Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2828497 - 07/28/09 08:32 AM Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus *****  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

SimHQ recently discussed the latest status on the v4.09 update with Oleg Maddox and Team Daidalos' Martin Kubani

http://simhq.com/_air13/air_420a.html

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2828562 - 07/28/09 11:33 AM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: citizen guod]  
WWSandMan Offline
WW: Online Since 1992
WWSandMan  Offline
WW: Online Since 1992

Mankato, Minnesota, U.S.A.
Very interesting interview, thanks SimHQ for taking the time and effort to give the IL-2 community a look into future IL-2 development.

I hope it's not another year before the 4.09 update is completed and available... the whole reason the mod community has taken off was because of the perception that IL-2 development was stagnant. Now we can see that development still progresses, which is great news for the community.

Team Daidalos: Thanks for taking on the IL-2 project. Looking forward to your continuing development of the IL-2 series. Your invitation to have interested modders contact you should bring quite a few new faces on board.

#2828568 - 07/28/09 12:00 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: WWSandMan]  
Blackdog_kt Offline
Blackdog_kt  Offline

It's a win-win situation anyway you look at it. The add-ons will keep IL2 alive long enough until BoB:SoW gets released, plus the teams working on it will gather some experience and then probably move on to SoW add-ons.

The fact that it's supposedly compatible with mods (even if there are some glitches, the modders will probably work it out) makes one drool over the possibilities. I mean, if there's hard-coded support for radar, then that can be modded to include other radar sets by tweaking range, etc. Since they said that ground clutter is representative of the actual terrain below you, it might even be possible to see H2S bombing radars and not only intercept radars.

The Italian birds are very beautiful (is it just me or does the Regianne 2000 look a lot like a P47?) and the mission triggers will be a blast if they work on dogfight servers as well.

All in all, i'm surprised they can still squeeze new functions into a 10 year old engine. I can't even begin to imagine how much more flexible SoW will be in that regard.

To sum up, excellent and very informative interview. It was totally unexpected too thumbsup

#2828624 - 07/28/09 01:15 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: Blackdog_kt]  
Baco Offline
Baco  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
What Can I say, I am speachless....
Oleg never ceases to amaze me in the most excellent way.

And Kudos to Teal Daidalos.. Incredible work you guys...

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack Pilots make history.
#2828630 - 07/28/09 01:20 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: Blackdog_kt]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
I never had any doubt that eventually we would see this.. I just had no idea when. It is good to see the path that O & 1C have taken with this and some of the upcoming features are things that manyhhave been wanting for a long time. I also think it is great that this will not conflict with the mods.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#2828655 - 07/28/09 01:47 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: Bearcat99]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
NVM the previous version of that post.

Excellent news ! Been waiting for some of these planes for a long, long time !

Cheers

Nico.

Last edited by VonBarb.; 07/28/09 03:57 PM.

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
#2828682 - 07/28/09 02:12 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: citizen guod]  
I_Flyby Offline
I_Flyby  Offline

Ohio, USA
I gotta get back in the game! This patch article is fantastic, and very surprising. At least it caught me off guard! biggrin The mission builders will have a field day, not to mention the implications for online campaigns. IL2. Still the best combat flight sim ever, and still growing strong!
Flyby out

The warrior creed: Crap happens to the other guy!
#2828683 - 07/28/09 02:12 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: VonBarb.]  
Mastiff Offline
"just do it"
Mastiff  Offline
"just do it"

EL Centro, Cailfornia
I would simply pay for there work on updates $9.99 for all there hard work...I apretiate all they have done and will continue to do... Awsome Oleg and Team Daidalos! great surprise..I wounder how Ubi is taken it?

71st Eagle Squadron
www.anon6.com - Blogger on DCS Series 71st Mastiff's you-Tube
"any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back"
Asus x-99||i7x5930k||ddr4 16gb2400||GTX980Ti-6gb||
ATX1200Corsair||realteck 5.1||Win8.1x64pro||
TrackIr4Pro/ir||CHfghtrstck||siatekpedals|
|X52ThrteCntrlr||G15Keyboard/RzrMose||
32"LCD||2x7"lilliputs,1x9inc
#2828701 - 07/28/09 02:37 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: Mastiff]  
mash Offline
mash  Offline

So, is this a patch for IL2 1946? Is it free?

#2828732 - 07/28/09 02:59 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: mash]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Nice interview. Thanks Doug and Oleg and Martin.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#2828830 - 07/28/09 04:21 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: 20mm]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Wow. "Not dead yet" would be quite an understatement. Thanks for the detailed article.

#2828957 - 07/28/09 06:22 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
Thankyou Doug.

Excellent read.

#2829171 - 07/28/09 10:36 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: knightgames]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Thank You! It was excellent reading.
The video's weren't too shabby either. wink
I am looking forward to its release.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#2829184 - 07/28/09 10:50 PM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: knightgames]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
Quote:
Martin: It is our personal preference to work privately, in a small but experienced team, and release add-ons that are (1) closed to further end-user modifications. There are many talented people around the world who can enhance this simulator, there is no doubt about it. However, we would like to provide an alternative to those IL-2 fans who find (2) open modding inconvenient, difficult to follow, and prefer smaller but structured and unique content over quantity. If there are people who share the same vision as we do and would like to contribute with their own work to our project or cooperate with us, they can contact the team here.

Didn't like these two statements much I have to say...

(1) : Does this mean they found a way to protect the final patch, and the whole game with it ?

(2) : This kind of annoyed me as well. This sim has so much potential for expansion still, why focus on just one theatre of operations ? The I-15bis and Avia biplanes are nice and all, but shouldn't more important WW2 types take priority. I dunno, RAF on the whole for instance ? Open modding has its downsides, but it lets modders free to develop and implement a greater variety of Mods. Some aspects of the game (like effects or clouds) can be modded differently by different people, giving you a choice of what mod you want to use.

Finally, I'm not sure I like the idea of the team being semi-official. Official team with a 'plan' means planes or mods are likely to be rejected (and they should know...), plus they have the code and that's bound to attract many modders and deplete the ranks of the 'Open modders'.

Then again the new planes and features look fantastic... They really do. I really don't know what to think. I'm just hoping this won't force us to choose sides...

Cheers

Nico.

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
#2829257 - 07/29/09 12:27 AM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: VonBarb.]  
MicroWave Offline
MicroWave  Offline

Originally Posted By: VonBarb.
Quote:
Martin: It is our personal preference to work privately, in a small but experienced team, and release add-ons that are (1) closed to further end-user modifications. There are many talented people around the world who can enhance this simulator, there is no doubt about it. However, we would like to provide an alternative to those IL-2 fans who find (2) open modding inconvenient, difficult to follow, and prefer smaller but structured and unique content over quantity. If there are people who share the same vision as we do and would like to contribute with their own work to our project or cooperate with us, they can contact the team here.

(1) : Does this mean they found a way to protect the final patch, and the whole game with it ?

(2) : This kind of annoyed me as well. This sim has so much potential for expansion still, why focus on just one theatre of operations ? The I-15bis and Avia biplanes are nice and all, but shouldn't more important WW2 types take priority. I dunno, RAF on the whole for instance ? Open modding has its downsides, but it lets modders free to develop and implement a greater variety of Mods. Some aspects of the game (like effects or clouds) can be modded differently by different people, giving you a choice of what mod you want to use.

Finally, I'm not sure I like the idea of the team being semi-official. Official team with a 'plan' means planes or mods are likely to be rejected (and they should know...), plus they have the code and that's bound to attract many modders and deplete the ranks of the 'Open modders'.

Then again the new planes and features look fantastic... They really do. I really don't know what to think. I'm just hoping this won't force us to choose sides...

Cheers

Nico.

Just to clarify:
Daidalos Team does not have the source code of Il2.

#2829296 - 07/29/09 01:42 AM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: MicroWave]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Great interview guod! You know, Oleg (et all) has THE best sim going. I think about it, playing IL-2 for what, 9yrs now. The evolution of the sim is amazing.

Oleg, if you read this post, just remember I wrote you soon as the first demo was released. ...and you answered! Was cool.

#2829301 - 07/29/09 01:52 AM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: VonBarb.]  
Blackdog_kt Offline
Blackdog_kt  Offline

Originally Posted By: VonBarb.
Quote:

Cheers

Nico.

I think it will be mod compatible. They said it themselves, they won't "lock" the game with an anti-mod protection, they will just offer some "official mods" after the patch. The way i see it, it might need a new mod installer to overcome any possible glitches due to the new files but not much else will change. Maybe their aircraft will be locked, but i doubt the rest of the sim will be.

About the points you mentioned...the way i read (1), when they refer to a closed modelling process they probably mean that it's done by an "isolated" team instead of the entire community. As for (2) i think it simply means giving some new add ons to people who don't want the unofficial mods. If you look in the interview it clearly says "we decided not to fight the mods". They also said that the code protection is the same as the 4.09 beta, which means CRT=2 and not much more. Good enough to ensure some compatibility and cheat free gameplay in servers running a certain mod pack, but not restrictive to the point of disabling mods. Well, at least that's what i understood from reading the interview, let's hope this is the case wink

#2829351 - 07/29/09 03:39 AM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: Blackdog_kt]  
I/JG53_jermin Offline
I/JG53_jermin  Offline

China
I'd rather they lock the multiplayer with an anti-mod mechanism and open the singleplayer for modding. Yes, mods has improved IL2 greatly in many aspects, but mods also open the door for FM/DM cheaters. Now, any experienced pilots can find with ease such cheaters in any popular server on Hyperlobby. I'm starting to miss the good old days without mods. Though IL2 looked ugly compared to the modded one right now, it was not annoyed by all sorts of cheats. The online play was clean and fun. And there were way more populated full-switch or nearly full-switch servers at that time. The populated servers now you can find on Hyperlobby are almost all arcade ones. For a flight simulation game, this is not a good sign. The fact is that most hard-core pilots have left the online play or turned to singleplayer. I sincerely hope Oleg will lock the 4.09 for us online players.

#2829376 - 07/29/09 04:12 AM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: I/JG53_jermin]  
LightHead Offline
LightHead  Offline

Ontario, Canada
It's articles and content like this that make me love SimHQ. Well done guod and many thanks to Oleg and the Daidalos Team for taking the time to answer questions about this much loved sim.

thumbsup

Ever forward!
#2829531 - 07/29/09 10:37 AM Re: Interview: IL-2 Series Update: v4.09...Plus [Re: I/JG53_jermin]  
Blackdog_kt Offline
Blackdog_kt  Offline

Originally Posted By: I/JG53_jermin
I'd rather they lock the multiplayer with an anti-mod mechanism and open the singleplayer for modding. Yes, mods has improved IL2 greatly in many aspects, but mods also open the door for FM/DM cheaters. Now, any experienced pilots can find with ease such cheaters in any popular server on Hyperlobby. I'm starting to miss the good old days without mods. Though IL2 looked ugly compared to the modded one right now, it was not annoyed by all sorts of cheats. The online play was clean and fun. And there were way more populated full-switch or nearly full-switch servers at that time. The populated servers now you can find on Hyperlobby are almost all arcade ones. For a flight simulation game, this is not a good sign. The fact is that most hard-core pilots have left the online play or turned to singleplayer. I sincerely hope Oleg will lock the 4.09 for us online players.

I am not flying online too often, but i pick up the pace once every other month. In all the time mods have existed i haven't seen any cheaters on the servers i fly (and they are full real). Some other people that fly there have seen a few (maybe a couple of cheaters in almost as long as 3 months), they asked other players for a mission track (a lot of people record them to review their performance), submitted track to the admins and the cheater is banned. Honestly, if flying over the real English channel and intercepting player-driven B17s in a well-modelled FW190 means i have to pay the price of dealing with a cheater once every 40-50 days, i think it's a pretty good trade-off.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion and that's why there must be choices in this and not black or white type arguments. The best thing would be to have it both ways. Maybe a new protection system that disables mods for people who like the things you like, plus what we have now in CRT=2 for the people who like mods, which doesn't prevent mods but ensures you are running the same stuff as the server/mission host. Of course, there's always the argument that since mods became popular player numbers have dropped a lot on non-mod servers, but we can't force people to like the same things or fly in the servers we like.

Some will like mods, some will not, let both of them fly the way they want to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.