 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: BigJim43]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Define DF first, then ya'll can start arguing over again.

Don't know what Neoqb plans for MP next, maybe it'll be a surprise.

#2833299 - 08/02/09 10:28 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole

When I recognize a work-in-progress as quality, I want to support it with the hope that it will someday meet my expectations. Without that support, it never will.

Good post and I do agree with you.

What we need to end all "what is the best" debate is a ROF plan and schedule of future fixes and features that is well communicated with the players.

I am sure it will be debated but we would then be debating a ROF developer plan/schedule.

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.
#2833304 - 08/02/09 10:34 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: Buddye1]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Really not a bad idea, I nominate Buddye1 as commitee chairman.

Any other volunteers?

#2833312 - 08/02/09 10:52 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: FlyRetired]  
ElAurens Offline
ElAurens  Offline

USA
You know FlyRetired, I've done some beta testing too. And you know what? It didn't make me the all knowing spokesman for the developers, or give me any more knowledge about the future of the project, other than the small areas our team was testing at the time.

I know it makes you feel important. But let's face it, you don't know any more than the rest of us, so give it a rest.

A large number of current and potential future players of Rise of Flight want to know if more than just the current, coop based multiplayer, and it's poorly conceived "lobby" is going to be available.

It's a simple yes or no question.

If you cannot answer it fine, stop pretending to be "someone in the know" and be someone in the know and find out for us.

If you can.

Which I seriously doubt.

Curtiss Fan Boy.

Online as BlitzPig_EL.
#2833329 - 08/02/09 11:22 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: ElAurens]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Sorry, but you're really off on this one.

I don't know what Neoqb has planned for MP next, never have said I do, and I'm certainly not insisting that they have to listen to my ideas or the game is doomed as you have repeatedly stated.

In fact ElAurens, you sound like the elitist, claiming you know what's best for ROF, and how your ideas are going to save it from impending doom, it's a wonder they've come so far without you till now. You give no credit to this sim's designers for having a plan of action, and if they don't come onto this forum and validate your perosnal opinions, that they're ignoring the community, and it's a shame, and therefore the sim is doomed, and it'll be dead in XX days, months, blah, blah, blah.

If you can't get answers to question you think you deserve answers to, then too bad, life's a #%&*$#!

You got two choices, buy or not buy.

I'm sure Neoqb and their ROF design team have gotten plenty of advice, it's a big world, and ROF is played all over it now, and there's lots of fan forums discussing it now, and no doubt the designers have talked to MP flight squads about it, besides, the core designers are from a well known and world-traveled MP competitve squad themselves. Maybe they have an few ideas about where they want to go with MP, and with their sim next.

You act as if you have to be consulted before Neoqb makes their next decision. I'm sorry, but we're here because the guys behind ROF designed, marketed, and offered this new sim up for sale, they took the risks, and they incur the risks of their judgements and decisions, not you!

You have a right to your opinion, but you haven't done anything for me or my hobby interest, and I doubt you ever will. Can we even find your name in the sim's credits?

Right now ROF and the design team behnd it are the guys, not you, and there's nothing you can say or do that'll change that fact.

#2833336 - 08/02/09 11:32 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: FlyRetired]  
Vertigo Offline
Vertigo  Offline

Well my deal is this.

I work all day (I own my own business, actually..) and at the end of a long day it has been my habit to jump online and steal a few moments on a friendly dogfight server. I love to fly against "Live" opponents as sometimes I run across a newbie and even get a kill or two.. smile
I seldom fly co-ops as due to the time constraints in my so-called life, but I do love the comraderie of a cold one and a little friendly banter with the Blitzpigs and the like..

That is what is missing for me.

#2833338 - 08/02/09 11:33 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: Vertigo]  
Vertigo Offline
Vertigo  Offline

Btw, I am not trying to start a flame war. It's just the type of gameplay I was expecting.

#2833339 - 08/02/09 11:34 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: FlyRetired]  
ElAurens Offline
ElAurens  Offline

USA
FlyRetired, just so you know, I did purchase Rise of Flight, and every aircraft offered so far.

And I know full well the online background of the developers. Which makes the current state of the sim all the more perplexing.

Do you have any idea of the numbers of folks that are on the fence waiting to see if real multiplayer options come to fruition for this title? A whole hell of a lot more than are puttering about with this half finished beta right now.

The reason I've become so involved here is that I do see a gigantic potential for this sim and want it to succeed.

But without real online support it's DOA.

Sorry but that is the truth as I, and lots of others see it.

Curtiss Fan Boy.

Online as BlitzPig_EL.
#2833341 - 08/02/09 11:36 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: Vertigo]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

So fly?

#2833345 - 08/02/09 11:46 PM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: ElAurens]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

ElAurens,

You constantly state the obvious.

What you want, or say, or desire, or even expect is obvious.

People have been playing flight sims for decades, and people have been playing them online for nearly as long. It isn't hard to imagine what features players like, it isn't some secret code that only a few can fathom. The ROF designers have proved themseleves to be a pretty capable bunch, they can think, they can succeed, they've come farther right now than the majority of commercial flight sim teams ever do. Yes, Russians do have brains.

What you don't fathom is time. You constantly want it all now.

Fine, go to where you get it all now.

The problem is you're here, why are you here if you were getting everything you wanted somewhere else? Go back to where you were, no one is keeping you from enjoying your perfect DF fun, do whatever makes you happy.

#2833355 - 08/03/09 12:09 AM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: FlyRetired]  
TheDawg Offline
TheDawg  Offline

Ohio, America
ElAurens,

You constantly state the obvious.

...And yet the sky is still falling....

No online DF, wont purchase it till then.
And this is a crusher after waiting for Wings with Wires, then Canvas Knights, Knights of the Sky and that POS OFF add-on...
jeez, many of us are thirsty for online DF's against our friends and foe alike in a classic WWI sim, starved, waiting for what, 4 years now??
Big reason IL2 has been around since the demo in late 2001 (and whatever happened to the promised demo for ROF?)IS online DF servers, both quake and pure.

best regards

#2833370 - 08/03/09 12:25 AM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: TheDawg]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Dawg, I hope ROF comes out with DF MP capability too.

We haven't heard if and when they might either, but keep your eyes peeled every now and then in case they do. In the meantime I hope you can enjoy what you're simming now.

#2833430 - 08/03/09 03:03 AM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: Vertigo]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: Vertigo
Well my deal is this.

I work all day (I own my own business, actually..) and at the end of a long day it has been my habit to jump online and steal a few moments on a friendly dogfight server. I love to fly against "Live" opponents as sometimes I run across a newbie and even get a kill or two.. smile
I seldom fly co-ops as due to the time constraints in my so-called life, but I do love the comraderie of a cold one and a little friendly banter with the Blitzpigs and the like..

That is what is missing for me.

well of course I can't claim that you represent (as a demographic) a majority of on-line players, but you sure represent me. I love (insert famous WW2 sim, free game server tool and free comm tool here) because they allow me to participate toward the goal in whatever capacity I can given time and life constraints. During that time I interact with (mostly) great people from all corners--and occasionaly witness some amazing virtual flying. Nearly all these elements are now missing. This is temporary. I'll wager that by next spring this discussion will be obsolete. Then the debate will be comms or no comms.

#2833456 - 08/03/09 03:46 AM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
What was the question again ? boing

#2833470 - 08/03/09 04:11 AM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: catch]  
Spectre-USA Offline
X Air Force Armorer
Spectre-USA  Offline
X Air Force Armorer

Spokane, WA, USofA!
I dunno.

I'm so confuddled.

Hey, look, it's BlitzPig_ElAurans!

Hey, d00d, wazzup?

biggrin

-=Spectre=-
#2833496 - 08/03/09 05:52 AM Re: This is no MP stuff is getting to be torture... [Re: Spectre-USA]  
BigJim43 Offline
BigJim43  Offline

Tucson, AZ
Heh Flyretired what is your agenda here? Sure looks like you are trying to stifle this thread and I don't see why unless you are afraid that the developers may actually listen to their customer base instead of "form hacks"?

No one here is wanting anything bad for Neoqb at all, quite the contrary most here want to see RoF soar to new heights. None of the DF crowd is calling for the ilimination of coop, we just want equal treatment.

Telling us that discussion will not sway the producer of the game is silly on the face of it, of course they want to hear what the customers want and what potential customers want becasue as you so correctly stated it IS about the bottom line.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.